SPORTS BALL!!! v2.0

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
With sports happening (sort of) again, and since @tippy2k2 is dragging his feet, I felt like kicking off the sports thread. It'll probably have been pushed to the fourth page by tomorrow morning, but oh well.

NFL's Minnesota Vikings' starting quarterback Kirk Cousins eschews concern over COVID-19 stating plainly he's not worried, and "If I die, I die." tippy2k2, get your damn boy!!

I'm watching him back-pedal right now on "Inside Training Camp Live" on NFL Network. Of course, it's tantamount to what you'd expect to save face: "that's not exactly what I meant. Of course I care about player safety and will adhere to mask and social distancing protocols, I'm just not concerned about catching it myself."

Look, I know this virus is divisive, but having the national stage in America's most lucrative sport, he had to be more responsible than that or at least known not to have said it, particularly in the wake of positive test around the league surfacing recently. It's this kind of attitude, prominent players saying "they don't care about the virus," that's going to shorten the season if not outright postpone it, and I'm not having that. A winter without football? Pssh, I'll have to curl up in the nearest bear's den and hibernate with them.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm actually not all that concerned about Cousins viewpoint. Even in his initial interview, he specifies that he still does mask and social distancing and whatnot, though he personally doesn't believe masks do anything to help. He does it out of "respect" for other people who do believe in it.

I don't really give two shits if Cousins believes or doesn't believe in masks as long as he wears it. He's allowed to have a stupid opinion about Covid as long as he follows the safety guideline (which according to him at least, he is). If you've paid attention to Cousins and his attitudes in years past, this is actually exactly what I figured he'd think. He's an "If we all get sick and die, it was clearly God's Will" kind of person; this viewpoint lines up with that thinking perfectly.

Although personally, I'll be shocked if The NFL (or College Football) survives the season. A team is GOING to get decimated by Covid, I don't think that's an "if" but it's a "when". Unlike sports like baseball or basketball or hockey, you really can't just reschedule a football game as physically you can only play football so often in a short period of time before your body just plain can't handle it.

At this point, they seem to be on board with just letting the chips land where they land. If half your starting team gets Covid and now you lose your next three games because they're all in quarantine, sucks to be you. Although I 100% expect The Vikings to take great advantage of this situation. The Vikings are so used to imploding on themselves that it's just boring at this point so they need a new and exciting way to implode. Going 16-0 and utterly dominating the entire playoffs before having half your team go down right before The Superbowl because of a pandemic would be such a unique way for them to have their season ruined that I absolutely expect that to happen this year...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm actually not all that concerned about Cousins viewpoint. Even in his initial interview, he specifies that he still does mask and social distancing and whatnot, though he personally doesn't believe masks do anything to help. He does it out of "respect" for other people who do believe in it.

I don't really give two shits if Cousins believes or doesn't believe in masks as long as he wears it. He's allowed to have a stupid opinion about Covid as long as he follows the safety guideline (which according to him at least, he is). If you've paid attention to Cousins and his attitudes in years past, this is actually exactly what I figured he'd think. He's an "If we all get sick and die, it was clearly God's Will" kind of person; this viewpoint lines up with that thinking perfectly.
Yeah, I'm not taking an issue with how he thinks or feels personally; I'm taking issue with the fact that he broadcasted it, put it out there to give the league pause that others might feel the same way and not take this issue seriously. Imagine if you ran a tandem skydiving school, and one of your instructors appeared on television promoting your business and said "I've got all the faith in the world in the primary chutes; the safety chutes are unnecessary and wearing them is stupid, but I'll begrudgingly pack them if it makes people feel better. But if I die, I die. No biggie."

Although personally, I'll be shocked if The NFL (or College Football) survives the season. A team is GOING to get decimated by Covid, I don't think that's an "if" but it's a "when". Unlike sports like baseball or basketball or hockey, you really can't just reschedule a football game as physically you can only play football so often in a short period of time before your body just plain can't handle it.

At this point, they seem to be on board with just letting the chips land where they land. If half your starting team gets Covid and now you lose your next three games because they're all in quarantine, sucks to be you. Although I 100% expect The Vikings to take great advantage of this situation. The Vikings are so used to imploding on themselves that it's just boring at this point so they need a new and exciting way to implode. Going 16-0 and utterly dominating the entire playoffs before having half your team go down right before The Superbowl because of a pandemic would be such a unique way for them to have their season ruined that I absolutely expect that to happen this year...
Sadly, this is where I'm at as well, though I hate t admit it. I mean, if COVID is spread during training camp, imagine when you've got 12 guys, potentially from dozens of other states and conditions, dog-piled on each other 150 times per game, spit, sweat and blood flying everywhere... yeah, it's probably gonna hit the league and hit hard.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, I'm not taking an issue with how he thinks or feels personally; I'm taking issue with the fact that he broadcasted it, put it out there to give the league pause that others might feel the same way and not take this issue seriously. Imagine if you ran a tandem skydiving school, and one of your instructors appeared on television promoting your business and said "I've got all the faith in the world in the primary chutes; the safety chutes are unnecessary and wearing them is stupid, but I'll begrudgingly pack them if it makes people feel better. But if I die, I die. No biggie."
He was asked a question though and he just answered it. We can't scream to athletes that they need to speak their mind and give non-canned answers in their interviews and then crucify them if the answer they give isn't the "right" answer.

This is also one of those kind of nontroversy stories that happen because people read the Headline (Minnesota QB says "if I die, I die" to Corona!!!!) without reading the actual story or context behind what he was saying ("I will take all the required safety treatments because I know there are people around me who are very worried about this virus but for me personally, if I die from this, it was God's will and I know He has a plan for everyone").

Would I prefer if Kirk Cousins came out and said "Yo, this is serious y'all so take it seriously". Of course, I'd much rather everyone listen to medical science rather than some random conspiracy theorist on Twitter saying it's all a hoax. But as long as he follows the safety guidelines, I don't really care all that much his own personal opinions on said guidelines.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

I still don't expect the season to go all that smoothly but for the time being...

FOOTBALL'S BACK BABY!!!!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I still don't expect the season to go all that smoothly but for the time being...

FOOTBALL'S BACK BABY!!!!
At this point, I'll take whatever I can get for as long as I can get it, but I agree, if we make it to mid-season, I'll be shocked. Unless, of course, they just deep dive into their depth charts and "next man up" it as starters succumb to COVID-19. Between that potential and the lack of a preseason, we could mess around and get a really interesting season, i.e.: a Raiders vs Bengals AFC Championship game anyone?

Reactions: tippy2k2

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

Time to think of an alternate timeline where the Bears either picked up Mahommes or Watson.

Also enjoyed the little link in unity early in the game from the youtube comments other people not so much.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Time to think of an alternate timeline where the Bears either picked up Mahommes or Watson.

Also enjoyed the little link in unity early in the game from the youtube comments other people not so much.
Yeah, I like the teams meeting on the field too. We'll probably see a lot of stuff like that this season. I just hope it doesn't dilute the message.

It was a surprisingly clean game. I expected with a lack of a preseason, there'd be some sloppy play and general lack of cohesion, but everyone seemed to be operating on all cylinders. What was it, like 3-4 penalties altogether? But that jump that JJ Watt had was hilarious; he got to Mahomes before the center ever snapped the ball! That's the kind of stuff I was expecting to see last night, but not from a veteran! XD

Also, rookie Clyde Edwards-Hilaire? That little scrappy bastard, c'mon, Chiefs, can you save SOME talent for the rest of the league, Jesus. They've got the best quarterback EVAR and weapons everywhere; every play becomes an RPO. They just seem to score at will. We could be looking at the next New England-like dynasty, and I don't like it, particularly since my 49ers are starting to come into their own again...

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Man, only two weeks in, and my 49ers are dead in the water; our season is likely done. We managed to put the hurting on the Jets, winning 31 to 13, but we suffered for it; multiple injuries to key starters basically crippled us going forward. The list of names almost sounds like we were being hunted: Garoppollo, Kittle, Sherman, Thomas, Mostert, Bosa, Ford… shit on a stick, we’re fucked. Guess it’s back to cheering against the Cowboys and Seahawks… But oh, yeah, about that…

What in every fuck, Atlanta Falcons?? First of all, how did you allow the Cowboys to mount a come back like that? Second and most importantly, WHY THE HELL DIDN’T YOU JUMP ON THAT DAMN BALL AFTER THAT ON-SIDE KICK??!? Hands down, that had t have been one of the most bone-headed plays in NFL history. On-side kicks are acts of desperation; they rarely work, and you can see them coming from a mile away; why everyone on the Falcons literally stood there and watched as that ball bobbled on the ground in front of them until the Cowboys jumped on it is beyond reason. I’ve watched the video below a dozen times, and the best I can fathom is the Falcons collectively didn’t understand the rules for on-side kicks; nothing else makes any sense.

EDIT: apparently this site isn't allowed to shows NFL videos...

And the Seahawks bested Cam Newton and the Patriots in a shootout. Had it been any other team than the Seahawks, I’d say it was a great game.

So in a single day, my team is hobbled and the two teams I hate more that most things won in incredulous fashion. Thanks, Obama.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
*Thread basically about football*

So how about those sticks and pucks, eh?

Personally have no horse in this race (the Blackhawks already got eliminated in round 1 of the playoffs I believe), though I do hope Tampa wins just because I don't think they've won a cup yet even though I lean more towards Dallas in general.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Man, only two weeks in, and my 49ers are dead in the water; our season is likely done. We managed to put the hurting on the Jets, winning 31 to 13, but we suffered for it; multiple injuries to key starters basically crippled us going forward. The list of names almost sounds like we were being hunted: Garoppollo, Kittle, Sherman, Thomas, Mostert, Bosa, Ford… shit on a stick, we’re fucked. Guess it’s back to cheering against the Cowboys and Seahawks… But oh, yeah, about that…

What in every fuck, Atlanta Falcons?? First of all, how did you allow the Cowboys to mount a come back like that? Second and most importantly, WHY THE HELL DIDN’T YOU JUMP ON THAT DAMN BALL AFTER THAT ON-SIDE KICK??!? Hands down, that had t have been one of the most bone-headed plays in NFL history. On-side kicks are acts of desperation; they rarely work, and you can see them coming from a mile away; why everyone on the Falcons literally stood there and watched as that ball bobbled on the ground in front of them until the Cowboys jumped on it is beyond reason. I’ve watched the video below a dozen times, and the best I can fathom is the Falcons collectively didn’t understand the rules for on-side kicks; nothing else makes any sense.

EDIT: apparently this site isn't allowed to shows NFL videos...

And the Seahawks bested Cam Newton and the Patriots in a shootout. Had it been any other team than the Seahawks, I’d say it was a great game.

So in a single day, my team is hobbled and the two teams I hate more that most things won in incredulous fashion. Thanks, Obama.
My heart goes out to the ATL Falcons fanbase that is just painfull. Like I was expecting the bears to blow their lead but they some how didn't butt fumble it. Now the Bears and Falcons play this week to see who can be true masters of blowing a lead.

Now that Seahawks and Pats was greatness. The Patriots piss me off and I am conflicted. I have been hating this team for 20+ years but I love Cam Newton and I love to watch him work and I am mad that bastard Belichick got him for lent and pennies found between the couch. THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!!!!

Also the Las Vegas Raiders might actually be contenders. Oakland in shambles.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My heart goes out to the ATL Falcons fanbase that is just painfull. Like I was expecting the bears to blow their lead but they some how didn't butt fumble it. Now the Bears and Falcons play this week to see who can be true masters of blowing a lead.

Now that Seahawks and Pats was greatness. The Patriots piss me off and I am conflicted. I have been hating this team for 20+ years but I love Cam Newton and I love to watch him work and I am mad that bastard Belichick got him for lent and pennies found between the couch. THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!!!!
That reminds me, I have a bar buddy whose primary team is the Patriots with the Falcons as a close second. Haven't seen or heard from him in months since the shutdown; might need to check in as he and his wife are borderline fanatics when it comes to these teams. This could easily have led to a domestic murder-suicide or a suicide pact-type of situation; I'm worried now...

Also the Las Vegas Raiders might actually be contenders. Oakland in shambles.
Yeah, I didn't see last night coming at ALL, particularly given how the game started. I could tell The Saints got rattled when the score gap closed and they got sloppy on every side of the ball. Did you hear the stat? The Saints are the only team to surpass 200 penalty yards within their first 2 games this year, and that was mentioned during the game last night in which they hit something like 130 yards ALONE. Sad thing is, I can't really call it bad officiating like I'm sure fans would; pretty much every call was legit upon review. Nit-picky on the refs' part? Sure. But "bad" calls? Not so much...

Sadder still, we can't even say the Raiders looked all that great. They didn't look bad by any stretch; they looked more like a competent team that capitalized on big moments than they did a dominant team that operated methodically and strategically for a full 3 hours. Some could argue those aren't mutually exclusive (I'm one of them,) but I'll have to see them play a few more games before I decide if they're a legit threat in and to the AFC West (they play the Chiefs twice a year, after all.)

And for whomever might care, below is the hit list of my 49ers found in the possession of those know for their connections to North Korea, China and Russia:

1600797067399.png

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My man, Valtteri Bottas, won the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix!!

Why was this win significant? Bottas drives for Mercedes, and this season in particular, he’ s been relegated to second fiddle behind his teammate, Lewis Hamilton who’s basically the runaway, overall points leader having won 6 of the last 10 races while Bottas finished 2nd or 3rd, if he made the podium at all. Well, this has led to Bottas receiving a lot of criticism and accusations that the team favors Hamilton over him, i.e.: he might be asked to block for Hamilton instead of racing to win or he might be asked to pit when he closes the gap presenting a threat to Hamilton. Some have accused Bottas of being soft, too obedient, asked to quit if he’s “not going to really race.” Well, Sunday, he silenced those critics in a very direct way over the team radio at race finish as he was taking his victory lap: “I’d like to take this moment to thank my critics: to whom it may concern, fuck you.” I LOST it; this was such a baller move! This wasn’t an ill-informed social media post he’d later go on to apologize for, no; this was in the moment and he has remained entirely unapologetic.

1601393021874.png

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yup and funny enough, this was a "little" outbreak (in the sense that it only affected one team it seems. The Vikings played The Titans but they only played like they had Corona and therefore were worthless, they didn't actually have it! Ha haaaa.... *sobs*)

Right now this is about their best case scenario when it comes to Corona in that only a handful of Titans seem to have it and no "BIG" names. But we're only inbetween Week 3 and 4, lot of time left in this ballgame...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yup and funny enough, this was a "little" outbreak (in the sense that it only affected one team it seems. The Vikings played The Titans but they only played like they had Corona and therefore were worthless, they didn't actually have it! Ha haaaa.... *sobs*)

Right now this is about their best case scenario when it comes to Corona in that only a handful of Titans seem to have it and no "BIG" names. But we're only inbetween Week 3 and 4, lot of time left in this ballgame...
I know, but it had to start somewhere, and as cases continue to rise in the US in general, I can only imagine the microcosm that is the NFL will be no different. Thankfully all of my Niners' starters are in non-COVID ICUs with various tears and strains... This might actually be God's will. Take the 49ers out of the game with injuries while you heathenous, non-Niner savages spread disease amongst yourselves making us the de fact 2020 Superbowl champs?? A boy can dream...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity...?
To be fair, at least this most recent time, it didn't fail because of itself; it was actually pretty good, but COVID-19 bit it in the ass. I could see it working again given a fair shake.