Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Never seen that film either. Always confused it with the UK comedy, the Goons, despite not being familiar with that either, beyond knowing the name.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The Lighthouse

Well, finaly came around to watch the famed A24 studio release from 2019.
And i think i can now use it as a go to example of an "overhyped, but good" movie.
Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but if you've seen the trailer, or was around for the discourse, you probably won't be surprised at all by what happens in the movie.
Still, it's a very thoughtful piece of authorship. Worth seeing for visuals, and sound design alone. But on top of that you also get Willem Dafoe deliciously hamming it up as an adult version of Captain Knuckles from Flapjack, and Pattison, while slightly overshadowed, still holding his own, playing a sexually frustrated, angsty guy having to deal with a discomforting job and a crappy superior. And that's all really there is to it, just two dudes being dudes, with a handful of references to greek mythology thrown in.
If like me, you like the "small group of people stuck between rock and a hard place" genre of movies, it's a must see.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Tootsie.

1982 Dustin Hoffman plays an actor who is such an asshole that he can't get any gigs, so he decides to dress up as a woman and go for women's parts by acting like a tough feminist. Hoffman continues to be an asshole, but all the people he works with are also assholes so he's supposed to come off as less of an asshole I guess.

Not really a fan of Dustin Hoffman, but Bill Murrey is in the movie so I figured it couldn't be too bad. I have to say, the movie needed about 200% more Bill Murrey than was in it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Truth or Dare

Saw it because the RLM guys discussed how bad it was. And while it assuredly sucks, it's not that kind of suck that's embarrassing or bafflingly misguided as something like Wish Upon or Bye Bye Man. Yeah, it sucks, but then so do most teen slasher movies. Acting is of course subpar (the two lead girls were ok-ish I guess, relative to the material), the plot is one massive illogical conceit and the movie itself barely tries to scare you anyway. I don't know what I'm supposed to have left. PS: the Snapchat faces were dumb and it was dumb of the movie to point it out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ang Lee and Will Smith's "Gemini Man" is on Amazon Prime streaming. If I paid $12 to see it in a theater I might have been disappointed. There is not a single surprise in the movie. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the plot points of the movie. Even so, the movie does have some fun to watch action scenes. Not a bad time at all. 7/10.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Black Swan. I can just tell this movie had so much insurance tape. Portman apparently trained up to eight hours a day for six months, but there are barely any full body shots of her dancing on her toes, because seriously hurting her feet would no doubt be too big a financial risk. The shots are usually farther away, where you can't tell if it's her face or if it's been superimposed on her stunt double. I think she deserved her acclaim, though. Wouldn't keep watching it if the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. I've seen it three times in the last seven or eight years.

8/10

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Viral (2016)

Stop me if a viral pandemic from China forcing everyone to wear facemasks and stay home sounds familiar. I wish the US acted as quickly as it does in this movie, though to be fair the presence of zombies would do the trick. COVID just doesn't have that sense of drama I guess (looks at +200k death toll). The movie mostly cribs from 28 Days Later with super-frenzied zombies running around spreading infection by spurting blood though the focus narrows down to a single suburban house with 3 or 4 people in it. The bulk of it involves a teenager trying to cure her infected sister. Slither is another obvious inspiration: zombies are hosts to slug-like parasites that allow them just enough humanity to state how desperately hungry they are and sometimes beg to be put out of their misery. It's made well enough, probably the best I've seen from professional Netflix hacks Joost/Schulman, but it's too derivative to be anything other than passably entertaining.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Enola Holmes (2020)

Good flick, oddly paced compared to more by-the-book formulas, based on some YA books and it shows. (Not that that's bad)

Millie Brown performs admirably, Cavill makes a fantastic Sherlock, Mycroft is appropriately misanthropic.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Goonies

I'm 31 and had never seen The Goonies, so I'm too old for it now and there's no nostalgia in it for me either. But to the movie's credit it stays fun even if it never gets funny. A lot of it has to do with that Spielbergian breakneck pace (as far as I'm concerned he was puppeting Donner the whole way), a lot of it has to do with the bonkers nature of the plot, which throws in kids on bikes, buried pirate treasure, Indiana Jones gauntlets, comedy Italian mobsters and some kind of sci-fi/horror movie freak apropos of nothing. Things just keep being thrown in out of the blue. It's all very cheesy and corny but ultimately fun and entertaining. I will say all the screaming and falling was getting on my nerves by the end of it though. Could've done without the annoying fat kid.
It's a movie that both fun to watch but try not to think much about it. LIke.....man, how did the ship sit in a damp cave for centuries without falling apart? How did they seal it in like that? WHY WOULD THEY SEAL THEMSELVES IN? Why and how would the pirates set up a convoluted obstacle course that ran for miles when they were sealed into the cave with their ship but they could have opened the cave again by taking a coin off the scale? How do they fall into Haystack rock interior lagoon from above when they would have had to come in from underground? Where's the water coming from for the waterfalls?

The gems at the end probably didn't matter at all, because that ship alone would have been worth millions, even without the treasure. I mean, a centuries old pirate ship that is still seaworthy to the point it can sail itself unmanned and without maintenance. Historians would pay a fucking fortune for such a find.

Also the geography is fucking weird. Haystack Rock(where Willy's ship is shown sailing out of) is 25 miles from Astoria, where the rest of the film takes place. Also, Astoria isn't nearly as big as it's depicted in the film and the chase in the intro literally has them driving around in circles and then ending up 40 miles away(Astoria isn't on the Pacific, it's on the Columbia a few miles from the Pacific).

On a side note, you can visit the goonies house in Astoria to this day, but people live there and would ask you to be respectful(apparently some of the tourists are dicks and the people living there really don't appreciate it).

Still fun though.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's a movie that both fun to watch but try not to think much about it. LIke.....man, how did the ship sit in a damp cave for centuries without falling apart? How did they seal it in like that? WHY WOULD THEY SEAL THEMSELVES IN? Why and how would the pirates set up a convoluted obstacle course that ran for miles when they were sealed into the cave with their ship but they could have opened the cave again by taking a coin off the scale? How do they fall into Haystack rock interior lagoon from above when they would have had to come in from underground? Where's the water coming from for the waterfalls?

The gems at the end probably didn't matter at all, because that ship alone would have been worth millions, even without the treasure. I mean, a centuries old pirate ship that is still seaworthy to the point it can sail itself unmanned and without maintenance. Historians would pay a fucking fortune for such a find.

Also the geography is fucking weird. Haystack Rock(where Willy's ship is shown sailing out of) is 25 miles from Astoria, where the rest of the film takes place. Also, Astoria isn't nearly as big as it's depicted in the film and the chase in the intro literally has them driving around in circles and then ending up 40 miles away(Astoria isn't on the Pacific, it's on the Columbia a few miles from the Pacific).

On a side note, you can visit the goonies house in Astoria to this day, but people live there and would ask you to be respectful(apparently some of the tourists are dicks and the people living there really don't appreciate it).

Still fun though.
My assumption re: One Eyed Willy's ship would be that the cave had loads of natural salt deposits. Doesn't explain why the bottom of the ship didn't rot but fuck it, movie magic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Goonies

I'm 31 and had never seen The Goonies, so I'm too old for it now and there's no nostalgia in it for me either. But to the movie's credit it stays fun even if it never gets funny. A lot of it has to do with that Spielbergian breakneck pace (as far as I'm concerned he was puppeting Donner the whole way), a lot of it has to do with the bonkers nature of the plot, which throws in kids on bikes, buried pirate treasure, Indiana Jones gauntlets, comedy Italian mobsters and some kind of sci-fi/horror movie freak apropos of nothing. Things just keep being thrown in out of the blue. It's all very cheesy and corny but ultimately fun and entertaining. I will say all the screaming and falling was getting on my nerves by the end of it though. Could've done without the annoying fat kid.
Yeah I can appreciate it not being funny, so much as just fun. I grew up watching that film countless times, and I can't recall laughing, just enjoying the adventure of it. Sort of like the appeal of the early Potter movies. Not so much funny, just A Children's Adventure kind of thing.

Though I will defend the bits with the maid Rosalita and the older brother. Basically all of her stuff. I really loved how they framed it where her impression of their entire family is that they are insane, and she's just putting up with it because she needs the job. Like how she comes into the house and sees the older brother tied up and just thinks "ok yeah it's just one of his crazy exercise routines. I'll just go put up the groceries." "Rosalita help!!" "Yeah yeah, feel the burn big guy! Now where did I put the tomatoes?"

Plus I do appreciate Josh Brolin's willingness to be the comedy relief for the film. Young guy like him, doing things like riding on a little girls pink training cycle...after stealing it from her. He's just a very funny guy, and I appreciate his range of comedy, and willingness to play along with stuff. I think that played in very well, to him being Cable in the Deadpool film. He's just way funnier than you think. Good comedic timing.

And yes, I will defend the Truffle Shuffle, and SLOTH LOVES CHUNK!!!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched Goonies back in the day, for the last time I watched that movie was around 97 or 98. I don't remember laughing much. it was around that time when they started airing Big Trouble in Little China a lot on movie channels or TV channels.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watch Goonies 1 and 2 back in the day, for the last time I watched those movies was around 97 or 98. I don't remember laughing much. it was around that time when they started airing Big Trouble in Little China a lot on movie channels or TV channels.
Goonies 2? When did The Goonies get a sequel?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Black Swan. I can just tell this movie had so much insurance tape. Portman apparently trained up to eight hours a day for six months, but there are barely any full body shots of her dancing on her toes, because seriously hurting her feet would no doubt be too big a financial risk. The shots are usually farther away, where you can't tell if it's her face or if it's been superimposed on her stunt double. I think she deserved her acclaim, though. Wouldn't keep watching it if the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. I've seen it three times in the last seven or eight years.

8/10
I've never been a fan of the demand of actors to physically be accurate to a role, specifically if doing so puts them in actual, physical harm. Shit like extreme weight loss/gains, damaging your feet for ballet, any of it. It doesn't actually add anything to the performance, and seems to be there just to shut up the "well actually" people who nitpick shit like how many calories it takes to sustain a body mass of that type, and that so and so would be underweight now because biology. Seriously dude? Shut the fuck up, it's a FILM, that person is an ACTOR. They probably did this shot 20 times, with a full crew around. It's NOT REAL. Stop pissing and moaning about stupid details, use your fucking suspension of disbelief, and just enjoy the performance, and stop demanding dangerous requirements from actors, who will only be doing this thing for a short amount of time, and then move on to some other role.

One of my favorite examples of this kind of shit, is people who call BS when someone like Wonder Woman bench presses a semi-truck, and they cry "no way!! her arms are too small!" but then superman does the same thing and they are all ok with it "Yeah! those slightly larger muscles are TOTALLY capable of lifting a weight measured in TONS!" It's like "dumbass NEITHER of them are lifting it due to biology, they are lifting it due to super powers, shut up and enjoy the scantily clad people flying around punching space aliens or whatever."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I've never been a fan of the demand of actors to physically be accurate to a role, specifically if doing so puts them in actual, physical harm. Shit like extreme weight loss/gains, damaging your feet for ballet, any of it. It doesn't actually add anything to the performance, and seems to be there just to shut up the "well actually" people who nitpick shit like how many calories it takes to sustain a body mass of that type, and that so and so would be underweight now because biology. Seriously dude? Shut the fuck up, it's a FILM, that person is an ACTOR. They probably did this shot 20 times, with a full crew around. It's NOT REAL. Stop pissing and moaning about stupid details, use your fucking suspension of disbelief, and just enjoy the performance, and stop demanding dangerous requirements from actors, who will only be doing this thing for a short amount of time, and then move on to some other role.

One of my favorite examples of this kind of shit, is people who call BS when someone like Wonder Woman bench presses a semi-truck, and they cry "no way!! her arms are too small!" but then superman does the same thing and they are all ok with it "Yeah! those slightly larger muscles are TOTALLY capable of lifting a weight measured in TONS!" It's like "dumbass NEITHER of them are lifting it due to biology, they are lifting it due to super powers, shut up and enjoy the scantily clad people flying around punching space aliens or whatever."
But if she's already trained for it? Surely six months, up to eight hours a day, would have given her some ability that she could have performed without so much insurance tape. Yes, it DOES add something to the role, as Moira Shearer demonstrated in The Red Shoes. You see all of it.

I'm aware Shearer had significantly more ballet experience than Portman and that Portman's role was more emotional. (They were both psychological, but Black Swan was more extreme.)

What is with the hostility?

Reactions: MrCalavera

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
But if she's already trained for it? Surely six months, up to eight hours a day, would have given her some ability that she could have performed without so much insurance tape. Yes, it DOES add something to the role, as Shearer Moira demonstrated in The Red Shoes.

I'm aware Moira had significantly more ballet experience than Portman and that Portman's role was more emotional.

What is with the hostility?
If someone already has the skill set, fine. I'm talking about actively putting them through a rigorous regimen, on an unhealthy time table to fit a filming schedule. And sorry but no, I don't agree that it adds anything unique that having a double can't also accomplish.

And there is no hostility in my statement, and it's not directed at you. My comment is to the community at large. The times I used the word "you" were the generic, plural you. Not YOU Ezekiel specifically.

Reactions: BrawlMan