Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Never seen Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but you guys have convinced me to watch it.
Re-watching the series for the nth time and watching this gem; this gives you an idea of just how disgustingly narcissistic and sociopathic "the gang" can be and the absurdity you're missing out on. WATCH THIS SHOW!! NOW!!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As I recall, it did have some very PC elements to it. Dunno if it could be made today but the character thinks racism is over. It's "the Cosby decade". He finds out otherwise. He also meets a young woman whose opportunity he stole. He isn't just involved in some harmless mischief. He has hurt someone.
Yeah i seem to recall they shut down his misconceptions pretty hard in that film by the end of it.

In the flavor of this, but from the other side.

Reactions: Absent and gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah i seem to recall they shut down his misconceptions pretty hard in that film by the end of it.

In the flavor of this, but from the other side.

Oh heck no this could not be made today. Holy moly.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Freaky Fliers. In particular, Sheik Abdul.

While I'm certain that there's western audiences that might like the fact that he's little more than a puppet for the real brains of his empire, his harem (Who kick him out onto the street at the end of his campaign), I doubt the studio would want to risk getting fire bombed in today's climate and with video-games having more mainstream attention.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Don't forget the time Dee was genuinely offended that a reporter called her "surly white trash" after she called him a f*ggot for ordering a chardonnay...

I don't disagree with you at all. "The Gang" has never been a group of even remotely good people, but their ridiculousness really stepped up to eleven in the later seasons, sometimes to the show's detriment. I still love the show, but I prefer the earlier episodes when they were more focused and nuanced and not so flamboyant; it seems to be trying too hard at times. Also, I don't like the recent "gimmick" episodes, like the one where they turn black after a lightning strike while watching The Wiz, or the episode that revolved around texting at the zoo; those just came off as scraping the bottom of the barrel for "zany" ideas.
Yeah, no disagreement here (well, except maybe for the subjective opinion of kinda liking the gimmick episodes, as they give us gems like the wedding massacre episode and Being Frank), though I feel that's one of the weird things about this show is just how long it has been on the air. Given that they are successful outside of Sunny, it does look like they do this show because they want to which I respect, plus they still seem to have fun just making the show.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, no disagreement here (well, except maybe for the subjective opinion of kinda liking the gimmick episodes, as they give us gems like the wedding massacre episode and Being Frank), though I feel that's one of the weird things about this show is just how long it has been on the air. Given that they are successful outside of Sunny, it does look like they do this show because they want to which I respect, plus they still seem to have fun just making the show.
Yeah, I do like that they enjoy doing the show, and it does show; you can't pull off half the stuff they do with any real resentment one might typically discover with most other shows that go for the easy, PG-13 laughs. I'm re-watching the series again, and it surprises me how often it still gets genuine belly laughs out of me despite my having seen most episodes multiple times. Sucks that my girlfriend won't watch it with me; she's a prude and hard sell, and several times the past couple of weeks, something I saw on the show will make me laugh out of nowhere (according to her,) and trying to explain outside of the context of the show makes me sound like a psychopath and the show sound like a snuff affair.