Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Why would you assume that he wouldn't go for a third term?

The 22nd amendment will be loopholed like how all the other amendments now have loopholes. Many of those loopholes were specifically created by this Supreme Court

It also wouldn't suprise me if Don Jr was next in line
Have you not heard of the project 2025 plan? Conservatives have big plans, big scary plans that are right out in the open.
Yeah the GOP don't give a shit about Trump, but they do give a shit about staying in power, now that they know they can just keep it by going "actually we won" forever, why would they not? Look at the shit they're openly saying. This isn't paranoia, this is just being mildly informed.

Not even remotely true. You guys legitimately believe this? The thing is, if you actually believe this, America can already be considered a dictatorship because the people that actually care who you vote for, you're all voting for who they want you to every single time. Both parties play the same exact game, vote for us or the worst possible thing will happen so then you can't not vote for someone else because then you not voting for your team could cause the other team to win so you have to keep voting the same people in over and over again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not even remotely true. You guys legitimately believe this? The thing is, if you actually believe this, America can already be considered a dictatorship because the people that actually care who you vote for, you're all voting for who they want you to every single time. Both parties play the same exact game, vote for us or the worst possible thing will happen so then you can't not vote for someone else because then you not voting for your team could cause the other team to win so you have to keep voting the same people in over and over again.
Oh right, I always forget that you're a russian asset and thus pointless to message at all.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
This is so sickening.
Make killing fascists socially acceptable again.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Speaking of Nixon. He must be rolling in his grave. Decades after he got ousted the supreme court made clear that what he did was actually fully legal, and that even if Nixon had gone on to do a coup that would probably have been legal too.

So in other words Nixon lost his dream job for nothing.
Couldn't find an "I know, right?" gif that seemed to fit. Oh, you know that "I'm not a crook...by today's standards" meme of him from a few years ago? Literally the truth.

(Oh, does that mean Bill Clinton did nothing wrong?)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
(Oh, does that mean Bill Clinton did nothing wrong?)
Well, in regards to Monkia Lewinsky, I do wonder what the political landscape in America would look like if he'd just laid his nuts on the lectern and said "Yep, I asked Miss Lewinsky to suck my dick under the Resolute Desk and she was kind enough to oblige."

Of course it could have changed nothing.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well, in regards to Monkia Lewinsky, I do wonder what the political landscape in America would look like if he'd just laid his nuts on the lectern and said "Yep, I asked Miss Lewinsky to suck my dick under the Resolute Desk and she was kind enough to oblige."

Of course it could have changed nothing.
If nothing else, it genuinely would take away the grounds for impeachment.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Trump is not necessarily the man who breaks the system, but he has - and will if re-elected - play an integral role in breaking down the barriers and normalising the sort of abuses that more competent successors will exploit.
Oh, please. Acts such as those for which Trump is being held "accountable" had been fully normalized for decades, in some cases centuries. The path to this moment was found, mapped, worn, paved, painted, lighted, and convenience stops built along the way by nearly every preceding administration before. The only way in which Trump is any different, was he was less competent in performing them, less interested in hiding them, and less capable of manufacturing consent for them among the general electorate.

Name one thing Trump did even remotely comparable to Ronald Reagan. Specifically, I'd direct your attention to the bombing of Libya, invasion of Grenada, Iran-Contra, and the S&L crisis for Reagan's overt criminality. And in the "legal, but morally reprehensible" category, I'd direct your attention to the provision of chemical weapons to Saddam Hussein, unequivocal support for apartheid South Africa and Ferdinand Marcos' fascist regime, busting federal employees' unions, destroying national mental health care, and blocking funding for AIDS research in the middle of a national health crisis.

That's a single president within living memory. Don't make me break out my history books.

As I've said (and have been saying), this isn't about asserting the rule of law, preventing a Constitutional crisis, rolling back the unitary executive, preserving separation of powers, or even holding a criminal accountable. This is about getting payback for (albeit accidentally) withdrawing the veil of ignorance over the American public's eye.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This is about getting payback for (albeit accidentally) withdrawing the veil of ignorance over the American public's eye.
I don't think payback is quite right, it's more strategically feigning ignorance. Sorta like this:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Where did the "required" come from?
When you said "Not every action of a president is part of their constitutional authority", there are two ways to interpret that: actions that use powers granted by the constitution, or actions that are part of the role set out by the constitution.

I was making clear that Trump's action that saw him indicted fit the first interpretation but not the second. And ordering the Seals to deal with a political rival also fits just as well.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is so sickening.
Make killing fascists socially acceptable again.
I wonder if back in the 30's if someone said 'Man, I wish Hitler would just die' you got the response of 'Oh, you can't say that, just because you disagree with him'. There's some names that I won't name but am certainly thinking that in 50 years time we'll look back on with a resounding 'Man, I wish they had just died'.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You mean that nasty little part of the "conversation" where you said there was no precedent, and it was pointed out to you there very much was and how it might apply to this case, at which time you decided to throw a forum tantrum?
"A forum tantrum"-- that's rich, from the single most tantrum-inclined individual on the entirety of the forum. You tend to start slinging shit the moment someone disagrees with damn near anything you say.

No, I mean criminal prosecution, the subject of the ruling.

Automatically, no. Can be used as precedent and applied to the other when and where applicable? emphatically, yes.

This would be exactly how the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine, for example, found its way from criminal procedure to civil.
Of course, when nothing is objectively our undeniably set out, the SCOTUS will draw on whatever is most convenient to what they want to rule. Much like how they'll appeal to something being "historically significant" when it's useful.

And at this point, you are quite literally advocating SCOTUS single-handedly implement ex post facto law.

Should Barack Obama then be indicted for conspiracy to murder for personally greenlighting the Osama bin Laden raid? If presidential immunity no longer applies to a former president, for acts performed as or while president, Barack Obama should absolutely be indicted for conspiracy to murder Osama bin Laden.
Nice try, but that's a tremendously weak equivalence. Some actions are taken as part of a President's duties. Some are not.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of actions for which Obama (and half the other Presidents) should absolutely be indicted for, in an ideal world. But it's fun to see you argue for letting them all off the hook after condemning them for so long.

No, it has exactly fuck-all to say about a former president, because for the circumstances to involve a former president then the case itself is fucking moot. The president is no longer in office.
That's it? "The damage is already done" so no use pursuing justice? Cool, I'll be sure to try that if I ever get taken to court. I can't do exactly the same crime again, so just drop it eh, its moot.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I wonder if back in the 30's if someone said 'Man, I wish Hitler would just die' you got the response of 'Oh, you can't say that, just because you disagree with him'.
Probably not so much, they were likely more cheering him on. IIRC, it was only very late before opinion (in Allied nations) turned against him, and he had plenty of support even as the war began. And there was still plenty of hatred for the groups he got to power by using hatred of.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Pretty sure that isn't directly comparable to anything Reagan did in the US, but not perhaps in the way that Eacaraxe meant.
That's just because he's focused on body count since its easy to understand. Not the continuation of democracy, which is more complex.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I wonder if back in the 30's if someone said 'Man, I wish Hitler would just die' you got the response of 'Oh, you can't say that, just because you disagree with him'. There's some names that I won't name but am certainly thinking that in 50 years time we'll look back on with a resounding 'Man, I wish they had just died'.
1.) People tried to kill HItler a freaking amount of times, even before WWII.

2.) Replacing debate with violence on the street and all major parties ending up having their own militia (Freikorps, SA, Stahlhem, Spartakus, Reichsbanner, Eiserne Front, Antifa) did make the middle class scared and helped the NAZIs get into power.

"Letting fists and weapons speak" is always what the extreme right wants. Because their arguments are poor but they have many violent followers. That is why so many MAGA nutters phantasize about civil war.

Reactions: Bedinsis

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
When you said "Not every action of a president is part of their constitutional authority", there are two ways to interpret that: actions that use powers granted by the constitution, or actions that are part of the role set out by the constitution.

I was making clear that Trump's action that saw him indicted fit the first interpretation but not the second. And ordering the Seals to deal with a political rival also fits just as well.
Ordering the Seals to deal with a political rival does not fit just as well, as that is not something the Navy Seals are allowed to do. The President has the constitutional authority to command those beneath him in how to fulfill their particular roles. The president does not have the authority to command those beneath him to do things outside their roles. Biden can't just order the AG to do his laundry. Investigations of election fraud are within the role of the Justice Department. Assassinating US citizens is not within the role of the Navy Seals. As such, the President ordering them to do so would be outside his constitutional authority.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Its interesting that no one has brought up the fake electors scheme. Conservatives have really done a great job of letting that one fly under the radar.
This is literally an attempt to coup the government and with this supreme court ruling, it can't even be investigated.
Having electors set for both major candidates, prepared to vote depending who wins, is normal procedure in every presidential election. The fear mongering over this relies on electoral ignorance. In 1960, Hawaii had a close race, and despite losing, Kennedy's electors did the same thing these "fake electors" did, and when the election flipped on recount, their votes became the legally valid votes. If any of the races in 2020 miraculously got flipped or thrown out as a result of the many legal challenges, those "fake electors" would be the valid ones, and Biden's electors would be void. As it happened, none of them did, so those votes were legally meaningless.

Wanting to win and being prepared to try to win through every legal means is not a coup.