US 2024 Presidential Election

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In the most politically lopsided area of the state, they opened like a dozen extra offices, allowed people to register, receive ballots, fill them out, sign, seal, and return them in person all at once. Activist groups provided transportation to targeted demographics to these locations and they paid local restaurants to give people free meals on site. Pretty much went "Hey, you look like a Democratic voter. Hop on in, if you vote we'll give you a free Pat's cheesesteak, you don't even need to be registered, we can do that there."
I repeat: "2020 already showed to us that many people will splatter their uninformed and frankly wrong claims of misconduct all over social media"

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Hmmm, but what you were complaining about above weren't lawbreaking measures, were they? Providing transportation, opening additional offices, etc. Your issue is that these things made it easier for people to vote in areas you don't want to be voting.
Yes, yes they were. The election laws say absentee ballots can be attained or submitted through mail or at the county elections office. They made up the idea of satellite offices for this election. Giving people things to get them to vote, like free meals, is a violation of federal election laws. They broke a bunch of laws.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I repeat: "2020 already showed to us that many people will splatter their uninformed and frankly wrong claims of misconduct all over social media"
It's a shame that you throw your dignity away like this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Idiot preppers.
Well, there's a certain absurdity that clings to preppers, but certain preparations seem less and less absurd as time goes on. I mean, there was an attempted rightwing coup in the US last election, but people went back to normal afterwards.

I've got to write, I'd never heard that view of what happened to the Roman Empire. The "they wouldn't stop killing each other" was a symptom of deep corruption. Can a state with scant resources afford to be so corrupt?
Yes. People will fight over resources (amongst other things). Whether, to outsiders, the amount of resources are great or small, doesn't really matter.

My mom used to tell me that Nazi Germany had an excess of nationalism. I wonder if France, having a good time, suffered from a lack of it and never bothered to finish their Maginot line.
France wasn't having a good time, it hadn't fully recovered from WW1 and the Depression, and was worried about the military deciding on a fascist coup. Given that it bordered both Spain and Germany, it could see others going that way and had reason to worry.

The Maginot line wasn't complete due to political issues with Belgium (and also the false belief that rugged terrain in areas made it unnecessary).

Additionally, Germany through all its resources and economy into preparations for war, and, had it not conquered other territories and taken their resources, would have fallen apart because that was totally unsustainable. It was conquer Europe or bust. France (and the UK) weren't going to try that. As an aside, Germany got very lucky to take France as easily as it did, if a few things had gone differently, the outcome might have been very different.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, there's a certain absurdity that clings to preppers, but certain preparations seem less and less absurd as time goes on. I mean, there was an attempted rightwing coup in the US last election, but people went back to normal afterwards.
They're waiting/wanting/expecting for a second civil war, if things don't go their pathetic fucking way. Fuck them. Some preparations? Yes, and understandable, but it's your usual doomsdayer ass hats who waste money and don't get their ultimate war/apocalypse scenario. Needing to feel validated or justifying their dumb ass choices.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
They're waiting/wanting/expecting for a second civil war, if things don't go their pathetic fucking way. Fuck them. Some preparations? Yes, and understandable, but it's your usual doomsdayer ass hats who waste money and don't get their ultimate war/apocalypse scenario. Needing to feel validated or justifying their dumb ass choices.
Those ones, sure, the ones that think they'll lead the glorious revolution, or the ones that can't stop social change but think that can stop the Black Helicopters of the UN.

But preppers cover a lot of people, there's a spectrum. Expecting a catastrophic failure of society in the US doesn't sound so far-fetched. For me, the big difference is whether they are learning first aid and how to purify water and the like, or if they've just got a bunch of guns they've painted black to look cool.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
if they've just got a bunch of guns they've painted black to look cool.
That's the problem with most of the 'preppers' in Michigan especially. They want a war, yet expect someone else to be healers (meat shields) or couldn't give a damn about the state of world, so long as they're "in charge" or doing all the fighting/killing.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's the problem with most of the 'preppers' in Michigan especially. They want a war, yet expect someone else to be healers (meat shields) or couldn't give a damn about the state of world, so long as they're "in charge" or doing all the fighting/killing.
And I bet they had hissy fits when they had to wear masks to avoid spreading covid, cause that was too much of an inconvenience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I bet they had hissy fits when they had to wear masks to avoid spreading covid, cause that was too much of an inconvenience.
Yep, and if they caused any trouble, then that property's security or employees would kick them out/demanded them to leave. Most actually left with their dignity intact. I use dignity loosely, of course.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, yes they were. The election laws say absentee ballots can be attained or submitted through mail or at the county elections office. They made up the idea of satellite offices for this election. Giving people things to get them to vote, like free meals, is a violation of federal election laws. They broke a bunch of laws.
Neither satellite offices nor 'Fuel the Vote' broke any law. I mean, the very idea that the state doesn't have the right to designate places where ballots can be handed in is just transparently ludicrous.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
But preppers cover a lot of people, there's a spectrum. Expecting a catastrophic failure of society in the US doesn't sound so far-fetched. For me, the big difference is whether they are learning first aid and how to purify water and the like, or if they've just got a bunch of guns they've painted black to look cool.
There's definitely a spectrum, and there's a lot of people who are "prepared" for things like natural disasters or temporary situations with a lax rule of law, who would not consider themselves "preppers." It's pretty reasonable and even prudent to have 2 weeks worth of food and water in your house at all times, a way to cook without electricity, along with maybe a shotgun and some ammo for it. I don't think that there is likely to be a catastrophic failure of society in the US anytime soon, but natural disasters do bring out the worst in people.

There's also many actually serious preppers who are learning first aid, gathering water purification supplies and long lasting food stores, seeds, etc. along with their firearms to keep their provisions safe. The ones who are just buying up guns and ammo think that they don't need to learn how to do anything because they'll just use their guns to take from others. They're preparing to be the roving marauders, the villains in the post apocalypse movie playing in their heads.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Neither satellite offices nor 'Fuel the Vote' broke any law. I mean, the very idea that the state doesn't have the right to designate places where ballots can be handed in is just transparently ludicrous.
The state does have that right. They wrote laws designating where ballots can be handed in. Those are not the places that were designated.

This article is about how it's technically illegal to even have election day freebies. Coordinating restaurants to give out free food at the polls themselves is a step so much further than that. You cannot offer people free stuff for voting, it's against the law.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's a shame that you throw your dignity away like this.
I assume you don't really have a case here, otherwise you'd be giving us the legal ruling of massive illegality rather than strange little nibbles around the edge implying illegality.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I assume you don't really have a case here, otherwise you'd be giving us the legal ruling of massive illegality rather than strange little nibbles around the edge implying illegality.
I can find you the law that states explicitly where ballots can be dropped. But you probably already know they were sued, and the partisan state court on exact party lines declared they were allowed to do that in contradiction to the law as written after it was too late for any other counties to do the same thing.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The state does have that right. They wrote laws designating where ballots can be handed in. Those are not the places that were designated.
For some reason I'm unable to open the PA legis site on my browser-- can you provide the text of the law broken here? ((N.B., I don't want a law saying where ballots can be dropped, I want a law saying it's illegal for it to be done anywhere else)).

This article is about how it's technically illegal to even have election day freebies. Coordinating restaurants to give out free food at the polls themselves is a step so much further than that. You cannot offer people free stuff for voting, it's against the law.
Right, illegal to offer direct incentives/rewards for voting. But Fuel the Vote didn't actually do that-- it coordinated vendors to open nearby to the offices. Which isn't transactional, doesn't require a vote.

Interestingly, even in that article you linked, the only example of someone offering food on a transactional basis for voting for a particular candidate in PA was doing so in support of Trump. And then we have the Republican-controlled county refusing to inform voters if their ballots were rejected-- which, unlike anything you've cited, is designed to depress the vote.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I can find you the law that states explicitly where ballots can be dropped. But you probably already know they were sued, and the partisan state court on exact party lines declared they were allowed to do that in contradiction to the law as written after it was too late for any other counties to do the same thing.
You probably don't want to get to het up about this otherwise your hair dye might start dripping down your face.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
For some reason I'm unable to open the PA legis site on my browser-- can you provide the text of the law broken here? ((N.B., I don't want a law saying where ballots can be dropped, I want a law saying it's illegal for it to be done anywhere else)).
Of, so the law saying they must be returned by mail or in person to the county board of elections, and the one saying it has to be at the office by a certain time, and the one saying it's illegal to transport it there by means other than the post office or in person are insufficient for you. It needs to declare explicitly that this specific practice is against the law?

That is the dumbest thing you've ever argued.

Right, illegal to offer direct incentives/rewards for voting. But Fuel the Vote didn't actually do that-- it coordinated vendors to open nearby to the offices. Which isn't transactional, doesn't require a vote.
What is the name of the program you said there?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You probably don't want to get to het up about this otherwise your hair dye might start dripping down your face.
Projection is an ugly thing. You think I mock you when I have no argument because that is what you do.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Of, so the law saying they must be returned by mail or in person to the county board of elections, and the one saying it has to be at the office by a certain time, and the one saying it's illegal to transport it there by means other than the post office or in person are insufficient for you. It needs to declare explicitly that this specific practice is against the law?
No, pay attention to what's being asked. I haven't seen anything saying it "must be returned by mail or in person to the county board of elections", or it's "illegal to transport it there by other means". I'm not necessarily saying no law says those things-- I cannot access the official site to check.

I just openly and quite politely asked you to provide it since I can't get it myself. I'm unsurprised that your first response is condescending dismissiveness and a misrepresentation of what I asked, but I'd still just like to see it please.

What is the name of the program you said there?
"Fuel the Vote". Which doesn't require one to have voted. Encouragement is not a direct incentive, else giving people the day off or transportation would be illegal-- and yet both are explicitly allowed.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Projection is an ugly thing. You think I mock you when I have no argument because that is what you do.
I was talking about the risks of zealous partisan activists inserting themselves into the election machinery. To which you wanted me to address a tangential issue of election observers in Philadelphia in 2020. This might be important to you, but you need to give others a reason for it to be important to them. The oblique approach you chose did not instill confidence there was much point there.

Basically, if you serve up a nothingburger, don't complain when someone tells you it's unsatisfying.