I love it but I don't want to play it again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What are some games you love but have no desire what so ever to play through again?

I was watching a vid talking about Wing Commander for the snes and was remembering how much I loved the series for dos back in the day and then I found out it was on gog so I could play it again. But, I just didn't want to, I really didn't want to go back and actually play through the series again.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Mad Max was really fun and had some of the best car combat mechanics, physics, sound, etc. But it was incredibly tedious even for open world games, what with the part collecting, enemy base destruction, player base fortifying, vehicle upgrades, Max upgrades, etc.

I think most huge open world games fall under this category simply because they are such big time commitments, and don’t lend themselves well to typical replay value because one play through is kinda meant to be all-encompassing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Witcher 3. Too many game breaking bugs. Too much filler between really cool story beats.

Fallout before 4. I’ve played them enough times. They have nothing left to offer me.

Baulders Gate 1. Actually quite boring

There is more. I can’t remember most of them. I actually have a folder on Steam called Done. I have no desire to ever play them again.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Metroid: Samus Returns
Bayonetta
Most Mario games
Zone of the Enders
Persona Q1 and Q2
DMC Devil May Cry (Yes, I know)
Driver San Francisco
Strike Suit Zero

Probably way more than that, but this is the most I could think of looking at what games I had nearby

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lollipop Chainsaw - The combat is not that good, even by Grasshopper standards, and playing on the harder difficulties is tedious, and unfulfilling. I don't even think the hard modes had achievements, so that is a plus. I like Juliet, and the characters surrounding her, but it's a one and done game with not much replay value. I never picked it up again, and traded it in.

Nier: Autoamata - The story was excellent, but I hated the gameplay philosophy for higher difficulties. Very Hard mode is one and hit and your dead even at max stats. Die, and you have start at the very beginning. Fuck that! I don't do many rpgs, because I do not have the time for them. I unlocked all of the main endings anyway, so I feel I have done enough with the game.

Saints Row 2 and previous GTAs - It technically does and does not counts as I hate sandbox games nowadays. They're just time wasters with out much to do once you complete the main campaign, or did all of the collectibles or side quests. They take too long, and I am stickler for shorter games, or linear/semi-linear games in general. Give me a metroidvania game or a linear game any day over another sandbox game.

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus - I love the story, characters, and writing, but I hate how they did not improve the stealth, and made things worse by adding way more stealth in levels. In almost every single encounter. I never bothered with the bonus DLC, as I already lost interest in the game.

Resident Evil 4 - Love is a strong word. More I like it enough, but I could never get over the pacing of this game. It drags during the last 1/3. Not as bad in say 5 or especially 6, but there is reason I rarely bother with the 4-6 trilogy.

Gungrave Overdose - The game has too much padding and levels go on way longer than necessary. Red Entertainment when overboard on the criticism of the first game being too short. Sometimes a short game is better than a long game. The original was an arcade game meant to be mastered on harder difficulties to get the highest stylish ranks. But know-it-all critics, and people who only play games once and never touch them again could not see that. Goes to show you not everyone is smart as they make themselves out to be.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DMC Devil May Cry (Yes, I know)
Did you play the Definitive Edition? It is much better and comes with new difficulty modes and modifiers. I still hate the story and most of the characters, but Capcom and QLOC (Ninja Theory was just promoting the new edition at this point and paying lip service) tried, fixing most of the problems I had with the gameplay.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Did you play the Definitive Edition? It is much better and comes with new difficulty modes and modifiers. I still hate the story and most of the character, but Capcom and QLOC (Ninja Theory was just promoting the new edition at this point and paying lip service) tried, fixing most of the problems I had with the gameplay.
I did not, I got the original version on Steam a long time ago. Even with the faults I still liked it enough, I can see some glimmers of a really nice game in there. Dante's still an insufferable twat, though

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did not, I got the original version on Steam a long time ago. Even with the faults I still liked it enough, I can see some glimmers of a really nice game in there. Dante's still an insufferable twat, though
Agreed. If you ever decide to get the DE version, it's on PS4 and XONE only. Capcom did not do a PC version of DE for some dumb reason.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
The Persona series springs to mind. I loved P3, P4, and P5, but I never really felt the desire to do a second 60+ hr playthrough, even if I have other social links to complete, or play the ones with the added content (p4 golden or p5 royal). I wouldn't quite say I'll never play these games again, but I probably won't play them again until they become a distant memory.

To a certain extent this applies to most jrpgs I play. I think FF7R and Tales of Vesperia and Xilla are the only JRPGs I did 2 playthroughs of.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Frankly, almost every single player game I have ever played.

I'm not big into replaying things in general, the only games I ever do are ones that have a gameplay loop that I really enjoy. Titanfall 2 for example, just a blast to play the game.

I loved the Witcher 3 to bits, but I can't imagine doing all that all over again. Same with Skyrim. Might as well add in every other RPG I've ever played.

Uncharted 4 has really satisfying gameplay like Titanfall 2, but all the character building moments and puzzles are such a slog to go through again. Which is why it was nice of them to add the "encounter" mode, but even that isn't quite perfect.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a ton of games I'll play once and probably never play again either due to time commitment or just not enjoying it enough for a replay. However,off the top of my head....

Sekiro. I really liked it but damn if some of those boss fights annoyed the ever-loving shit out of me. I'm looking at you, SSI.

Spec Ops I'm unlikely to pick up again. Knowing the big plot reveals probably doesn't make a replay more fun.

I'm not sure if I ever want to play Horizon Zero Dawn again. I love it but half the fun was the mystery of uncovering what happened.The rest is killing dinos with bows. I know if I did replay it I'd skip most of the Cauldrons.

Actually, big open world games seem to hit this hard for me. I tend to do as much as I really want to do on the first go around under the assumption I may never play it again and it kinda means there's not much to discover on a replay. The fact they're really time consuming in general doesn't help this.

Most JRPGs I grew up with also fall into this because every time I think of "Man, I could replay FF whatever again" and my mind immediately goes to...."30 hours of grinding". Chrono Trigger is one of the few I go back to every so often because the grind is minimal and the game is short. OTOH, I'm unlikely to ever pop Chrono Cross in again, because I know where that road ends.

The backlog is always an issue because if I'm replaying a game, it means I'm not playing a new game I want to try. So it needs to be a game I either really, really enjoy, short enough not to make much of an impact(10 hours or less) or something I'm just really in the mood for.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Wolfenstein II The New Colossus - I love the story, characters, and writing, but I hate how they did not improve the stealth, and made things worse by adding way more stealth in levels. In almost every single encounter. I never bothered with the bonus DLC, as I already lost interest in the game.
I hated how the officer "design" was. Every level/section has officers way at the end so it forced you to stealth all the way through or just kill everything with alarms and reinforcements running in. Whereas New Order had officers not that far into the level so you can take a couple minutes to find and kill them, then have your Nazi-killing fun.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
a Plague Tale: Innocence

This game was great, had likeable characters, and even when it went a bit bonker by the end, I was still thoroughly invested. But as soon as the credits roled I had zero urge to ever play it again. For what reason, I don't know.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Cook, Serve, Delicious. I got as far as the 5* restaurant and everything cleared for the actual ending except the time commitment when I just burnt out. I haven't touched it since, and I'm probably not going to, even though it is a pretty fun arcade-y type game.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Pretty much every game really. What with my backlog, other hobbies and real life priorities encroaching on my playtime, I just don't feel like replaying anything again. Maybe a short game that can be completed in one sitting, but anything longer than that, let alone 100+ hour chonkers? No, I'd rather just do something I haven't played yet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@CriticalGaming & @Johnny Novgorod I never liked Spec-Ops: The Line. While it had good ideas, they felt forced and hypocritical in its messages. Plus, the cover shooting was bland. Don't say that was the point. I heard that more times than I care to count. MGS2 did all of themes The Line did back in 2002 for better effect.

Radiant Silvergun - Too tough for my blood and sugar. I've yet to do a no death run.

Sin & Punishment: Star Sucessor - The final boss was a pain in my sphincter. Never again. Still love the soundtrack.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@CriticalGaming & @Johnny Novgorod I never liked Spec-Ops: The Line. While it had good ideas, they felt forced and hypocritical in its messages. Plus, the cover shooting was bland. Don't say that was the point. I heard that more times than I care to count. MGS2 did all of themes The Line did back in 2002 for better effect.

Radiant Silvergun - Too tough for my blood and sugar. I've yet to do a no death run.

Sin & Punishment: Star Sucessor - The final boss was a pain in my sphincter. Never again. Still love the soundtrack.
Understood, but Spec Ops told a story that pulled NO punches, and it is very rare for a game to do that. So while the gunplay was whatever, I felt like it took a great risk it what it did with the story and pulled it off.