The Greatest Game Never Made

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
A new Mercenaries game, but modeled more after the first one than the second (honestly I would love if they just remade Playground of Destruction). This means it be set in an actual war zone right off the bat, with game play like MGSV and lots of destruction and freedom to complete missions.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Star Citizen

*tumbleweed parade*

I'll see myself out. Direct any enquiries to Chris Roberts and get a lawyer for when threatens court.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Star Citizen

*tumbleweed parade*

I'll see myself out. Direct any enquiries to Chris Roberts and get a lawyer for when threatens court.
I mean, someone had to say it.

I know we're a long ways past the point of everyone caring about this but Assassin's Creed started out with this really cool idea where Desmond was using the Historical bits as Training simulations to help him unlock his Super Assassin abilities to strike some sort of Major blow against the Templars. Instead we got an endless series of Historical simulations where the present day has long since ceased to matter in any real respect and Desmond didn't even have a character arc until Revelations(if you did the animus platforming sections). 3 had some hints of Desmond finally coming into his own as an assassin but wasn't really worth the buildup.
I would have liked to see the completion of that whole character/plot arc.

And I get it, the Historical bits are by far the most interesting parts even if it's often the Theme part version. I've been quite enamoured with the fact it does allow some ability ro explore various parts of history, which has led me to tolerate the flaws of the series and individual games. However, as Yathzee once said, this is no longer a series about telling a story, it's a series about satisfying the accounting department and executives which is why the story has barely moved in close to a decade despite yearly releases and the fact the lore started out as pretty interesting conspiracy theory/ancient astronauts fluff has become a massive mess of contradictions and inconsistent logic. I was willing to give Odyssey a pass on a lot of it's more fantastical elements because the series had already been so far up it's ass on Clarke's Third law and "It's the animus" that it really wasn't much of a stretch to have mythological monsters show up for realsies.

So that aside, yeah, I would have liked to see the series have had more of a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lords of Midnight 4 - The Eye of the Moon. Honestly, it would be fine made in the style of the original two (mid-80s; the slightly miscarried early 90s third we can quietly forget about). Should take a dev or two a year or two.

Jagged Alliance - Why oh why can no-one get a new Jagged Alliance game done well?

Wizardry 9: Okay, getting 8 games done was a good run, but it deserved more. IP sold to some Japanese company, who made some hopelessly mediocre spin-offs.

Honestly, if I had a free run, I'd marry something like the Ultimate General tactical battle system (needing slightly better AI) with a good, wargame-y strategic layer and set it in Napoleonic era Europe. Or to put it another way, Napoleon: Total War except for wargamers and without the innumerable annoying flaws of the TW series.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I mean, someone had to say it.

I know we're a long ways past the point of everyone caring about this but Assassin's Creed started out with this really cool idea where Desmond was using the Historical bits as Training simulations to help him unlock his Super Assassin abilities to strike some sort of Major blow against the Templars. Instead we got an endless series of Historical simulations where the present day has long since ceased to matter in any real respect and Desmond didn't even have a character arc until Revelations(if you did the animus platforming sections). 3 had some hints of Desmond finally coming into his own as an assassin but wasn't really worth the buildup.
I would have liked to see the completion of that whole character/plot arc.

And I get it, the Historical bits are by far the most interesting parts even if it's often the Theme part version. I've been quite enamoured with the fact it does allow some ability ro explore various parts of history, which has led me to tolerate the flaws of the series and individual games. However, as Yathzee once said, this is no longer a series about telling a story, it's a series about satisfying the accounting department and executives which is why the story has barely moved in close to a decade despite yearly releases and the fact the lore started out as pretty interesting conspiracy theory/ancient astronauts fluff has become a massive mess of contradictions and inconsistent logic. I was willing to give Odyssey a pass on a lot of it's more fantastical elements because the series had already been so far up it's ass on Clarke's Third law and "It's the animus" that it really wasn't much of a stretch to have mythological monsters show up for realsies.

So that aside, yeah, I would have liked to see the series have had more of a point.
Admittidly i had to double check the comments and was surprised to see it hadnt been brought up already. Disappointing that it was left to muggins here to pick up the slack on the low-hanging fruit. You can do better, Escapist!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Admittidly i had to double check the comments and was surprised to see it hadnt been brought up already. Disappointing that it was left to muggins here to pick up the slack on the low-hanging fruit. You can do better, Escapist!
I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten Star Citizen is even a thing. Every so often I see some tidbit of news that prompts me to check in on it. And then I realize it's made no progress and is still in pre-alpha. Apparently the backers are starting to get annoyed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Another solo Ghost Rider game. I know the PS2 and GBA games are decent, but that was 18 years ago. We could benefit from a new one.

A crossover with DMC x Bayonetta x Ninja Gaiden in the RE Engine.