Black Myth: Wukong gameplay; I don't get the hype?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I think that viewpoint is rather silly and reductionist, but I can at least respect the consistency.
Have to reiterate, though, because I might not have said it clearly enough, dodging is really overdone now, reducing the importance of the foot movement that's supposed to be so vital in martial arts and that makes fights feel so active. Not much point in finding your spacing and the best position when the button needs to be used to invincibility frame through the attacks anyway.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Have to reiterate, though, because I might not have said it clearly enough, dodging is really overdone now, reducing the importance of the foot movement that's supposed to be so vital in martial arts and that makes fights feel so active. Not much point in finding your spacing and the best position when the button needs to be used to invincibility frame through the attacks anyway.
Most of Dark Souls can be beaten without dodging or blocking. If you want to play the games just using spacing and footwork you can.

Here's a video of a guy beating Dark Eater Midir (an optional end game DLC boss in Dark Souls 3) with his character at level 1, without taking any hits, without dodge rolling, blocking, or even sprinting. Just using proper timing and positioning.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I'm not watching that, because I don't want to know FromSoftware's games anymore, but it became harder and harder as they went on and enemies became more ferocious/spastic to not use the dodge button, whose timing became more confusing with the delays. You can say that, but almost everyone relies pretty heavily on dodge now for a reason.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm not watching that, because I don't want to know FromSoftware's games anymore, but it became harder and harder as they went on and enemies became more ferocious/spastic to not use the dodge button, whose timing became more confusing with the delays. You can say that, but almost everyone relies pretty heavily on dodge now for a reason.
"La la la la I can't hear you! I have opinions and I refuse to reexamine them because then I wouldn't be able to be upset all the time."

To be fair to you, I don't think it's possible to beat Elden Ring, Bloodborne, or Sekiro without sprinting, blocking, or dodging.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I finally cleared chapter 3. Man that was a long one. I gotta say, I really love those animated shorts they wrap each chapter with. It's one of those touches that shows they went the extra mile. Like a Jrpg with an anime intro or something lol.

Also the final chapter boss was an asshole, and in a brand new original way too. He does damaging phase transitioning cutscenes, where you take a good 40% or so of unavoidable damage every time you get his health down by a third. At least you can't die from it, but still it's fucked XD.

Also whoever coined the term "boss rush" for this game clearly did not actually play through it all the way. Last 2 chapters have been full of exploration and finding secrets.

Most of Dark Souls can be beaten without dodging or blocking. If you want to play the games just using spacing and footwork you can.

Here's a video of a guy beating Dark Eater Midir (an optional end game DLC boss in Dark Souls 3) with his character at level 1, without taking any hits, without dodge rolling, blocking, or even sprinting. Just using proper timing and positioning.

I do this too but this is much more elegant, my approach is more like a "hit em harder than they hit you" strength build where you just charge your heavy attack in their face and stagger em in 2 hits lol. But hey, it works!

Apparently it's a joke about invisible walls in Wukong (which I haven't played).
Wukong is great about telling you what terrain is traversible most of the time. And only the first chapter is really that linear. Both chapters 2 and 3 are huge wide open areas with some narrower bits here and there. You just kinda get used to it after you play a bit and don't really notice it much cause you can just tell where you can and can't go. And usually if you can drop down or go up some odd spot they will put something interactable there to let you know to try to find a way over. I think the invisible walls stand out more to people used to playing only open world games but coming in with wider experience helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
"La la la la I can't hear you! I have opinions and I refuse to reexamine them because then I wouldn't be able to be upset all the time."

To be fair to you, I don't think it's possible to beat Elden Ring, Bloodborne, or Sekiro without sprinting, blocking, or dodging.
Maybe not all three, all the time, but there are some examples which emphasize positioning is still a thing -

Not that this is how the games’ design expects the player to play, but the door is still open for it (even if it’s more hidden now after half a dozen games, unsurprisingly). In Sekiro’s case the deflect mechanic is such an integral part of the combat that we might as well posit that it’s not possible to beat the game without using your sword.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
It's prolly easier to beat sekiro without attacking than without parrying lol. Though both are likely impossible.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I've called him out on this attitude years ago. It's why his DMC5 hot takes ain't worth shit.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am glad Destin called out the bullshit on Twitter and how it is not actual reality. The only I disagree with him on his how he said with games like BG3, "I don't feel like I am being pandered to". BG3 is pandering, but it remembers to be a good game first. All products panders to people or specific groups of people. That is life. It's just a matter of how obvious it is to certain people or not. Or if media is being pandered to audiences the core audience don't like. Streets of Rage 4 pandered to fans of the franchise, new audiences, and those not afraid of multiculturalism. DotEmu, Guard Crush, and Lizard Cube made to sure make a great game with a revamped art style to stand out from the pack. It worked several times over.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I am glad Destin called out the bullshit on Twitter and how it is not actual reality. The only I disagree with him on his how he said with games like BG3, "I don't feel like I am being pandered to". BG3 is pandering, but it remembers to be make a good game first. All products panders to people or specific groups of people. That is life. It's just a matter of how obvious it is to certain people or not. Or if they're being pandered to audience they don't like Streets of Rage 4 pandered to fans of the franchise, new audiences, and those not afraid of multiculturalism. DotEmu, Guard Crush, and Lizard Cube made to sure make a great game with a revamped art style and stand out from the pack. It worked several times over.
While that may be true, his point seemed to just be that it simply didn’t feel like it, whereas in most AAA games it now does and often just to make extra $.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I think there's a difference between conniving pandering done to manipulate, and just having an identity. I think BG3 panders to the people who made BG3, their tastes and the things they love in games and role playing and so on, you can see it oozing that love from every pore. It wasn't trying to artificially contain those traits to trick people into playing it when it normally doesn't deserve their attention.

So at the end of the day what we really want is integrity and authenticity. If you like certain things then adding em to your game is great but just doing so to fill a checklist so you can virtue signal just comes off as fake and manipulative.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While that may be true, his point seemed to just be that it simply didn’t feel like it, whereas in most AAA games it now does and often just to make extra $.
Like I said before I get it, but again, a game or product's gonna pander to you in some kind of way regardless, if you like it or notice it or not. Like I already mentioned: it's a matter of is it more obvious it or does it feel false?

So at the end of the day what we really want is integrity and authenticity
Which is why so many people will have flinging towards AA and indie games in the first place. That is something most AAA games are lacking, or trying some way nicke and dime customers in the most shallow way possible. Then blame it on the customers like it's their fault.

Another note everyone should know is that the CEO of Game Science is a developer and gamer, not an investment banker. He and his team remembers to make an actual game and not some second job time sink everyone forces themselves to play.