US 2024 Presidential Election

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Look, I'm cynical as fuck about politicians and lies, but there has to be consequences at some point, right?

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Getting there will be the problem. And I don't want to shut OPEC out. Just that they have to be in the oil business, rather than the oil shortage business. That can be a tall order.
I think by "tall order", you mean impossible: OPEC has zero interest in making sure everyone gets oil cheap, and no-one's going to force them.

OPEC countries are focused on maximising revenues so that they can a) pay off internal dissent, b) pay off other countries, and possibly most important c) diversify by investing huge sums of money in other industries and economies so that when the oil runs out they have something. After all, that massive desert doesn't produce much else they can make money off.

Outside a few producers, fossil fuels are a energy security shitshow. It's embracing massive risks of economic disruption and external interference by foreign powers (just take a look at how much trouble Russia caused some European countries with gas supplies). The sooner the West moves on from them the better: no-one's going to switch off the sun and wind.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I think by "tall order", you mean impossible: OPEC has zero interest in making sure everyone gets oil cheap, and no-one's going to force them.
Indeed. While i hate the OPEC for lobbying for fossils o keep up demand, i kinda like the artificially inflated prices and the volatility they casue. Both make some people consider alternatives.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

Shares of Trump Media fell at the opening bell Thursday, with just hours to go until former President Donald Trump is expected to be able to start selling his nearly $2 billion stake.

The company, which owns social media platform Truth Social and trades as DJT on the Nasdaq, was down 5% at the market open.

Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, owns nearly 57% of DJT’s outstanding shares. That stake at Thursday morning’s price was worth about $1.7 billion — almost half of Trump’s estimated on-paper net worth.

But Trump, and other early investors, have been barred from selling their shares under a lockup agreement that took effect when the company went public following a merger with a blank-check firm in late March.

Those restrictions are set to expire as soon as Thursday afternoon. Trump Media has acknowledged in regulatory filings that the end of the lockup could spur large sales of the company’s stock, and even the market’s perception of a sell-off could drive down DJT’s stock price.

Trump, the majority shareholder, said Friday that he has no plans to sell his stake. But other company insiders might try to cash in as soon as they get a chance to do so.

The company’s fortunes are tied up with those of Trump, whose use of Truth Social makes him a main draw to the platform.

After soaring in its public trading debut, Trump Media has suffered a monthlong stock slump that has coincided with Trump’s tumultuous presidential campaign against Democratic nominee Kamala Harris.
Shareholder lock up ends today, Trump is about to be 1 billion dollars poorer.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

OPEC countries are focused on maximising revenues so that they can a) pay off internal dissent, b) pay off other countries, and possibly most important c) diversify by investing huge sums of money in other industries and economies so that when the oil runs out they have something. After all, that massive desert doesn't produce much else they can make money off.

Outside a few producers, fossil fuels are a energy security shitshow. It's embracing massive risks of economic disruption and external interference by foreign powers (just take a look at how much trouble Russia caused some European countries with gas supplies). The sooner the West moves on from them the better: no-one's going to switch off the sun and wind.
We saw winter storms in Texas do untold damage to wind mills that the rich are all NIMBY about to begin with. Hale storms destroying entire solar panel fields.

As for what is, I'm sure our cork up the butt energy policies are aiding China that keeps adding to its coal burning plants. Over 3,000 of them so far.

Vivek Ramaswamy warns what this really is all about is globalists giving China the opportunity to catch up to the west at the west's expense.

ITMT: sadly, capitalism is about profits. Limiting supply minus competition = higher profits. Keeping competition in place is a must. Ensure OPEC knows it is not the only game in town.