National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No but that's what happens when you have no cops to enforce laws it becomes land of the lawless eventually.
Hey. Have you ever heard of the word Jakarta being spray painted Chilean buildings?

Edit: I’ll give you a clue. It’s about US trained police that purged millions of people for Capitalism.

Pretending police don’t get involved in purges is far fetched. It’s happened at least twice in America, but limited to people losing their jobs and being ostracised from the community

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm sure if I spent a few hours digging I could find that claim too

Oh wait it didn't take that long

So, I’m just going to point out, you agree with me. Temperance Movement was about DV. You’re no longer pretending it was insignificant reasons for protesting. I’m really confused about your whole entire premise now

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yup, they do indeed. And the First Amendment doesn't entitle anybody to that platform.
Subject to time, place, and manner restrictions, and when viewpoint-neutral. Considering he was speaking at a university-sanctioned event on university property, being duly invited by a campus organization, time, place, and manner restrictions had been satisfied.

Sorry, but a handful of third parties being mad at his mere presence and acting violently of their own volition does not negate his right to speech and to assembly, nor that of the organization that invited him.

Reactions: Hawki

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Subject to time, place, and manner restrictions, and when viewpoint-neutral. Considering he was speaking at a university-sanctioned event on university property, being duly invited by a campus organization, time, place, and manner restrictions had been satisfied.

Sorry, but a handful of third parties being mad at his mere presence and acting violently of their own volition does not negate his right to speech and to assembly, nor that of the organization that invited him.
I'll give a shit when there is even a tenth of the outrage over professors being fired for supporting BDS.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'll give a shit when there is even a tenth of the outrage over professors being fired for supporting BDS.
Is that a left-right issue or a neoliberal issue being pigeonholed into a left-right issue for the sake of consent manufacture? Last I checked establishment Democrats are gleefully throwing progressives and critics of Israel under the bus while steaming ahead with anti-BDS legislature regardless.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And, assuming that's the case, that makes it okay?

"It's okay for me to violently deny you your right to free speech because someone else denied someone else their right to free speech"?

Just how much can you justify like this?
"It's okay to kill you, Mr. Policeman, because some other cop unjustly killed someone else!"

Come on, that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Riiiight. Except my point was specifically about why anti-fascists and anti-racists feel they need to turn out, in response to the threat from far-right groups. The threat from far-right groups was the topic.

The "threat of far-left violence" isn't relevant to that, is it? Maybe if we were talking about right-wing counter-demonstrators feeling they had to turn out... but we weren't.
Ah yes the Far right groups who so far I've not seen any reports of actual inured officers. Yes they tried but again the previous week saw 27 officers injured so hardly a threat there.

Again let them be bitter fools on their own mostly they only want attention anyway.

Neither, because that's a false binary.
No because they're mutually exclusive states

You can't be not a group at all just people with the mindset of being Anti-fascist = AntiFA
But also a group with select membership and exclude people who are Anti-Fascist when the only requirement to call yourself AntiFA is the position of opposing fascism

It's a group, mostly defined by self-identification and turning out to their events. No membership or specific criteria beyond that required, except for broad agreement with their stances. But you can't just term anybody you don't like "Antifa" if they don't turn up to Antifa events, or self-identify with the group.
Why not they identify as Anti Fascists clearly by their actions alone.

How do you know they don't turn up to events. Heck if you're holding events that means organisers so AntiFA is a group then

No, that's not how it works. There are thousands of Protestant churches, and there are protestants belonging to no church.
And Church Councils.
Council Leaders
Heck most Churches have a literal preacher preaching to people.

They have structure.

Also they're thinking of Catholics BTW. You're always a Catholic

Yes, I know who he was referring to. I am able to listen to the words come out of his mouth as he refers to white supremacists as "very fine people" and recognise what those words mean, thank you.
I believe the exact thing he said was "Some of the people at the rally were likely very fine people". Note the rally was called 'Unite the right' and wasn't an exclusive white supremacist created white supremacist only event.

I recall a video (struggling to locate it) of a Republican church group with a Black Minister who set up stage in one area and preached peacefully in the day time on the Saturday.

Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they're being misled by the evil media.
No but there's plenty of fake news out there by less than honest actors.

Lets play a game shall we?

Truth or Fake News. There have all been stories shared round in the past few years, can you spot the True ones from the one that were found to be fake news?

Photo shows Children in a cage as a result of Trump's boarder patrol Policy
(as you'll need the photo, it's here)

Trump orders Whitehouse Officials make tv channel for him of footage of Gorillas
Trump stole a little boys hat and threw it into the crowd.
Trump made a little girl cry in the oval office.
A Russian sex Woker claimed Trump was a client of hers and he has a small penis.
Trump made a political gaf by throwing all his fish feed into a Koi pond thus overfeeding them and did so in a fit of impatience
Trump appears alongside bible quote from Jesus seemingly presenting him and christ
Trump called all immigrants animals
Additional Donald Trump stars were added to the Hollywood Walk of fame
President Donald Trump began a policy of forcing detained immigrants scheduled for criminal prosecution to wear identifying wristbands and yellow bracelets
You can buy a Trumpy bear and it is a for real product
the Secret Service ran out of money for the year due to the demands of protecting President Trump and his family
Donald Trump reinstated a day of commemoration for fallen police, which had been cancelled by Barack Obama

That should keep going going for a while.
Try and do it without google BTW you don't have to reply to me on these it's more just to show things.

But people are not entitled to that platform. That platform is not protected by freedom of speech. If freedom of speech entitled us to that platform, then everybody who doesn't get to speak at Berkeley-- I.E., the vast majority of us-- would be having our right to free speech infringed.
No but if you are invited onto the platform by students then it is their choice to have you speak there. It is also publicly funded this 1st amendment rights would protect some-ones right to speak there. That would include should you want to going there and standing on a box to shout should you want to.

Yup, they do indeed. And the First Amendment doesn't entitle anybody to that platform.
No though being invited by the students in enough numbers to warrant being allowed to speak would entitle them to use said platform.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
PEOPLE WHO GET THEIR NEWS FROM JACK POSOBEIC AND MEME ACCOUNTS SHOULD NOT BE LECTURING ABOUT FAKE NEWS
Edit: note, this is meant for everyone who is not Dwarf, as, y’know, a small reminder of the galaxy brain you are choosing to defend your ideas against.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Correct, the police have lost all legitimacy and shouldn't be out on the streets anymore.
So purge time then?

I'm not splitting these conversations up any more. It gets to be too much work.

But what you addressed with the SWAT idea is really is the crux of what we're talking about. There seems to be more effort or emphasis in escalation than there seems to be in de-escalation. I don't think George Floyd is a prince. I don't think he's a monster. I do not have any real opinion over him other than what he was charged for, and as you shown, he resisted. As much as a drunk girl on the streets of Manhattan... actually, less so, because those girls hit and kick.
The thing is Swat has to be ready for the situation and often times they have taken shooters alive because of tactics and organisation of their methods.

Also as I said it George Floyd didn't majorly resist in a violent was but he did resist as such.

But on that matter, Police Trainer Tom Aveni says he has never seen anyone train with the knee to the neck response. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it seems to be out of protocol. If you're looking to get info on how to deal with a potential subject, one would believe you would deal with that subject according to your training. And if police officials dogpile on one human being with a knee to the neck without training to do as such, you have to wonder where did it come from.
Well you'd put it on the head not the neck. The next would be a failure of procedure which is what happened either though incompetence or malice.

Mistakes that cost lives can not be tolerated if the party that continually commits said 'mistake' is almost never held accountable for it.
Agreed. An independent Police complaints commission should be started in the USA like the UK actually has

And there's two kinds of safe. The safe that doesn't get you killed and/or harmed, and then there's the kind of safe that nothing bad happens to you. Complying with police might keep me physically safe, but if I look like a good collar and there's a quota coming up, complying with the police will probably end my life. Point blank.
Which speaks to problems in the system as such which need to be fixed in that case.

Police use tactics that are criminal to make their arrest quotas. Like Stop and Frisk. Do you know smoking and possessing weed (under a certain amount) has been no more than a ticketable fine in NYC since 1977? Longer than most of us have been alive. But, as long as you're not smoking it in public and it's not visible, police have nothing to hold you over.

So here comes Stop and Frisk. A police tells you to empty your pockets. You do. There's the weed, and even though it is under that amount... boom. Arrested. And not for a misdemeanor. Welcome to a felony.
Or flip it. You don't turn out your pockets. Arrested for resisting arrest.
Can't you just hold your hands up and tell the officer to check your pockets?

And that's ignoring the officers who admit that they've just been planting drugs on innocent people for years.

Sheriffs just tell deputies to find black people to pin crimes on.

Just the Innocence Project itself. If the Police have the capability to get it wrong even a little bit, it will affect people's lives in untold ways. Like I said, this isn't just about black people being innocent. There are black criminals. But the measure of their crime should not
Body cameras and an oversight board of some kind.

And yet... I will never tell anyone not to comply. Because it's even more dangerous to do so. But the point of the matter is that dealing with the authorities is treacherous for certain people. The safest option leads to the most injustice. That is what infuriates the most of us. Because we are soft targets. No one cares. People want to read this stat and that, not stopping to think about how much corruption is shown in the police force... Oh, just a bunch of bad apples. But any true criminality in the black community doesn't get that "bad apple" handwave.

We'll ignore the mountains of evidence of corruption for almost every level of policing in this country. and still buy their reporting as fact because it's comfortable. Or more over, they don't treat other people like that, so it's acceptable.

It's sickening, is what it is.

But I'll ask you this. If I'm not at the hands of one of your police officers who are just trying to do their job. If I'm at the hands of a police officers like the ones I'm showing you... is your best response to me 'sit there, comply, and hope you make it out'? Because both your officers and my officers exist. And I'm just as likely to end up with one of mine as I am to end up with one of yours.

Would you tell me to fight for my life? Or just sit there and take the punishment and hope I'm fine? Because if that's the only answer, that is the biggest problem we face.

Because no living being can ask another living being to not fight for its life. End of story.
If you fight you are more likely to end up dead if you don't comply so you're still better off complying and hoping the officer isn't corrupt.

Though again an ovesight board etc would very much help stop some of the abuses of power.

That and getting rid of targets for number of arrests. That really is a bad idea.

Hey. Have you ever heard of the word Jakarta being spray painted Chilean buildings?

Edit: I’ll give you a clue. It’s about US trained police that purged millions of people for Capitalism.

Pretending police don’t get involved in purges is far fetched. It’s happened at least twice in America, but limited to people losing their jobs and being ostracised from the community
US trained likely for their tactics not their morals and ethics.

So, I’m just going to point out, you agree with me. Temperance Movement was about DV. You’re no longer pretending it was insignificant reasons for protesting. I’m really confused about your whole entire premise now
and you agree enough suffragettes joined the movement for their presence to be notable

That's also what happens when the police no longer have the trust of the people. Then they become an occupying army.
Which we're not at that point as people wouldn't trust the Police enough to feel at least somewhat safe protesting still.

PEOPLE WHO GET THEIR NEWS FROM JACK POSOBEIC AND MEME ACCOUNTS SHOULD NOT BE LECTURING ABOUT FAKE NEWS
Oh did you not enjoy Truth of Fake News?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know, if our choices are The Purge and having cops as they exist right now, I'm gonna go with The Purge and bank on most of humanity not being shit.

Because between this and (at least) 500 other instances of police brutality at the "stop being so brutal" protest, cops are untenable
966EDCCB-27C0-48D2-92B2-B4E34A60C246.png2E38061F-75B6-4A3A-9AE9-9AFD1CF56F0D.pngE11E4507-92E6-4284-B27E-A73B105F5B7A.png2903465A-71C4-4655-96D0-1263E5DE71DC.png

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
So, in case you want a recording of dudes actually trying (and largely failing tbh) to beat the shit out of someone in Seattle, look no further than this guy getting attacked by Proud Boys for... taking pictures. Tiny, who is currently on probation due to other assaults he’s committed, is the guy in the niners hoodie. This is outside of CHAZ btw.
Oh, and in case there’s some concern about the source being biased hacks, they are. Right wing hacks. This was recorded by a guy with the DailyCaller.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And I don't care what circumstances come up, if a civilian shot and killed a cop, even if it was 100% in self defense, that the cop was in the wrong, NOBODY would actually see it that way. Well, nobody on the pro-cop side.
I think a thing to bear in mind is that a large percentage of people have a very high psychological respect for social order and authority. I think they genuinely struggle to grasp why people distrust authority, or accept that certain authorities such as the police may behave unreasonably (without extremely clear evidence). They will latch onto anything to excuse the police or traduce and blame the victim, even severe implausibilities.

When Trump for instance said that man who got pushed over by cops was an Antifa provocateur, it's the stuff that lots of these people will accept, because it speaks so powerfully to what they want to believe.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So, in case you want a recording of dudes actually trying (and largely failing tbh) to beat the shit out of someone in Seattle, look no further than this guy getting attacked by Proud Boys for... taking pictures. Tiny, who is currently on probation due to other assaults he’s committed, is the guy in the niners hoodie. This is outside of CHAZ btw.
Oh, and in case there’s some concern about the source being biased hacks, they are. Right wing hacks. This was recorded by a guy with the DailyCaller.
Better quality copy of the video cause that twitter one is pretty bad

Seems Chop's / Chaz's no cop policy isn't working out too well.

I mean there was also the guy who reportedly got his tent robbed and lost his mackbook, $400 of cash and his charging bank.

By the way don't buy the $6 hotdogs

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And, assuming that's the case, that makes it okay?
Depends.

From the point of view of defending free speech absolutely, no. But from the point of view of a political struggle where forms of free speech are suppressed without comment whilst others are defended, one might prefer an equal playing field.

I have a problem with the "free speech" debate, in that it's hopelessly cock-eyed, with many of the most problematic aspects of free speech completely overlooked whilst people make a big deal over no-platforming and getting banned for abusing their Twitter accounts. Some talk about freedom of people to come to universities and say what they like, whereas academic freedom - the ability of university staff to freely teach and pursue knowledge without interference - has been drastically eroded and they don't know or give a shit. In fact, by my experience, the same people who complain about some students no-platforming talks arranged by other students will usually in their next breath advocate forms of enforced ideological neutrality policies on universities, and defunding or forcibly scrapping academic disciplines they don't personally agree with. Because "free speech".

If we are to truly believe in free speech, we need to think about ALL free speech. The problem is that too many people don't: they only care about when them and theirs don't get to say what they like. It is thus refreshing to see someone at least have the honesty to come out and say "If you won't respect mine, I won't respect yours".

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I thought CHAZ wasn't using money, and that all food was part of a collective or something?

Meh, what do I know?
It's both so far.

Traders are apparently selling stuff quite well. I mean in one video some-one mentions about a shop doing a phone charging service or something lol

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I went through that guy's Twitter feed out of curiosity and...Jesus Christ.

This...this is trolling, right? This surely can't be real. And if it is real, um...I guess even before they took the white woman off, Amerindian, Latino, MENA, and Asian people were kind of screwed, no?

Edit: Okay, so it almost definitely is a joke - scroll down the thread, the revisions get more and more absurd. But, well, I'm reminded of someone called Poe, and a law he wrote...

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Depends.

From the point of view of defending free speech absolutely, no. But from the point of view of a political struggle where forms of free speech are suppressed without comment whilst others are defended, one might prefer an equal playing field.

I have a problem with the "free speech" debate, in that it's hopelessly cock-eyed, with many of the most problematic aspects of free speech completely overlooked whilst people make a big deal over no-platforming and getting banned for abusing their Twitter accounts. Some talk about freedom of people to come to universities and say what they like, whereas academic freedom - the ability of university staff to freely teach and pursue knowledge without interference - has been drastically eroded and they don't know or give a shit. In fact, by my experience, the same people who complain about some students no-platforming talks arranged by other students will usually in their next breath advocate forms of enforced ideological neutrality policies on universities, and defunding or forcibly scrapping academic disciplines they don't personally agree with. Because "free speech".

If we are to truly believe in free speech, we need to think about ALL free speech. The problem is that too many people don't: they only care about when them and theirs don't get to say what they like. It is thus refreshing to see someone at least have the honesty to come out and say "If you won't respect mine, I won't respect yours".
Downside of "Teach what you want" it leads to people claiming they should be able to teach what they want which would lead to cranks peddling holistic medical studies or nonsense too.

Hell some subjects are really only run because they're so profitable they're not actually of use to anyone in a lot of case they're degrees to say people have degrees.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So I went through that guy's Twitter feed out of curiosity and...Jesus Christ.

This...this is trolling, right? This surely can't be real. And if it is real, um...I guess even before they took the white woman off, Amerindian, Latino, MENA, and Asian people were kind of screwed, no?

Edit: Okay, so it almost definitely is a joke - scroll down the thread, the revisions get more and more absurd. But, well, I'm reminded of someone called Poe, and a law he wrote...
IT was revealed as a troll eventually but it did quite well in the Chaz subreddit

Status
Not open for further replies.