Phantom Blade 0 - Not Souls, More Ninja Gaiden/Metal Gear Rising Style

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
It's Souls. Can tell just by looking that you lock on with the shitty R3 toggle button*, that the cam gets locked behind the character (blinding the player), that it's another "figure out the dodge button timing or die" game** (as opposed to finding your spacing like in Streets of Rage) and that the protagonist can't jump (which FromSoftware did not dedicate a button for until Sekiro). Attacks are obviously under the finger(s) rather than the thumbs again, since you will need as much access to the camera as possible with one so close.

*Prefer Z-targeting because you actively feel when you are in that mode as you hold the button down. Strafing is just built in even when there is no target, allowing you to move defensively before you see them. I don't want to be locked into that movement by a toggle.
**Betting attacks will seek you again, making you have to dodge all the time anyway. System like Streets would be impossible because of tiresome seeking.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's Souls. Can tell just by looking that you lock on with the shitty R3 toggle button, that the cam gets locked behind the character (blinding the player), that it's another "figure out the dodge button timing or die" game* (as opposed to finding your spacing like in Streets of Rage) and that the protagonist can't jump (which FromSoftware did not dedicate a button for until Sekiro). Attacks are obviously under the finger(s) rather than the thumbs again, since you will need as much access to the camera as possible with one so close.

*Betting attacks will seek you again, making you have to dodge all the time anyway. System like Streets would be impossible because of tiresome seeking.
The only thing Souls about it is the level design. You attack with the face buttons. Blocking and parrying is L1/LB. Other than a lock on, not much else is Souls inspired. The director and Max has pointed out that Ninja Gaiden is this game's biggest inspiration. It shows.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So this is a different game than Black Myth: Wo Long Fallen Stellar Blade?

Sorry, pardon the snark, I can't help myself.

Snark aside the 4th video was interesting and informative, u/BrawlMan.
Personally all of these games are just going in the mental pile of "I'll play them in 3-5 years when they're offered on PS+" but there's clearly a big market for this stuff.

Re: the "soulslike"- to me the thing that means soulslike is the whole thing about respawning enemies at checkpoint, big boss fights, and losing currencty when you die once and permanently twice. Sure terms are wishy-washy but for me personally that is what gives that term any value. It's that feeling that dying is both common but actually impactful.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This one gives me more Nioh vibes than anything else, like chinese nioh. Which actually is a game too, made by the Nioh people. Wo Long.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Snark aside the 4th video was interesting and informative, u/BrawlMan.
Personally all of these games are just going in the mental pile of "I'll play them in 3-5 years when they're offered on PS+" but there's clearly a big market for this stuff.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm glad Simmons/YoVideoGames input was helpful to you. This will be a day once by for me when it comes out next year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This one gives me more Nioh vibes than anything else, like chinese nioh. Which actually is a game too, made by the Nioh people. Wo Long.
Just a heads up: this game is going to be more of a 3D metroidvania/Dark Souls 1 level design structure. Simmons mentions it in his video. So it won't be level based like Nioh.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Just a heads up: this game is going to be more of a 3D metroidvania/Dark Souls 1 level design structure. Simmons mentions it in his video. So itwon't be level based like Nioh.

Ahh, interesting. I was thinking more about the gameplay than the level design when I described it being like Nioh, but that's good to know. Well either way, if the combat is fun I'm fine with any sort of level design.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Nioh is Souls too. Same crummy R3 lock-on that looks more at the ground the closer you go, same bloated HP for enemies and little HP for you (making you seek windows for estus flask equivalent), attacks changing direction mid-swing (forcing dodge), stamina, another run button instead of dedicated jump (because they can't remember action games before the sprinting in Demon's Souls). Can they jump at all? Same distracting, weird online features that are complicated to opt out of, same lack of easy pause even when alone.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Nioh is Souls too.
It has a lot of the same dna but the combat system is a lot more complex with things like stances and a bunch of different moves and whatnot. Like it has the monster hunter basics that eventually souls also adopted with the stamina meter and the health drinks and having to learn patterns and roll or parry stuff right, but what it does with it is unique enough. And this game seems to also have an expanded movelist with a bunch of different moves.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America