Pet Appreciation Thread

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Meet Theo:

Strictly, he's my neighbour's cat, but he spends so much time in our garden that he might as well be ours. He would come in our house (and indeed has tried) if we would let him.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Started to post this in the ā€œGoofy Stuff You And Your Sig Other Doā€ thread, but figured it might be fitting here. Given quarantine has left us with little else to do other than stare at each other, my girlfriend and I adopted this yellow garden spider that took up residence right outside our backyard gate. We try to find insects on our patio or around the pool, half-swat them, toss them into his web, then watch in awe as nature happens. The few guests we've had are genuinely perplexed when we're so excited to half-kill a fly or beetle and toss it to this guy; quote: "you guys really do this all day?" Yes. Yes, we do. Oddly enough, weā€™ve not named him yet; heā€™s just ā€œthe spider.ā€ Suggestions?

View attachment 459
Sad to report, after recent severe storms, our seven-and-a-half legged friend has vacated his web. The flies have infested our patio with a renewed smugness and impunity. While we still swat them with equal impunity, their [near] deaths are no longer adding to the circle of life.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, what's funny about my dog is that I kind of just knew that he was going to be my dog. I walk into the county animal control shelter, and the first kennel I see has him in it, who looks up at my with one of the saddest, most pitiful faces I have ever seen...as he is squatting down and relieving himself, and since he was in basically a concrete box this meant he was just standing in a puddle of piss. I continue on up the aisle of kennels, but only make it about 3/4 of the way down the first one before I turned around and came back to his kennel.

He was in pretty rough shape when at first, both incredibly skinny and sick with kennel cough, but outside of a couple of incidents which on reflection are pretty funny (one time, after returning from a trip I took with my family I came back to my apartment, and me and a roomate who was arriving back from some errands at the same time found that, after being placed into the bathroom to seperate him from the other dog, had managed in the brief time he was alone make a 2' x 3' arch in the bottom half of the door, making the bottom half a large 'n'.

Anyway, more picture of him:
IMG951586.jpg

Here he is hanging out with a couple of my family's other dogs (I may do a post on them at some point), the bed happens to belong to the (not-so-little-)guy on the left.

20200909_232539.jpg

He loves to sprawl while resting, either like this or on his stomach/chest in more of a pancake fashion.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Dog's third birthday Sunday, trying to decide what cake to bake. He loves Wheat Crunchies, but I don't know whether they'd work in a cake.

I've made liver cake a few times, but the clean up is absolutely horrific. It's like an explosion in a Silent Hill factory. In the meat-packing district.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yeah, necro, sue me.

Anyway, while not strictly a pet per se, I've noticed that an entrepreneurial spider has set up a small web right at the lower outside corner of where our sliding glass patio door meets the frame. As someone who has had to deal with a bug infestation before, I really love this little spider, especially since it doesn't seem to be one of the venomous ones. Nothing like a natural bug deterrent.
20230729_151400.jpg

Also, dog again;
20230727_221742.jpg

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It seems Mr. Nolan thinks his litter box doubles as a toilet and a sandbox to play in. Caught him romping around in it chasing his tail and flinging litter everywhere. His punishment? A BATH. He was not happy with us afterwards, but it didn't stop him begging for attention and food like 20 minutes later.

1691415410390.png

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
ezgif.com-gif-maker-63.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker-64.jpg

Look, when they pull this position, they're ready for pets and/or play. Oh, play also involving claws if you ain't clipped or prepared for them, hah!
ezgif.com-gif-maker-65.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker-66.jpg

A precarious situation. Phone needs charging, cat needs resting, but there is no chance in hell any human could retrieve that cable without the cat identifying it as an imminent threat in need of immediate death by clawing.
2023-08-23-02-11-27-304.jpg

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The boy got himself a dog. American Pitbull Terrier. Too sleepy to be that dangerous.

View attachment 9650
I worked for a major pet-supply chain for ten years. Met hundreds of Pitties. To a one, they would rather have loved you to death than harmed a hair on your head.

The only bite incident I was ever around for was from an overstressed Golden Retriever.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I worked for a major pet-supply chain for ten years. Met hundreds of Pitties. To a one, they would rather have loved you to death than harmed a hair on your head.
I still hold a fairly strong belief that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Also, damn, seeing so many cute cats on the internet and through this thread makes me kinda miss having one... But I don't miss the responsibility or cost. Buh :c