Funny events in anti-woke world

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Its STILL funny! Also this 'skin disease'' they're going on about is Hestia having some spots resembling ash on her skin. Almost as if she's the goddess of the fireplace. I kinda suspected those spots are even literally just ash.
View attachment 11148
They are upset that this character is not hot and feminine enough.

1715634162477.png

I just don't even know what they want anymore. Do they know what they want?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

View attachment 11174

They want anime. They want the Square Enix doll face. Anything else is woke and too masculine. They've been pushing the whole 'Japan understands' narrative for a couple of years now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

View attachment 11174

To me somewhat fair the those absolute losers.....I didn't think Hades 1 Aphrodite was very hot either. I like the idea behind it but the portrait just wasn't clicking with me. Part of it is indeed the face. Not because it looks like a ''man'' but because it looks kinda old fr the hot sex god. But the bigger issue is all the back shadows around the hair. It clashes with the pink.

The Hades 2 Aphrodite is a big improvement. The colors are much better, and the heart motif is more obvious.

I think most know what they want. Deep down they just want an enemy to fight to stay relevant and if there is no enemy they just invent one. Hades wasn't some super obscure Indie game so they can't even claim they only now discovered this ''woke'' Aphrodite. Greek myths are also as bi as can be so they can't claim to be surprised by all the queer stuff either.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
They want anime. They want the Square Enix doll face. Anything else is woke and too masculine. They've been pushing the whole 'Japan understands' narrative for a couple of years now.
They were mad about this too!

1715639858818.png

The new Ada Wong from the RE4 Remake looks like she would fit right into the Final Fantasy remake, and there were still people who were pissed off and said that her new face was ugly.

They thought this was ugly!

1715639993764.png

What do they want? Do they know what they want?!

Hades wasn't some super obscure Indie game so they can't even claim they only now discovered this ''woke'' Aphrodite. Greek myths are also as bi as can be so they can't claim to be surprised by all the queer stuff either.
1715640255678.png

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

View attachment 11175

The new Ada Wong from the RE4 Remake looks like she would fit right into the Final Fantasy remake, and there were still people who were pissed off and said that her new face was ugly.

View attachment 11176

View attachment 11177
Is there a suicide variant of that Kermit the Frog meme where he says he witnessed a murder? Because I think that’s just what I metaphorically saw happen.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

View attachment 11175

View attachment 11176

I'm sure there's some people who legitimately just don't like the new face. Especially with older, well established characters like Resident Evil this can be a thing. (Or maybe I'm just trying to make some sense as to why anyone would find this face ugly.) But in the current climate it all just gets swallowed up by the reactionaries. I also reckon at this point a lot of these people's brains are in constant 'ugly scan' mode, and they just can't look at any current (female) game character's face without seeing something wrong. Like a teen girl looking into the mirror.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
To me somewhat fair the those absolute losers.....I didn't think Hades 1 Aphrodite was very hot either. I like the idea behind it but the portrait just wasn't clicking with me. Part of it is indeed the face. Not because it looks like a ''man'' but because it looks kinda old fr the hot sex god. But the bigger issue is all the back shadows around the hair. It clashes with the pink.
I'd say it's the eyes. It's usually the eyes. As someone who used to draw I know what it's like to just not be able to get a face right, and at a certain point you just have to accept it or chuck the entire drawing. Many times I ended up making a face worse by trying to fix it, until eventually my sight just hazed over and I couldn't tell what was what anymore.

I never cared much for the Aphrodite design either, though that probably had to do with me being to busy looking at Megara and Nyx.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I think anime children, to be precise.
Laugh it up, but that huge crowd went absolutely wild when TRUMP did the lead in to "MAGA May"

Wake up, MAGA, I think I got somethin' to say to you
It's late '24 and I really should be in a calaboose
I know I keep you amused, but you're being used
Oh, MAGA, I couldn't have lied any more…
I have no idea how this didn't get more likes here.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I never cared much for the Aphrodite design either, though that probably had to do with me being to busy looking at Megara and Nyx.
It's not obvious that Aphrodite is the most beautiful goddess in the Greek pantheon. For instance, Hera is said to be in some sources.

The trick here is perhaps shades of what beauty represents, as this can differ. Aphrodite for instance reflects beauty in terms of youth and sexual attraction, but other goddesses are as (maybe more) beautiful in other ways with other associations. For instance, when Paris picks between Hera, Athena and Aphrodite as the most beautiful to give the golden apple, he conspicuously appears not to choose on the basis of their looks (thereby implying there is little to choose), but the bribe he is offered.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

Engelbrecht Phillips True the Vote QAnon

Andrea Austria / Media Matters

Messages reveal QAnon influencers used Telegram to coordinate efforts to target an election software company in collaboration with True the Vote

A QAnon influencer claimed that once they had “intel” to “incriminate” the company, Konnech, True the Vote would “deliver it to Sheriff’s/DA’s/Prosecutors”

A right-wing influencer has released 2022 messages from a private Telegram group chat showing that QAnon figures seemingly coordinated efforts to target Konnech, an election software company, and have election denial organization True the Vote convey their supposed “intel” to law enforcement.

In 2022, True the Vote collaborated with QAnon influencers, with QAnon figures working on some of the organization’s projects, and its leadership appearing on QAnon-affiliated shows and lauding the supposed research abilities of the “Anons” (a term for QAnon supporters), including floating the idea that True the Vote would pass along Anons’ supposed research to law enforcement and sheriffs groups that partnered with the organization.

As part of that collaboration, True the Vote invited multiple QAnon influencers to attend an event during the weekend of August 12, 2022, called “The Pit” dedicated to providing supposedly “devastating” evidence of election fraud. At the event, True the Vote’s leadership, Catherine Engelbrecht and Gregg Phillips, turned over to QAnon attendees supposed evidence of nefarious behavior by Konnech, an election software company, and asked them to “start connecting dots” and look further into the company.

Now, messages sent less than two weeks after the event have been released that further detail how QAnon figures coordinated to target Konnech. On May 6, a right-wing influencer known online as “GusQuixote” posted a screenshot of Telegram chat logs from a group called “Pit Crew Think Tank,” likely a reference to The Pit. The logs seemingly featured messages from GusQuixote and QAnon figures “Red Pill Babe” and “The Authority.” In the weeks following the event and the messages, True the Vote endorsed all three of those figures on a stream, and even tasked The Authority to “tak[e] over a lot of ... the True the Vote research activities.” GusQuixote’s May 6 post also seemingly claimed regarding the Telegram group chat, “There were 50 of us. 10 worked. 20 talked. 20 watched.”

In the messages, The Authority called the group chat “a place to think and collaborate” and suggested that the group chat was connected to further “dig rooms.” Specifically, he wrote that the “goal” of the group chat was to “incriminate [Konnech CEO] Eugene Yu within the reach of our network,” and that “once the intel is properly packaged up and the articles is written, Gregg and Catherine will deliver it to Sheriff’s/DA’s/Prosecutors.”

GusQuixote screenshot

After The Pit, in the days both before and after those private messages were sent, True the Vote praised and shared what the QAnon community had supposedly found on Konnech, and in September 2022, Phillips suggested that True the Vote had passed this supposed research on Konnech from the QAnon community to law enforcement, including to a “particular county in California.”

In October 2022, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office indicted Yu for claims similar to those pursued by True the Vote and its QAnon collaborators, after an investigator from the office attended The Pit and Phillips allegedly spoke to a grand jury for the case. However, the following month, the district attorney’s office dropped the charges due to the “pace of the investigation” and the “‘potential bias in the presentation’ of evidence in the case.” Yu subsequently sued the Los Angeles County district attorney, eventually reaching a $5 million settlement in January 2024.

2024-05-14-13-21-24-792.jpg

Will it fit I wonder...?

Why do narcissists find conspiracy theories so appealing?
Aleksandra Cichocka 1, Marta Marchlewska 2, Mikey Biddlestone 3

Under a Creative Commons license
open access

Abstract

Narcissism—a conviction about one's superiority and entitlement to special treatment—is a robust predictor of belief in conspiracy theories. Recent developments in the study of narcissism suggest that it has three components: antagonism, agentic extraversion, and neuroticism. We argue that each of these components of narcissism might predispose people to endorse conspiracy theories due to different psychological processes. Specifically, we discuss the role of paranoia, gullibility, and the needs for dominance, control, and uniqueness. We also review parallel findings for narcissistic beliefs about one's social groups. We consider the wider implications this research might have, especially for political leadership. We conclude by discussing outstanding questions about sharing conspiracy theories and other forms of misinformation.
Keywords
Narcissism - Collective narcissism - Conspiracy theories - Paranoia - Uniqueness

One of the classic questions in the study of conspiracy theories, accusing secret groups of colluding to achieve nefarious goals [1], is which individual differences predispose people to believe in them. While the Big Five traits show weak associations with conspiracy beliefs [2], researchers find relatively consistent effects for the way people perceive themselves [3,4]. In three studies, all conducted with US samples, Cichocka and colleagues [5] demonstrated that endorsement of conspiracy theories was related to narcissism—a belief in one's superiority and a sense of entitlement to special treatment, characterised by sensitivity to threats [6∗∗, 7, 8]. Importantly, the effects were unique to narcissism and did not emerge for secure, non-narcissistic self-esteem—a positive self-evaluation characterised by feelings of adequacy and satisfaction with oneself, which can serve as a buffer against psychological threats [7].

The effect of narcissism on conspiracy beliefs has been replicated in various contexts by multiple labs [9, 10, 11, 12∗∗, 13, 14]. For example, Siem and colleagues [15] directly replicated Study 3 of Cichocka and colleagues [5] in a German sample. Their second study, also conducted in Germany, demonstrated a similar pattern of results with respect to belief in conspiracy theories about COVID-19. Sternisko and colleagues [16] confirmed this relationship across 56 countries. Overall, meta-analytic effects ranging from r = .22 [3] to r = .26 [4] suggest that narcissism is one of the best psychological predictors of conspiracy beliefs. In this article, we rely on recent developments in research on narcissism and discuss four psychological mechanisms that might explain why narcissism increases the psychological appeal of conspiracy theories.

The different facets of narcissism

Researchers often distinguish between different types of narcissism (see Figure 1). Most often studied (including in the paper by Cichocka et al. [5]) is grandiose narcissism, regulated by two strategies [17]. First, grandiose narcissists strive to achieve admiration by boosting their egos through a sense of uniqueness, charm, and grandiose fantasizing. This strategy of assertive self-enhancement can also be referred to as agentic extraversion [6,18]. Second, narcissists use rivalry to manage any threats to the self via devaluing others, aggression, and striving for supremacy. This antagonistic self-protection is also known as narcissistic antagonism [6]. Antagonism also feeds into the so-called vulnerable type of narcissism, which—instead of agentic extraversion—is regulated by narcissistic neuroticism, related to negative emotionality and self-consciousness [6,18].1

Fig. 1

1. Download : Download high-res image (180KB)
  2. Download : Download full-size image
Figure 1. Components of narcissism proposed by Miller and colleagues [6] and their links to conspiracy beliefs.
We argue that the three facets underlying grandiose and vulnerable narcissism—agentic extraversion, antagonism, and narcissistic neuroticism—might be linked to conspiracy beliefs via different psychological processes. Below, we summarise existing research pointing to four potential mechanisms (inspired by [12]): 1) the need for uniqueness, 2) paranoia, 3) needs for control/dominance, and 4) gullibility (Figure 1 depicts paths consistent with existing empirical evidence).

Why does narcissism predict conspiracy beliefs?
Paranoia

Cichocka and colleagues [5] suggested that narcissists might endorse conspiracy theories due to their heightened paranoia: narcissists tend to believe that others are intentionally malicious and are out to get them. Although paranoia and conspiracy beliefs have different nomological networks, they share certain correlates, such as perceptions of threat from powerful people [20]. Thus, while some researchers treat paranoia as explicitly distinct from conspiracy beliefs [20], it is at least plausible that paranoid convictions that others threaten the self can spill into conspiracy beliefs about society being threatened more broadly.

Indeed, in Study 2 by Cichocka and colleagues [5], the link between narcissism and conspiracy beliefs was mediated by paranoia. Kay [12] examined these processes more closely, comparing grandiose and vulnerable narcissism. While both were associated with conspiracy beliefs [12,21], paranoia accounted for the association between vulnerable narcissism and conspiracy beliefs, while it was less consistently linked to grandiose narcissism. The associations with paranoia were observed both for the more neurotic (e.g., hiding the self) and antagonistic (e.g., entitlement rage) aspects of vulnerable narcissism [12]. Hepper and colleagues [22], however, suggested that some aspects of grandiose narcissism might also be related to paranoia—these authors found that defensive self-protection linked both vulnerable narcissism and the antagonistic aspect of grandiose narcissism to paranoia. On balance, these findings suggest that paranoia might account for the association conspiracy beliefs have with two components of narcissism: neuroticism and antagonism.

Needs for dominance and control

Narcissistic antagonism might also increase the psychological appeal of conspiracy theories due to other factors. There is evidence pointing to the needs for dominance and control, which seem to predict conspiracy beliefs especially as a way of coping with anticipated defeat [23]. Conspiracy theories can help blame others for one's failures or misfortunes as they identify a specific group that could be used as a “scapegoat”. Converging evidence [10,13] comes from work linking conspiracy beliefs not only to narcissism, but also other so-called dark personality traits characterised by callousness and manipulativeness [24]: psychopathy and Machiavellianism [25]. The association between dark traits and conspiracy beliefs seems to be explained, in part, by distrusting others and desiring control over them [13; cf., 12]. Overall, this work suggests that narcissistic antagonism is linked to conspiracy beliefs not only via paranoia, but also via needs for control and dominance.

Need for uniqueness

Although the orientation towards self-enhancement typical of agentic extraversion might be less predictive of paranoia or needs for dominance, it could be associated with conspiracy beliefs via different psychological processes. One such factor is the need for uniqueness [26,27], which is often associated with the admiration/agentic extraversion aspect of grandiose narcissism. High need for uniqueness likely increases the appeal of conspiracy theories because they promise access to privileged information, making one feel special [26,27]. Indeed, in the study by Kay [12], need for uniqueness emerged as a mediator between grandiose narcissism and conspiracy beliefs, and we argue this is likely due to the agentic extraversion component [cf. 14].

Gullibility

Although narcissists are typically overconfident in their abilities, judgments, and intelligence [28], they tend to be naive and less likely to engage in cognitive reflection [16,29,30]. For example, Hart and colleagues [31] found that those scoring high in narcissistic rivalry/antagonism (but not admiration/agentic extraversion) were more gullible, that is insensitive to cues of untrustworthiness and vulnerable to being manipulated. Furthermore, studies consistently show that both grandiose (especially its antagonistic, but less consistently agentic extroversive, component [12]) and vulnerable (its antagonistic and neurotic components [12]) narcissism are associated with a predisposition towards odd and unusual beliefs [32,13,14]. Conspiracy theories can be one example of such beliefs. There is also evidence that gullibility strengthens the association between narcissism and conspiracy beliefs. In a study by Ahadzadeh and colleagues [9], the link between narcissism and endorsement of COVID-19 conspiracy theories was especially pronounced among those who were not skeptical towards social media posts in the first place. Taken together, this research suggests that narcissistic antagonism and neuroticism might predict higher gullibility, further related to conspiracy beliefs.

Parallel effects of collective narcissism

Multiple studies indicate that conspiracy theories might not only be appealing to those high in individual narcissism, but also in collective narcissism—a belief that one's group is exceptional and deserves special treatment [5]. Collective narcissism predicts beliefs in conspiracy theories about outgroups [33, 34, 35, 36], for instance accusing them of involvement in high-profile events (such as the 2019 Smolensk air disaster [37]). Collective narcissism has also been linked to beliefs in anti-science conspiracy theories (e.g., about vaccines [11,38], COVID-19 [16,36], or climate change [39]). These associations are typically explained by the exaggerated intergroup threat sensitivity of collective narcissists [33,37], analogous to the paranoia and threat sensitivity of individual narcissists. A conviction that one's group is unique and entitled to special treatment might also increase the need to deny or deflect from national failings by pointing a finger towards malevolent forces undermining the ingroup [16]. Furthermore, there is evidence suggesting that a motivation to restore personal control strengthens the association between collective narcissism and outgroup conspiracy beliefs [33], echoing the role of control and dominance motives in individual narcissism. Finally, given studies [16] linking collective narcissism to bullshit receptivity [40] and low cognitive reflection [30], it is at least plausible that gullibility also plays a role. Thus, collective and individual narcissism could be linked to conspiracy beliefs via similar psychological processes [41]. At the same time, while the effects of individual narcissism might be relatively stable across contexts, any effects of collective narcissism might depend on whether certain identities are important or salient to participants. More work is needed to examine these possibilities.

Implications

The robust evidence linking different components of narcissism to belief in conspiracy theories has important implications. Narcissists tend to view themselves as qualified for politics and tend to contemplate running for office [42]. Narcissism also seems to be higher among political leaders (vs. the general population [43]), especially those that are populist or autocratic [44]. Therefore, we can expect engagement with conspiracy theories among active politicians, particularly in times that challenge their feelings of power and control (e.g., elections [45,23]). This is concerning given the harmful societal consequences of conspiracy theories [1]. However, our review also highlights factors that might be targeted by interventions aiming to break the link between narcissism and conspiracy beliefs (e.g., satisfying control motives [33]).

Outstanding questions and future directions
Sharing conspiracy theories

Narcissists' craving for validation and recognition is likely to have implications not only for their beliefs but also for their behaviours. For example, on social media, narcissists might be ready to share anything that promises to generate engagement and attention. As conspiracy theories are entertaining and elicit strong emotions [46], they might serve as attractive content to distribute. In fact, an unpublished undergraduate dissertation by India Wood demonstrated that narcissistic admiration was linked to sharing and liking (but not believing or fact-checking) social media posts containing COVID-19 conspiracy theories. Similarly, Enders and colleagues [10] found narcissism to be correlated with sharing false information online. Just as different components of narcissism are associated with conspiracy beliefs due to different processes, they could be linked to different motivations to share conspiracy theories. For example, while agentic extraversion might be associated with sharing conspiracy theories due to the need to draw attention to oneself, narcissistic neuroticism and antagonism might be linked to sharing conspiracy theories due to gullibility or seeking to manipulate others and blame them for one's misfortunes.

Are the effects unique to conspiracy theories?

Both with respect to conspiracy beliefs and sharing, a major challenge is establishing whether any effects observed are unique to conspiracy theories, or whether they might apply to any false or sensational content. This concern is not limited to the study of narcissism. Research focusing on conspiracy theories often considers them in isolation, failing to determine whether similar effects would be observed for other types of content or belief [cf [16,47]]. For example, narcissists might be ready to share any information, false or not, as long as it gets them the attention they crave. In this case, it might be the content of the conspiracy theories that would be especially appealing [48]. However, it is also possible that the secrecy and persecutory elements make conspiracy theories especially attractive to narcissists. In this case, it is the qualities of conspiracy theories that matter [48].

One way to disentangle these processes is to control for the propensity to believe and share other types of information. For example, Sternisko and colleagues [16] demonstrated that collective narcissism was associated with belief in COVID-19 conspiracy theories over and above belief in other conspiracy theories, facts about COVID-19, or generalised bullshit receptivity. Similarly, the authors looked at sharing COVID-19 conspiracy theories over and above readiness to share other conspiracy theories or general facts about COVID-19. Future research could test similar processes for individual narcissism, as well as other predictors of engagement with conspiracy theories.

Funding
This work was supported by the National Science Centre, Poland (grant number 2019/35/B/HS6/00123).

Conflict of interest statement
Nothing declared.

References
  1. 1
    K.M. Douglas
    Are conspiracy theories harmless?
    Spanish J Psychol, 24 (2021), p. e13, 10.1017/SJP.2021.10
    View at publisher
    View in ScopusGoogle Scholar
  2. 2
    A. Goreis, M. Voracek
    A systematic review and meta-analysis of psychological research on conspiracy beliefs: field characteristics, measurement instruments, and associations with personality traits
    Front Psychol, 10 (2019), pp. 1-13, 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00205
    View at publisher
    Google Scholar
  3. 3∗∗
    M. Biddlestone, R. Green, A. Cichocka, K. Douglas, R.M. Sutton
    A systematic review and meta-analytic synthesis of the motives associated with conspiracy beliefs
    PsyArXiv (2022, April 8), 10.31234/osf.io/rxjqc
    View at publisher
    Google Scholar (Recent meta-analysis on the motives associated with conspiracy beliefs. Conspiracy beliefs were shown to be underpinned by existential threats from the world around us, reliance on automatic thinking styles and a need to bolster and defend the image of oneself (individual narcissism) and the groups that one belongs to (collective narcissism).)
  4. 4∗
    L. Stasielowicz
    Who believes in conspiracy theories? A meta-analysis on personality correlates
    J Res Pers, 98 (2022), pp. 1-15, 10.1016/j.jrp.2022.104229
    View at publisher
    Google Scholar (Meta-analysis on the links between selected individual difference as well as demographic variables and conspiracy beliefs. Conspiracy beliefs were associated with narcissism, paranoia, and other pseudoscientific beliefs.)
  5. 5∗∗
    A. Cichocka, M. Marchlewska, A. Golec de Zavala
    Does self-love or self-hate predict conspiracy beliefs? Narcissism, self-esteem, and the endorsement of conspiracy theories
    Soc Psychol Personal Sci, 7 (2016), pp. 157-166, 10.1177/1948550615616170
    View at publisher
    View in ScopusGoogle Scholar (Evidence for the links between narcissism and conspiracy beliefs. Three studies conducted in the US demonstrated that high narcissism (but low secure self-esteem) was associated with general conspiracy beliefs as well as endorsement of several specific conspiracy theories.)
  6. 6∗∗
    J.D. Miller, M.D. Back, D.R. Lynam, A.G. Wright
    Narcissism today: what we know and what we need to learn
    Curr Dir Psychol Sci, 30 (2021), pp. 519-525, 10.1177/09637214211044109
    View at publisher
    Google Scholar (Accessible overview of current research and theorising on narcissism, integrating models of grandiose and vulnerable narcissism. The review proposes a three-factor conceptualisation, suggesting that antagonism is the central feature of narcissism, while agentic extraversion and neuroticism can be considered peripheral features diagnostic of grandiose or vulnerable narcissism, respectively.)
  7. 7
    D.L. Paulhus, R.W. Robins, K.H. Trzesniewski, J.L. Tracy
    Two replicable suppressor situations in personality research
    Multivariate Behav Res, 39 (2004), pp. 303-328, 10.1207/s15327906mbr3902_7
    View at publisher
  8. 8
    R.N. Raskin, C.S. Hall
    A narcissistic personality inventory
    Psychol Rep, 45 (1979), p. 590, 10.2466/pr0.1979.45.2.590
    View at publisher
  9. 9
    A.S. Ahadzadeh, F.S. Ong, S.L. Wu
    Social media skepticism and belief in conspiracy theories about COVID-19: the moderating role of the dark triad
    Curr Psychol (2021), pp. 1-13, 10.1007/s12144-021-02198-1
    View at publisher
    Google Scholar
(Other 49 references in page, but cut to meet character limit)

Cited by (16)
View all citing articles on Scopus

Author note: Aleksandra Cichocka, School of Psychology, University of Kent, UK. Marta Marchlewska, Institute of Psychology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland. Mikey Biddlestone, Department of Psychology, University of Cambridge, UK. We have no conflict of interest to disclose.
Although vulnerable narcissism is strongly linked to neuroticism as a basic personality trait [19], when controlling for neuroticism, vulnerable narcissism has unique associations with antagonism (as predicted by the three-factor model [6,18]), but also with distrust and suspiciousness [19]. The latter might explain why conspiracy beliefs tend to correlate with narcissistic but not “basic” neuroticism [2].

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
There's federal and local elections coming up

So obviously the roadsides are defiled with signs plastered with tronies

Tho curiously almost exclusively from CD&V, NV-A and VB.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's not obvious that Aphrodite is the most beautiful goddess in the Greek pantheon. For instance, Hera is said to be in some sources.

The trick here is perhaps shades of what beauty represents, as this can differ. Aphrodite for instance reflects beauty in terms of youth and sexual attraction, but other goddesses are as (maybe more) beautiful in other ways with other associations. For instance, when Paris picks between Hera, Athena and Aphrodite as the most beautiful to give the golden apple, he conspicuously appears not to choose on the basis of their looks (thereby implying there is little to choose), but the bribe he is offered.
It's not that. Aphrodite is very obviously a sexually attractive design, it's that (to me anyway) there's a highlight missing in either the eyes or the shading on the face to make design come across not so "dull". The white stripe across the eyes in the new design already adds some distinction.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like it's important to remember that, while Greek gods tend to be exemplary in their fields, they aren't necessarily the best

Usually to the woe of the mortals who can compete with them

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
It's not that. Aphrodite is very obviously a sexually attractive design, it's that (to me anyway) there's a highlight missing in either the eyes or the shading on the face to make design come across not so "dull". The white stripe across the eyes in the new design already adds some distinction.
I wasn't very clear - that was not directly replying to you about a computer game depiction, I was tangentially using your quotation as a basis to discuss Greek myth.

Although if I were to comment on the computer game's adaptation, I'd note that the Aphrodite of Greek myth conventionally wore clothing. Unless she was doing some activity where we might expect someone to be naked, like being born (as a fully grown adult from an oyster in her case), bathing, having sex, etc.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
And Paris sure showed Hera how wrong that was.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
(as a fully grown adult from an oyster in her case)
Wasn't it just from sea-foam, after Ouranos' genitals were thrown in the sea near Cyprus? I thought the half-shell detail was just from Botticelli's painting.