What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
From what I've seen, the section can be fun but it kind of drags and it just throws a bunch of lycans at you. I don't mind a bait and switch every now and then, but I wouldn't have minded if Capcom removed that section from the game.
Its a nice change from kinda being at the mercy of things to being able to just go nuts with taking out the enemy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its a nice change from kinda being at the mercy of things to being able to just go nuts with taking out the enemy.
I get it, but I do know the section is not fun on the harder or hardest difficulty, because enemies are straight up damaged sponges by that point. Thankfully, I'm on normal, but I can see where people's complaints are coming from.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I get it, but I do know the section is not fun on the harder or hardest difficulty, because enemies are straight up damaged sponges by that point. Thankfully, I'm on normal, but I can see where people's complaints are coming from.
I went through on hard and didn't have any issues with it. Thought it was a fun diversion from having to play carefully.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finally back at Dark Souls 3 after taking a break to grind in Disgaea D2. I think I just have the DLC and the final section to go since I've gotten all the lord cinders or whatever. Right now I'm bashing my head against the wall of Friede. I love that she has an unblockable instakill in the third phase of the fight so that when she does it and I don't think to dodge I get to do the previous 2 phases again for the 30th time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watched my older brother play Sifu. He got frustrated after dying in the middle of The Club. We're going to either play The Cowabunga Collection or finish up Double Dragon Gaiden.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Got 100% achievements on Drainus. Its a really pretty shootemup. Really good, but also pretty easy since it gives you really powerful tools.

Also finished Shadow Warrior 3. Really cool game, but really damn short for a single player game. The enemies are some of the strangest most creative I've seen rendered in 3d in an fps. Gameplay is really fast paced and movement based, kinda like Doom Eternal. You will take damage and you will have no idea what did the damage to you, but you have a few different ways to get your health back, just shooting enemies drop health orbs, you also find these flowers that spawn health pickups around the arenas and if you do an execution it gives like 60 health. Anyway, recommended, but just be warned, a run will probably take between 5 and 6 hours.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Got 100% achievements on Drainus. Its a really pretty shootemup. Really good, but also pretty easy since it gives you really powerful tools.

Also finished Shadow Warrior 3. Really cool game, but really damn short for a single player game. The enemies are some of the strangest most creative I've seen rendered in 3d in an fps. Gameplay is really fast paced and movement based, kinda like Doom Eternal. You will take damage and you will have no idea what did the damage to you, but you have a few different ways to get your health back, just shooting enemies drop health orbs, you also find these flowers that spawn health pickups around the arenas and if you do an execution it gives like 60 health. Anyway, recommended, but just be warned, a run will probably take between 5 and 6 hours.
Glad you enjoyed it. It's always best to get this game $19.99 or less. My big bro and I finished DD Gaiden. and we did a run of Turtles in Time (SNES).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, Resident Evil Village is complete. The COD section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Mother Miranda only took me two tries.

Rest in peace Ethan Winter. Like Sebastian, you're a great father.

With the Winters storyline over, where go we go from here? BSSA is making bioweapons, with Chris and his team heading over to their Europe branch to have a word with them. Assuming Capcom follows up on that plotline and doesn't abandon it, nor explain it way off screen. I heard rumors that Jill is supposed to be the lead for RE9 or make a return. Nothing's concrete, nor am I going to hype myself up.

Completion Time: Standard Difficulty, - 8:40'09"

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
@Worgen, Resident Evil Village is complete. The COD section wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Mother Miranda only took me two tries.

Rest in peace Ethan Winter. Like Sebastian, you're a great father.

With the Winters storyline over, where go we go from here? BSSA is making bioweapons, with Chris and his team heading over to their Europe branch to have a word with them. Assuming Capcom follows up on that plotline and doesn't abandon it, nor explain it way off screen. I heard rumors that Jill is supposed to be the lead for RE9 or make a return. Nothing's concrete, nor am I going to hype myself up.

Completion Time: Standard Difficulty, - 8:40'09"
Did you play the shadow of rose dlc?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finally beat Friede in Dark Souls 3. I kind of hate chain boss fights because you end up doing the early phases until you are sick to death of them in order to get enough practice in at the later phases. I'm at 68 hours and kind of feeling like the game should be over by now, this is why I don't usually play the DLC. I think Bloodborne combat is better, though maybe part of that is that I'm playing a sorceror and magic sucks.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finally beat Friede in Dark Souls 3. I kind of hate chain boss fights because you end up doing the early phases until you are sick to death of them in order to get enough practice in at the later phases. I'm at 68 hours and kind of feeling like the game should be over by now, this is why I don't usually play the DLC. I think Bloodborne combat is better, though maybe part of that is that I'm playing a sorceror and magic sucks.
Oh wait until the Elden Ring DLC comes out. Everybody on the internet will be tripping over themselves to pretend to be enjoying the absolute prison-rape reaming of the boss fights it will dish out.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Friede is one of those that almost feels like a late game Sekiro boss, in that it pretty much demands perfection. In my experience it usually means having to learn the fight so well after so many failed attempts that flasks are barely needed.

Not sure if you’ll try Midir, but they make up for the lack of phases with the *probably* second longest runback to a boss in Soulsborne history. At least it felt that way when it took my like, six or seven dozen tries. I recorded the fight though because I’ll probably never attempt it again.

Nameless King is another “vanity” boss of sorts, but it feels more reasonable overall.

Oh wait until the Elden Ring DLC comes out. Everybody on the internet will be tripping over themselves to pretend to be enjoying the absolute prison-rape reaming of the boss fights it will dish out.
Popular jokes aside, when taking into account the weapon ashes, spirit ashes, talismans, physiks, NPC summons, online summons, generous fast travel and runbacks, etc. this is FROM’s most approachable game yet. Certain weapons alone are certified “easy mode”, although every build type can still be made viable. There’s no shortage of videos now showing how much of a cakewalk (relatively speaking) the game can be with any of them. This is why the DLC will have a separate leveling system similar to Sekiro to make it feel like the base game when it was fresh.

The caveat is that yeah, taking the time to explore stuff is the main requirement for players getting there. But point being it can be a departure from the traditional *beating-one’s-head-against-a-wall-until-it-breaks (the wall, hopefully)* if they so choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Popular jokes aside, when taking into account the weapon ashes, spirit ashes, talismans, physiks, NPC summons, online summons, generous fast travel and runbacks, etc. this is FROM’s most approachable game yet. Certain weapons alone are certified “easy mode”, although every build type can still be made viable. There’s no shortage of videos now showing how much of a cakewalk (relatively speaking) the game can be with any of them. This is why the DLC will have a separate leveling system similar to Sekiro to make it feel like the base game when it was fresh.

The caveat is that yeah, taking the time to explore stuff is the main requirement for players getting there. But point being it can be a departure from the traditional *beating-one’s-head-against-a-wall-until-it-breaks (the wall, hopefully)* if they so choose.

Well we've hashed this subject out much around here so all I'll say is that this very common argument is one I understand but strongly disagree with. For some of us, having more stuff actually makes a game harder. And the wealth of youtube videos explaining things is the opposite for my understanding of the term "accessible." But to each their own.

However I'm still considering starting a new play-through lol (after having platinumed the game already).

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Pentinent.
So weird seeing xbox logo starting this up on ps5. Something nice to appreciate as we slip further down the abyss of species self-annihilation, ain't it? Love the chill experience, the way the quality writing conjours upon the parchment with soothing ASMR-esque pencil strokes. On the other hand, I understand why the artstyle is almost a requirement for the game's identity, but tbh have never been a fan of ye old English drawing aesthetic and liking this game hasn't changed my opinion on that. yet. Overall a positive contribution to the archives regardless, good work!

Next gonna be purchase choice between Penny's Breakaway and Hi-fi Rush when it's soon out. Hi-fi Rush been looking forward to even though haven't seen a single video, screenshot, nor read a review or heard any musics from it whatsoever - mostly just hearing unanimous praise everywhere, conflicting with assumed fate as an unattainable exclusive kinda meant I avoided burdening self with unrealistic desires by looking further into it. A pure blind playthrough is the platonic ideal and a rare tempting opportunity indeed! Almost like I planned this all from the start, 12D Sigma chess, mate... the perfect plan where by doing absolutely nothing it happened anyway!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Pentinent.
So weird seeing xbox logo starting this up on ps5. Something nice to appreciate as we slip further down the abyss of species self-annihilation, ain't it? Love the chill experience, the way the quality writing conjours upon the parchment with soothing ASMR-esque pencil strokes. On the other hand, I understand why the artstyle is almost a requirement for the game's identity, but tbh have never been a fan of ye old English drawing aesthetic and liking this game hasn't changed my opinion on that. yet. Overall a positive contribution to the archives regardless, good work!
Just in case you were unaware and still playing, there is a setting to have the writing be like normal/modern.
Half-way through the game I switched it when I figured I'd appreciated the art enough and wanted to just finish it.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Well we've hashed this subject out much around here so all I'll say is that this very common argument is one I understand but strongly disagree with. For some of us, having more stuff actually makes a game harder. And the wealth of youtube videos explaining things is the opposite for my understanding of the term "accessible." But to each their own.

However I'm still considering starting a new play-through lol (after having platinumed the game already).

True how that can be a double edged sword. What’s funny is for me it also ties into replayability, since there’s a lot more freedom of approach compared to earlier games in terms of getting a build together. I’ve made a handful of different characters on PS4 and on PC more recently, which I’ve never done in FROM games.

I tried a new character in Bloodborne and DS3 a few months ago but didn’t get far. If they were more action and less rpg I might be more inclined, but when an acute focus on leveling and upgrading for progression is paired with the more restrictive design it’s a bit of an off-putting juxtaposition. It took a more open-ended game and perhaps the added QoL stuff for me to see it, but to me if there’s going to be an rpg focus it just fits better when the player is given more agency.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Friede is one of those that almost feels like a late game Sekiro boss, in that it pretty much demands perfection. In my experience it usually means having to learn the fight so well after so many failed attempts that flasks are barely needed.

Not sure if you’ll try Midir, but they make up for the lack of phases with the *probably* second longest runback to a boss in Soulsborne history. At least it felt that way when it took my like, six or seven dozen tries. I recorded the fight though because I’ll probably never attempt it again.

Nameless King is another “vanity” boss of sorts, but it feels more reasonable overall.
I'm sure I will continue with the DLC, I'm pretty committed at this point. I've already beat Nameless King and yeah he was way easier than Friede and the first phase only took like 4 or 5 shots of GHSA instead of 20, so it was much faster.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
True how that can be a double edged sword. What’s funny is for me it also ties into replayability, since there’s a lot more freedom of approach compared to earlier games in terms of getting a build together. I’ve made a handful of different characters on PS4 and on PC more recently, which I’ve never done in FROM games.

I tried a new character in Bloodborne and DS3 a few months ago but didn’t get far. If they were more action and less rpg I might be more inclined, but when an acute focus on leveling and upgrading for progression is paired with the more restrictive design it’s a bit of an off-putting juxtaposition. It took a more open-ended game and perhaps the added QoL stuff for me to see it, but to me if there’s going to be an rpg focus it just fits better when the player is given more agency.
Right.. while for me I beat all the FromSoftware in only as many times as it was required to platinum (i.e., 2.5x for the Dark Soulses). Bloodborne is my favorite but I only beat it the once (with the 2x save spam with endings) but that included all the chalice dungeons so by the time I was done I was DONE.

But I beat Sekiro like 6 times or something. Sure a couple of those were for platinum but I also bought it on three different platforms and beat it on all three. It also has like ZERO replayibility mechanics or build variety- it's just gettin' gud with your sword, which I'm all about. That game is "easy" for me because there's just one thing to focus on.