What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shadow Warrior 3, movement based fps game, mostly arena fights. Combat is pretty fun and fast, story is, there, Lo Wang is kinda annoying, kinda lovable, will probably end up being much more annoying by the time I finish it. Does seem to have a pacing problem, like the levels are cool looking and colorful, enemies are unique as hell, but it seems like its really in a hurry to get things over with. So far I have only had a few enemy encounters that didn't introduce a new level or enemy to fight and I am rapidly filling up the roster which makes me wonder if I'm already half way through at only an hour in a half in. Well, I suppose we shall see, I did hear the game was pretty short.
Wang is more annoying in SHW2 than in SHW3. They actually dialed him down a bit. Then again, his original self in the OG games are much more obnoxious than the modern versions. Though 2 is the closest he gets to his original incarnation. There are 11 stages total, and the game can be beaten in 5-7 hours depending on difficulty. I know the was somewhat rightfully criticized for being short, but at least it didn't take long for Flying Hog Studios to add in the NG+ update, added in survival mode, and didn't take too long to go on sale. Honestly, 3 is the best in the trilogy as far as I'm concerned, and the problem with SHW2 is the looter shooter aspect doesn't work, and the game drags on too long.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wang is more annoying in SHW2 than in SHW3. They actually dialed him down a bit. Then again, his original self in the OG games are much more obnoxious than the modern versions. Though 2 is the closest he gets to his original incarnation. There are 11 stages total, and the game can be beaten in 5-7 hours depending on difficulty. I know the was somewhat rightfully criticized for being short, but at least it didn't take long for Flying Hog Studios to add in the NG+ update, added in survival mode, and didn't take too long to go on sale. Honestly, 3 is the best in the trilogy as far as I'm concerned, and the problem with SHW2 is the looter shooter aspect doesn't work, and the game drags on too long.
Maybe, its been so long since I played SW2 that I don't really remember, but in SW3 he kinda won't shutup.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe, its been so long since I played SW2 that I don't really remember, but in SW3 he kinda won't shutup.
Somewhat true, about not shutting up, but I found him more funny here than 2. Wang really shines when bounces off of other characters.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was stumped in Tunic for the longest time, for the dumbest reason - not realizing a door had opened. I went on a globetrotting quest across the world and completed everything just shy of that extra 1% skill/knowledge I was missing from going through that door in the first place. I'm pretty sure I went through the whole final area while technically being only halfway through the game's script? Explains difficulty ramping up like that.

So the game is obviously a big send-up to Zelda but more specifically has combined two other games to get there: Fez meets Hyper Light Drifter. It has the bubbly, playful personality of Fez with the wordless melancholy of HLD; it borrows the cubist naive playground aesthetic of Fez and the ominous alien geometry and LED-lined monoliths of HLD; both games also play around with limiting your perspective to conceal chests, pathways and crucial information (Fez is a 3D world presented in 2D; HLD is somewhere between top down and isometric).

The narrative is typically obtuse and boils down to collecting everything, or turning everything on (or off), but Tunic at least has its fable-like setting and hero's journey roadmap to fall back on for coziness and context. I'm less impressed by the in-game lore, whatever that may be, and more interested in putting together the pages for the little booklet that looks like a SNES manual. I'm leaning towards games that need a little deduction on my part.
You probably aren't there yet, but if you're planning to platinum this game you should be aware that a couple of the Secret Treasure puzzles are completely absurd to solve. A few are pretty much fine, but not communicated well how to enter correctly, but one requires something I think is completely unfair: #4 requires you to translate the language and then use it to solve a riddle. It's the only time you need to translate the language. Not really a spoiler on how to solve it, but just what's required of you. Look at it after you've finished pretty much everything else but before you bang your head against the wall for hours trying to get the last couple trophies like I did.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Grabbed The Thaumaturge and finally installed Shadow Warrior 3.

So far the Thaumaturge is really neat. You investigate an area to find clues to peoples motivations and problems then you have a number of options to either convince or mind control or something else to resolve the conflict. Combat is turn based, you unlock new 'cards' as you level your flaws, as far as I can tell, the cards aren't random, they are just a representation of the actions you can do to your enemies, like attack, skill etc. But its possible as I get more abilities they will be somewhat random. It does have issues where the story feels disjointed. Like, I was trying to figure out a situation where a bunch of pissed off lumberjacks were going to burn a woman as a witch, and to be fair, she did kill the village leader with fire, but when I reminded her husband that he loved her, everyone was suddenly like, "now go away and don't come back" and suddenly the scene just ended. It was very weird.
Good old eurojank strike again

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Good old eurojank strike again
A little bit, it plays fine, but the conversations are certainly disjointed at times. But, I think that might also be from a team not really knowing how to link a multiple choice conversation well into itself, I recall even Mass Effect had a few of those.

Reactions: meiam

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You probably aren't there yet, but if you're planning to platinum this game you should be aware that a couple of the Secret Treasure puzzles are completely absurd to solve. A few are pretty much fine, but not communicated well how to enter correctly, but one requires something I think is completely unfair: #4 requires you to translate the language and then use it to solve a riddle. It's the only time you need to translate the language. Not really a spoiler on how to solve it, but just what's required of you. Look at it after you've finished pretty much everything else but before you bang your head against the wall for hours trying to get the last couple trophies like I did.
Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. Fez and The Witness have really made me paranoid about keeping an eye out for hidden meaning in just about any seemingly random pattern or detail in the background. I figured Tunic would have something like that as soon as I started finding all those conspicuously empty rooms.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RE8 - I completed the puppet section, and I never want to do that again! No thank you!

EDIT: I completed Moreau's section, and it's even shorter. Capcom was just throwing ideas everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worgen

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Decided to do Call of Duty 2 before Black Ops 2, for some reason I don't even remember. The game's basically fine, though it does have a few issues. You can't throw grenades back, which is kind of mean when the enemy (and NPCs) can do it to/for you. Most of the guns in each category feel the exact same as each other with only minor variations, and the lack of attachments hurts weapon variety even more. The checkpoints are genuinely some of the worst in the series, fighting anything at long range is impossible due to damage dropoff, there are practically no memorable characters and the plotline is "it's World War 2, shoot some Nazis" with nothing that special going on.

I didn't dislike it, as such, but I'm not really interested in playing it again, and for anyone looking for a game set in WW2, I'd point you at CoD: World at War over 2.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You guys got suggestions for games that I can play with my partner? Doesn't have to be in the vein of It Takes Two, we'd actually prefer something that we can either play together but still play individually if we want.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You guys got suggestions for games that I can play with my partner? Doesn't have to be in the vein of It Takes Two, we'd actually prefer something that we can either play together but still play individually if we want.
Streets of Rage 4, The TakeOver, and Final Vendetta. Maybe Super Mario Wonder, if you got a Switch.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Stalker: Chernobie Shadows
First, and as of yet only jump-scare was the audio freaking out when I got too close to some wooden boards, playing the one sound of the object's basic collision audio like a 1000 times a second. A particular unpredictable discomfort rarely spotted outside of 🤌 Exquisite Eurojank 🤌

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hum there's a lot of survival sim (ark, palworld, 7days) that are pretty good at asynchronous multiplayer since you can just log on and do small task by yourself and tackle bigger content when your both on.

I'm not sure how much fun deep rock galactic is if there's only two, but that could work if you like roguelike/borderland esque game.

Risk of rain 2 is pretty fun, but intense.

Sea of thieve did nothing for me, but I know a lot of people like it.

I really liked wizard of legend for a fun, quick pace rogue like with MP.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RE: VILLAGE - Defeated the Bloodborne boss with the giant hammer, and at Heisenberg's factory now.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing are all about that?
I never game with others but I know SV has cross-play of some sort, I dunno exactly how it works. And I see my nieces play Animal Crossing on their own and together.. somehow... I dunno. That and Roblox.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Unravel Two if you like chaotic co-op and want the relationship to end.

You can toggle single player just like that and it makes the games much easier, actually.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Played some 80 Days, finished a route in 44 days.

It is really well written, as I believe I've already said.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, I'm at the part of RE8 Village where it turns into fucking CALL OF DUTY! I'm stopping for tonight, as I got work later this morning.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ha, yeah, that is pretty awesome.
From what I've seen, the section can be fun but it kind of drags and it just throws a bunch of lycans at you. I don't mind a bait and switch every now and then, but I wouldn't have minded if Capcom removed that section from the game.