The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Not really. Get some rest; ya drunk.
I took those screenshots three years ago. Maybe if I sober up for three more years they'll look almost the same. Wait, what?

"They took a perfectly fine 35mm restoration then de-grained it, smeared it, then added a ton of grain back to hide it. It’s weird, it has the most grain of any of the BDs, yet the least amount of detail. In addition, they forced it to 1080p 23.976 fps instead of leaving it in 1080i like it should be, owing to the fact that Bebop is VFR (variable frame rate), so to force a progressive image is to loose frames, specifically in the CG cuts. Episodes with 60i (and not just 30i) include 6, 17, 19, 20, and 23."

Oh, looks like the French Dybex Blu-ray is better too, in terms of grain retention and therefore detail.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I took those screenshots three years ago. Maybe if I sober up for three more years they'll look almost the same.
We can only hope. Alcohol affects everybody differently.

I'm willing to admit you may be right, but I still watch Youtube at 480p for the most part so I really don't care either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samurai Blue: After Image is a cool short film I just watched. Props to the animators for getting this out there.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Looks like we're getting a new Cyberpunk 2077 anime boys and girls. I'd share the teaser, but it really is just an announcement.

Wonder if this means CDPR will add more DLC. Surely some small item or quest...

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Twilight of the G-ds Netflix

Super bloody story of ancient Norse g-ds and one very pissed off human sized descendant of giants, Sigrid, voiced by Sylvia Hoeks.

It sets up a fantastic story arc but chokes at the end of its 8 episode run in a way that makes me think there is supposed to be a 2nd season. which, IMHO, undermines the story and character arc we already got.

Ton of nudity and one scene that is NC17 in its subject and execution... but its art direction is somewhere around "Samurai Jack" level. Akin to getting excited if they did a claymation adult film in the style of Davy and Goliath. But it serves the story and tone. Ancient Celtic states were probably a lot different with different mores than we're used to today.

And since Zack Snyder is involved, you even have some slow motion! In a cartoon! B+

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saw Twilight of the Gods a few nights ago. I actually enjoyed it and the show is Snyder's best non-superhero work. I do feel the end was rushed to set up a second season. The show should've been a one-off, because where do you go after all that.

Uzumaki has anime adaption on HBO MAX. I am in. I read the story once back when I was 18, but barely remember anything, so it'll be like new again for me. The entire thing is in black and white; I did not expect this, but welcome it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piscian

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Rewatched all of Frieren Season 1, only for Season 2 to be announced right when I finished. Excellent.

Anyway, now that I've rewatched on a binge instead of on a weekly release, man the exam arc drags so much more than I remembered. It feels like it took half the entire season, when in reality it's maybe 1/5. Definitely see why some people dropped off.

That said, goddamn I love this show. The animation, the sound track, the sexy sakuga, the voice acting. Perfection. I really hope Season 2 is able to meet the high standard the first set.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Decided to watch Batman Caped Crusader.

The first episode was quite fun, but the second about Clayface was just fucken dumb.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Rewatched all of Frieren Season 1, only for Season 2 to be announced right when I finished. Excellent.

Anyway, now that I've rewatched on a binge instead of on a weekly release, man the exam arc drags so much more than I remembered. It feels like it took half the entire season, when in reality it's maybe 1/5. Definitely see why some people dropped off.

That said, goddamn I love this show. The animation, the sound track, the sexy sakuga, the voice acting. Perfection. I really hope Season 2 is able to meet the high standard the first set.
This ones on my most liked spotify list

Ive been on a little bit if an anime kick recently. Im not sure if its just me but conventional media just seems to be in a weird lull, like The penguin feels like the only interesting thing thats come out recently. I think the onslaught of "Streaming content" has worn me out. Its a strange irony to go back to anime which is generally known for regurgitated genre plays, but I still manage to find some diamonds in the rough.

I just watched

josee the tiger and the fish, its actually an anime retelling of an older story. Its about an deepsea diving student who becomes a caretaker of a paraplegic. The usual laughs and tears 10/10. For some reason the trailers subtitled but the movies dub/sub

I also finished Kaguya: Love is war. This one was a strange watch. Its ostensibly one of those highschool goofball comedies about two students trying to trick each other into being the first to admit their feelings for the other. I really avoided this one for a couple years because this things tend to dragged painfully until the author runs out of ideas and it gets cancelled. I had been watching it in increments as not to burn myself out in the gimmick, when all the sudden the series took a turn and got all serious and dealt with some very realistic trauma stuff. It could be that the author ran out if ideas but its done very organically.

The series ends with only 2 1/2 seasons, not quite abruptly. Everything gets resolved but I gotta say the last 5-6 episodes gets into some weird envangelion territory where the protagonist has kind of a mental breakdown and it gets into some uncomfortable topics. good stuff though 9/10.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ive been on a little bit if an anime kick recently. Im not sure if its just me but conventional media just seems to be in a weird lull, like The penguin feels like the only interesting thing thats come out recently. I think the onslaught of "Streaming content" has worn me out. Its a strange irony to go back to anime which is generally known for regurgitated genre plays, but I still manage to find some diamonds in the rough.
Nah that's how I feel as well, my anime "kick" has lasted like two years now. I haven't watched a live action show that I genuinely enjoyed in a really long time, whereas anime has me generally satisfied. I think a big part of it is the writing. Anime is largely based on mangas that have already been written. If a manga was good enough to get an anime, you'd usually expect the writing to be at least decent.
I also finished Kaguya: Love is war.

The series ends with only 2 1/2 seasons, not quite abruptly. Everything gets resolved but I gotta say the last 5-6 episodes gets into some weird envangelion territory where the protagonist has kind of a mental breakdown and it gets into some uncomfortable topics. good stuff though 9/10.
Aren't there 4 seasons? Well, two full seasons, a third mini season, and a fourth season that is a movie that was cut up into a bunch of episodes. Although that ending you described sounds more like 4th season so I assume you did watch it.

Anyway, I knew that the series hasn't actually finished adapting the manga, but apparently the anime has only adapted half of the manga chapters so far. Seems like season 5 has yet to be announced. Would be a shame if they just never finished the adaptation, it was my impression that it was one of the more popular romance animes too.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Seems like a bunch of new anime are dropping for this season. My girlfriend and I watched a few premiere episodes.

Dandadan - A lot of hype for this one. A delinquent-ish girl who believes in the spiritual occult meets an otaku boy who believes in aliens, and they challenge each other to prove that their beliefs are true. Turns out, they were both right and get into sticky situations with alien abductions and ghost curses. Honestly, I thought it was just okay. It has a lot of wacky energy, and I love an anime that plays around with lots of different animation styles and techniques. But it felt like the first episode should have been more of a hook. Will definitely keep watching though.

Blue Box - A romance anime about a high school boy on the badminton team and a girl on the basketball team. I was interested in this primarily because of the badminton aspect, as I have been playing a lot of it lately. But yeah it seems a lot more romance and a lot less badminton. We shall see. It wasn't awful, but it was the least interesting thing we watched. Beautiful anime though, sort of like a more realistic and higher definition Haikyuu.

Ranma 1/2 - Apparently my girlfriend was a huge fan of the original. This is more of a remake by Mappa. I don't really know what this anime is about yet, but basically the titular Ranma is a teenage martial artist who is cursed to turn into a girl when touched by cold water and turn back into a boy with hot water. The martial arts animation is sweet as expected from Mappa, and I got a few chuckles from it. It feels super old school, but that kinda adds to the charm. Will keep an eye on it, if only for my girlfriend.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dandadan - A lot of hype for this one. A delinquent-ish girl who believes in the spiritual occult meets an otaku boy who believes in aliens, and they challenge each other to prove that their beliefs are true. Turns out, they were both right and get into sticky situations with alien abductions and ghost curses. Honestly, I thought it was just okay. It has a lot of wacky energy, and I love an anime that plays around with lots of different animation styles and techniques. But it felt like the first episode should have been more of a hook. Will definitely keep watching though.
I don't know if its artificial or real, but the hype that a lot of shonen "finally" getting adaptation ofyen (always?) feel very unearned. I always feel like its hyped up by people who have never eatcehd a shonen before and alwasy end up going "that's it?". Like chainsaw man was treated as the second coming of christ, but in the end it was just like JJK, but 20% hornier. Nothing bad, but we've seen these so many time before.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Nah that's how I feel as well, my anime "kick" has lasted like two years now. I haven't watched a live action show that I genuinely enjoyed in a really long time, whereas anime has me generally satisfied. I think a big part of it is the writing. Anime is largely based on mangas that have already been written. If a manga was good enough to get an anime, you'd usually expect the writing to be at least decent.

Aren't there 4 seasons? Well, two full seasons, a third mini season, and a fourth season that is a movie that was cut up into a bunch of episodes. Although that ending you described sounds more like 4th season so I assume you did watch it.

Anyway, I knew that the series hasn't actually finished adapting the manga, but apparently the anime has only adapted half of the manga chapters so far. Seems like season 5 has yet to be announced. Would be a shame if they just never finished the adaptation, it was my impression that it was one of the more popular romance animes too.
You're right it was 3 1/2. Idk, The story pretty seemed complete to me. The conflict that drives the story is resolved. Whatever happens after Im not Id be that interested in seeing.

DANDADAN - Perfect in every way. I absolutely adore the animation. Ive only read maybe 15-20 issues of the comic and only started reading after I heard the noise about the show.

Ranma 1/2 - its..so far...a beat for beat rehash of the original series. The animation is nice, but to be honest the animation in the original holds up pretty well. Youre just getting hd and more frames as those were expensive back in my day. Ironically the only real difference is that its sans the constant nudity. Thats probably for the best as that was always problematic. Its neat, Ill be watching though more out of nostalgia than it being some epic remake.

Ive been watching a lot of anime, but nothing really worth talking about. Lot of comfort food anime on lately. Nothing Id wave my arms around recommending.

Oh right My Hero Academia seems to be in the home stretch. This current season is the only that nothing but battle and all your favorite characters getting maimed or killed. I assume there will be one more season to drag this to a close like Demon Slayer but so far Ive really enjoyed it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know if its artificial or real, but the hype that a lot of shonen "finally" getting adaptation ofyen (always?) feel very unearned. I always feel like its hyped up by people who have never eatcehd a shonen before and alwasy end up going "that's it?". Like chainsaw man was treated as the second coming of christ, but in the end it was just like JJK, but 20% hornier. Nothing bad, but we've seen these so many time before.
Yeah I would say in general, all hype for anime is kinda fake. I used to try and watch videos that recommend shows to watch in the upcoming season, but they're all usually based on the first three episodes, or even less. YouTubers will hype shit shows up because they need people to watch their videos, or maybe the studio put all their budget into the first few episodes alone. But to be fair, I've heard lots of hype for Dandadan even before the anime was announced.

You're right it was 3 1/2. Idk, The story pretty seemed complete to me. The conflict that drives the story is resolved. Whatever happens after Im not Id be that interested in seeing.
I mean, I'd like to see just one season of them actually openly be in a relationship. That said, I also can't comprehend how the story is only supposedly half finished. I felt sure just one more season was in the offing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched Episode 1 of Dandadan, and I might've been more positive if the first episode didn't throw in a high school girl in her underwear shown from various tantalizing angles and under threat of sexual assault, and it didn't end with nerdy glasses loser guy set up to be her true love. This might be a set-up for a rug pull later on, but with how sick I am of this shit in anime already I just really fucking can't with this.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Watching the original Lupin III series. Dropped it at episode 16 eight years ago and don't really know why. Even though I barely remember it, I continued from episode 17. The stories aren't connected anyway.

Don't know why the translators always write out "Lupin the Third" as the characters speak, like it's not hard enough to read and look at the picture at the same time. Like "Lupin III" doesn't look better.

Oh my god...

Lupin the Third TV (1971) - S01E18 - Keep an Eye on the Beauty Contest.mkv_snapshot_21.53_[202...jpg
Lupin the Third TV (1971) - S01E18 - Keep an Eye on the Beauty Contest.mkv_snapshot_21.57_[202...jpg

Last edited: