It's ok to be angry about capitalism

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
"Pay us so we can recruit your kids to be minimum wage workers later."
This is for 5-12 year olds. Do you really think spending 3 hours on a single day will have any effect on the ability to recruit a child for minimum wage jobs somewhere 4 to 11 years down the line?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
This is for 5-12 year olds. Do you really think spending 3 hours on a single day will have any effect on the ability to recruit a child for minimum wage jobs somewhere 4 to 11 years down the line?
It is literally on the job training that they're expecting parents to pay for.

Also given the current trajectory of child labor laws, bold of you to assume 4-11 years.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Don't you understand? Finding joy in normal things is capitalist brainwashing.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not sure that working for Chick-a-fil entirely qualifies as "normal", and much as I appreciate that high skill, high wage jobs are but a dream for many, I'm not entirely sure fast food retail is what we should be encouraging kids to aspire to, either. Although I can't help but feel the primary function is advertising, to keep kids pestering mom and pop to buy them junk food, when the nation groans under the strain of obesity and diabetes.

Maybe Chick-a-fil could run a Summer camp to teach kids to cook decent meals from raw ingredients, talk to people politely and fix a bike or that sort of stuff. Seems more normal, healthy and constructive.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Charitably its work experience (that parents are paying for), or more accurately a workshop (since it only goes for three hours) that will teach you sod all even in preparation for taking a job as a fast food worker because five to twelve year olds simply won't internalise it, let alone retain it, over such a short period of exposure and instruction.

Also when my mind thinks of summer camp - which is really not a thing down my end of the world - it conjurs up images of going somewhere and doing things like hiking, swimming, horse riding, abseiling and stuff like that. You know, the not shit version of Kamp Krusty.

A sensible parent would spend that $35 on raw ingredients and teach their kid something themselves if they're younger, or if they just want three hours of peace, give it to the older kid and tell them to bugger off for a while. Like if they were doing it as a cooking workshop and the kids got to take the food home then it would be a great way to spend three hours.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Have any of you ever interacted with a child? Are you not aware of how much they enjoy restaurants, especially chicken nuggets, and imitating the adults they admire? The kids are going to love it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Have any of you ever interacted with a child? Are you not aware of how much they enjoy restaurants, especially chicken nuggets, and imitating the adults they admire? The kids are going to love it.
And it's a good thing that nobody would ever badly influence a child by taking advantage of their ignorance!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, we literally have toys like the Easy Bake Oven and kitchen sets. The only thing weird about the Chick-fil-A camp it's not really camp, it's a 3 hour activity basically.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Leaving any ideological objection to this bullshit to one side, I'd rather spend the $35 on stuff at the grocer and teach them myself. You know, because I'm their dad.

Yeah, we literally have toys like the Easy Bake Oven and kitchen sets.
You know I legit cannot remember the last time I saw toys like that. And I don't remember my daughters having them. Then again the first five years of their life is kind of a haze for me so I won't discount it.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And it's a good thing that nobody would ever badly influence a child by taking advantage of their ignorance!
If this were any other place of work, would you call it taking advantage of children? If they were touring a fire house or police station, or visiting with doctors, or getting to see how the things they like are made.

There's a separate building outside of Hershey Park (if you are unaware of it, yes the chocolate company, yes an amusement park) that is Chocolate World, that is a slow ride about the process of making chocolate and a candy store attached. Kids love it. Not that far south we have the Turkey Hill Ice Cream Experience, where kids get to "make ice cream", they love it. Back east there is the Crayola Factory that does the same thing with crayons. This is only considering the eastern half of Pennsylvania.

Kids like things, they're curious about how they work, they like to feel like they're behind the scenes of those things, this is not a unique program. And if anything, it's gotta be dramatically better to meet the people and see how things are done than to subscribe to thoughtless consumerism where you just buy without thinking about what's behind the counter and hope you never have to find out.
Yeah, we literally have toys like the Easy Bake Oven and kitchen sets. The only thing weird about the Chick-fil-A camp it's not really camp, it's a 3 hour activity basically.
Day camp has been a term for a while, I suspect that's just another thing to make kids happy. If you called it an activity or experience, the kids would genuinely have less fun.
Leaving any ideological objection to this bullshit to one side, I'd rather spend the $35 on stuff at the grocer and teach them myself. You know, because I'm their dad.
A) Those aren't mutually exclusive.
B) The money isn't cooking class, they get like a t-shirt and a nametag out of it. Tell me you can't picture like a 7 year old bragging to their parents about their name tag.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If this were any other place of work, would you call it taking advantage of children? If they were touring a fire house or police station, or visiting with doctors, or getting to see how the things they like are made.
If it was a for-profit, then yes, because they have a vested interest in doing so and lots of them have poor track records of exploitation and taking advantage. I wouldn't generally support leaving kids with people who have vested interests in exploiting them.

If it was a public service and not run for profit, then no. So that would exclude the US police and profit hospitals.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You know I legit cannot remember the last time I saw toys like that. And I don't remember my daughters having them. Then again the first five years of their life is kind of a haze for me so I won't discount it.
I remember my cousins had a grocery store toy set where you would work the cash register. Kids also play "house" as well.

Day camp has been a term for a while, I suspect that's just another thing to make kids happy. If you called it an activity or experience, the kids would genuinely have less fun.
Day camp would be more than just a single day as well. I remember I would go to the park district's "fun unlimited" which was basically day camp but for a majority of the summer every weekday or maybe it was 2 or 3 times a week where you would do stuff like dodgeball/softball/basketball or activities like arts and crafts during basically school hours during the day.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
B) The money isn't cooking class, they get like a t-shirt and a nametag out of it. Tell me you can't picture like a 7 year old bragging to their parents about their name tag.
I can also imagine a child bragging about a funny-shaped stick they found. In either case, for about 5-10 mins before their attention wandered on to something new.

Secondly, if I'm going to get a T-shirt advertising someone's product, I rather wonder whether they should be paying me for acting as advertising space.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
If it was a for-profit, then yes, because they have a vested interest in doing so and lots of them have poor track records of exploitation and taking advantage. I wouldn't generally support leaving kids with people who have vested interests in exploiting them.

If it was a public service and not run for profit, then no. So that would exclude the US police and profit hospitals.
Nobody tell Silvanus the real organizational intent behind the Prussian educational system, and its continued legacy as the dominant Western compulsory educational paradigm.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody tell Silvanus the real organizational intent behind the Prussian educational system, and its continued legacy as the dominant Western compulsory educational paradigm.
They're just, like, turning them into robots, man, you know? The man just can't handle free thinkers like us.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Every time I attack capitalism I am attacked as a collectivist( I am not), social liberal( I am not), or even a leftist (Ah, yes the silence on Ukraine people also I have bad experiences with the former mayor of Cleveland who was progressive Kunnich), or even alt-right(you guys). Why can't I just be for good policy? Is it a great policy to have homeless people with mental health problems sleeping on heated vents in New York City, or dying in ERs?

And then there's TikTok, 'Man those atheists who love capitalism are bad'(because TikTok is a Chinese communist-sponsored platform under a parent company under a government whose whole thing is Han Chinese good everyone else is to be managed) don't like people who think critically at the zeitgeist. No, I am not showing a video but I think they were talking about Sam Seder and Richard Dawkins. And yeah they were wrong about Gaza just like Gaza is wrong about LGBTQ+ people. But most atheists don't believe Gaza should be a place where kids have to amputate their legs, most atheists are like people in my city who volunteer with a soup kitchen.

And no the solution is not to just have fewer humans because humans are more dynamic than animals.

Also here's a study showing religious people are more likely to believe in capitalism.