Battle of the strategy games, Gears vs Xcom.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Chimera Squad looks really interesting. The premise and theme remind me of Apocalypse, which was my personal favourite of the classic X-Com games.

Gears as a franchise just doesn't interest me. If it turns out to be really good I'll probably look into it, but I'm not sure gameplay could even save those extremely tired and boring aesthetics.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So it's ok for you to not be a big fan of XCOM buts it's not ok for others to not care about the XCOM series?

Have fun being hypocritical as hell.
I'm pointing out that you boasted about Mario + Rabbids metacritic score when it has the same gameplay of XCOM.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I'm pointing out that you boasted about Mario + Rabbids metacritic score when it has the same gameplay of XCOM.
Ok...
I haven't played Mario Party 6 or Mario Party 7 either. If i compare their metacritic scores with each other and i get interested in playing Mario Party 6 but have no interest in Playing Mario Party 7, does that mean that i hate Mario Party 2? which i have played and liked?

Mario Party 2 has pretty much the same type of game play as Mario Party 6 and 7 after all.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Ok...
I haven't played Mario Party 6 or Mario Party 7 either. If i compare their metacritic scores with each other and i get interested in playing Mario Party 6 but have no interest in Playing Mario Party 7, does that mean that i hate Mario Party 2? which i have played and liked?

Mario Party 2 has pretty much the same type of game play as Mario Party 6 and 7 after all.
I'm just pointing out you have a history of liking stuff (that's been around for awhile) when there's a fresh new "Nintendo" stamped on the box.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I'm just pointing out you have a history of liking stuff (that's been around for awhile) when there's a fresh new "Nintendo" stamped on the box.
and i'm just pointing out that comparing metacritic scores doesn't mean jack shit about how much you personally like or dislike games.

and you have a history of only liking something when there's a fresh new "Sony Playstaion" label stamped on the box btw. hence why i laughed at you in the "Nintendo, Playstation or Xbox" thread

i didn't realise that Gears of War (which i like and even mentioned i've played up to Gears 3 in this thread) had a fucking "Nintendo" label stamped on the box. nothing was even mentioned about Nintendo until your biased ass brought them up to defend your precious XCOM

how typical that you'll resort to your stupid, same old, "Nintendo fanboy" comebacks to me and completely ignore what i said about Gears of War or anything else positive i've said about Non Nintendo related products.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
and i'm just pointing out that comparing metacritic scores doesn't mean jack shit about how much you personally like or dislike games.

and you have a history of only liking something when there's a fresh new "Sony Playstaion" label stamped on the box btw. hence why i laughed at you in the "Nintendo, Playstation or Xbox" thread

i didn't realise that Gears of War (which i like and even mentioned i've played up to Gears 3 in this thread) had a fucking "Nintendo" label stamped on the box. nothing was even mentioned about Nintendo until your biased ass brought them up to defend your precious XCOM

how typical that you'll resort to your stupid, same old, "Nintendo fanboy" comebacks to me and completely ignore what i said about Gears of War or anything else positive i've said about Non Nintendo related products.
I don't use metacritic, you do for some reason. I'm literally commenting on how you used metacritic scores to show Nintendo games are better than Sony games. I don't even know the last time I've even read any professional review of any game. Please show proof of me liking PlayStation games just because PlayStation is on it. I have numerous posts showing my dislike for Uncharted (outside of UC2 and Lost Legacy), God of War (outside of OG GOW1), Souls games (which Sony started). Hell, I even said it was a joke that something like Uncharted and Spiderman were nominated for GOTY.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I don't use metacritic, you do for some reason. I'm literally commenting on how you used metacritic scores to show Nintendo games are better than Sony games.
Why?

this thread isn't even about Nintendo or Sony Specific games. nor did i even bring up metacritic scores in this thread to start with. you did.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Why?

this thread isn't even about Nintendo or Sony Specific games. nor did i even bring up metacritic scores in this thread to start with. you did.
He's accusing you of being hypocritical for claiming to not care about XCOM when you allegedly boasted about how good Mario + Rabids was when that game plays almost exactly the same (and not nearly as well, in my opinion).

Like, c'mon. It's not hard to parse this conversation.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
He's accusing you of being hypocritical for claiming to not care about XCOM when you allegedly boasted about how good Mario + Rabids was when that game plays almost exactly the same (and not nearly as well, in my opinion).

i know he is.

i'm just pointing out that his bait to start an argument was irrelevant as hell to the actual thread at hand. i don't think i've even spoken about Mario vs Rabbids since 2018 at all. the fact that he's still mad that i apparently"boasted" about them that long ago is such a long and petty grudge of his to have

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

This guy (or gal) gets it!

i'm just pointing out that his bait to start an argument was irrelevant as hell to the actual thread at hand. i don't think i've even spoken about Mario vs Rabbids since 2018 at all. the fact that he's still mad that i apparently"boasted" about them that long ago is such a long and petty grudge of his to have
I'm not mad at all, I couldn't care less. It's just so easy to google search "[insert Nintendo game] + yoshi178 + escapist" and get your posts boosting how great it is, how much it sold, how high its metacritic is, etc. It takes less than a minute. I doubt it's just a coincidence that you boosted about Mario + Rabbids but couldn't care less about XCOM as XCOM is lacking something on the box that you find overly important. Just like how Xenogears and Xenosaga weren't a thing and then Xenoblade is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
This guy (or gal) gets it!

I'm not mad at all, I couldn't care less. It's just so easy to google search "[insert Nintendo game] + yoshi178 + escapist" and get your posts boosting how great it is, how much it sold, how high its metacritic is, etc. It takes less than a minute. I doubt it's just a coincidence that you boosted about Mario + Rabbids but couldn't care less about XCOM as XCOM is lacking something on the box that you find overly important. Just like how Xenogears and Xenosaga weren't a thing and then Xenoblade is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
XCOM 2 is also coming to the Switch this year

Yeah. I'm totally hyped to buy it now right?!!! XD

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm not a super big fan of xcom releasing at "half price", I don't think game should get discount for at least the first 3 month, otherwise its clear the price is just there so that they can put a big discount, I feel like it'll probably spend more time on discount than at the real price.

But I like that they're changing the system to a per unit turn rather than per team, tbh I hope they do that for xcom 3. It makes it less RNG heavy, cause often soldier surviving just come down to whether or not the enemy team will focus fire or not and there's not much you can do about it. I do hope they also change the pod activation system, enemy should not get a free move when discovered, it just make flanking when riskier than it need to be and limit your option mid fight.

Gears seems pretty nice, I doubt I'll pick it up on release but I'll keep my eye on it.

As for total war, I'm cautiously optimistic about Troy. Both the warhammer and 3K game were pretty good so I think CA is doing well. The england one was more of a test bed for various new idea, some which were very welcome like unit not being trained at full strength.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I do hope they also change the pod activation system, enemy should not get a free move when discovered, it just make flanking when riskier than it need to be and limit your option mid fight.
I think the new breaching solves this issue. You station your team at entry points, bust in, and start combat so there's no putzing around the level anymore it seems. I hope that's the case for how all the encounters work. Mutant Year Zero implemented a stealth system that allows the player to engage when ready and after locating the enemies. Hopefully, that bad system has been rooted out of the genre.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not a super big fan of xcom releasing at "half price", I don't think game should get discount for at least the first 3 month, otherwise its clear the price is just there so that they can put a big discount, I feel like it'll probably spend more time on discount than at the real price.
It is a bit strange to launch at 50% off and does kinda make me wonder about it, but I can think of some reasons they would do this. The most obvious reason for it is they are trying to undercut Gears Tactics, the games both launch a few days apart so they want to make sure they beat the more AAA game since the Xcom games have always had a bit of jank to them. It could be they are trying to be like "Hey, its quarantine times, have a new game cheap" but that doesn't really make sense because if they were they would want to advertise that fact. Lastly, it could be that they are changing enough about how the systems work they are worried about gamer revolt so they are making it really cheap, and considering how butthurt some of the dinks in the forums are being, that seems like a reasonable fear.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think the new breaching solves this issue. You station your team at entry points, bust in, and start combat so there's no putzing around the level anymore it seems. I hope that's the case for how all the encounters work. Mutant Year Zero implemented a stealth system that allows the player to engage when ready and after locating the enemies. Hopefully, that bad system has been rooted out of the genre.
I think that swing too much in the other direction and remove the player decision. I like choosing where to fight the alien squad and making creative use of a level, but when I'm just following what the level creator obviously intended me to do, that takes away a lot of the magic of those moments and make the game too much of a puzzle.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yep. Have fun sleeping tonight.
Oh, that's too bad, it was a good game and my discs are broken.

I think this will answer your question.

Holy crap that clip was harder to find then it should have been.
I knew this was coming the moment I saw the Snake in the background....and it's an XCOM sequel and you can't google VIPER without seeing Rule 34 everywhere. Remember, Those are" VENOM SACS"!

Which is why Snake Hostess clubs are now canon per the trailer. It pretty much confirms someone on the art team is a furry.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yep. Have fun sleeping tonight.

I knew this was coming the moment I saw the Snake in the background....and it's an XCOM sequel and you can't google VIPER without seeing Rule 34 everywhere. Remember, Those are" VENOM SACS"!

Which is why Snake Hostess clubs are now canon per the trailer. It pretty much confirms someone on the art team is a furry.
Snake hostess clubs you say?

Anyway. Xcom Chimera Squad has released and so far its quite good, you don't really seem to have the ability to customize your squads aside from gear and shirt color, but each member has more personality and a full history as to what they were doing during the other games and how they ended up with Chimera Squad, which is interesting. And, each member of your squad has their own voice, which are all acted well from what I've heard so far, but I do wish Torque (viper) did something with her performance, its just woman voice, not trying to mix up the sound at all or even extending 'S' sound. The gameplay is for the most part the solid Xcom Strategy experience you know and love/hate. But, there are a few new additions, such as combat being separated into encounters and the breach mechanic, which is pretty fun to use and really lets you decide how an encounter will start out. Instead of starting on a huge map and having a bunch of enemies under the fog of war, you start on a smaller map with fewer enemies (although re You can even use certain abilities and items during a breach to give further advantages or heal wounds or cc enemies.