Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Full Review (spoilers)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
80 hours played, 100% completion for what I can do in Normal mode, several crying fits, and 11 days. That's what it took to finish Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, on launch weekend I took four days off work and used my vacation time to absorb this game and it's world, I put 50 hours in during that vacation and it was some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. We all know by now how much I love Final Fantasy 7 and if you don't want to read the review that follows here's the verdict, the music is incredible, the story is incredible, the combat is incredible, the game isn't perfect but it does nothing to ruin my 10/10 score for it.

That being said here is the full review and I am not holding back spoilers so if you care about spoilers stop read here.

Rebirth opens pretty wildly, not with the demo that showcased most of the Kalm flashback, but rather with a section were you play as Zack. Many trailers and previews teased Zack in the game and so did Remake, it was pretty obvious at some point we were going to play as Zack in Rebirth but to have it be the first five minutes of the game got your head spinning. Especially because after this brief Zack segment you wont see him again for another 20 hours or so. After a short scene the Kalm flashback begins and the game really starts properly. What makes this section of the game so great is the detail within for long time fans. If you know the story of FF7 then the Easter eggs here are just incredible. Cloud's behaving not like himself, but clearly like Zack. The motion sick soldier in the truck has blonde hair and is voiced by Cloud's voice actor because well it IS Cloud. When Nibelhiem is burning down the soldier who really is Cloud is in front of his house calling for his mom. It's fucking beautifully executed.

And beautifully executed is how I would say the whole game is. Being the middle part of a trilogy is hard for any franchise, or at least any franchise with an actual plan. But it is exceptionally hard with a FF7 remake because considering this game is taking place merely to finish out Disk 1 of the original game, how do you motivate the characters and the player to go forward towards what can't be a real ending to the game. The answer Rebirth found was to focus on the characters. The vast majority of Rebirth is built upon the characters and building relationships with them. Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Aerith, all have some relationship coming out of the Remake but they don't really know each other well. Add on Red 13, Yuffie, and Cait Sith and there is a lot of becoming a team that needs to happen and that's where Rebirth shines.

While the main plot is essentially the party following the black robed figures who seem to be heading somewhere at the call of Sephiroth, the party finds a lot of free time because these robed figures move very slowly. Which gives the space for the open world sections to shine and side quests to really flesh people out. Though the game isn't true open world, there are 6 open world segments each with their own look and massive collection of intel to gather. World intel is set up by Chadley who returns in this game, through him the open world activities happen via collecting "intel". Each open world section has the same grouping of intel activities to gather which boil down to Ubisoft towers, summon shrines where you play a memorization game that powers up your summon materia, combat intel where special monsters fight you with combat objectives to complete, Moghouses where you'll play a mini game to bring the moogles together, lifestream fountains which will provide lore for the region, and the protorelic quest which is the biggest quest in the zone.

All the world objectives are fairly simple on paper and in the first two zones Grasslands and Junon, they are fairly simple to complete. With the exception of the protorelic quest. The protorelics are great because each one requires something completely different, in the first zone you are dealing with Beck's Bandits from the Remake, in Junon you are sucked into the world of the Fort Condor mini game, and so on for each zone.

The open world areas become quite complex later, Gongaga's region and Cosmo Canyon especially where tricky due to the navigation gimmick. Each zone grants you a different Chocobo to ride with a different ability. In Junon the Chocobo can climb some vertical cliffs, in Cosmo Canyon it can glide off certain platforms and wind tunnel launch pads. These means of travel add to the design of each zone and makes them all feel different which I really liked, because it makes the world feel bigger than the segmented pieces it actually is, and to Rebirth's credit each open world zone is a lot bigger than it appears on the map.

Outside of the general open world content, there are side quests that become available which are always story driven and based around one of your team mates. Doing these quests builds your relationship with them on a personal level as well as bonding the whole party together. Barret has a confrontation with a father who is trying to break away from the funding of his mother in one quest. Tifa wants to help Johnny in another. Every quest ties into something related to a given party member in some way and they are all great. Remake had pretty boring and shitty side quests, and Rebirth mostly fixes that, though one or two have mini games that are just annoying.

Speaking of mini games there are 30 mini games in Rebirth total. Some are small and used just as a gimmick in one quest. Other's are quite expansive like Queen's Blood, the card game that has a main quest, a mini quest, several side quests, tournaments, and special puzzle challenges. Most mini games also have a hard mode version that get....really fucking hard. The thing about the mini games is that none of them are optional if you want to "complete" the game, you have to not only beat these games, but master their hard modes and it's ridiculous because mastering hard mode requires perfection and to me that's always going too far with a difficulty spike. You can't just be good, you must be perfect.

Overall I think the main story is fantastic though it's quite a bit different than the original game, but they had to add and change things from the original. I've seen a lot of discourse about changes on Reddit and Twitter and the like, but people don't realize that a lot of the places we visit in this game where original less than 2 minutes long. The chocobo farm in the original is a quick pit stop to pick up a materia and bounce. The Mythril Mines is three screens, two if you don't grab the option chests. Costa Del Sol is 15 seconds, you get there and you leave and that's it. Corel Town is just a screen to get you to the Gold Saucer. So of course they had to put story and events into these area's that were there before because nothing was there before. I think a lot of people don't remember how short FF7 originally was, and the vast majority of the story happens in only a couple locations and everything else is very little of anything. Hell Gongaga was nothing in the original game and now it's a beautiful story that connects with Crisis Core wonderfully.

Thankfully nothing they expand on is out of place, and a lot of it is quite charming. Especially Junon where you gather your troops to put on the coolest parade the world as ever seen. The story of Junon is pretty much completely different yet still falls in line with the original game because it makes sense to the sudden lack of Shinra influence once you leave Midgar. This is a cycle that repeats the whole game and while some stuff is more on beat for the original game, it's always more expansive. I think they did a beautiful job of making the journey feel good.

Though there is the ending, which has been alluded too as being bad. And I disagree, sort of, because the ending was always building up to some sort of clash of worlds somehow with Cloud and Zack coming into the same timeline. And that indeed does happen briefly, but it's not really a merge. Much like the confuffle of Remake's ending, the same thing sort of happens here except it's all against the battle of Sephiroth which is an epic fucking fight that has like 9 fucking phases. You fight in different worlds, different groups of party members are forced to fight at certain points. The final fight uses everybody in the game and it's awesome. Does it make a lot of sense? Not really no. But it's really cool and it changes nothing in the end. The party is forced to say goodbye to Aerith and it's heartbreaking. Though arguably in a different way. The scene is hard to describe but the impact of her death in the actual moment is not here because of changes but also not changes. Essentially Sephiroth comes down to do the old stabby on Aerith like the original game, but Cloud sees it coming and deflects the blade....but only in his mind, Aerith falls limp either way and in his head she's okay hurt but okay, in the real world her blood covers the floor and she's dead. There are a lot of Cloud's mental shenanagans happening because at this point in the game Cloud's losing control of himself, he is a puppet, and Sephiroth has a lot of control over him. Between that and the fucked up memories he has, Cloud isn't Cloud anymore and he isn't even the sort-of Cloud that's still mostly Zack from Remake and early in this game.

Admittedly it's very convoluted but the lore and timeline of FF7 in general is also very convoluted and anime-like. So you kind of have to roll with it. I disagree with the reviews that said it was bad and didn't make sense mostly because I don't trust IGN or any of those people to understand shit. If you understand FF7, I don't think any of this comes as a shock or is out of place, I think it works and is fitting together for a thrilling and fantastic 3rd game.

As for my gripes with the game, which are fairly minor. There are some annoying traversal bugs where sometimes you can climb a thing, but then sometimes you can't climb a thing that's the same size or lower, which makes moving around the world feel inconsistent at times. The requirements for the mini games is just bullshit and the hard modes for most of them are just outright unfair. Chadley talks way too much. There are a lot of visual and texture problems with the world, but supposedly a patch is coming to fix it.

Otherwise, I loved it. Going to replay it now.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Thanks for the detail review u/CriticalGaming.

I plan on playing it in a month or two, and I'll go much slower, so by the time I post any review everyone on the internet will have stopped talking about it.
Since I never played the original I won't care about any plot changes but I also will miss all the references and easter eggs. I did play Remake and Crisis Core though so I'm just hoping for a nice sequel or continuation or whataver. I'm just there for the gameplay and world.

Re: completionism and all the the bullshit hard mode side quests, do you get anything practical for doing that? I already know I'm not going to attempt platinum trophy because I read that this requires beating the game in hard mode and I ain't about that. I always do story-based side quests and I'll certainly try all the mini games and such but if the only thing you get for doing EVERYTHING is little check marks somewhere then count me out.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
: completionism and all the the bullshit hard mode side quests, do you get anything practical for doing that?
Oh yeah there are a ton of game breaking things you get for doing it. Like the gottdamrung which lets you start every combat with limit breaks. The mini games mostly give you materia or good accessories for final completion.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok I'm in it and up to chapter 5 (I think?), the beach vacation.

Overall I'm liking it, as I expected. My main interested in Remake was the combat system- I like the idea of controlling a team, but I hate turn-based combat, so being able to sort of switch- at any moment- between pressing buttons Devil May Cry style and issuing commands is great fun. So that's what I'm really here for.

I have mixed feelings about the combat and game mechanics- it is both incredibly deep, what with all the possible commands and materia and the synergies- but also you need to exploit elemental weaknesses and focus on stagger like FF16. So for me so far it feels like- why do we need all this stuff? Maybe for hard mode you have to optimize everything perfectly but figuring that all out is really not intuitive.
But then also, the whole open world intel thing- quite frankly I do not want to get stuck changing party members, changing equipment and setup for each battle, it would take a million years to beat everything. Oh these enemies are weak to poison so I have to remember which of my characters has that equip and change my team or change the materia in my main guy but I only figure that out from using Assess in the first battle so every battle is like two battles... ugh...

At this point my compromise is to stick to Normal difficulty during main quests because I do want to genuinely engage with the combat but drop it to Easy when side questing- then I'm going into Ubisoft Checklist mode while listening to podcasts or whatever. And since I actually enjoy that element in games sometimes that's all fine and good.

Tifa's outfit is comedically distracting. Not just the clownish boobs and impractically short skirt, but the bright red shoes that are loose and untied. Like.. girl.. you fighting, tie your shoes! On the flip side, she is the most fun to control in combat because she's so fast. My last boss fight was this big purple monstrosity that sprouted tendrils across the feel and I just took control of my girl and had her punch the shit out of everything and invoked the synergy with Cloud to fly kick everything- it is all extremely cool.

When I saw the card game I promised myself to take it seriously because if I did that with Gwent in Witcher 3 I figured I owed this game the same attention and so far I'm doing ok. I won a tournament and I beat every player I came across, though it took a youtube video to explain the basic strategy of controlling the field. I can already see that, similar to gwent, the strategy will change when I get better cards. The one thing I like about it more than gwent is that it is much faster. There are no rounds and the cards move quickly, and there is no consequence to failure you just hit retry and keep going.

I'm very glad I played Crisis Core because even though as a game it was just ok it really changed the opening chapter (u/CriticalGaming outlines above why).

I dread the point in the game when the difficulty will spike and I'll lean I was upgrading the wrong materia this whole time or whatever but for now I'm having a good time.

Oh.. I kinda hate Cloud? All he does is get annoyed at everything. And not with charm like Geralt, it's just a dumb trope. I still have a major hurdle with Japanese animated pop culture, its tropes, the why everyone sighs and grunts really loudly in response to everything, the insanely odd mood shifts and the unfunny jokes. I knew and expected all this going in and, it being the third game in this world, I'm both very invested and very put off. But, again, I signed up for this, that's less a criticism and more a quirk.
These days I'm much less interested in the big 100 hour RPG thing so I can do like two a year? And since I already earmarked this game and Assassin's Creed: Red for that I'm getting exactly what I paid for so I'm happy so far.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So for me so far it feels like- why do we need all this stuff? Maybe for hard mode you have to optimize everything perfectly but figuring that all out is really not intuitive.
Extra options. The usual.

On the flip side, she is the most fun to control in combat because she's so fast.
As expected. She pretty much plays like a Platinum Games character, if you equip the right materia.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have mixed feelings about the combat and game mechanics- it is both incredibly deep, what with all the possible commands and materia and the synergies- but also you need to exploit elemental weaknesses and focus on stagger like FF16. So for me so far it feels like- why do we need all this stuff? Maybe for hard mode you have to optimize everything perfectly but figuring that all out is really not intuitive.
But then also, the whole open world intel thing- quite frankly I do not want to get stuck changing party members, changing equipment and setup for each battle, it would take a million years to beat everything. Oh these enemies are weak to poison so I have to remember which of my characters has that equip and change my team or change the materia in my main guy but I only figure that out from using Assess in the first battle so every battle is like two battles... ugh...
Don't overthink it too hard. You will not have to min-max anything in your first playthrough. While having weaknesses of enemies ready to rock, you don't NEED it to beat them. Assess materia when used once will tell you an enemy's weakness and how to beat them. HOWEVER once you have assessed an enemy just hit the touch pad in combat to bring that info up at any point, you never have to remember anything. Also keep in mind that later weapons and armor have a shit load of materia slots, too much even, and there is no reason your main players wont be ready for pretty much everything and anything.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Don't overthink it too hard. You will not have to min-max anything in your first playthrough. While having weaknesses of enemies ready to rock, you don't NEED it to beat them. Assess materia when used once will tell you an enemy's weakness and how to beat them. HOWEVER once you have assessed an enemy just hit the touch pad in combat to bring that info up at any point, you never have to remember anything. Also keep in mind that later weapons and armor have a shit load of materia slots, too much even, and there is no reason your main players wont be ready for pretty much everything and anything.
I didn't know about the touchpad info thing. Thx.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok I made it Coral, did the beach stuff and the next village where Barrett's from which was my favorite character beat. I actually don't know if I'm supposed to know why everybody there hates him- what with all the prequels and previous game I don't remember the details and whatnot- but I enjoyed it anyway because one of the annoying consequences of the tonal clusterf*** of having wacko JRPG silliness do a story about ecoterrorism vs nihilistic corporate hegemony is that it really can't deal with things like moral ambiguity and consequences and world-narrative payoffs effectively, at least not for me. So seeing regular people blame Barrett for their circumstances was important.

Man, the beach stuff.... lol, sure that's part of the wackiness I signed up for I guess. So dumb. So so dumb. Even worse is my insistence on doing on the side content which means I had to do the pirate shooting and doggy soccer game twice. They are so bad it made me angry that the game is a PS5 exclusive because I had to turn off adaptive triggers in order to make them playable.

I also laughed hardily when the game told my that Cloud and Aerith have similar tastes in swimsuits (which the player chooses) and that effects their relationships? Ok.. so something will happen later that will depend on if and how I do side quests and dialogue options and that can hinge on the fact I gave Aerith a pink skirt instead of... I dunno, another pink skirt? Ok.

Tifa continues to be my girl. The voice actress is killing it in the few blissful quiet moments we get. The visual/thematic whiplash of her hilarious melons with the gym side quest where people see her as some gym rat hero drove me nuts, but her voice acting saves these things. And still most important is her fighting moves are the best, and I always respect a bartender.

Yufie is great fun to play as, I'm glad there is a mission that forces you to use her. Character is annoying on purpose and I dunno why games do this but her move where she throws a weapon and then throws herself AT the weapon is cool.

About to enter the amusement park area which I know from reviews that I'm gonna be in minigame hell tomorrow.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Haven't quite gotten around to finishing Remake yet, but as soon as I do I'll probably pick up Rebirth to continue the story. Everything I've been hearing about it makes it sound like exactly the kind of game I'd go for.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Finished it earlier today.

One of those games that feels truly epic in its presentation and ambition, the sort of thing that makes me feel the way people in the 1920's must have felt when they saw Metropolis, people in the 1950's must have felt when they saw Ben Hur and people in the 60's must have felt when they saw Lawrence of Arabia. Lavish to the point of decadence, a baroque tableaux adapting a 90's classic with seemingly no limitations.

No limitations? Well, perhaps not quite. There is sort of a noticeable gap between the games presentation of its story and the open world side content that I have adressed before. Its implementation of an open world structure feels rather rudimentary in a lot of ways. I will commend it for having proper towns and cities (something the last couple of numbered Final Fantasy games have gone out of their way to avoid in the most awkward ways possible) but a lot of the space between feels rather lifeless and you'll spend a lot of time there if you choose to engage with side content.

See, here's the problem. Unlike in a reopen world game, you actually have to actively go out of your way to do the side content in Rebirth. Where in a Witcher 3 or Zelda Breath of the Wild or Elden Ring you come across side content as you're exploring the world, you're never really just exploring in Rebirth. Most of the time you are only in an area for a small amount of time for whatever plot point is gonna transpire there and then you move on. You rarely ever need to explore most of any of the larger areas unless you specifically want to do optional tasks, which the game clearly wants you to, considering there's a rather pushy character keeping track of your side content completion rate.

The actual side quests, of which there are a good handful in each area, are perfectly fine and tend to have some compelling enough writing or some original one off mechanic to keep them interesting, but each area also comes with some repetetive busywork of the "go there, do thing you've done a dozen times before" variety. If I never have to commune with a life spring or sneak up to a chocobo again it'll be too soon. It's also here where the presentation has some weak links. The absence of any ambient NPC's outside of towns is jarring and you'll come across some extremely muddy textures fairly regularly. Some of which actually look like they're there by accident because whatever the proper texture is meant to be fails to load.

That said, the actual meat of the game is frequently breathtaking. I think Tetsuya Nomura is the best director in the industry next to Hideo Kojima and Rebirth has him, along with Toriyama, Nojima, Hamaguchi, Kitase and the rest of the team at the top of their game. Sequences like a passage in Gongaga that sees a character experiencing visions after being submerged in the lifestream or a section near the end where each party member has to relive the greatest trauma of their life are some of the best directed scenes I've ever seen in a video game.

Rebirth's tone and mood switch between action, comedy, tragedy, mystery and awe rapidly and effortlessly, one moment you're visiting and amusement part, next you experience a heartwrenching duel between two former friends and next there's a high speed chase through the desert. You genuinely feel like you're playing a game about everything.

It's a showcase of complete creative excess all the way through that reaches a deafening crescendo during its finale. In its final chapter, Rebirth unravels into something that comes close to pure formalism, a byzantine spaghetti bowl of intertwining dimensions, high concept metaphysics and metanarrative convolutions that adapts one of the most famous (if not the most famous) death scenes in video games as an event of transcendental importance that pierces through time and space like the nuclear explosion in Twin Peaks: The Return and concludes by leaving reality and the perception thereof fractured and torn.

FF7 Rebirth was one of the most exhilarating video game experiences I've ever had. I can't wait to see how they're planning to top this game and end this series. It already feels genuinely monumental.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No limitations? Well, perhaps not quite. There is sort of a noticeable gap between the games presentation of its story and the open world side content that I have adressed before. Its implementation of an open world structure feels rather rudimentary in a lot of ways. I will commend it for having proper towns and cities (something the last couple of numbered Final Fantasy games have gone out of their way to avoid in the most awkward ways possible) but a lot of the space between feels rather lifeless and you'll spend a lot of time there if you choose to engage with side content.
I will say that open world games are a genre that the Japanese seem to struggle with. The Yakuza games do them the best, but I feel like that's because they take place in a very limited map rather than a huge open area. In that sense Rebirth isn't breaking any ground for sure, however what is here in Rebirth is...fine? Like it's not mind blowing content but it's fine and like you said, the writing and little story moments that happen are nice. There is something about just being able to hang with the characters makes doing the side content worth it more than the quality of the given content.

In playing Rebirth a 2nd time through, it really makes FF16 stand out as a frankly terrible Final Fantasy game. Because Rebirth shows FF at it's peak, fun and lovable characters, with a plot that embraces a wide variety of tones while the game itself also features a wide array of things to do. FF16 feels so incredibly one-note by comparision.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I will say that open world games are a genre that the Japanese seem to struggle with. The Yakuza games do them the best, but I feel like that's because they take place in a very limited map rather than a huge open area.
Well, there's the last two Zelda games. Of course that approach wouldn't work for Final Fantasy at all, which will always have to go for something more structured and cinematic. FF XVI made an honest attempt, until it just kind of gave up on the open world halfway through. I still sometimes wonder what that game would have turned out like if the development hadn't been such a mess. Most of its general ideas weren't bad.

In playing Rebirth a 2nd time through, it really makes FF16 stand out as a frankly terrible Final Fantasy game. Because Rebirth shows FF at it's peak, fun and lovable characters, with a plot that embraces a wide variety of tones while the game itself also features a wide array of things to do. FF16 feels so incredibly one-note by comparision.
16 was aggressively bland in every respect, plot, world, characters. It's quite telling that I don't even remember the name of the love interest or the brother at the top of my head, even though they were the most prominent characters after the protagonist. That game did not have a single original idea. When they revealed the generic evil god as the main antagonist I completely zoned out.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Last night I did chapters 8 and 9 and the extremes between main game and side stuff that u/PsychedelicDiamond describes really hit me hard.
I'm officially giving up on completing side quests. Fuck that shit. Not only is it boring and repetitive, but the game's mechanics actively conspire to block me. The Gongaga region introduces puzzle traversals, requiring exploration and backtracking to figure out how to get around. But they also respawn enemies even if you don't die or rest. So why should I run around and explore? No, no, no.
Some of the minigame mechanics are intolerable. The last thing I found is this gliding chocobo and dear god it's fucking impossible, I don't understand how to control it.
Even when I wanted to go back to the desert area to try to complete a quest for Johnnny the game wouldn't let me fast travel... so now I gotta wait for some checkpoint way later or something? Goddamnit.

On the flip side, as much as I dreaded and was annoyed by the Las Vegas section minigame extravaganza and stupid nonsense, I was rewarded with Barrett's excellent subplot. The double raid on the reactor with two parties and Tifa zipping around with a grappling hook was the game at its best, where combat and story come together, culminating in a fun boss fight with a scary-sexy lady in a mech and that cool as hell Tifa underwater vignette (I love plot beats where the normally non-magic character gets to experience magic).

At this point I may just bee-line the main quest and look up guides for which side missions deal with Tifa, Red, Aerith and Barrett and ignore everything else. I have a feeling I did all of Barrett's already.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well fuck this game in its fucking face.

I finished a major chapter and was allowed to free roam the world so I spent like, I dunno, 3 hours or something doing side stuff in Corel. I got up to a tough boss fight with insta-deaths and when I failed, I selected "return to checkpoint" thinking it would give me an opportunity to change my loadout. Instead, it wiped all my progress.

I mean... what the hell?!

Yes I suppose I should have manually saved. But the game has auto save! And I'm playing on easy.

Oh my god I lost so much progress.

Edit to continue ranting: it's funny that Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin are getting criticised (or praised) for feeling "old school." FF7 has mean/bad UI, interaction and checkpoint systems that are from like PC gaming late 90s. Quests that make you go back and forth endlessly. It's built like a shitty PC rpg but looks like a modern game, realy pretty and smooth graphics. This game is honestly kind of shit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
failed, I selected "return to checkpoint" thinking it would give me an opportunity to change my loadout. Instead, it wiped all my progress.

Yes I suppose I should have manually saved. But the game has auto save! And I'm playing on easy.

Yep. Max and Easy Allies discussed this in the video I posted a few days ago. Apparently the top selection takes you back to the actual fighter boss fight without losing any progress. I don't know why in the hell Square thought that was such a good idea or made it as unclear as possible.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well fuck this game in its fucking face.

I finished a major chapter and was allowed to free roam the world so I spent like, I dunno, 3 hours or something doing side stuff in Corel. I got up to a tough boss fight with insta-deaths and when I failed, I selected "return to checkpoint" thinking it would give me an opportunity to change my loadout. Instead, it wiped all my progress.

Edit to continue ranting: it's funny that Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin are getting criticised (or praised) for feeling "old school." FF7 has mean/bad UI, interaction and checkpoint systems that are from like PC gaming late 90s. Quests that make you go back and forth endlessly. It's built like a shitty PC rpg but looks like a modern game, realy pretty and smooth graphics. This game is honestly kind of shit.
If you go back to the main menu or Load game from last auto save, you'll be much closer to your previous progress. This happened to me but the auto save doesn't count as a checkpoint so if you reload your autosave you'll get all your progress back.