Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Monsterverse movies:

Godzilla (2014)
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs King Kong
Godzilla x Kong = New Diet Monster Empire Squared or Whatever They're Calling These Things

Yeah I was in the mood for some dumb monster shit I guess, mostly inspired by multiple IRL peeps hyping up that AppleTV+ show set in this rebooted mega-umbrella property owning empire that smashed these 100 year old properties and rips them away from any of the relevant thematic context they came from in order to deliver mindless spectacle.

Funny enough the first of these does try to be a real movie, serving as a sort of respectful tribute to the original Godzilla and a corrective to the 1998 movie and honestly anything we as a society can do to clean up the cultural horror that was the late 90's the better we'll all be for it anyway. Having Bryan Cranston and then Ken Watanable try to carry the emotional stakes is the best you can do in this circumstance and they're compelling as always. But I was mostly bored and I felt bad about that because I recognized they were trying here.

I think the reason I felt more connected to the Planet of the Apes remake trilogy is that the creature-feature hook and the character were the same person: Caeser. We see his journey and I was compelled. Godzilla can never be the character- sure sometimes you can sympathize when he's being tricked and they certainly make him a hero by making him the protector of earth but he's not a person, they give us a series of actual human person we're supposed to care for. But then with each movie as the spectacle gets more and more insane it drowns out the character moments. I just didn't care about 11 from Stranger Things and her dumb family as people.

By the last two movies every human is a Borderlands characters because now there's just too many monsters. In the one where they introduce King Gidorah they also introduce like 5 others and I knew this would happen. Well it's fun, you know, well produced as expected. Kinda like "playing" Final Fantasy 16 hahah come on you knew I had to make that completely original joke no one else is comparing them....

I guess King Kong by the end got the most "arc" because he's threatened, displaced, and in the last movie we get Even Worse Apes.
I enjoy almost all the movies. The?
Only one I hate is Godzilla 2014. G Minus It's literally the better version of that, making G2014 even more pointless. Don't even bother getting the DVD or blu ray copies as a screen is way too dark and has a worse transfer quality.

My top list:
  1. Godzilla x Kong
  2. Skull Island
  3. King of the Monsters
  4. Godzilla vs. Kong
  5. G2014
Rampage (2018) It's a pretty good giant monster movie too. It has nothing to do with the monsterverse, but it's still awesome.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Its funny because King of the Monsters was the only one I liked. I didn't like the first one because everyone was hyping up Cranston - who I find insufferable and no Breaking Bad was not revelatory for me so fuck off with that shit, Internet - who then died and we're left with his idiot son. Why we're not with Dr. Serizawa and Admiral Stenz all the time is beyond me but there you go. Plus the movie had a bad habit of blue-balling the audience on monster action. I get they didn't want to go overboard but it was never going to be Gojira from '54 and it was arrogant to try.

The rest of them had Kong in them and outside the 1934 film which I respect as a piece of film history rather than actually like, I didn't bother because if I'm gonna pay money to see something smash up a building it better be a giant radiation Tyrannosaurus dragon, or a three headed space lightning dragon. Hell I will watch a solo movie about Mothra before I watch another Kong movie.
And yet I found Kong the most fun monster to watch in action, probably because he's the most human-like. I was actually invested how he's gonna use his brawn and brains to deal with creatures that have huge tails and fire freakin' lazer beams.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And yet I found Kong the most fun monster to watch in action, probably because he's the most human-like. I was actually invested how he's gonna use his brawn and brains to deal with creatures that have huge tails and fire freakin' lazer beams.
Kong and the mute girl are the best characters in this franchise. Kong even gets the most development out of the entire cast and it just works.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I did not enjoy this on a rewatch as much as I thought I would.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I fucking hated this movie. It's literally just 2 hours of people yelling, I was so sick of every character by the end. Adam Sandler dying was a nice touch.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watched Godzilla Minus One.

First off, while I do not at all doubt that this movie deserved to win the Oscar for visual effects more than the other movies nominated, I couldn't help feel a little... underwhelmed by the effects, Godzilla himself was great, but there were far too many static shots of real people reacting to Godzilla, then cutting back to Godzilla, then back to the people, etc. I probably wouldn't have noticed this in theaters, but the movie didn't come to theaters here, so up yours.

All in all though, I quite enjoyed it. I feel like some might have to get used to the way Japanese actors act, but I've watched a bunch of Japanese productions this year and so while I noticed the acting, it didn't bother me. The absolute shambles Japan was in after the war was recreated heart breakingly, with the image of "success" being not living in the bombed out ruins of your parents home and instead a ramshackle house that would pass for a tool shed in other countries.

I also thought the movie did an excellent job of making Godzilla seem ever present without actually having him on screen for most of the time. Keeping him as a force of nature rather than the focus of the movie feels like a stark contrast to the current Monster-verse.

Not sure how I feel about the sequel baiting in the ending, but then I'm no hardcore Godzilla fan and had to google what it meant.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
How did that happen?
The wife in Uncut Gems was played by Idena Menzel, who was Elsa's voice actress. Its a similar mind blowing experience for a young My Little Pony: FIM fan when they play Lollipop Chainsaw and realise the zombie killing chainsaw wielding cheerleader who makes innuendo that would embarrass Austin Powers is Twilight Sparkle.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
No Country for Old Men (2007)

Decided to rewatch this. I've first seen it what must have been near 15 years ago and only remembered parts of it. No Country for Old Men is a movie about a Vietnam Vet (Josh Brolin) attempting to secure a suitcase full of money he found at the scene of a shootout from a relentless killer (Javier Bardem) , who is in turn pursued, if not very effectively, by the local sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones).

Adapted by the Coen Brothers from a Cormac McCarthy novel (an author, I'll admit, I haven't read a single thing from) it's widely regarded as the quintessential modern western and one of the Coens most acclaimed movies. Rewatching it after all this time was an interesting experience. Seeing it as a teenager, closer to when it came out, I very much bought into Javier Bardem's assassin Anton Chigurh as this nearly mythical figure, this embodiment of an unstoppable force no mere mortal could ever touch. Watching it now, No Country feels much more like a story about the inability of an entire society to deal with a single man.

Chigurh is a badass, make no mistake, but there were multiple times he could have been taken out. His introductory scene sees him escape arrest because he was poorly handcuffed while the deputy had his back turned to him. Much later in the movie Brolin's Llewellyn had a chance to shoot him point blank served to him on a silver platter, but he hesitated to pull the trigger. All of which makes No Country feel much less like a movie about some inevitable and insurmountable evil that haunts the American frontier as it does like a cautionary tale about underestimating or being too afraid to confront it.

Thinking back to the scene just before the movies ending, the car crash that ends up crippling Chigurh, I found it difficult to see the point in it. But in retrospect it appears to have been the movies way to emphasize that this larger than life killer who decides over life and death via coin flip like some sort of Batman villain, isn't some invincible demon, but a man who bleeds like everyone else. All of which appears to make No Country an example of the old truism that all that's necessary for evil to succeed is for good to do nothing.

Good, as far as the movie is concerned, is too afraid, too complacent, too old and too naive to rise to the challenge. Chigurh turning the rugged, ruthless individualism that conquered the old west back against the civilised society that grew on top of it and has long forgotten how to deal with it. The violence never went away, it never even changed all that much, it just became easier and more convenient to ignore. Jones's Sheriff Bell retiring at the end after failing to restore anything resembling justice is difficult to read as anything other than an admission of defeat. If there is such a thing as justice, it's not going to be "old men" like him that are going to bring it to the people.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Technically, I reviewed this already, but because my reviewing style has changed and, in my opinion, improved, I decided to potentially go back to some movies I reviewed and re-do them to see if my opinion has changed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No Country for Old Men (2007)

Decided to rewatch this. I've first seen it what must have been near 15 years ago and only remembered parts of it. No Country for Old Men is a movie about a Vietnam Vet (Josh Brolin) attempting to secure a suitcase full of money he found at the scene of a shootout from a relentless killer (Javier Bardem) , who is in turn pursued, if not very effectively, by the local sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones).

Adapted by the Coen Brothers from a Cormac McCarthy novel (an author, I'll admit, I haven't read a single thing from) it's widely regarded as the quintessential modern western and one of the Coens most acclaimed movies. Rewatching it after all this time was an interesting experience. Seeing it as a teenager, closer to when it came out, I very much bought into Javier Bardem's assassin Anton Chigurh as this nearly mythical figure, this embodiment of an unstoppable force no mere mortal could ever touch. Watching it now, No Country feels much more like a story about the inability of an entire society to deal with a single man.

Chigurh is a badass, make no mistake, but there were multiple times he could have been taken out. His introductory scene sees him escape arrest because he was poorly handcuffed while the deputy had his back turned to him. Much later in the movie Brolin's Llewellyn had a chance to shoot him point blank served to him on a silver platter, but he hesitated to pull the trigger. All of which makes No Country feel much less like a movie about some inevitable and insurmountable evil that haunts the American frontier as it does like a cautionary tale about underestimating or being too afraid to confront it.

Thinking back to the scene just before the movies ending, the car crash that ends up crippling Chigurh, I found it difficult to see the point in it. But in retrospect it appears to have been the movies way to emphasize that this larger than life killer who decides over life and death via coin flip like some sort of Batman villain, isn't some invincible demon, but a man who bleeds like everyone else. All of which appears to make No Country an example of the old truism that all that's necessary for evil to succeed is for good to do nothing.

Good, as far as the movie is concerned, is too afraid, too complacent, too old and too naive to rise to the challenge. Chigurh turning the rugged, ruthless individualism that conquered the old west back against the civilised society that grew on top of it and has long forgotten how to deal with it. The violence never went away, it never even changed all that much, it just became easier and more convenient to ignore. Jones's Sheriff Bell retiring at the end after failing to restore anything resembling justice is difficult to read as anything other than an admission of defeat. If there is such a thing as justice, it's not going to be "old men" like him that are going to bring it to the people.
A good example of Anton's not actual unstoppableness is at the start when he pulls over the random citizen with the stolen patrol car. The guy pulls over because it's a cop car and let's Chigurh get close with the air gun because he doesn't recognize what it is (and neither does the audience at that point probably). Everything about Chigurh screams trouble in that scene (also we just a second ago saw him kill a cop), yet this citizen just let's it happen, because... no one expects such a blatantly and openly vicious act.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Just watched Godzilla: Minus One and... I don't know. Certainly not as good as Shin Godzilla, but seeing as that's the only other Japanese Godzilla movie I've seen I can't judge Minus One on its Godzilla quality. What I can judge it on is acting quality and unfortunately this is not terribly good. Even accounting for how Japan might approach acting this is just kinda hokey - I can't say I felt this awkwardness when watching Battle Royale, Kikujiro, Audition, or even Shin Godzilla.

It also doesn't seem to feel its size. It takes place in the aftermath of World War 2, the aftermath of the nuclear strikes on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, yet you never really get a sense of the nation wide trauma. We get a handful of people and one or two crowd scenes showing discontent at the state of the country due to the war, but this rather pales in comparison to movies like Grave of the Fireflies and Barefoot Gen which manage to drench you in post-war depression. But maybe I'm asking too much from what is ultimately a summer blockbuster.

There's two moments that were very convenient to a ludicrous degree. Like when Koichi finds a tripped Noriko in a crowd of hundreds of feeling people, or Mizushima's entourage of tugboats managing to tie themselves to the two main warships in a matter of minutes.

There's also some rather dire sequel baiting that honestly felt like it came out of left field, considering the message of this movie.
It was the professor character that took me out. Gritty postwar Japan where people are all miserable and live in shantytowns, and then you have the professor character with the wild hairdo who's clearly a young dude in "old" makeup that looks like he belongs in live action DBZ.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It was the professor character that took me out. Gritty postwar Japan where people are all miserable and live in shantytowns, and then you have the professor character with the wild hairdo who's clearly a young dude in "old" makeup that looks like he belongs in live action DBZ.
I don't know if he might've been a reference to the original Godzilla. I think I remember a similar looking character in clips I've seen, but I can't be sure. But yeah, the professor hair and glasses were a very on the nose.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Black Demon: Meh / Great

Combining his family vacation with his scheduled inspection of an off-shore oil rig in Mexico, Paul (Josh Lucas) and his family arrive to find a once ideal fishing/oil mining community almost completely impoverished and neglected. The why? El Demonio Negro, a massive shark that has been terrorizing the ocean surrounding the oil rig.

A really anemic shark horror movie. You get to see the shark all of about 3 times, and it’s attacks are mostly relegated to bumping the rig to remind us that the black demon the scant few cast members are in constant fear of is actually out there. Not a horrible movie, just does very little with the little it has.