Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You probably shouldn't. At this point you've seen most of the good part of his library.
I personally liked Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back and Mallrats was my teenage movie. I certainly like it more than contemporaries like American Pie. But, like most 80s and 90s films... they aren't actually well written and is more based on me being a teenager to like it

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Of course, here comes the cancel culture.

I don't disagree with 10% of what they say. Don't throw a punch at a police officer, don't graffiti stuff, and don't be anti-Semitic. That doesn't help. Politics is about power and influence of power and you can't influence or build up power by offending everyone everyone you. Its 2024 protests need to be updated from the 1960s and even 2010s. inconveniencing people doesn't work and good boycotts don't work. No one cares. About 34% of young Americans care about this issue.

But in Gaza, there is currently a partial famine going on right now. The children born there didn't ask for this. They got a shit lottery of being born there true, but no one should have to watch as their child gets their limbs amputated, or starved, or killed by a 2000-pound bomb meant to kill hardened bunkers, and tanks.
Thanks Saagar

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You know what, I'm fine with her coming back. I loved Cara Dune - even with the bizarre 180 degree turn lots of people did on the character - and I was looking forward to her spin off. Frankly if I were in charge of shit like Star Wars, I'd just have a blanket policy of no social media. Any anyone caught posting during a shooting day gets their phone nailed to the wall.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I'm fine with Gina Carano returning to The Mandalorian. Assuming she shows appropriate recognition she overstepped a line (or three), understanding of why that's a problem, then takes responsibility and shows contrition for doing so.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm fine with Gina Carano returning to The Mandalorian. Assuming she shows appropriate recognition she overstepped a line (or three), understanding of why that's a problem, then takes responsibility and shows contrition for doing so.
To her bosses sure, but don't parade her out in front of cameras to do it because despite weird nerds who think otherwise, Star Wars fans don't own the people and things in it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
To her bosses sure, but don't parade her out in front of cameras to do it because despite weird nerds who think otherwise, Star Wars fans don't own the people and things in it.
Yes, and in a way no.

From a certain perspective, this is something that should be dealt with internally, and would be for most jobs. However, people with high public recognition, there is likely to be a certain level of dissatisfaction if the populace cannot see some form of contrition, otherwise the suspicion is always going to linger that there's been a cover-up.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, and in a way no.

From a certain perspective, this is something that should be dealt with internally, and would be for most jobs. However, people with high public recognition, there is likely to be a certain level of dissatisfaction if the populace cannot see some form of contrition, otherwise the suspicion is always going to linger that there's been a cover-up.
If she were a public servant or other functionary of government I would agree because as public servants they are answerable and accountable to the public for their actions and negatively biased discharge of their duties has measurable effect.

But Carano was fired by Disney - who if you believe interment discourse are secular Satan until they’re not - for violation of their social media policy. And that was very public; Carano herself was in no way quiet about why she felt she was screwed over. And if they make her do a dog and pony show of apology it’s going to inflame one half of the people who give a shit about Star Wars of it looking like their punishing her, and the other half will treat it as an opportunity to throw proverbial tomatoes and frankly neither side of that deserves the airtime.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
But Carano was fired by Disney - who if you believe interment discourse are secular Satan until they’re not - for violation of their social media policy. And that was very public; Carano herself was in no way quiet about why she felt she was screwed over. And if they make her do a dog and pony show of apology it’s going to inflame one half of the people who give a shit about Star Wars of it looking like their punishing her, and the other half will treat it as an opportunity to throw proverbial tomatoes and frankly neither side of that deserves the airtime.
It's not like she accidentally let one tasteless comment slip. There's complaining that conservatives were treated as badly as Jews in 1940s Germany, supporting Trump's claims of electoral fraud, or making fun of people for wearing masks in covid and being aggressively anti-vaxx, or mocking transgender rights. This is a pattern of behaviour, statements that risk aggravating people or being politically polarising, and she pissed off a lot of Disney's audience. Disney doesn't want the controversy.

We don't need her to engage in self-flagellating, public abasement and humiliation. It shouldn't be about cruelty and degradation. But we - and specifically in terms of her getting her job back, Disney - would at least want to see her taking responsibility. Clear acknowledgement and acceptance of one's own problematic behaviours, and that one has learnt something constructive from the experience.

So we can then ask what signs we can see of this. Well, she's suing them - funded by no less than Elon Musk, carrying all that baggage - and saying stuff like calling it an "injustice" and "you will find a person who was doing her absolute best under one of the most aggressive unnecessary cancellations in Hollywood history", downplaying what she said as harmless / innocent, assuming the role of victim and playing for sympathy. These are not unusual human responses, but they are also classic giveaways indicating someone who doesn't really think they did anything wrong and probably hasn't learnt anything.

Disney, undoubtedly, will have taken note.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's not like she accidentally let one tasteless comment slip. There's complaining that conservatives were treated as badly as Jews in 1940s Germany, supporting Trump's claims of electoral fraud, or making fun of people for wearing masks in covid and being aggressively anti-vaxx, or mocking transgender rights. This is a pattern of behaviour, statements that risk aggravating people or being politically polarising, and she pissed off a lot of Disney's audience. Disney doesn't want the controversy.

We don't need her to engage in self-flagellating, public abasement and humiliation. It shouldn't be about cruelty and degradation. But we - and specifically in terms of her getting her job back, Disney - would at least want to see her taking responsibility. Clear acknowledgement and acceptance of one's own problematic behaviours, and that one has learnt something constructive from the experience.

So we can then ask what signs we can see of this. Well, she's suing them - funded by no less than Elon Musk, carrying all that baggage - and saying stuff like calling it an "injustice" and "you will find a person who was doing her absolute best under one of the most aggressive unnecessary cancellations in Hollywood history", downplaying what she said as harmless / innocent, assuming the role of victim and playing for sympathy. These are not unusual human responses, but they are also classic giveaways indicating someone who doesn't really think they did anything wrong and probably hasn't learnt anything.

Disney, undoubtedly, will have taken note.
All of this is correct and a matter of public record. But if she’s going to apologise it should be to her cast and crew mates - especially the ones she may have fucked over by causing the probable cancellation of her planned spinoff - and her bosses. Because those are the people she actually tangibly wronged.

Of course the whole thing could be moot because it’s entirely possible Disney will just tell her to fuck off and never darken their doorstep again. Not like they haven’t got good cause to do so after all the drama she caused.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Carano says she's willing to return but why would disney want her to return? She was the one being a bother and refused every chance to de-escalate the situation. Both her value and good faith can be disputed which makes her more trouble than she's worth.

She could have done a corporate half apology and get back to work rather than act like a freak about it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Also, genres can be a problem. Eg. New Vegas is meant to be an open world game. It has a pipeline funneling you from Goodsprings to New Vegas where you dont get to choose how to explore. This is to set up the set pieces of the story in the correct order. Which makes NV story more intelligible and sequential. But it also limits you're ability to explore, which is tenet of open world games
It really doesn't, at least not in any firm way, just nudges and suggestions that that would be a good way to go. I'm a very contradictory sort of person, so I went south and dodged a few Deathclaws that are actually pretty close to Goodsprings and went about my merry way and only eventually circled back to New Vegas.

Similar with Skyrim - you could easily argue that the game has a pipeline funneling you from Helgen to Riverwood to Whiterun to the Throat of the World. But once you escape Helgen you can pretty much go where you want (including one playthrough where I was bored and wanted to see what would happen if I followed the river west from the Magician/Thief/Warrior Stones towards Lake Ilinata and never set foot in Riverwood and most playthroughs now I use the Live Another Life mod [among about 60GB of mods most of them content or mechanics] where you have to visit Helgen to even trigger the main quest because you probably started as a farmer near Rorikstead or something), though a few side quests and most dragon fights are locked behind that first dragon kill at the watchtower.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It really doesn't, at least not in any firm way, just nudges and suggestions that that would be a good way to go.
This is an essence of good game design. Nobody really wants to spend lots of time reloading because they wandered off-piste and got slaughtered, but games also need a range of challenge. So games encourage players to go to the next area that should be level appropriate or dissuade them from the inappropriate, up until the point they're developed enough to make those choices.

A typical system in something like Fallout could be a rad zone. If it's really heavy, sure you can stock up and chow down on lots of meds and stuff to plough across, but an experienced player knows the devs are signposting "Not this way (just yet)".

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I can't believe the woke SBI maffia came for Hades, that infamously straight game based on the highly hetro normative Greek Mythology.
1715122508498.png