Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This tells me so much nothing about the game.
Looks like a different flavor of RE4/R and Dead Space/Remake. They only had 10 secs of over-the-shoulder walking. I am curious, but they could've cut back on teh CG Trailer. When will game company learns? Just give us gameplay and be done with it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Former PlayStation CEO Shawn Layden:

"[In the past] we spent a lot more time looking at games and not asking 'what's your monetization scheme,' or 'what's your recurrent revenue plan,' or 'what's your subscription formula?'" said Layden.

"We asked the simple question: is it fun? Are we having a good time? If you said yes to those questions, you'd usually get a green light. You didn't worry so much about the end piece, for better or for worse. Of course back then you didn't make a game for millions [of] dollars. So your risk tolerance was fairly high.

"Today, the entry costs for making a AAA game is in triple digit millions now. I think naturally, risk tolerance drops. And you're [looking] at sequels, you're looking at copycats, because the finance guys who draw the line say, 'Well, if Fortnite made this much money in this amount of time, my Fortnite knockoff can make this in that amount of time.' We're seeing a collapse of creativity in games today [with] studio consolidation and the high cost of production."

Layden is worried that if the industry mainly relies on the blockbuster AAA games that could be a "death sentence."

"Now if we can just get a bit more interest and excitement and exposure for these lower budget, but super creative and super unusual [type] of games... I'd like to see more of that. Because if we're just going to rely on the blockbusters to get us through, I think that's a death sentence."

He was asked what strategy the few remaining AA studios could adopt, and he said AA has a natural niche that brings "the new thing" rather than be "a dollar store version of God of War."
He helped light the thing on fire, ran from the ashes and now gives his two cents like it was out of his control at the time. I maintain that it's more a publisher problem than a consumer problem. The pubs still drive it. What an asshole.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

He helped light the thing on fire, ran from the ashes and now gives his two cents like it was out of his control at the time. I maintain that it's more a publisher problem than a consumer problem. The pubs still drive it. What an asshole.
Agreed. Biatch acting like he's the actual solution and "preaching to the choir". Thinking he's the first one to come to this conclusion. It's exactly why most AA and indie especially are staying away from AAA publishers or wish to remain privately traded.

Reactions: Ezekiel

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

This guy paved the way to where we are now. I don't want his advice on finding an off-ramp.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

If so many players know about this, why do none of the endless number of indie developers build the filters on top of the pixel graphics? Why do they not draw the pixels with the filter already on in their work tool, so that they can see in real time what it will look like for the player who will have it enabled by default?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Jim Sterling points out the obvious. He goes after easy subjects that most people would obviously agree with him on, things that have usually already been discussed by many others. Maybe in more detail than other YouTubers, but his opinions seldom feel controversial. You'll rarely see him criticize something that most gamers like. Which makes him seem a bit insincere and boring too much of the time. When was the last time he disliked a game that was beloved by the masses?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jim Sterling points out the obvious. He goes after easy subjects that most people would obviously agree with him
This is nothing more than a fun run episode today. I enjoy who what it is. Sterling still goes after tough subjects. So I don't know what you've been talking about, and you've clearly been missing out or not keeping up.

When was the last time he disliked a game that was beloved by the masses?
Hogwarts Legacy and Sonic Froniters. Starfield when it first launched. Dead Space Remake she refused to buy on principal alone. Resident Evil 4 Remake she hated once all the micro transactions came in. People gave her a shit for that too. Like I said before, you have not been keeping up. She doesn't like any of the FFVII Remake and Rebirth games either. She made that widely known.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Resident Evil 4 Remake she hated once all the micro transactions came in.
So, he didn't actually have any deeper criticisms about the game itself, about the mechanics or artistic choices, but focused mostly on the micro-transactions that he's went on about a thousand times before. Gotcha. Basic ***** takes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So, he didn't actually have any deeper criticisms about the game itself, about the mechanics or artistic choices, but focused on the micro-transactions that he's went on about a thousand times before. Gotcha. Basic ***** takes.
The mechanics she was fine (andpraise the game beforehand) with until Capcom snuck in the pay to win mechanics with the weapon upgrade tickets. Like I said before she actually did get push back (Sterling refused to back down from her position) from other lots of people defending the micros, or downplay them as not a big deal. I got through the game fine without even bothering with them but Capcom is not aiming for people like me or you in that regard. They are going after people with addictive tendencies.

I wouldn't call that a basic biatch take, if that many people/ blind Capcom and RE fans are jumping to the defense or trying to downplay the micro transactions.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
She doesn't like any of the FFVII Remake and Rebirth games either. She made that widely known.
"For better or worse, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is going to be whatever it wants to be, and what it wants to be is anything it damn well pleases. Against all common sense, that audacity absolutely works, and I can’t wait to see how the next game gloriously screws things up." 9/10

I admit I haven't seen all her videos on the games, but the written review of Rebirth was glowing.