Armed civilian, 17, shoots 2 dead during Kenosha happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Ah, nothing, I just wanted to add that, from personal experience. Like, if you shoot at the open expanse, the bullet arches down and hits the ground, it doesn't stop from the air resistance.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I saw a tweet from his lawyer that said he was with a friend from Wisconsin who also owned the guns. What I don't understand is HOW he got to be all by himself and away from his group. You may forgot but this was still a kid.
View attachment 658
I hate following through tweets so much.
To be fair though, the only thing that changes is who gets the charge for knowingle giving an underaged (and for that matter, someone they knew to be underage) a firearm they shouldn't be handling. At least if he had gotten it from home, a case could be argued that the parents gave him permission, some random friend in Wisconsin makes it seem worse.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
To be fair though, the only thing that changes is who gets the charge for knowingle giving an underaged (and for that matter, someone they knew to be underage) a firearm they shouldn't be handling. At least if he had gotten it from home, a case could be argued that the parents gave him permission, some random friend in Wisconsin makes it seem worse.
Might mean the case doesn’t get picked up by the feds, which means the cops could sabotage the investigation

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Might mean the case doesn’t get picked up by the feds, which means the cops could sabotage the investigation
Wouldn't go that far I think, fairly certain the whole 'fled the state after killing 2 people and wounding a third' will probably still count him for a fed investigation, especially if the cops on scene did let him walk away after.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
You're right, they're full of dense, squishy, tough, and in the case of bone, hard things. They're also more than 3/4' thick.
Drywall, on the other hand, is merely hard, thin, and brittle.
So explain something to me.

If a 9mm bullet, with 300 m/s of muzzle velocity can pass through 4 layers of drywall and insulation, but a .223 rifle round with nearly 1000 m/s of muzzle velocity and carrying three times as much kinetic energy can only reliably pass through 2 and then typically misses the third target because its deviated so far but on the rare occasion it hits sometimes fails to penetrate because it hits side-on, do you actually think that this translates to the pistol round being better able to penetrate a human body?

Or do you think perhaps some other ballistic effect is occurring here? Like, for example, tumbling, which again is a thing .223 rounds are designed to do.

Take a look at that guy who was shot in the elbow. Note in particular the giant hole in his elbow left by the bullet passing through. Do you think that pistol would have penetrated his elbow more effectively and posed a greater danger to anyone standing behind him, because it can penetrate 4 layers of drywall?

I know that the answer doesn't actually matter. I know that you will desperately cling to whatever justifies your belief that this white child should be allowed to shoot people indiscriminately with his toy gun. But try, just try for a second to think of this in physical terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, "reasonable". You point out that there is a line where it ceases to become reasonable by saying "Why stop there?"

"Why stop there?" Where is the line between how far one can go back to determine cause and effect?
How much clearer can the line be? What is there to question? "Reasonable" starts where culpability begins. It was Rittenhouse's decisions that lead to everything afterwards. We'll never know what would have happened had he not gone vigilante, but we DO know what happened because he DID.

The argument otherwise is that had the protesters not been there, they'd not have been shot, but do you want to go down that path? Because last I heard, while protesting can be done poorly and rioting is illegal, neither is a capital offence, much less would that or any sentence be executed by an civilian teenager.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
If a 9mm bullet, with 300 m/s of muzzle velocity can pass through 4 layers of drywall and insulation, but a .223 rifle round with nearly 1000 m/s of muzzle velocity and carrying three times as much kinetic energy can only reliably pass through 2 and then typically misses the third target because its deviated so far but on the rare occasion it hits sometimes fails to penetrate because it hits side-on, do you actually think that this translates to the pistol round being better able to penetrate a human body?
I dunno anything about guns or bullets, but that gun website says that .223 is "safer for home defense", compared to pistols and shotguns, so says the FBI. Pistol calibers penetrate the most, followed by shotguns, followed by rifles, in that order.

You wanna disagree with the FBI Mr."desperately cling"? Go for it.

How much clearer can the line be?
Not clear at all, if you have to ask "Why stop there?" apparently. Does this question have an answer?

The argument otherwise is that had the protesters not been there, they'd not have been shot, but do you want to go down that path?
Yeah, why stop just before we start thinking about the actions of the rioters?
What would have changed if the other guy hadn't fired first?
What would have changed if people didn't try to attack him?

Why focus just on what Rittenhouse did and ignore all these other people? Why stop there?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
I agree. Absolutely. This guy is the living embodiment of "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
You know, you joked earlier about preferring to be called a sociopath....But when you say extremely callous things like this, it's hard not to think that about you.

Charging after someone who is fleeing AFTER HAVING SHOT SOMEONE AND IT BEING A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION HE MIGHT KILL MORE PEOPLE IF HE IS NOT STOPPED is not defense, unless you have reason to believe that he's going to get more ammo and then come back.
Right because he CLEARLY spent all of his ammo in the first murder, and was no further threat to anyone el-

Oh woops, nope, he had enough ammo in the current magazine to proceed to kill one more person and horrifically maim a second one, and it's not impossible he had at least a second mag somewhere on his person.

CLEARLY, he was still a threat to them and many others around them.

If you have an issue with the militia, what you wanna do is call the police, not go out and fight them. This is obvious.
You mean call the police that outright thanked the militia for showing up and said via megaphone that they REALLY appreciate them?
The police that some militia people told them would "push the protestors towards them because they knew they (the militia) could handle them"?
The police that let a militia guy walk away after he opened fire on the protestors instead of, you know, arresting him for being involved in a shooting, until an investigation is done?

Oh, and let's not forget, the police the protesters are currently protesting against because once of theirs shot a guy in the back 7 times earlier that same week?

THOSE police?

^ Yes, I'm sure that the police would ABSOLUTELY take any issues the protestors have with the militia completely seriously and would tell the militia people who have no authority to "patrol" there to kindly move along and not cause issues! ^ /ExtremeSarcasmSnowboarding2020

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not clear at all, if you have to ask "Why stop there?" apparently. Does this question have an answer?

Yeah, why stop just before we start thinking about the actions of the rioters?
What would have changed if the other guy hadn't fired first?
What would have changed if people didn't try to attack him?

Why focus just on what Rittenhouse did and ignore all these other people? Why stop there?
Because the fact is three people were shot, two of which died, because another CIVILIAN took to the streets to play "cop." The day we excuse or explain away this kind of behavior, we set a dangerous precedent, one that, given the state of a nation already rending itself apart at the sociopolitical level, could very literally set our nation back 150 years with open hatred and violence.

Do you know how many gun-toting psychos are just waiting for the day they can take their arsenal to the streets with impunity? Trump has been tacitly, hell ,not even "tacitly," BASICALLY calling these people to arms since he took office, and victimizing people like Rittenhouse validates, emboldens and empowers them. You want "the facts," well, the FACT is that people like Rittenhouse need to be held accountable for their actions and not expunged because at some point during said actions, they caught up to him at the expense of other's lives..

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You know, you joked earlier about preferring to be called a sociopath....But when you say extremely callous things like this, it's hard not to think that about you.
I don't mind.

AFTER HAVING SHOT SOMEONE AND IT BEING A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION HE MIGHT KILL MORE PEOPLE IF HE IS NOT STOPPED
So, you keep saying this, but what makes you think that it's a reasonable assumption that he might kill more people? Let's pretend that you're the skateboard guy. What about this situation would make you think that he's going to attack someone else and needs to be stopped?

Is he firing indiscriminately into the crowd?
Is it looking and aiming at you? Is he aiming at anyone?
Is he heading into an orphanage?

Walk me through the thought process that would cause you, the skateboard guy, to believe that he's going to kill more people and needs to be stopped.

Because the fact is three people were shot, two of which died, because another CIVILIAN took to the streets to play "cop."
If all we needed to do is to look at the aftermath, we wouldn't need the justice system at all. There'd be no such thing as concepts like self-defense. "Oh, you killed a guy? The reasons are irrelevant. Guilty. No it doesn't matter that the other guy shot at you first. He's alive and you're not."

and victimizing people like Rittenhouse validates, emboldens and empowers them.
Oh, so we need to make an example out of him "for the greater good" and so "Trump-lovers don't take over"? Is that what this is about? It's not about whether or not this person's actions were self-defense or not, it's just preventing Trump 2020?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
“Listen, he shot a guy in the head then fled the scene still armed, clearly he wasn’t gonna shoot anybody else, nobody who kills a guy ever kills another guy until they kill another guy but who can tell when that’s gonna happen? Causality is a fiction, nothing is real, that’s why we should find my client not guilty. I rest my case.”

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
If everyone went home before the curfew this wouldn't have happened

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If all we needed to do is to look at the aftermath, we wouldn't need the justice system at all. There'd be no such thing as concepts like self-defense. "Oh, you killed a guy? The reasons are irrelevant. Guilty. No it doesn't matter that the other guy shot at you first. He's alive and you're not."
"You killed a guy." True.

"The reasons are irrelevant." Never said that.

"Guilty." Yes. I already conceded this might be a case for manslaughter; his recklessness led to him "self-defending" with fatal consequences.

He had no training, no authority. What was he doing there? Answer me this directly: why did he leave his house with a rifle and go into the thick of the violence? What was he thinking? What was his intent? Of course you'll say we [as participants in an discussion over a developing situation] can't know, but rationally, why would someone arm themselves and go towards violence? What's the most logical answer to that direct question? Just saying, I've never grabbed a rifle to run to the grocery store or post office.

Oh, so we need to make an example out of him "for the greater good" and so "Trump-lovers don't take over"? Is that what this is about? It's not about whether or not this person's actions were self-defense or not, it's just preventing Trump 2020?
Nope, I never said just make an example of him or suggested this had anything to do with my thoughts on the upcoming election; I said he needs to be held accountable for his part in this and suggested he is an example of the extreme, entitled people who think this is "their" country and they can do within it what they please, up to and including societal cleansing thinly veiled as "justice."

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It wouldn't have happened though
And if the police weren't a bunch of violent, amoral thugs there wouldn't be something to protest. We can keep kicking the can down the road, all it does is distract from the fact that 2 people were murdered by a stupid kid who wanted to play vigilante with an illegal firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.