Not open for further replies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
But I am heavily dissapointed in Spector, as I thought you of all people would understand.
My objection is purely for the killings. I do not condone the kid being out there at night, with a weapon, carrying the weapon while underage, or trying to take the law into his own hands. But people chasing him down with intent to harm and kill is also not right. He deserves to be charged for the crimes he did commit, which may very well be murder of the first person he shot if the details come out that way, but the other two are clearly self-defense.

Related, but you live in Michigan right? This hasn't spilled over into your state yet has it?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
My objection is purely for the killings. I do not condone the kid being out there at night, with a weapon, carrying the weapon while underage, or trying to take the law into his own hands. But people chasing him down with intent to harm and kill is also not right. He deserves to be charged for the crimes he did commit, which may very well be murder of the first person he shot if the details come out that way, but the other two are clearly self-defense.

Related, but you live in Michigan right? This hasn't spilled over into your state yet has it?
Wait... so the mob was going to kill him? Are we just making stuff up again?

There has been plenty of mobs at these protests. They have hunted down and captured people. And there has been some people being beaten up. That doesn’t mean this mob was out to kill him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
He deserves to be charged for the crimes he did commit, which may very well be murder of the first person he shot if the details come out that way, but the other two are self-defense.
They were trying to defend other people. My response is the same as before. If he really wanted help, he should have done nothing, but stayed the fuck home in Wisconsin.

People already know, but there is no rioting going on. And him doing that shit has not stopped protestors here, in the states, or across the globe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kae and Xprimentyl

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Wait... so the mob was going to kill him?
What's important is what he was thinking (or what a reasonable person would be thinking in that situation). If he thought that the mob was going to kill him, then it could be considered self-defense.

I heard of a case where there was a mob surrounding, bashing, and rocking a guy's car, so he floored it an ran over some people. It was ruled as self-defense.

Would you trust a mob not to kill you?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
What's important is what he was thinking (or what a reasonable person would be thinking in that situation). If he thought that the mob was going to kill him, then it could be considered self-defense.

I heard of a case where there was a mob surrounding, bashing, and rocking a guy's car, so he floored it an ran over some people. It was ruled as self-defense.

To quote me earlier in the thread

He went across state lines armed specifically because he wanted to fight violent protesters. He went specifically into a dangerous situation knowingly, and went because it was a dangerous situation. Self defense does not apply.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
They were trying to defend other people. My response is the same as before. If he really wanted help, he should have done nothing, but stayed the fuck home in Wisconsin.

People already know, but there is no rioting going on. And him doing that shit has not stopped protestors here, in the states, or across the globe.
Well I'm glad that nothing is happening in your neck of the woods at least.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
To quote me earlier in the thread
I don't think that whether or not he ever expected to use his weapon is relevant. People wear guns on their person all the time, perhaps because they think the world is a dangerous place. That doesn't rule out self-defense when they are used.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I don't think that whether or not he ever expected to use his weapon is relevant. People wear guns on their person all the time, perhaps because they think the world is a dangerous place. That doesn't rule out self-defense when they are used.
It does if you intentionally approach a dangerous situation. You can only use self defense pleas if you weren't intentionally approaching a situation where you knew you would be in danger.

It's normally difficult to prove this, but he crossed state lines with that gun because he wanted to use it in a riot, so he can't make any claim to self defense.

Here's another fun part - apparently this kid didn't have a drivers licenses and was even ticketed for it last week.
I've seen posts saying he had been arrested for drug possession and resisting arrest, and had the charges dropped in court. I don't know how true it is though.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
He deserves to be charged for the crimes he did commit, which may very well be murder of the first person he shot if the details come out that way, but the other two are clearly self-defense.
I...don't think you understand how self-defense works.

Let me put it this way: Let's say I'm jabbing you. You respond by punching me in the nose. I deck you and then claim it was self-defense because you punched me. That's a bullshit defense, as I was the one who instigated the conflict. Indeed, if anyone has a self-defense argument in that scenario, it would actually be you, not me, as you were responding to the act of violence I instigated against you. I did not get a mulligan on self-defense when you socked me in the nose. I do not get to claim that knocking you flat was self-defense in response to that punch.

The question is not and is never whether or not I can say that any of your punches after the conflict started preceded any of my later punches. It is better characterized (if a bit oversimplified) as "who threw the first punch in a given altercation?" In playground terms, self-defense is the "he started it" of defense arguments. If I started the fight, I do not get to claim self-defense. If I provoked you into throwing the first punch, I do not get to claim self-defense. If I am harming or about to harm your or others and you attack me to stop it, I do not get to claim self-defense. And this brings us back around to the subject of discussion. Self-defense does not apply in this case because the people were trying to apprehend him in response to his shooting of someone. Therefore attacking the people trying to apprehend him is not self-defense.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Are you an accessory for running away from a mass shooter instead of charging them down?
You can't be an accessory to a crime that's being committed against you. But if a gunman was just walking into a school, fully loaded and you saw him and didn't call the police or try to stop him or warn people, you absolutely can be charged.

That's why the guard at the Parkland shooting was charged with child endangerment and neglect when he hid under his desk instead of engaging the shooter.

Now he's charged with neglect because it was his job to stop the shooter. As civilians we're not expected to stop shooters. We are however expected to report them, and failing to report a crime can lead to accessory charges. Depends on the state. In Texas is a misdemeanor to fail to report, in Ohio its a felony, etc...

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada

What's important is what the people were thinking (or what a reasonable person would be thinking in that situation). If they thought that the man with the gun who had already shot one of them was going to kill more of them, or leave then go kill other people, then it could be considered self-defense and defense of others to rush him and take away the gun.

I heard of a case where there was a man with a run shooting someone, leaving, then going to kill more people, and when other people jumped him in a group to stop him, It was ruled as self-defense.

Would you trust a man who had just shot someone in front of you not to kill you?

Reactions: Kae and BrawlMan

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
What's important is what the people were thinking (or what a reasonable person would be thinking in that situation). If they thought that the man with the gun who had already shot one of them was going to kill more of them, or leave then go kill other people, then it could be considered self-defense and defense of others to rush him and take away the gun.
You're right, it could.

One's man's thoughts don't cancel out those of another, or anything... What they were thinking has no relation to what he was thinking.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
You're right, it could.

One's man's thoughts don't cancel out those of another, or anything... What they were thinking has no relation to what he was thinking.
So, basically, best case scenario:

Dude murders a guy, then both he and the protestors feared for their lives, and both took action, leading to another death because the guy had a gun and it made it easiwer for him to act when he felt endangered.

Even in this best case scenario, the first killing makes him a murderer.

Reactions: Kae and Buyetyen

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So, basically, best case scenario:

Dude murders a guy, then both he and the protestors feared for their lives, and both took action, leading to another death because the guy had a gun and it made it easiwer for him to act when he felt endangered.

Even in this best case scenario, the first killing makes him a murderer.
Assuming that the first killing wasn't in self-defense sure. Was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.