Netflix facing indictment from Texas grand jury over "Cuties"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think we can all agree that children are horrible and should be kept in the basement till they are 26. Then they can be released into the world, bleary eyed and with a single cup of coffee for companionship.

Reactions: Kwak

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Is it reasonable to assume that despite good, or atleast unharmful intentions, the director failed, and made a movie that can be as attractive to creeps as those little beauty pageant contests?

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think we should just not allow children to appear in any form of media at all. And heck, let's keep 'em out of public spaces too, just to be safe. The world will be a much better place when nobody has to worry about setting eyes on someone under the age of 18.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Is it reasonable to assume that despite good, or atleast unharmful intentions, the director failed, and made a movie that can be as attractive to creeps as those little beauty pageant contests?
No, I cannot agree to that at all. If anything, they attempted to make religious extremists abuse somehow excusable or some BS, when it is anything but. I don't think this movie was made attractive to creeps either, and see that as a pretty stupid interpretation of it, as that really has no impact on their intentions, and see that entire narrative as being pretty manufactured tbh. It honestly doesn't make sense to even view it like that from actually viewing it..

They didn't try to make their dancing appeal to creeps, they tried to make it look somehow "bad or wrong" to justify the religious physical and emotional abuse of the children for the purpose of religious indoctrination. Like " Oh the horror of kids dancing and having fun!, It is so evil, it must be stopped and they somehow deserve to be punished because it is so terrible a thing to do that they deserve to be shamed and humiliated".. Yea. That was the nauseating, body shaming abuse excuse vibe I got from this, not that it was made for pedos.

Last edited:

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I think we should just not allow children to appear in any form of media at all. And heck, let's keep 'em out of public spaces too, just to be safe. The world will be a much better place when nobody has to worry about setting eyes on someone under the age of 18.
I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't I'll write up a short summary of my thoughts on the matter.

The main reason to have children in movies and media is the same reason we want people of colour, trans people, women, non-binary, differently-abled, and so on in movies. Because representation and acknowledgement is important. It shows not only that the person depicted and similar persons have value, but also allows us to insert ourselves in the role and see the world through the eyes of someone like us but in a different situation.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't I'll write up a short summary of my thoughts on the matter.

The main reason to have children in movies and media is the same reason we want people of colour, trans people, women, non-binary, differently-abled, and so on in movies. Because representation and acknowledgement is important. It shows not only that the person depicted and similar persons have value, but also allows us to insert ourselves in the role and see the world through the eyes of someone like us but in a different situation.
That isn't the main reason to have children in movies, the main reason is to tell a story. Representation and acknowledgement is the reason why you do interviews on them or having them in commercials. Books, movies, ect are about the actual content here. We want representation in both but we do that by having a variety of points of view. This is just one of those points of view. Some people seem to think the girls point of view going through these things shouldn't be told or something.

This movie was to tell the story of what it is like to be a girl growing up in between worlds with a religious family who physically and emotionally abuses you and having hip hop dance as an escape from that, but even then you can't really escape it because you have religious zealots abuse and humiliate you in public as well as in your own home so what is the point? That a girl cannot even be herself or express herself without someone trying to police every aspect of her life and body shame her and expect her to abide by their religious modesty standards. That is how the story pretty much looked to me. Pretty sad tbh.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
In the case of Cuties, children shouldn't be watching it, but I assume you're speaking generally.

I don't think that representation matters. I can insert myself into Captain America as much as I can Wonder Woman and Black Panther. In games where you can customize your character, I don't make them look like me, I make them as different as possible.

Who were the main demographic for Mario games? People who looked like Mario?

If you buy something just because the person on the cover looks like you, you might have some kind of narcissistic disorder.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The parts that children shouldn't be watching is the physical and emotional religious abuse by her family, and the audience as that was pretty disturbing. The girls can watch the dancing, as there is no issue with that, they likely see/ do more just hanging out with friends.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Shouldn't the director of the film and other folks who worked on it also be facing this indictment in some way?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Shouldn't the director of the film and other folks who worked on it also be facing this indictment in some way?
No, because this is just a toothless move by the religious zealots here in Texas who just do this every so often to appease their evangelicals who think it is their purpose to impose their beliefs onto everyone else.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
You would have to contact France about that, because they aren't American. The only American entity involved in this is Netflix, who can only blamed for distribution.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You would have to contact France about that, because they aren't American. The only American entity involved in this is Netflix, who can only blamed for distribution.
While at the same time, they hold dance competitions here in Texas with girls wearing less than these girls were in the movie as well as the same dance moves. But hey, it is okay when they do it, right? When I was growing up there was a competition every weekend or every other weekend nearby. They usually rotated them between different venues and event holders so they would not have their events on the same day.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
While at the same time, they hold dance competitions here in Texas with girls wearing less than these girls were in the movie
I think this is an exaggeration.

I took dance too, and everybody was always appropriately covered. Skin wasn't shown just for the sake of showing skin, it was always tasteful and practical, and fit the theme, as far as I can remember.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I think this is an exaggeration.

I took dance too, and everybody was always appropriately covered. Skin wasn't shown just for the sake of showing skin, it was always tasteful and practical, and fit the theme, as far as I can remember.
No it really isn't. Did you watch the videos posted in this very thread? That IS what they wear. Many of these girls just wear what amounts to bikini tops and granny panties. When did you take dance? This has been going on for ages.. Considering they even wear these outfits in the Bible Belt, I can't imagine anywhere else would be more prude than here.
Kaycee here has now grown up to become an incredible dancer..

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No it really isn't did you watch the links in this very thread?
*looks at page 1 and 2* no, I haven't. Apparently, I am very late to this particular party. I thought this was the main "cuties" thread.
*looks at your thumbnails on page 2*

Okay, it's not an exaggeration.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
*looks at page 1 and 2* no, I haven't. Apparently, I am very late to this particular party. I thought this was the main "cuties" thread.
*looks at your thumbnails on page 2*

Okay, it's not an exaggeration.
And most of these girls choose their own outfits and routines. Kaycee there not only choreographs her own routines, she has been TEACHING chorography for years now. Who the hell are we to tell an artist what she has to wear? Just let the girl do what she does best, it isn't our place to hold her back.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
In the case of Cuties, children shouldn't be watching it, but I assume you're speaking generally.

I don't think that representation matters. I can insert myself into Captain America as much as I can Wonder Woman and Black Panther. In games where you can customize your character, I don't make them look like me, I make them as different as possible.

Who were the main demographic for Mario games? People who looked like Mario?

If you buy something just because the person on the cover looks like you, you might have some kind of narcissistic disorder.
Congrats, you're probably the only person on the planet perfectly able to control and decide whether to be influences by your subconsciousness. However, we mere mortals are actually influenced on a level not directly perceptible by the world that surrounds us (ridiculous, I know). And we actually need validation and acknowledgement, which comes most easily through the familiar.
Unlike ascended beings of pure rationality like you we don't just experience the obvious story we're also influences by subtext and the implied parts of any story.

And if you're bringing up Mario in an attempt to make a statement on entertainment and art then you're both reaching and a fool.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Who the hell are we to tell an artist what she has to wear?
The adults who know better. We live in a society! We gotta reject things that don't match our standards or values.

Leotards and bikinis and such have their place, but there's a reason we frown upon those things being worn outside of certain specific contexts.
Nudist colonies exist, but nudity isn't acceptable everywhere.

Congrats, you're probably the only person on the planet perfectly able to control and decide whether to be influences by your subconsciousness. However, we mere mortals are actually influenced on a level not directly perceptible by the world that surrounds us (ridiculous, I know). And we actually need validation and acknowledgement, which comes most easily through the familiar.
Unlike ascended beings of pure rationality like you we don't just experience the obvious story we're also influences by subtext and the implied parts of any story.
You're saying that this is something subconscious, and we can't directly perceive why "representation" matters?
But you are assured that there IS an effect and that it DOES matter, despite not being able to perceive it? Why?

Are you sure you're just not speaking for yourself?
Do you have any evidence that shows why representation is important, other than anecdotes?

And if you're bringing up Mario in an attempt to make a statement on entertainment and art then you're both reaching and a fool.
How so? What's invalid about my point?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The adults who know better. We live in a society! We gotta reject things that don't match our standards or values.

Leotards and bikinis and such have their place, but there's a reason we frown upon those things being worn outside of certain specific contexts.
Nudist colonies exist, but nudity isn't acceptable everywhere.

You're saying that this is something subconscious, and we can't directly perceive why "representation" matters?
But you are assured that there IS an effect and that it DOES matter, despite not being able to perceive it? Why?

Are you sure you're just not speaking for yourself?
Do you have any evidence that shows why representation is important, other than anecdotes?

How so? What's invalid about my point?
Yea, and " Our Values" are also to not impose your beliefs upon to others. These girls are not " obscene", they are dancers. This is rated "G" and is shown during prime time television. Freedom of religion is supposed to be part of " our values" isn't it? Is this now a theocracy? These girls are fine, stop trying to tell them " Put that away dear, your Daddy has a dirty mind", you know where you can stuff that BS. Even when Kaycee wears clothes over they often seem to come up or off during her routines due the complexity of her routines themselves. She doesn't need you or anyone else for that matter trying to police her body and hold her back. Let the girl thrive and express herself how she sees fit, she is rather bad ass at it if you haven't noticed. People shouldn't be trying to bring her or any of these girls down, let them be, they are fine. The only " victim" here is the girls themselves when assholes think they should shame them or tell them how they should dress or who they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.