Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Piscian

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

A remake of an absolute classic monster-flick. And it doesn't clearly show how he looks like, which is a good thing
Random bit of trivia, the originally Nosferatu film (of about a century ago) introduced vampires being destroyed by sunlight. And because the story was too close to Dracula (they changed stuff, but not enough), all copies were supposed to be destroyed. But bootleggers kept some copies in circulation.

If it wasn't for copyright pirates, vampires could walk in daylight.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Random bit of trivia, the originally Nosferatu film (of about a century ago) introduced vampires being destroyed by sunlight. And because the story was too close to Dracula (they changed stuff, but not enough), all copies were supposed to be destroyed. But bootleggers kept some copies in circulation.

If it wasn't for copyright pirates, vampires could walk in daylight.
e5x5.gif

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Smile: Creepy / Great

Rose, a psychologist working long hours in a trauma ward has a very frantic and distressed young woman suddenly thrust upon her. This young woman claims she's being haunted by a mysterious entity that assumes other people's identities to torment her, and has threatened to kill her. She says this entity is identifiable by a menacing smile. Of course, Rose believes this to be some form of psychosis, and tries to take the clinical course in the conversation when the young woman suddenly leaps from her chair to the floor claiming the being is in the room and is about to kill her. Rose goes to an emergency phone to call for help, and when she turns around, the young woman is standing and staring at her... smiling.

Good movie. Scared the hell out of me several times, but that was probably mostly because I was in D-Box, so the jump scares were intensified. Still, the premise that unravels throughout is an interesting and gruesome one. Unfortunately, it felt like the kind of film that's going to fall victim to sequel culture whereas I think it's perfect on it's own two feet as a "one and done" and doesn't deserve to have its impact diluted.
*sigh* Is it ironic that this makes me frown? But I called it (see above.) The first film was great, and ended just as it should have; there is no way this film will have half the impact of the first. We were left with a wonderfully horrifying mystery, and now they're will be more of it, but with zero mystery, just jump scares and body horror.

Fuck... yeah, I'm gonna watch it. Not proud of it, but I'll watch it. My hope is with expectations this low, they can exceed them and at least entertain me if they can't intrigue me.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
*sigh* Is it ironic that this makes me frown? But I called it (see above.) The first film was great, and ended just as it should have; there is no way this film will have half the impact of the first. We were left with a wonderfully horrifying mystery, and now they're will be more of it, but with zero mystery, just jump scares and body horror.

Fuck... yeah, I'm gonna watch it. Not proud of it, but I'll watch it. My hope is with expectations this low, they can exceed them and at least entertain me if they can't intrigue me.

If anything it wins the award for “least smile-inducing horror movie sequel we never saw coming in the history of horror movie sequels”.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Rounding out the trifecta of modern fantasy seinen, Witch Hat Atelier has a trailer and details for its anime adaptation:

Bug Films, directed by Ayumu Watanabe, music by Yuka Kitamura, character design by Kairi Unabara