General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
On the one hand, I did laugh a fair bit at that trailer. One the other, I think they forget Beverly Hills Cop isn't a bombastic action movie like Bad Boys. Though its nice to see most of the old crew back. As long as I get a few good laughs and Axel gets to crack wise I'll be happy. Interested to know what woman was willing to put up with him to have a daughter though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A new Ghost in the Shell TV series is coming out. This one's actually gonna be more accurate to the art style of the original manga. Set for release in 2026.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
These Euros need to get their facts straight as most estimates say it made 32 mil stateside but they gave a few compelling if not still ultimately bs reasonings -

Idk who’s more to blame: the trailers for occasionally “looking” too cgi-ish or all the stupid word of mouth people flapping their pie holes trashing it online before even seeing the whole fucking thing. The other reasons being prequelitis (who gives a fuck it’s more Mad Max), Miller/WB lawsuit over unpaid earnings (fuck you WB) delaying filming for years (didn’t matter for Avatar 2 but that had amazing marketing), and people waiting for streaming are also factors, but shouldn’t have been this impactful.

If I were theaters I’d keep it in as long as Avatar 2, Oppenheimer, Maverick, etc. because good movies will eventually make their money back, even if this one in particular didn’t get a fair shake out the starting gate.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
You're optimistic.

Bad PR or bad luck can turn a good film into a flop. Look at the list of biggest flops, it's often not deserved.
The caveat was that they keep it in theaters long enough. They owe it that much, and one would think it would be in their best interest if it turns out people liked it. In some cases probably more-so than they might’ve thought.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah man, it's cuz woman.

Who knows, maybe this is kinda like a Wii-U situation, where people were confused whether this was just Fury Road again. It didn't exactly manage to ride the hype of Fury Road afterall. The want for more Mad Max wasn't really in the air either.
No, it was WB screwing up on the marketing. They barely did any TV ads for this. Though the first two actual movie trailers that came out made it clear that the movie is a prequel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Related to why a lot of these big budget films aren't doing so hot. Furiosa gets mentioned in the beginning. Point being is that we are overstimulated as a whole, and have so many other options/avenues for entertainment. Especially in the digital age and there will always be that generation gap on those that consume their media from online or Smart TVs. There's the usual case of "I'll wait to see it on streaming or home video".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nah man, it's cuz woman.

Who knows, maybe this is kinda like a Wii-U situation, where people were confused whether this was just Fury Road again. It didn't exactly manage to ride the hype of Fury Road afterall. The want for more Mad Max wasn't really in the air either.
I think it's mostly a marketing thing. "A Mad Max Saga" kinda kills the mood and cheapens the movie into being both a prequel AND a spin-off, like "A Star Wars Story".

For sure the timing doesn't help. It's been 9 years since Fury Road. It's been long enough for that wave to die, but not so long that another movie becomes an "event", like Avatar 2. And that was just more of the same, unlike Furiosa. Furiosa would've done much better 5 years ago, but then it would've probably just been Fury Road 2.

It also doesn't help that none of the A-listers (Hardy, Theron) are back and have instead been replaced by younger, trendier actors. There's a good reason for that but it's also bad optics. Again it feels "lesser" than OG.

Then the usual pandemic/streaming/kidsratherwatchtiktok excuses but that's basically every movie these days. It's easier to explain why a movie would do well than why it would underperform.

So I do think there's a multitude of reasons why the movie's underperforming, and maybe one of them is "cuz woman" moviegoers, but ultimately I think it boils down to a marketing thing. Which would explain why the box office is picking up ever so slightly after a horrible debut. That's word of mouth.