US 2024 Presidential Election

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
JD Vance, who shared an openly-admitted lie about Hatians eating family pets that's causing bomb threats in Springfield, Ohio, is blaming Democrats for the assassination attempt on Trump, saying "the left needs to tone down the rhetoric and needs to cut this crap out".

He also claimed that Democrats calling Trump a "fascist" is promoting political violence, apparently forgetting that Trump calls Harris a fascist as well.

Vance doesn't need a mirror to shave; he's so two-faced that he can just see where the razor is.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Reporting in with the latest DJT media movements. Shown here Friday 2pm a buying frenzy occured because Trump made that announcement atating he believed in and vows not to sell the stock

Screenshot_20240917-173817.png

As excitement died down over the weekend DJTM drifted back down to $16.

Then something.... interesting happened.

Screenshot_20240917-173728.png

Right at the exchange close his plummets. 15:25 EST 9/17

Ill be frank, I got nothing this time. Ive been scouring the news the last hour, but nothing interesting has happened... wait no found it.

Trump Media breached an agreement with one of the investors that helped the company go public, and must grant the investor a larger share of its stock, a judge ruled.

The order in Delaware Chancery Court on Monday came just three days before the investor, ARC Global, and other insiders — including majority-owner Donald Trump — will be free to start selling their shares in the company behind Truth Social.

If those insiders opt to cash out their stakes, they could be in line for a major pay day. But they could also tank investor confidence and drive down Trump Media's value, which has already fallen by billions.

Its crazy how violently a news story can shift stock. Ill need to research Im not quite sure what the implication here in the technical sense. I think the fallout here is that Trump being forced to grant free owed stock means the per share value will split significantly.

Last edited:

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I am In Seattle, WA.

And given how insanely toxic the political opinions are here, and how much people seem to hate Republicans, I really am unsure if my vote will matter
Quite likely not.

However, in some small way it can matter because you have (literally and figuratively), been counted. You contribute to making a statement. Sure, your guy got elected or didn't get elected and your vote in isolation made no difference, but there will forever be a total number sitting somewhere on record which your vote was part of.

There are all sorts of message it can help send. If you vote for a minor party, it's often worth it because it lets the world know people are voting for it, and maybe that will inspire others. Narrowing or widening the margin of victory sends out a message. Maybe, because it can happen in many systems (including the USA), the winner lost the popular vote: leaving that little sting in the tail for eternal posterity might be a worthwhile consolation prize.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I am In Seattle, WA.

And given how insanely toxic the political opinions are here, and how much people seem to hate Republicans, I really am unsure if my vote will matter

Presidential no your vote won't matter. *by that I mean the presidential race is comfortability democrat atm. You can always "send a message", by voting third party.

However, Presidential elections are only part of the equation. Youre also voting state & local government and judicial appointments. These can often have universal consequences. Its important to take the time to research.

More compelling is that you do not live in one the colonies. In the original eastern states ballot measures for laws can only be proposed by representatives (*corruption*cough*), however in Washington state citizen ballots can be initiated.

It's worth your time to research the candidates, ballot measures and judges up for election or renewel. Id have to research Washington but I believe most judges have whats called a peer review you can read online that basically tells you their service record and you can vote to keep them or fire them.

Trust me that shit matters, some judges turn out to be real monsters. Theres a few that made the news this year for corruption or just plain evil verdicts.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I am In Seattle, WA.

Your vote always matters.

Even if your candidate loses, the more votes they get, the higher the chance they run again in another cycle.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Propose a way to actually forest the Sahara and we'll talk. Otherwise...
You're going to have to get water in there.

If the Panama Canal could be built over 100 years ago, imagine what we could do now if we wanted to do so.

And nutrients. Maybe make it the world's biggest landfill? All that rotting trash.

I hear it's actually grass that per acre does a better job for the environment than does an acre of trees. We should get busy.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Okay, definitely going to vote. Feel free to correct me, but the TL;DR of the two major candidates are:

Trump wants to do the same shit all over again, or even go the extra mile

And Harris want to continue whatever Biden has been doing?

I wonder if any one of them would do something about Student Loan Forgiveness, which I know won’t happen but still would be nice to have

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

If the Panama Canal could be built over 100 years ago, imagine what we could do now if we wanted to do so.

And nutrients. Maybe make it the world's biggest landfill? All that rotting trash.

I hear it's actually grass that per acre does a better job for the environment than does an acre of trees. We should get busy.
Because digging a canal that's 50 miles long is somehow comparable to essentially terraforming an area of the planet the size of the entire continental United States (3.5 million square miles)? That's how big the Sahara is. That's what you're proposing with absolutely no knowledge or expertise on what that would take.

Fucking delusional.

You might as well say that the solution to global warming is for all of us to move to Mars, or maybe putting jet engines on the planet Earth to move it further away from the sun.

And of course if doing any of this costs any money and causes an increase in taxes you'll complain about it.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016

You can't use seawater, freshwater is not available, so it is not primarily about building canals.

But you know that already. It is just some nonsense fantasy solution to move the discussion away from the problem and actual available measures.

The use of fossil fuels has to be stopped. We can't really compensate it. If we could, we wouldn't have the discussion because other energy sources would be cheaper anyway.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

"Let's engage in an absolutely impossible project that would be ridiculously expensive rather than me have to change my lifestyle in a meaningful way."

You're definitely a Republican.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay, definitely going to vote. Feel free to correct me, but the TL;DR of the two major candidates are:

Trump wants to do the same shit all over again, or even go the extra mile

And Harris want to continue whatever Biden has been doing?

I wonder if any one of them would do something about Student Loan Forgiveness, which I know won’t happen but still would be nice to have
Harris cares less about unions and more about policing than Biden

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To both below:

You can't use seawater, freshwater is not available, so it is not primarily about building canals.

But you know that already. It is just some nonsense fantasy solution to move the discussion away from the problem and actual available measures.

The use of fossil fuels has to be stopped. We can't really compensate it. If we could, we wouldn't have the discussion because other energy sources would be cheaper anyway.
"Let's engage in an absolutely impossible project that would be ridiculously expensive rather than me have to change my lifestyle in a meaningful way."

You're definitely a Republican.
You can use sea water. Israel, for instance, has been particularly successful at using it to grow citrus fruit. MIT is working on new and improved ways to do so all the time. And more.

I submit, most of the "just live with a cork rammed up your a$$" plans of the climate hysterics will not make the world a better place. Just dirtier, poorer but much more controlled.

ITMT: Reviewing to see if any more debates upcoming. I hear she challenged him to another. Some don't want Trump to do another debate, others want 2 more.

EDIT: So far, 10/1/ VP debate. That should be fun!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I see no particular reason to call Harris insane and incompetent. Dishonest? Well, not obviously more than most politicians, and few politicians are anywhere near the level of Trump.

Unless someone has been president, you'll never really know whether they can do it well. However, judging by her previous career, there's no particular reason to think Harris isn't up to the job: she's ticked a lot of the right boxes for people who become president.

Trump has in effect already demonstrated he's a poor president. You just need to look at all the major policy he promised and failed to deliver 2017-2020. Wall not built (and other major immigration policies failed or incomplete). The ACA not repealed. His economic record fell woefully short of promises. His economic war against China was ineffectual. His foreign policy achieved little (like that transient North Korea love-in). He seems to have been genuinely terrible at negotiating with Congress: one of the major accomplishments (tax cuts) was passed in large part just because the party would do that anyway.

The US national covid-19 response was scandalously poor. No matter where you stood on policy (restrictions or otherwise), Trump's administration was chaotic, disorganised, incoherent, inconsistent; at war with its own government agencies and many states. Trump himself appears to have been more bothered about his TV ratings than his countrymen dying, awarding himself long and rambling appearances which he often spent raging at the media and other injustices he felt.
Still though, most of those observing the shit show that is American politics from the outside could reasonably surmise the Covid outbreak capped off a series of increasingly obtuse hurdles throughout Trump’s term and had some undeniably questionable shit - let alone convenient timing surrounding it - that will forever be either buried or denied to the death for obvious reasons.

This is what happens when a political outsider surprisingly wins an election the Washington elite weren’t prepared for and doesn’t toe the line set by the establishment.
The survival of a political party and their agenda depends on the control of information and public perception, so when something doesn’t fit the narrative the elite have put forth, just deny, deceive, discredit, demonize, discourage, or when all else fails ultimately destroy anyone who dares question it. Trump’s the prime example here of course, being the ass pimple that just can’t be popped, and media coverage reflects that. Considering that’s where most people get their “news”, go figure.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
You can use sea water. Israel, for instance, has been particularly successful at using it to grow citrus fruit. MIT is working on new and improved ways to do so all the time. And more.
You can't.

Coastal countries all over the world try to use sea water. It is not a new idea. It is difficult, expensive, not easy to use at scale. It also takes energy. Using it for the whole Sahara is requires far more ressources than the GDP of the whole world. It would be significantly more costly than getting rid off fossils.

Currentry the Saudis actually "plan" to rely on it for their utterly ridiculous Neom project. And you can see in real time how that is turning out. Just a bunch of wishful thinking does not make unrealistic fantasies possible, even if you throwa couple of billions at it. Including large scale water supply from the sea.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You can't.

Coastal countries all over the world try to use sea water. It is not a new idea. It is difficult, expensive, not easy to use at scale. It also takes energy. Using it for the whole Sahara is requires far more ressources than the GDP of the whole world. It would be significantly more costly than getting rid off fossils.

Currentry the Saudis actually "plan" to rely on it for their utterly ridiculous Neom project. And you can see in real time how that is turning out. Just a bunch of wishful thinking does not make unrealistic fantasies possible, even if you throwa couple of billions at it. Including large scale water supply from the sea.
It can require man made energy. But if you dump a few 100 billion gallons of salt water into the Sahara, it will evaporate, form clouds and come back down as mostly drinkable fresh rain. I'd think this process will form large salt deposits which can be mined and shipped, even for commercial use. Easy peasey. You just need the will to get it all done.

Or, metaphorically speaking, ram a cork up your butt forever.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Easy peasey. You just need the will to get it all done.
It's fucking hilarious when some Internet commentator with absolutely zero relevant expertise confidently insists that such absurdly gigantic projects are "easy".

Personally, I don't know why we don't just hire elemental sprites to work for us in terraforming the moon. Why haven't scientists tried this? Are they stupid?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America