Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Full Review (spoilers)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I meant Odin. First you have to beat him in the VR thing to get his materia/summon, then you have to beat him with Alexander.
Ohhhhhh yeah you gotta nuke him. Quakaga is good to use. Have aerith drop arcane ward and get a double cast on him and it will fuck his face.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
For 25 years I been hearing about this Aerith dying thing but turns out it was all a lie!

/s, obvy.

The ending was a batshit insane and wonderful as the rest of the game. The 14 stage final boss fight was exactly the kind of escalating bullshit madness I expected so at least I made sure to drink plenty of water before starting it (and thank god the game lets you pause in the middle of fights and cut scenes, something that should be legally mandatory for modern games at this point).
There were two parts that were real bullshit- at one point you have to react to some huge wings and use different magic depending on what the wings are doing which I had to look up online to figure out because those wings are off the screen for much of the time! More of that off the screen crap that keeps ruining action games for me...
Then at the very end Sephiroth pulls a move that just kills everybody. So I had to try over and over and lemme tell you I was so worried I'd have to do all the stages again which would have made me quit and watch the ending on youtube. When you die there one of the most poorly worded and confusing confirmation boxes appears, that's like "do you want to start from the current battle or before the current" and options that are similarly but not exactly worded so I was like wtf. Then I selected one and it started showing moments from the previous stages and I thought I was f'd but then not really it was just an unskippable cut scene recap... like they f'd with me but due to bad design not on purpose.

I thought the final cut scenes were rather lovely actually. I get why old school fans were upset but for me, since they were leaning into all this multi-verse bent reality stuff, it made sense to me. Well, not logical sense or anything, but like video game sense. And frankly I'm guessing they just wanted to leave the door open for Aerith to be a part of the next/final game. Like maybe Cloud could use her as a summon or something.

Overall verdict: it's like 1 pretty good game surrounded by 5 kinda ok games and 2 shitty games. 5/10, I had fun.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
One small annoyance about the final fight; I didn't have an Assess Materia on one of the forced team members during the Bahamut Arisen Whisper fight and the game didn't let me change equipment either.

Screw that shit.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
One small annoyance about the final fight; I didn't have an Assess Materia on one of the forced team members during the Bahamut Arisen Whisper fight and the game didn't let me change equipment either.

Screw that shit.
there is a small button on the bottom of the cutscenes where you can hold square and it'll bring up a menu right before the fight starts to change your equips

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
there is a small button on the bottom of the cutscenes where you can hold square and it'll bring up a menu right before the fight starts to change your equips
I was looking out for that button to appear, but these are the cutscenes that have the Battle UI displayed.

I tried holding the Square button which is usually the one to hold, but nothing happened. Even selected the Retry From Before Battle option to replay the scene or hope that the game would allow me access to the menu before playing the scenes, but it didn't seem to work out. Maybe I didn't hold it for long enough.

I'll just blitz through the fights again later. Maybe this time I'll even get to pop off a certain black haired character's limit break.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've been grinding AP to master materia that I neglected in order to tackle the Brutal challenges and hardmode. Even with bonuses the AP is slow and of course I need the hardest materia to level mastered in order to beat down the difficult combat.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Tifa's limit break is awesome. :)
I want to see my boy Zack flex his shit :(

I've been grinding AP to master materia that I neglected in order to tackle the Brutal challenges and hardmode. Even with bonuses the AP is slow and of course I need the hardest materia to level mastered in order to beat down the difficult combat.
Chocobo Armband + AP Up Materia + Chadley's Grasslands Intel Number 1 nets you about 504 AP points in whichever Materia is linked to the AP Up Materia, but I'm sure you already figured this out. This fight can be finished in a few seconds by just holding Square with Cloud.

Having done this a little bit, I wonder how the game can be blazingly fast when fast traveling across the globe, but it needs a lot of loading time between rounds in the simulator when all it's doing is loading a couple of enemy textures and AI. So weird.

Adding another gripe to this thread;
Screw the Musclehead Colosseum and its repeated enemies. Was it really necessary to have multiple fights that involed a RedXIII-Marlboro, Jabberwock, Mindflayer and Ultra Zu ( Not even counting Quetzalcoatl ) in any which combination?

They were way overrepresented in the higher battle tiers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Adding another gripe to this thread;
Screw the Musclehead Colosseum and its repeated enemies. Was it really necessary to have multiple fights that involed a RedXIII-Marlboro, Jabberwock, Mindflayer and Ultra Zu ( Not even counting Quetzalcoatl ) in any which combination?
Yeah those fights were annoying. I think that's because the real challenge is in the Brutal VR shit and they didn't want Musclehead to be THAT hard. So they went for annoying instead.

Chocobo Armband + AP Up Materia + Chadley's Grasslands Intel Number 1 nets you about 504 AP points in whichever Materia is linked to the AP Up Materia, but I'm sure you already figured this out. This fight can be finished in a few seconds by just holding Square with Cloud.
Yep. I'm doing a farm right now that nets about 500ish AP every minute. But when you need 10K AP per level and the materia has 5 levels....it's still slow.

There is a hardmode quest that allows you to farm bees and gain 1900AP per quest run. But it requires constant resets and quest progression so it's not nearly as fast as grinding VR missions.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
There is a hardmode quest that allows you to farm bees and gain 1900AP per quest run. But it requires constant resets and quest progression so it's not nearly as fast as grinding VR missions.
The Nibelheim cat quest I take it.

One thing it was good for was quickly jumping up to level 70 after clearing the game.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah the sequel/alternate reality thing that draw on every other piece of media from FF7 universe was just SE shooting themselves pointlessly in the feet, multiple time (although it hard to say if that's really the cause of low sale).

Let look at it this way, there's potentially four type of audience members:

1-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and loved it most/all.
2-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and mostly disliked it (I'm here).
3-People who played FF7 but didn't really touch anything since.
4-People who haven't played FF7 (by far the biggest segment).

Making the game a sequel/alternate reality literally only please the first group of people, every other group either doesn't care or find that a negative, crucially that include 4. On the other hand, making it either a straight remake would please 1, 2, 3 and not bother 4 and really changing the game story (without drawing on any other piece of media) would have been positive or at least neutral (1 would like it, 2/3 could go either way and 4 would be neutral).

(You could say there's an extra group who played FF7 and didn't like it, but those probably wouldn't play the remake or at least not care about it being a sequel/alternate reality and would probably prefer a major story change).

Maybe the Nibehleim flashback should have at least been included in remake so that there would be an hook for newer player to keep playing the trilogy. From their point of view, remake ends in a really awkward spot. The fate creature things are killed (although its not clear why they had to be), Shinra seems ineffectual (president was just killed, they're blowing up their own reactor better than avalanche could ever hope too and anyway you just left their headquarter) and Sephiroth isn't really doing anything evil, has already been defeated and seems to just want to cooperate with Cloud anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah the sequel/alternate reality thing that draw on every other piece of media from FF7 universe was just SE shooting themselves pointlessly in the feet, multiple time (although it hard to say if that's really the cause of low sale).

Let look at it this way, there's potentially four type of audience members:

1-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and loved it most/all.
2-People who played FF7, followed every/most piece of FF7 media that came after, and mostly disliked it (I'm here).
3-People who played FF7 but didn't really touch anything since.
4-People who haven't played FF7 (by far the biggest segment).

Making the game a sequel/alternate reality literally only please the first group of people, every other group either doesn't care or find that a negative, crucially that include 4. On the other hand, making it either a straight remake would please 1, 2, 3 and not bother 4 and really changing the game story (without drawing on any other piece of media) would have been positive or at least neutral (1 would like it, 2/3 could go either way and 4 would be neutral).

(You could say there's an extra group who played FF7 and didn't like it, but those probably wouldn't play the remake or at least not care about it being a sequel/alternate reality and would probably prefer a major story change).

Maybe the Nibehleim flashback should have at least been included in remake so that there would be an hook for newer player to keep playing the trilogy. From their point of view, remake ends in a really awkward spot. The fate creature things are killed (although its not clear why they had to be), Shinra seems ineffectual (president was just killed, they're blowing up their own reactor better than avalanche could ever hope too and anyway you just left their headquarter) and Sephiroth isn't really doing anything evil, has already been defeated and seems to just want to cooperate with Cloud anyway.
Simmons is not saying it is the main cause, but it certainly did not help.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I'd say that petty bitches whining about the "alternate reality" aspect of the game are a minority.

Especially the ones as petty as to whine about something that only makes up a minor percentage of the game. For 99% the game is basically the same as the original.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'd say that petty bitches whining about the "alternate reality" aspect of the game are a minority.

Especially the ones as petty as to whine about something that only makes up a minor percentage of the game. For 99% the game is basically the same as the original.
Yeah, and to top it off I really don't get why this narrative of Rebirth not selling is being reported as a big thing. Rebirth was the best selling game in February meaning it sold more than any other game that month and Rebirth was only out for a fucking day. Then Rebirth was the best selling game in March.

I can't really find concrete sales numbers outside of japan which seems to have about 700k sales. There are "industry analysists" suggesting Rebirth is "underperforming" but the industry can't analysist it's own butthole. Other articles report Rebirth has sold 2million+. So maybe 2mill in underperforming to some live service fuckboy but that's not a terrible number in about 6 weeks of shelf time.

Keep in mind Rebirth is not a live service game, and that it's a sequel to a sequel of a 30 year old game. Also factor in that people might be waiting for the whole trilogy to come out, of waiting for it to come to PC as it's PS5 exclusive until June or July.

Hell according to Steam charts the active playerbase for FF7 Remake on Steam has gone up nearly 150% from 3000 peak players to over 8800. Many people are probably buying Remake now to then play Rebirth when it comes to PC. So I don't really buy the story nor to a care what some dickhead CEO thinks about numbers. Square complains that every game underperforms it's just what they do, yet they keep sinking huge budgets into these games so they are either lying or stupid. FF7 Rebirth outsold FF16 in their first weeks.

Also I agree with @bluegate the people complaining about the "alternate reality" plot, are very minor because anyone who's actually played the game will tell you that there is no alternate reality. People just don't understand what's happening and base their judgement on trailers or small bits of gameplay. The same as people who say the story has changed, it really hasn't. The story is bigger and more fleshed out than in the OG, but it's not really different.

And i don't really get the salt from people who are upset about a story changing they clearly don't even know well enough to understand the difference between expansion and change. And you can't help them anyway.

Thankfully those people are few and far between.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can't really find concrete sales numbers outside of japan which seems to have about 700k sales. There are "industry analysists" suggesting Rebirth is "underperforming" but the industry can't analysist it's own butthole.
:ROFLMAO: Agreed!

. So maybe 2mill in underperforming to some live service fuckboy but that's not a terrible number in about 6 weeks of shelf time.
I know Simmons is not a live service fuckboy, but I've noticed in some these conversations he downplays the success of FF titles he's not interested or doesn't like. Not counting FFVII in this case.

Square complains that every game underperforms it's just what they do, yet they keep sinking huge budgets into these games so they are either lying or stupid.
I going with stupid and spoiled.

FF7 Rebirth outsold FF16 in their first weeks.
That is definitely true. Sorry if I wasted your time, it was mainly curiosity and trying figure out that something was off. Given the positive reception that immediately came in, I mainly wanted you and others input on this.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Its not the whining that's the problem, its the people not bothering to show up. For example, every version of mass effect sold far more than the one before it in the initial release window (even with 3 being a different console generation), every preceding game ended with a hook to keep player coming for more so that during the tail of the preceding game, new player pick up the game and decide to buy the next one at release. At the same time, player who haven't touched the preceding one might be tempted to pick up the next one if they feel like they can get up to speed easy enough. That doesn't appear to be the case with FF7R, if it selling about half of R1, SE might extrapolate that R3 might also do half the number and they'll budget accordingly.

As far as 99%, its the good old "Would you drink something if it was advertised as being 99% not pee?".

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Supposedly, Spiderman 2 "underperformed."
The game companies keep firing everybody while making record profits, but also we're supposed to feel bad that games are too complicated and impossible to make financially, but that it's also the biggest entertainment industry in the world by far.

Claims of "underperforming" and such should be taken with the biggest freaking grains of salt. It's not business reporting, it's marketing.