What are using for a Cell Phone and with what do you want to replace it with?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I finally decided upon the budget friendly Samsung A71 and went to get it. I was told if I traded in my ancient S7, I could get in a promotion, the flagship S20 Plus for even less money. So I did it. Very pretty, big screen (even these old eyes can read text in digital books upon it without reading glasses) fast, 12 Gig RAM, 128 Gig flash. I put in a 128 Gig SD card for added storage that I already had on hand. I'm advised to try "Among Us" free mobile application. I'll give it a try.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm using an HTC U12 Life.

I'd always liked HTC - reliable, good quality, good design; they also made the Google phones too until recently. But they can't get their marketing right, and that's what shifts phones rather than how good the phone is so they've been dying away, and sold lots of their design team to Google outright. Given this, I had misgivings about picking up a phone from a smartphone provider on its last legs, but it's worked out fine.

I've got to the point where I prefer to minimise my money funding China's geopolitical progress as much as possible, so that's seemingly 70% of the smartphone market out from my consideration.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
*weeps onto my S5's screen*
I thought I was doing pretty well taking care of my battery. But I found myself getting to 0% about every 20 hours. Batteries do die over time.
My new phone is going for 2-3 days before needing a recharge.
Keeping my S7 was like keeping my sneakers for too long. When I get a new pair, I'm asking myself why I hadn't done it sooner!
Hope you get to treat yourself soon.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A cheap android phone, want to replace it with a 5G capable one.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
My S6 died. At last. Good riddance! But now all out of phones and trust. Any recommendations? Cheap recommendations, of course!

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
*continues crying on S5*
It's okay, we can get through this...
*Looks over at my own S5*

It's weird though, I'm also riding around that 16gb limit too, and I've found that you can have some apps installed onto the microSD but not all of them, so it's a bit annoying to figure out. Outside of that, and the fact that the default Samsung music app doesn't work with the Android auto app, it's been a pretty solid phone that has lasted me for about 5 years already, and with the new battery and Otterbox case (the old one I had on it was falling apart) should last me another few years or so.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
It's okay, we can get through this...
*Looks over at my own S5*

It's weird though, I'm also riding around that 16gb limit too, and I've found that you can have some apps installed onto the microSD but not all of them, so it's a bit annoying to figure out. Outside of that, and the fact that the default Samsung music app doesn't work with the Android auto app, it's been a pretty solid phone that has lasted me for about 5 years already, and with the new battery and Otterbox case (the old one I had on it was falling apart) should last me another few years or so.
I haven't found any apps that will install on the SD card, so I have a constant struggle with which apps I need installed at the moment. And the performance is such that trying to use Android Auto is actually dangerous, because I've had my navigation program crash on me at critical moments in heavy traffic.

I actually plan to upgrade this month. I've got a good chunk of overtime money coming to me from the last 3 weeks of work, so I'm looking over phones that are a couple of years old that are a third of the price of when they were new, so that I can just buy one for cash. Leaning towards the Galaxy Note 9.

Actually, I'm just gonna go ahead and buy an unlocked one now, and figure out a phone plan next weekend. Can pick one up here in "very good" condition for $370, with 8 times the storage and far greater processing power. Oughtta last me a good while, even a couple of years behind the curve, since I think mobile advancements have been slowing on the hardware side?

Edit: Sorry, site doesn't like the link.

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
Pixel 2XL. It's been good to me but Google phones are pretty damn expensive so I don't know if my next one will be from them.