Funny events in anti-woke world

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
See does offer to fuck him at the end of the game though lol.

Eliie isn't really trying to save Joel in the winter part, she's trying to survive with him while he's down, but there really isn't a journey towards it as she's not pushing towards a goal or solution. Ultimately she just ends up needing to get saved again. Though the Last of Us fits not as a love interest but as a father/daughter dynamic, it's the video game version of Taken. And family would technically be a love interest because you love your family I hope.

Jacob for Lara, not really. Though I suppose it's an attempt at trying to subvert the trope but Jacob is pretty much obviously the bad guy from the first moment you see him. So I don't think it counts.

Aloy doesn't love anybody, she saves people as part of the greater good but she's never remotely interested in anyone. At least not until the DLC for FW in which she is gay by the way.

Which I'd argue making Aloy gay is really stupid. I was fine with her being a savior unable to connect with people on an individual basis, it really made her a bit more interesting because it made her motivations sort of self-serving. Her love interest was her own curiosity and through that she learns and uses what she learns to overcome people's difficulties. Ultimately making her gay just because defeats and destroys an interesting part about her imo.
I have to ask, if Aloy were given a male love interest in the FW DLC, would you be phrasing it as "making her straight"?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have to ask, if Aloy were given a male love interest in the FW DLC, would you be phrasing it as "making her straight"?
No but I still think it would ruin her character. She should have remained asexual. But I do love how you try to demonize normal relationships, as if the popular thing in media hasn't been making everyone as gay as possible and then getting mad at the cisset people for being tired of it.

Also speaking of "cis" you all really dropped the ball on the labeling there when you could have been calling us "cissy or cissies" this whole time. Sad.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
NORMAL RELATIONSHIPS? OK, yeah, fuck off with that. You're basically calling me a freak now because I like men and women...or rather, gender just doesn't matter to me as much as personality. I'm done with this argument.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You are right....wait who was the final boss of that game then? What the fuck am I thinking of?
The villains in the game are Ana and Konstantin.

Jacob is the messiah guy that Lara saves from the gulag where Ana and Konstantin are keeping him prisoner and trying to get info from him about "the source."

Ana kills Jacob at the end of the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you assume it's only me?
I explicitly didn't. I said only what you want, not what only you want.

These pieces of media are FAILING financially. The girl-boss bullshit doesn't sell when it's overblown with over masculinization of the woman, and especially when it comes to the expense of the men or even general supporting cast around them.
Most of the time, the failures that people attribute to this culture-war shit are actually down to much more fundamental issues: gameplay, a glut in the market, or simply being uninteresting. Most people aren't so driven by culture war nonsense that they swear off a game because a character's tits aren't large enough or their chin isn't the right angle. Most people don't notice that dross.

If you like it...that's awesome. However myself, and people like me, don't and we are complaining about it because it's all we really can do. And it's funny because whenever people complained about tropes and all these things, we supported it. Sure let's make more representative media, that's cool. But that representation has come at the expense of what me and people like me also enjoyed.
But youre not supporting what others want. You're saying you want the media others like to not be there.

So those of you who like this stuff, you are getting what you want. And my type of entertainment has been villianized and castrated, and then you get mad at me when I complain about it.
This hasn't happened. I think it's a bit trite to solely enjoy media with in-your-face sex appeal, but I'm fully on board with it existing. I just want it to exist alongside things I like as well.

You're the one here who's castigating media i enjoy for supposedly trying to "erase masculinity". You are the one in this conversation attributing malice to media i enjoy.

Why can we not have both? Why can't some media be this butch-girl bossing lesbian whatever the fuck, while other stuff maintains the sexy assassin badass terminator dudebro manly shit?
We can have both. That's exactly what I want. But you've been condemning the media I enjoy, and castigating creators who want to do anything different from your preference.

Why is what I like demonized, only for people to try and force me to like this other garbage?
Things you don't like existing is not "forcing" you to like it. The stuff you like already has a massive proportion of the market. You're complaining because other people are being given a small sliver of the same pie.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No but I still think it would ruin her character. She should have remained asexual. But I do love how you try to demonize normal relationships
She wasn't asexual. There was no evidence of that. She just didn't have a love interest.

Also, bobmaster asked you if you'd use the same language for straight relationships as you did for gay relationships. So if you think that language is "demonising"-- the same language you used for gay people-- it follows that you consider your own language to be "demonising" gay relationships.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But youre not supporting what others want.
Why should I support what doesn't appeal to me? If there is an audience for that stuff then there would be enough people supporting it to be a success without me. That doesn't mean I don't think that stuff shouldn't be made, they just need to adjust their budgets so that the limited audience they would have can still make the thing successful, rather than trying to force it into the mainstream in which isn't interested in it.

Concord failed, but The First Descendant is doing just fine despite being a bland version of Warframe. Why is that?

You're saying you want the media others like to not be there.
That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying to not CHANGE my media, to suit those "others". Make you own things and stop ruining beloved characters and franchises. The problem is....these writers suck and aren't creative enough to invent their own properties with any sort of appeal to anyone, not even their target audience. Instead they are running media properties into the ground as an act of spite.

I just want it to exist alongside things I like as well.
Well look at that, we CAN agree. Can you also not agree that fucking up existing characters is not a good way to go about this?

You're complaining because other people are being given a small sliver of the same pie.
I'm complaining that they are taking a shit on MY pie instead of baking their own pie. Why can't they bake their own pie? Oh right, they don't know HOW to bake. But they know how to take big ol' shits though.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Aloy doesn't love anybody, she saves people as part of the greater good but she's never remotely interested in anyone. At least not until the DLC for FW in which she is gay by the way.
In the original game, there are a couple of people expressing romantic interest in her and while she does not really pursue it, she also does not directly reject it. It is left open whether the courting might lead anywhere when stuff has settled down. Probably so that the player can decide for themself. That is close enough.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
She wasn't asexual. There was no evidence of that. She just didn't have a love interest.
Meh, she didn't even really have friends. She had people that liked her and wanted to be her friends or more, but she cast them aside to be a lone wolf. There is even a quote, "How can you love this world so much, but nobody in it?" Meaning she would bend over backwards to save the world and everyone in it, but she has no interest in any one person. Thus with no sexuality at all, would that not make her sexual? That was my take on it and I thought it was interesting. Though only in Zero Dawn because she becomes an insufferable asshole in Forbidden West.

Also, they asked you if you'd use the same language for straight relationships as you did for gay relationships. So if you think that language is "demonising"-- the same language you used for gay people-- it follows that you consider your own language to be "demonising" gay relationships.
You're right, I suppose I can't help my bias in that regard.

I apologize for the language coming off that way, it's just frustrating.

I do still stand by "making Aloy Straight" would be a bad move for her character as well though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Probably so that the player can decide for themself.
Which would be fine if this was the case and early choices in the game do suggest this is the direction the game might take. But the player is instead never given these options, which allows the writers to keep Aloy's character consistent regardless of player choice, which I think was a good thing despite it being a bad RPG mechanic.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why should I support what doesn't appeal to me?
You just said you did. If you're not, then fine, but you were the one who said you did.

That doesn't mean I don't think that stuff shouldn't be made
You're here arguing that it shouldn't be made.

That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying to not CHANGE my media, to suit those "others". Make you own things and stop ruining beloved characters and franchises. The problem is....these writers suck and aren't creative enough to invent their own properties with any sort of appeal to anyone, not even their target audience. Instead they are running media properties into the ground as an act of spite.
Mild redesigns of characters, or introducing love interests, are not "changing" the foundations of those franchises. They're regular parts of any new entry.

Well look at that, we CAN agree. Can you also not agree that fucking up existing characters is not a good way to go about this?
If you're agreeing with that statement, it's a notable shift from your focus so far, which has been castigating the media i like.

Obviously i think characters shouldn't be "fucked up". But i don't consider a same-sex relationship or an absense of massive tits to be a "fuck up".

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well Lara Croft is an example, in which she is the only person capable of accomplishing anything.
Which comes with the territory of being a videogame protagonist.

But Rings of Power, The Accolyte, Velma, Batgirl, She-Hulk, Terminator Dark Fate, Joker 2, are some examples.
And who liked any of those exactly?

No but I still think it would ruin her character. She should have remained asexual.
It's optional. She's still whatever-sexual you want her to be. You also have the option of telling Avad - a straight guy - 'maybe, but not yet'.

as if the popular thing in media hasn't been making everyone as gay as possible and then getting mad at the cisset people for being tired of it.
Tired of still having the vast majority of representation? The poor dears.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Meh, she didn't even really have friends. She had people that liked her and wanted to be her friends or more, but she cast them aside to be a lone wolf. There is even a quote, "How can you love this world so much, but nobody in it?" Meaning she would bend over backwards to save the world and everyone in it, but she has no interest in any one person. Thus with no sexuality at all, would that not make her sexual? That was my take on it and I thought it was interesting. Though only in Zero Dawn because she becomes an insufferable asshole in Forbidden West.
That's just the same myopia she exhibited throughout both games. She did form relationships and connections, albeit strained ones. You read asexuality into it, that's fair, but I certainly didn't.

You're right, I suppose I can't help my bias in that regard.

I apologize for the language coming off that way, it's just frustrating.
Fair enough, thank you.

It can be frustrating if you feel the media landscape doesn't cater to you. But then-- I mean, think how I feel? I've been a lot more starved than you, for decades-- and even now, media caters a hell of a lot more to your preferences than it does to mine.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
First off, I apologize for losing my cool a bit earlier. I quite probably took that phrasing as more of a personal attack than I should have. It can be a struggle at times hearing people like my mom talk about how they don't have a problem with gay people, they just don't want to see it "shoved in their faces", where they consider so much as having one too many same-sex couples on the same season of The Amazing Race, or having two women kissing, to fit that description, and I tend to jump to being defensive very quickly.

I also want to point out that with the shows you mentioned, people don't dislike, say, Velma because of Velma being a lesbian, and it's not like non-hetero people like that show because Velma is a lesbian. People generally despise that show because it's an absolutely terrible show, and if anything, non-hetero people hate it even more because of how terrible a representation Velma herself makes.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
First off, I apologize for losing my cool a bit earlier. I quite probably took that phrasing as more of a personal attack than I should have. It can be a struggle at times hearing people like my mom talk about how they don't have a problem with gay people, they just don't want to see it "shoved in their faces", where they consider so much as having one too many same-sex couples on the same season of The Amazing Race, or having two women kissing, to fit that description, and I tend to jump to being defensive very quickly.

I also want to point out that with the shows you mentioned, people don't dislike, say, Velma because of Velma being a lesbian, and it's not like non-hetero people like that show because Velma is a lesbian. People generally despise that show because it's an absolutely terrible show, and if anything, non-hetero people hate it even more because of how terrible a representation Velma herself makes.
Given you just described critical, your apology seems unnecessary.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm more apologizing for how I reacted, not for reacting in and of itself. Basically, I could have handled it better or simply just not posted off the cuff.