Your video game hot take(s) thread

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I still think the Xbox Series X should be a PC.

Moving on, stop buying Ubisoft games at full price, they don't care about their games, so why should you care about them?

No gameplay innovation while people are fighting over a fictional ninja assassin being a black guy, or the Star Wars character not being hot(She is). No one is telling Ubisoft to innovate which they should. Formula-based, and safe. People argue about Black Desert Online being sexist and Last of Us 2 being LGBTQ, but they have amazing animations(I think Last of Us 2 is the better game).

I will buy both when it's 12 dollars or less.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RE5 is better than RE4 (2005), so I'm going to elaborate further:

• Better support character. I love Sheva and find her much more interesting than Ashley. Yes the AI can be a mixed bag at times, but as long as you arm her with a sniper rifle or machine gun, she works fine. It's the same vice versa, if you're playing a Sheva and let the AI control Chris. I do wish we got to see more of her actual backstory and not just found it file notes. Seriously Capcom, you couldn't give her a brief 2 to 3 minute flashback?
  • Though more linear than the previous game, it's not a bad thing. The levels don't drag on, and they're still plenty of open ended levels where you can take side paths that rewards you for finding hidden collectibles, or taking the risk with enemies involved.
  • Easier quick time events*. Granted, this is only available, if you have the 8th generation versions of the game. The qtes are still not that bad, but they are more difficult when playing on the harder difficulties.
  • You get better melee options. Chris, Sheva, and all the characters featured in Mercenaries have better melee options compared to Leon or those in RE4 Mercenaries. You get literally three or four melee options based off where enemy is hit, if you're in front or behind them, or if they're on the ground. If you kneecap a person and then go behind them either character has to move that counts as an instant kill when the button prop comes up. I can't wait to see you what they pull off for RE5R. I will bring up my possible guesses and theories in the Resident Evil thread.
  • And even better Mercenaries Mode, that is unlocked from the start if you have the PS4 or Xbox One versions. The other two bonus modes are fine from what I remember, but I haven't touched them. Most fans like Lost in the Nightmares, but dislike or mixed about Desperate Escape. All I know is that they're both still better compared to Separate Ways and Assignment Ada.
  • A much better story and original closing off point for the series. Yes, I said it. I know people like RE4's story for how "so bad it is, good" but I never cared much for it, until RE4R made it great. Mikami has long admitted he hates the story, and the fact that he rushed it with all the script he writes and only had two weeks to do it.
  • Much better pacing. The fourth game is technically shorter, but drags pretty much as soon as you get to the island. 5 goes have some drag, but it's nowhere near as long and it goes by out of brisker pace as far as I'm concerned and experienced.
The only things RE4 has over 5 is better boss variety and better inventory. There should have been at least 12 slots total instead of 9 per character. RE5's best boss fights are mainly those that involve Wesker, or that bat scorpion boss around the end of chapter 2. No. 1 problem with the bosses is that they're either just giant insect hybrid, giant arachnids, or a walking body of worms known as Uroboros. And if it isn't those, it's usually giant boss you have to kill with a turret gun or something. I admit that at least the Excella boss fight does something interesting with it, but you're more or less doing the same thing, except we have a giant orbital satellite to mix up the pace

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
After listening to some youtube stuff and with all the indies coming out that are capturing the hearts of critics but seem boring to me, a review of things I like:

- HUD
- yellow paint
- maps with icons
- well-rendered cut scenes
- video games that have both narrative AND gameplay
- fast travel

Imagine if the only music that ever got attention where squonky avant-garde noise or children's music, with nothing in between. That's what video games feel like at this moment, with three types of games:

1- dumb bang bang war or sports for the masses
2- obtuse annoying confusing nonsense that glorifies everything annoying about old games
3- walking sims made by people who failed film school

Don't mind me I'm grumpy today...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
HUD
- yellow paint
- maps with icons
- well-rendered cut scenes
- video games that have both narrative AND gameplay
- fast travel

Imagine if the only music that ever got attention where squonky avant-garde noise or children's music, with nothing in between. That's what video games feel like at this moment, with three types of games:

1- dumb bang bang war or sports for the masses
2- obtuse annoying confusing nonsense that glorifies everything annoying about old games
3- walking sims made by people who failed film school

Don't mind me I'm grumpy today...
I'm a bit confused. Are you complaining about the people whining about these things so much? I know you didn't see the yellow paint as a big issue. I sort of agree with you there and some people on the space battles forums got on my ass it.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm a bit confused. Are you complaining about the people whining about these things so much? I know you didn't see the yellow paint as a big issue. I.
Sort of agree with you there and some people on the space battles forums got on my ass it.
Yes that is correct. I think it's become a shortcut way to sound smart to make declaration like "maps with icons" (or whatever) is BAD. When, in fact, it should really depend on the context of the rest of the game, the intended audience, and the total experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Old_Hunter_77, A trend I am noticing is that whenever a new game comes out great, especially with graphics, These reviewers go on about a "true next-gen experience/next gen is finally here!", even though this has already happened several times before with GoW Ragnarok, Dead Space Remake, RE4R, HF RUSH, Ratchet and Clank rift apart, Spiderman 2, and Alan Wake II. I noticed, after all the reviews of Hellblade II have come out. Do the previous games, not count now or something? The game does look amazing on 4K screens and everything, but do people have that much of a short term memory loss?

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Old_Hunter_77, A trend I am noticing. Is that whenever a new game comes out great, especially with graphics, These reviewers go on about a "true next-gen experience/next gen is finally here!", even though this has already happened several times before with GoW Ragnarok, Dead Space Remake, RE4R, HF RUSH, Ratchet and Clank rift apart, Spiderman 2, and Alan Wake II. I noticed, after all the reviews of Hellblade II have come out. Do the previous games, not count now or something? The game does look amazing on 4K screens and everything, Bud. Do people have that much of a short term memory loss?
Hmm.. I see your point but also I dunno if I remember it exactly that way- though certainly we're not consuming all the same media exactly.

For example with Rift Apart, what I remember was the praise was that it was one of the few PS5-specific showcases because not just the graphics but its use of the haptics. So, yeah, PS5 = next-gen, but that is also console exclusive. Contrast to Hellblade 2 which can give the "next gen" benefits on PC.
I don't remember any "next-gen" praise for Hi-Fi Rush- I mean, why would there be, it doesn't do anything "next gen" in term of graphics or whatever- in fact the whole reason folks loved it is because it's a small straight-forward clever game that has nothing to do with the tech race. Ragnarok wasn't praised for "next gen" because wasn't that still backward compatible with PS4? I don't remember the term "next gen" being used for the remakes but maybe they were I'll take your word for it, I just remember them being praised overall as good updates to those beloved games.

Actually the thing that has struck me about Hellblade 2 being praised for its graphics is on the other way- are these the same folks who constantly go around talking about how graphics don't matter, about how gameplay > graphics, about how innovation should be more than just walking around looking at cool graphics? And now the expected praise for this game that is apparently mostly walking and simple combat that has awesome graphics. Ok. *shrug*

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes that is correct. I think it's become a shortcut way to sound smart to make declaration like "maps with icons" (or whatever) is BAD. When, in fact, it should really depend on the context of the rest of the game, the intended audience, and the total experience.
The zeitgeist in the gaming world now is to properly shit on anything that has any semblance of an adherence to a trope, removed from the context of the whole. I mean, we're not far from people saying how tired it is to press "A" to jump, or pulling the right trigger to fire.

As someone who has long since felt disaffected with the world of gaming, I'm content to find anything that does what it does well enough to engage me. I don't care how often it's been done, who else has done it, why they did it, etc. If the yellow paints serves its purpose in a game that is generally fun and interesting, I'm not going to watch a 30 minute YouTube video of some videogame snob shitting on the yellow paint.

People are just looking for niggling things to complain about, when the BIGGER problem is the industry-wide business practices that have made games factory products as opposed to creative efforts. But folks have grown numb trying to appeal to the Supreme Court, so have settled on minor battles in municipal courts, suing their neighbors when they wrecked their car swerving to dodge the massive sinkhole in the underfunded and neglected city street, because the untrimmed hedge in their neighbor's lawn blocked their view.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The zeitgeist in the gaming world now is to properly shit on anything that has any semblance of an adherence to a trope, removed from the context of the whole. I mean, we're not far from people saying how tired it is to press "A" to jump, or pulling the right trigger to fire.
Unless it's retro, then it's cool! Make something that looks like it's from PS1 that has any of the tropes and you're a g-d hero.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
don't remember any "next-gen" praise for Hi-Fi Rush- I mean, why would there be, it doesn't do anything "next gen" in term of graphics or whatever- in fact the whole reason folks loved it is because it's a small straight-forward clever game that has nothing to do with the tech race. Ragnarok wasn't praised for "next gen" because wasn't that still backward compatible with PS4? I don't remember the term "next gen" being used for the remakes but maybe they were I'll take your word for it, I just remember them being praised overall as good updates to those beloved games.
There were a few praising Ragnarok, if you were playing the PS5 version as next gen. Mainly a few youtube reviewers. HF not as much, but there were a few reviewers I remember going on about how even though it's a throw back, it feels like a great next generation game with its own art style and design.

Actually the thing that has struck me about Hellblade 2 being praised for its graphics is on the other way- are these the same folks who constantly go around talking about how graphics don't matter, about how gameplay > graphics, about how innovation should be more than just walking around looking at cool graphics? And now the expected praise for this game that is apparently mostly walking and simple combat that has awesome graphics. Ok. *shrug*
For somebody's people, it's double standards and because it's NT. Gaming journalism has always had a nearly overwhelming positive bias for them. What were the way Microsoft has been acting and everything? I'm sure more than a few are going extra hard in some vein of hope of them not getting shut down. When as we seen already being successful can still dan you to a company that pleases at shareholders or are vague or what counts as successful.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unless it's retro, then it's cool! Make something that looks like it's from PS1 that has any of the tropes and you're a g-d hero.
Not exactly. There are a few early steam games that try to look like a playstation game and has gameplay worst than those from the mid to late 90s.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Not exactly. There are a few early steam games that try to look like a playstation game and has gameplay worst than those from the mid to late 90s.
Well obviously I mean the ones that are getting acclaim, like Crow Country.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well obviously I mean the ones that are getting acclaim, like Crow Country.
And Signalis, but that's because those games actually remember to have good gameplay. Though Signalis has some item management issues even with the updates. The amount being too little to carry.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And Signalis, but that's because those games act. You remember to have good game play. Though Signalis Has some item management issues even with the updates. The amount being too little to carry.
From what I've seen, Signalis slavishly adheres to the conceit that old games were good because they were stupidly difficult and wasted a lot of the player's time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've seen, Signalis slavishly adheres to the conceit that old games were good because they were stupidly difficult and wasted a lot of the player's time.
As far as difficulty goes, I've heard it go in either direction. The more i've seen the less i'm interested I got. I'd rather just get Crow Country at this point. Signalis does have great visuals and story, but gameplay mechanics of old that wasn't needed.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
HiFi Rush is better with the Spanish Latin America voice pack. Originally tried Portuguese first to replace English VA but the performances were lacking the dynamic energy to vibe with the game. Not the case for Spanish Latin America, however!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
HiFi Rush is better with the Spanish Latin America voice pack. Originally tried Portuguese first to replace English VA but the performances were lacking the dynamic energy to vibe with the game. Not the case for Spanish Latin America, however!
As is the Spanish LA dub for DmC (2013). More so with Donte/DINO. The Latin America voice actors know how to ham it up. I'll still take the English voice acting for HF Rush, though I will say that I find the Japanese voice cast somewhat lacking. More so Chai, because he sounds way too young and high pitched for his age. For reference, he is 25.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Giant Bosses are overrated.

Whenever I see a giant Boss in a game my first thought is 'well, better take care of this guy', when I see a man-sized Boss my first thought is 'oh fuck'.