Is Halo originally a Doom Rip off?

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Hello friends,

I found similarities in both franchise. i mean take a look at this

No Caption Provided
This is original Doomguy wear green armor.

and then look at this

No Caption Provided
This is Haloguy wearing almost similar armor.

They both are hailed as some kind of messiah in thier games as they save humans from Demons/Aliens. When Doomguy Shoot Demons, Haloguy Shoot pokemon looking aliens. both have thier own signature weapon like shotgun and assault rifle.

when we look at games, the concept is similar. Alien invasion/Demonic invasion, saving humans from threats.

I feel like Halo either is heavily inspired by Doom or just rip off.

Doom series basically evolved yet Halo is combat devolved now with infinite looking very outdated.

Masterchief and Doomguy are exact same characters imo.

does anyone believe Halo and Masterchief rip off from Doom and Doomguy?

lets discuss.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Never thought of it that way since the genre is saturated with macho badasses but yeah, wouldn’t doubt it took cues from id’s classic.

Originally though it wasn’t even supposed to be an FPS.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That has got to be one of the biggest stretches I've ever seen.

"Haloguy Shoot pokemon looking aliens" What even is this?

"when we look at games, the concept is similar. Alien invasion/Demonic invasion, saving humans from threats." You know, the world's most unique and original concept for a game...

Compare the stories and they're not even remotely close. The only similar thing is that both games are a FPS

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The similarities you laid out are so vague and generic, they could literally apply to 99% of all FPS titles. Doom guy has two arms and so does Master Chief; how deep does this rabbit hole go, huh?
Wouldn't be a B-Cell thread without extreme levels of overreaching and vague comments in order to show a dissenting opinion towards a popular franchise he doesn't like because it's not exactly like Doom. There was a time B-Cell actually made a few quality threads that got some solid discussion value, and I was impressed. I praised it too. Then it was like the Twilight Zone kicked in again and it's back to this.

While we're at it, Master Chief has two legs as well. And uses a GUN. How did people not realize they were playing Doom all along?

Slightly more on topic... There can be discussion value for topics like this if it was worded better. "What gameplay characteristics did -insert franchise- use or was inspired by -insert older franchise-." Maybe that would be a better way to make a topic, rather than everything having to be about ripping off Doom

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The similarities stop at "contains armoured man". DOOM's a fast paced game, focused on using mobility to undertake sustained firefights with enemy infantry. Halo's slower, and uses more combined arms and twitchy shooting. DOOM has maze like levels, Halo has a linear series of combat arenas. DOOM is science fantasy, with one man fighting demons from actual Hell. Halo is science fiction, with a whole human army fighting an army of aliens and a horde of aliens. Doomguy is a normal human shaped by his experiences. Dr Halsey created Chief in a lab, along with a small but still substantial number of other SPARTAN IIs. DOOM's arcadey action didn't really fit into the immersion focused 2000s shooter landscape, and they unsuccessfully tried to make it work in DOOM 3. Halo occupied a comfortable niche in the 2000s, fitting in nicely between the huge maps of Battlefield and COD's more limited scope. DOOM nicely caters to the modern demand for faster paced action, while Halo and it's contemporaries are struggling to find their feet in a market dominated by hero shooters and battle royale. Halo's a jack of all trades, which can cover a huge range of gameplay styles depending on the map and game type you choose, but the current demand is multiplayer games that focus on one specific type of play.

Reactions: gorfias and Hawki

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Wouldn't be a B-Cell thread without extreme levels of overreaching and vague comments in order to show a dissenting opinion towards a popular franchise he doesn't like because it's not exactly like Doom. There was a time B-Cell actually made a few quality threads that got some solid discussion value, and I was impressed. I praised it too. Then it was like the Twilight Zone kicked in again and it's back to this.

While we're at it, Master Chief has two legs as well. And uses a GUN. How did people not realize they were playing Doom all along?

Slightly more on topic... There can be discussion value for topics like this if it was worded better. "What gameplay characteristics did -insert franchise- use or was inspired by -insert older franchise-." Maybe that would be a better way to make a topic, rather than everything having to be about ripping off Doom
Masterchief is space marine so is Doom guy as he was original.
Doomguy lable as the choosen one who destroy demons. so is masterchief although he fought with other marines.

There wont be a Halo without Doom. There wont be Masterchief without Doomguy since masterchief is inspired by Doomguy. instead of shooting demons, he shoot pokemon.

beside I quite liked Halo CE. its a fine game except flood parts, rest of games in series went full MP as they progress worst. Infinite i had hope for it then reveal trailer was very underwelmingly with 360 graphics, cartoon villain thanos who is "hahah ho ho hee i am bad".

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Man it feels like forever since we've seen a B-Cell thread. Nice!

Anyway....No B-Cell not a chance. Halo is worse than doom in every single way.

I'm sure because it's an FPS there is some inspiration, but it's not likely anything beyond that.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
instead of shooting demons, he shoot pokemon.
Does anyone else remembering playing Halo and going around shooting Pikachu in the face and Pidgey's out of the sky, or am I thinking of something else?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Does anyone else remembering playing Halo and going around shooting Pikachu in the face and Pidgey's out of the sky, or am I thinking of something else?
I think he's taking a jab at the Grunt enemy type which early in the franchise were largely cartoonish, comic relief with their in-game commentary and the ease with which they're generally dispatched. But, y'know, anything to denigrate the value of something you don't like over something you do.

Next thread: "Is ketchup just tomato jizz passing itself off as a french fry flavor enhancer?"

EDIT: and I was correct in my assumption that his issue is with the Grunts.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Man it feels like forever since we've seen a B-Cell thread. Nice!

Anyway....No B-Cell not a chance. Halo is worse than doom in every single way.

I'm sure because it's an FPS there is some inspiration, but it's not likely anything beyond that.
You know what? I was actually thinking that we hadn't had one of these threads in a while. I actually missed it:)

To answer your question. Yeah, maybe. But I wouldn't say a rip off so much as influenced by. You see it a lot of new media influenced by the old in all media you consume. For example, Black Sabbath influenced Metallica who influenced Trivium. In this case yeah, I would say Doom influenced Halo as it did many FPS, but to say it ripped it off is unfair.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So fuck it, I'm going to take this premise seriously;

There are indeed quite a few similarities, but I think they lie in the 'generic shooter' category of things rather than one ripping the other off or vice versa. They both wear green armor because a) it's an easy way to explain why our guy can take a few dozens rockets to the face without dying and b) because they are, in their respective games, soldiers, and rather than going through the trouble of rendering actual camo on them, it's just easier to go with one whole color.

The 'baddest assest motherfucler to pick up a gun' is because, through gameplay, you tend to be the only person actually doing anything to the enemy forces.

'Guy faces off against invasion' is an extremely generic game premise as it's a good way to immediately set up the major players in the story.

Also, as for innovation, while I haven't really played any Halo games, saying Doom is constantly evolving is a bit a of a stretch, what with all games in the Doom series before 3 being the same games with slight variations in enemies/weapons, and then 2016 and Eternal kinda doing the same thing too.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Meh. Both crib liberally from Aliens and Starship Troopers, so in a contest of who copies who, those two win, especially the latter. Tho in the case of Doom, it also rips off Dungeons & Dragons, early 90's metal and a whole slew of other things.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, what Chimpzy said.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Hey B-Cell. Master Chief beat Doom Guy in Death Battle.

Though this was made before Doom 2016 was ever made,if it was made now Doom Guy would win because of popularity and his recent power boost.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I dunno dude. That can be totally coincidental, that they both have legs and arms and guns. I'm not satisfied with such pedestrian and shallow comparisons. What you need to convince me: do they both have a penis? Please cite directly from their respective canon as to proof of either having a penis, this is 2020 and we can't simply assume what equipment a person is toting based on personal pronouns.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
This is Haloguy wearing almost similar armor.
ALMOST similar armor. ALMOST. SIMILAR.

So basically, you started a topic in which you admit that the armor is not similar, it's ALMOST similar. And that's actually the best point that you have. The rest of the stuff you mentioned is much worse.