Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I Saw The TV Glow (2024)

Wonderful movie. It gave me an existential crisis.

The second movie by newcomer Jane Schoenbrun, after Everybody's Going to the World's Fair, which I found incredibly boring. TV Glow deals with two teenagers in the 90's bonding over a mystery television series for teens. A boy and a girl, played by Justice Smith and Brigette Lundy-Paine respectively, one from an overprotective household, the other one from a negligent one. As they grow up, drift apart and meet again a good while after, they realize that their memories and the content of the television show have become interlinked in mysterious ways.

It's a movie that started off on a note that didn't exactly win me over, much like World's Fair failed to. Dealing mostly with nostalgia and teenage angst, the first of which I never really experienced because the latter never really went away. That said, as the movie went on that became more or less like what it is about. What if your time as a dysfunctional teenager never became the memory it's meant to be, because rather than growing out of it, you just turn into a dysfunctional adult. And what if your only way to contextualize it is finding meaning in the artistic creations that made you who you are. The arc of Justice Smith, or perhaps it's more of a spiral, really hit me.

I dunno. I lost my first real job because I had a panic attack and every subsequent one because my performance wasn't up to standard. Surely it should be obvious to anyone who's seen the movie why the ending hit me pretty hard. It's like... you try to look normal and functional but you realize you're not fooling anyone, not even yourself and you sort of imagine a version of yourself that works right and sort of claw and cut and scratch at yourself to get it out but it doesn't and all that's left is to find meaning in things other people created and the way they reflect off you like, goddamn it, I'm doing right now.

In a sense, Smith and Lundy-Paine seem to be different versions of the same character, just with different outcomes. The latter is left a lot more ambiguous, although on closer analysis it might very well be the bleaker one between the two. There is something very interesting in the way Schoenbrun depicts the show that serves as the medium that connects these two young people. A sort of teen mystery show, some of the footage we see directly references the off-beat Nickelodeon sitcom Pete and Pete. Not to put too fine a point on it, to me it mostly brought to mind some half repressed memories of shows named The Secret World of Alex Mack and So Weird I think I saw a couple of times as a kid. It appears to be the sort of thing that features just enough evocative imagery and and ideas to occupy the mind of a teenager with nothing else in their life. Especially in a time when access to media was more limited.

Past all of its surrealist and postmodernist touches and some rather token feeling lynchian musical sequences, it's a movie about maladjustment, and a very hard hitting one. Jane Schoenbrun is a transwoman... and, well, it's not hard to see how the movie reflects that kind of experience. Especially not in those scenes when the two leads see themselves in the role of the televisions shows two female protagonists. But by all means, it's not only about that kind of experience. This one's for all of the outsiders out there.

All of which is to say, this movie really, really worked for me. Now, as to whether that makes it a great movie on a more objective scale, I'm not entirely sure. A lot of people are going to expect harder hitting payoffs or a less abrupt ending or a sort of more literal treatment of its outwardly abstract elements, that all act as rather straight forward and almost impossible to misunderstand allegory. But I feel it's the sort of thing that either hits you emotionally, or it doesn't. The only other movies that did this for me were Synecdoche, New York and I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Charlie Kaufmann. The latter of which I periodically rewatch, the former of which I don't dare to. Was this as good as either of those? Not quite, but it comes closer than the second movie someone's made has any right to. It left me pretty impressed.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I saw Bad Boys: Ride or Die. Great movie and I like it about the same as the third movie, but the action is better in Ride or Die.

As top and bottom spots in all movies:
  1. Bad Boys 3
  2. Ride or Die
  3. Bad Boys
  4. Bad Boys II

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Civil war 2024 10/10

*massive pseudo spoilers about the relevance of the film*

So I say this without any research or prior knowledge of the production, but Ill be impressed by any contrary publication. Civil war has nothing to do with a USA based Civil war. In fact its a beat for beat re-inactment of the US Shock & Awe campaign and subsequent invasion of Iraq as told through the lens of western journalists.

Like fuckin beat for beat and I refuse to believe otherwise. I was there I was 21 when the two towers fell and 22 when we invaded. I remember the nightly news when 10-12 journalist were in that subbasement in Baghdad when the bombs fell live on television.

Civil war isn't some catchfire sci-fi film about an American civil war. Its a reskin of the US invasion of Iraq and its really a biofic of the journalists that died in Iraq.

The ultimate goal of the film is to visualize the experience of war time journalists for the viewer. The idea of a US civil war is really just colour. It adds empathy. If he had actually placed it in Iraq no one would give a shit.

It was so uncomfortable and weird watching this because of how familiar it was. I had 5 coworkers quit to go to iraq. 2 died, 1 as an army casualty and 1 died driving trucks. I never heard from the others.

I would almost kinda advise people to watch with that perspective. Its not about some sympathetic fictional war, but really wants you to put yourself in the shoes of war time journalists and envision the sort of nihilistic thrill seeking that drives them.

It was intense easy 10/10

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Mino
Civil war 2024 10/10

*massive pseudo spoilers about the relevance of the film*

So I say this without any research or prior knowledge of the production, but Ill be impressed by any contrary publication. Civil war has nothing to do with a USA based Civil war. In fact its a beat for beat re-inactment of the US Shock & Awe campaign and subsequent invasion of Iraq as told through the lens of western journalists.

Like fuckin beat for beat and I refuse to believe otherwise. I was there I was 21 when the two towers fell and 22 when we invaded. I remember the nightly news when 10-12 journalist were in that subbasement in Baghdad when the bombs fell live on television.

Civil war isn't some catchfire sci-fi film about an American civil war. Its a reskin of the US invasion of Iraq and its really a biofic of the journalists that died in Iraq.

The ultimate goal of the film is to visualize the experience of war time journalists for the viewer. The idea of a US civil war is really just colour. It adds empathy. If he had actually placed it in Iraq no one would give a shit.

It was so uncomfortable and weird watching this because of how familiar it was. I had 5 coworkers quit to go to iraq. 2 died, 1 as an army casualty and 1 died driving trucks. I never heard from the others.

I would almost kinda advise people to watch with that perspective. Its not about some sympathetic fictional war, but really wants you to put yourself in the shoes of war time journalists and envision the sort of nihilistic thrill seeking that drives them.

It was intense easy 10/10
Minor clarification, the more I think about it the more I feel like a lot of scenes are pulled from the libyan Civil War and assassination? of Muammar Gaddafi. I think regardless Civil War is just ripped from the headlines Wartime journalism painted over with a US civil war to be more empathetic to audiences.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, 4/10

This is David Fincher's famous Forrest Gump -esque opus about a man aging in reverse. It's an interesting concept and this movie has stuck in the public consciousness because of it, but sadly I think the film mostly just squanders it. It's a perfectly well made film: the acting's all good, the visual effects all look great even if some of it is dated and there's tons of production value and period detail on display. But it is ultimately basically just Forrest Gump but much, much schmaltzier and more saccharine. And Forrest Gump is a fairly schmaltzy film to begin with. The comparisons are unavoidable, so let's just get them over with:
  1. Forrest Gump is for a lot of its runtime a comedy, which both helps reinforce its oddball style, and stand in contrast to the more dramatic moments. Benjamin Button takes itself far, far more seriously and is a lot more poe-faced, which wouldn't be a problem in itself, if...
  2. ...the movie wasn't so fucking self-satisfied. Every other scene has some big, dramatic poignant line or moment that thinks it's imparting some great life wisdom or teaching us some profound truth. This in conjunction with the super melodramatic, overpresent and insistent score just made me roll my eyes in a ton of scenes, and actually groan aloud towards the end. It was almost insufferable in a lot of points.
  3. Benjamin Button as a character is just a brick devoid of personality and even agency for a lot of the film. For a lot of it things just happen to him, not because of him. I guess the film is going for more of a blank slate character so that other characters can contrast with and stand out from him, but it just doesn't work. If the film was more stylized, or the characters more vibrant or larger than life then maybe it could work, and there's some that do that: the pygmy adventurer and the sea captain clearly. But the rest are very realistic and down to earth, which leaves them feeling like little more than stock characters. I'm not saying Forrest Gump is some great firecracker of a personality either, but at least the story is directed and affected by his decisions: he chooses to go save Bubba, he chooses to start running, and he shows open emotion. BB on the other hand just goes along with whatever he comes across and always maintains a perfect composure. There's not a single moment in the film like when Forrest Gump recognizes Lt. Dan and swims to him for example.
Furthermore, Benjamin Button is pretty much an "and then" story. Things and scenes just happen without much of a sense of them having impact on another, or much of anything being affected by Benjamin's decisions. It's structured almost like a bad biopic. Now, obviously with a premise like this you kind of have to show a life from beginning to end, but I just don't feel the way this movie went with it was the right call. You could do so much more interesting things with this premise, show all the incredible adventures and situations such a character would get in. But the movie ultimately focuses on a pretty by the numbers love story, which is admittedly made a bit more interesting by the parties aging in opposite directions.

The biggest problem with the movie's structure is how there's basically zero reincorporation or callback. The movie pretends that BB is living this hugely interesting life and acquires all this wisdom, but there's not a single scene where that's actually shown rather than just told. There's no skill he's taught or a piece of knowledge that would come back later and impact the story somehow. Almost everything that happens is its own isolated incident, and has no more bearing on the story or characters than any other element. This just makes the movie a very passive experience.

So yeah, defo not recommended. Don't be fooled just because it's David Fincher.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, didn't release that Michael Kilgariff was the General.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, so Rachel Skarsten played Alice in Batwoman, Tamsin in Lost Girl, and Elizaneth 1 in Reign. All strong, scary people with personal issues. She seems to be typecast, wonder what else she's been in.

Huh, she starred in a bunch of Hallmark movies.

Marry Me At Christmas

The movie starts with her putting up Christmas decorations at her store, saying how much she loves Christmas. And her business partner says that it might be their last Christmas if they can't pay the rent. Next scene, she's with her parents, and her mother is bugging her about finding a man, it's been 3 years since her ex...yeah, it's a Hallmark film, after all.

She ends up as the wedding planner for a woman who probably wasn't supposed to come across as so hopeless and pathetic. And that woman's unattached brother happens to be some supposedly desirable movie star, though I'm not seeing it myself. And everything continues predictably from there.

The writers really weren't trying. Ok, it's a Hallmark movie, but that's no excuse. Rachel Skarsten put the effort in, why couldn't they? Boo.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, 4/10

This is David Fincher's famous Forrest Gump -esque opus about a man aging in reverse. (...) But it is ultimately basically just Forrest Gump but much, much schmaltzier and more saccharine. And Forrest Gump is a fairly schmaltzy film to begin with. The comparisons are unavoidable (...)
Would you believe me if I told you the dude who wrote the Forrest Gump screenplay is the same who wrote the Benjamin Button screenplay?

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Would you believe me if I told you the dude who wrote the Forrest Gump screenplay is the same who wrote the Benjamin Button screenplay?
Considering it's an easily verifiable fact, yes. Sheesh, talk about recycling yourself. Except reheated food is rarely better than fresh out the oven.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Considering it's an easily verifiable fact, yes. Sheesh, talk about recycling yourself. Except reheated food is rarely better than fresh out the oven.
He also wrote Dune, which makes me want to see a Forrest Gump-ed version of Paul Atreides waltzing into being the most important person in the planet at no effort and without even noticing.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
He also wrote Dune, which makes me want to see a Forrest Gump-ed version of Paul Atreides waltzing into being the most important person in the planet at no effort and without even noticing.
Man, I never looked him up, but that guy wrote a lot of stuff. Worked with Spielberg, Mann, Scorsese, Fincher, Costner... Granted, a lot of it is adaptations and stuff based loosely on true stories.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Watchers: Alright / Great

When Dakota Fanning’s car breaks down in the middle of the woods In Ireland, she attempts to find help and gets completely lost. She’s found by a woman who brings her to “the coop,” a bunker where she and two other lost travelers take shelter during the night when mysterious entities they call “watchers” roam the woods and ostensibly kill anyone outside of the coop.

Written and directed by Ishana Night Shyamalan, daughter of M. Night, it has her father's style permeating every moment, start to finish. I respect what she tried to do, I just wish she did it better, which is often how I've felt about M. Night since Signs.