Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I never played that content myself, but I watched a few let's plays. The bit that I loved the most, was just how they didn't give a fuck with the cutscenes with the characters. You'd get stuff like "Ok well, I'll see you in a few minutes! I'm just going back to my store first, by way of this loooong....dark....isolated alley....all by myself! Cya later..." *whistles as he walks off camera, zombies grab him* "Oh god! Help! Who could've foreseen this?!" :D And Jon just sort of shakes his head and moves on. Loved that stuff.
Oh, that one was great too. Especially what a fucking obnoxious jerk he was in the base game. Maybe we were supposed to like him but instead he came across as a cowardly racist with delusions of genius, so pretty much 5 kinds of insufferable.

Though reading about him getting himself in trouble at yale in the epilogue of the base game was almost as good.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah the movements take a bit to get used to. I wouldn't call them the most fluid of controls, especially climbing and jumping from yellow thing to yellow thing
The tutorial intro as kid Aloy didn’t leave a good first impression of how movement felt, but man did everything feel butter-smooth after that. Some of the best feeling climbing (plus really pleasant sound effects) even if extremely streamlined, and aiming is still my gold standard for third person.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The tutorial intro as kid Aloy didn’t leave a good first impression of how movement felt, but man did everything feel butter-smooth after that. Some of the best feeling climbing (plus really pleasant sound effects) even if extremely streamlined, and aiming is still my gold standard for third person.
I think part of that, is that, perhaps, since kid Aloy is so much smaller, and thus her hitbox is smaller, it sort of conflicted with a lot of the mechanics? Also if I recall correctly, they flat out disable a lot of her movement functions when she's a kid, so that you feel rather helpless, and to prevent you exploring too much in the prologue.

But yeah it's a really fun game. I wish the climbing mechanics were more polished, I'm not a fan of being limited to certain paths for climbing. Though you could around it somewhat with some classic Skyrim mountain mantling.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think part of that, is that, perhaps, since kid Aloy is so much smaller, and thus her hitbox is smaller, it sort of conflicted with a lot of the mechanics? Also if I recall correctly, they flat out disable a lot of her movement functions when she's a kid, so that you feel rather helpless, and to prevent you exploring too much in the prologue.

But yeah it's a really fun game. I wish the climbing mechanics were more polished, I'm not a fan of being limited to certain paths for climbing. Though you could around it somewhat with some classic Skyrim mountain mantling.
Maybe it was on purpose to show how much more capable adult Aloy has become.

To me the platforming felt really polished, but just really limited. Jumping could be kinda janky feeling though, especially alongside an area that wouldn’t allow climbing. I think this is one area - traversal mechanics - that really needs improvement next gen. There should be no more excuses for your character being stopped dead by a waist high debris field unless it’s molten lava-based, because next gen will have a clambering mechanic that actually, you know, makes use of human limbs like an actual person would use them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Maybe it was on purpose to show how much more capable adult Aloy has become.

To me the platforming felt really polished, but just really limited. Jumping could be kinda janky feeling though, especially alongside an area that wouldn’t allow climbing. I think this is one area - traversal mechanics - that really needs improvement next gen. There should be no more excuses for your character being stopped dead by a waist high debris field unless it’s molten lava-based, because next gen will have a clambering mechanic that actually, you know, makes use of human limbs like an actual person would use them.
Yeah, my issue with the jumping/climbing, was an issue common with games built like this, with the limited paths for climbing. Where you have to go to a certain direction to traverse, but then the game doesn't magnetize you to the next point, so you fall off. Which I've never understood. If the game has you limited to "you can only parkour/climb on these specific paths, and ye shall not deviate at all." then why have it where I can miss a jump? Just magnetize me to the next point if you aren't going to make it an actual challenge. If the mechanics were open, like BOTW, then I wouldn't mind, if my aim is off, then I fall. But when it's like "nope, this path and only this path." Then don't allow for a variable of failure.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah the movements take a bit to get used to. I wouldn't call them the most fluid of controls, especially climbing and jumping from yellow thing to yellow thing
I just really don't like default control scheme.

Why is it down on the d-pad to throw rocks. Why does that need its own button? Why can't rocks just be a selectable item on your weapon wheel?

Why is crouch and slide on the square button? It makes it really awkward to shoot while sliding since you have to take your finger off the aiming joystick to do it.

I would have used the D-pad for weapon selection and and L1 as the crouch/slide button so that you can sprint, crouch, and slide without taking your thumb off R3. I haven't played around with the control settings yet, so maybe I can set up something that makes more sense to me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I just really don't like default control scheme.

Why is it down on the d-pad to throw rocks. Why does that need its own button? Why can't rocks just be a selectable item on your weapon wheel?
Well, seeing as Days Gone did exactly that, and I personally found it frustrating to have to weapon wheel for a distraction item that you use all the time, I'm ok with the quick button assignment for throw rock.

Why is crouch and slide on the square button? It makes it really awkward to shoot while sliding since you have to take your finger off the aiming joystick to do it.
I guess they assumed you were already in stealth mode before you are bothering to shoot, so you don't have to worry about pressing it again? *shrugs*

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, seeing as Days Gone did exactly that, and I personally found it frustrating to have to weapon wheel for a distraction item that you use all the time, I'm ok with the quick button assignment for throw rock.

I guess they assumed you were already in stealth mode before you are bothering to shoot, so you don't have to worry about pressing it again? *shrugs*
Isn't slide only used when sprinting? How can you be in stealth mode if you're sprinting?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Isn't slide only used when sprinting? How can you be in stealth mode if you're sprinting?
Oh I see my mistake, you were commenting about shooting while sliding. My bad. I never actually bothered doing that so that was never an issue I ran into. All my shooting was ambush stealth shooting. Yeah I can see how that would be a problem. I guess they figured your sequence of presses was "press L3 to run, press square to trigger slide, THEN pull up your bow now that your right thumb is free, and thus they didn't think it was awkward?" *shrugs*

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't let you change your controls.

Great.

The default controls are definitely sub-optimal. Not really sure what they were thinking when they decided they wouldn't allow control remapping or alternate control schemes. When is it ever a good idea to force 1 control scheme?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
And Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't let you change your controls.

Great.

The default controls are definitely sub-optimal. Not really sure what they were thinking when they decided they wouldn't allow control remapping or alternate control schemes. When is it ever a good idea to force 1 control scheme?
Has there ever been a console game that lets you remap controller inputs? I can't recall one personally. I know they have alternate schemes, but frankly those have never seemed to improve my control issues, as it will fix one button problem, but create 2 more by placing other things in awkward spots.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
If it's any help or consolation (lol), apparently you can remap the controller configuration in the system settings on the PS4, though I've never used it myself. It just means you might have to mess with it before changing to a different game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Has there ever been a console game that lets you remap controller inputs? I can't recall one personally. I know they have alternate schemes, but frankly those have never seemed to improve my control issues, as it will fix one button problem, but create 2 more by placing other things in awkward spots.
Surprised PhoenixMGS hasn’t showed up yet to say that the PS4 system settings have an accessibility section for remapping the controls for any game.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Surprised PhoenixMGS hasn’t showed up yet to say that the PS4 system settings have an accessibility section for remapping the controls for any game.

*looks at the post from banjo bear right above yours* Well I mean, someone already had that covered xD I'm not fond of the idea of having to remap my entire setup from the base of the console, just to accommodate one game though. I was mainly just curious if any game had ever had that feature, as I can't recall ever seeing it in game. Alternate layouts sure, but not just remapping. The fact that the PS4 lets you do that is cool, but I don't like the idea of having to reset it any time I switch games I guess? *shrugs* Honestly I don't have too many issues with the controller layouts with games. At most I'll have like 1 button that is a bit wonky for my tastes, but I can usually adapt. Or it's an issue like @Dirty Hipsters where the problem involves a playstyle that I never actually attempted, so the problem never manifested for me personally.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The God of War games.

I already beaten Chains of Olympus, 1, and 2. The last of which was on Hard Mode.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Sooo, are you going to Ghost of Sparta, III, Ascension, or 4 next? If it's the fourth game, let me know.
I don't have a PS4 so I don't have GOW 4.

Playing Ghost of Sparta and so far I feel other weapons and magic spells in this game are at their most useless.

And I have seen enough of 4 that I can safely say that "its just not GOW anymore"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I have seen enough of 4 that I can safely say that "its just not GOW anymore"
I wouldn't go that far. A different perspective yes, but it still God of War. Still needs a jump button for the next game though. You should see some of the combo vids from the user named Smvr.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I wouldn't go that far. A different perspective yes, but it still God of War. Still needs a jump button for the next game though. You should see some of the combo vids from the user named Smvr.
But God of War never had grinding for crafting materials.