Don't use Zoom

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The app has had several major security issues already. Elon Musk has banned the app along with the NYC school district. Also, the app has very strong ties to China via the founder along with the fact that it has encryption servers in China, which means the CCP has access to any meetings that use keys created on Chinese servers.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I'm not really sure why Zoom has suddenly become so big over any other video chat during this crisis, I found it a little fiddly to use when setting it up for my family. Still prefer Skype, Discord or even Teams.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is apparently a class action going on regarding it also. Leonard French talks about it.

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
Yeah the rise of Zoom to the ubiquitous "work from home software" caught me by surprise. Skype is... well it has had a long fall from grace but I'd still trust it over Zoom atm.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Escapist forums remake allows facebook sign in. Does it have the same privacy issues as zoom? Cause it kinda sounds like the ones zoom are having are related to facebook and the sign in from it.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Escapist forums remake allows facebook sign in. Does it have the same privacy issues as zoom? Cause it kinda sounds like the ones zoom are having are related to facebook and the sign in from it.
The only thing I saw with Zoom and Facebook was that Zoom was selling data to Facebook.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm not really sure why Zoom has suddenly become so big over any other video chat during this crisis, I found it a little fiddly to use when setting it up for my family. Still prefer Skype, Discord or even Teams.
I have used a number of teleconference apps for work. Zoom is, by a mile, the best I have ever worked with. You have to balance security with functionality. I do not care how secure something is if I cannot use it! Example of a bug: I'm using freaking MS Teams with an MS vendor that insisted on that format and we couldn't share the screen!!! (We were using a web browser version rather than the app). So, I'll risk it. I'm using Zoom.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I have used a number of teleconference apps for work. Zoom is, by a mile, the best I have ever worked with. You have to balance security with functionality. I do not care how secure something is if I cannot use it! Example of a bug: I'm using freaking MS Teams with an MS vendor that insisted on that format and we couldn't share the screen!!! (We were using a web browser version rather than the app). So, I'll risk it. I'm using Zoom.
That is true. At my workplace, we ended up installing Teams on our personal smartphones as it kept crashing on the Hosted desktop we normally use. Probably not the most secure option, but much more functional than any of the alternatives we found.

Reactions: gorfias

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
We've been using MS Teams at work and it's been working quite well for us actually. Rarely had any issues with Skype either, myself.

zoey

Dec 21, 2016
Yes, Skype and Teams have worked well. I have also used Hangouts/Meet. For the largest meetings, we have always used Zoom.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Zoom really did seem to come out of nowehere to be "THE" work from home meeting too.

I'd have thought Slack would become the default for home office meeting stuff etc.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
As the above. Why were people outside of China using Zoom? There are a healthy amount of programs already available for exactly what it does, better.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
We've been using MS Teams at work and it's been working quite well for us actually. Rarely had any issues with Skype either, myself.
At my organization, we tried to use MS Teams on the cloud and were unable to share screens.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
At my organization, we tried to use MS Teams on the cloud and were unable to share screens.
I have not had such an issue myself so far. The bigger issue is that our IT fucked up and we've had a hard time making things work with people outside of our organization, which is a pretty big issue considering they want to replace all telephones with headsets and MS Teams. (Granted it's not like I had a work phone anyway whilst working from home, but you see how it would cause problems if none of our "telephones" even worked.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have not had such an issue myself so far. The bigger issue is that our IT fucked up and we've had a hard time making things work with people outside of our organization, which is a pretty big issue considering they want to replace all telephones with headsets and MS Teams. (Granted it's not like I had a work phone anyway whilst working from home, but you see how it would cause problems if none of our "telephones" even worked.)
I've heard of organizations doing away with desk phones. It's a great idea. For emergencies, you do need some old fashioned analog lines per building. But an entire telecom organization in these days? ITMT Are you sure your Teams is licensed for outside organization calls? I don't think I can call out yet either.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've heard of organizations doing away with desk phones. It's a great idea.
Right up until another organization or agency needs to speak to one of you. Also, there are some places where the IT you're allowed to have is severely limited and things like microphones and cameras are flat-out forbidden on the computers. Telecom handsets essential in those areas and are not going away anytime soon.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I've heard of organizations doing away with desk phones. It's a great idea. For emergencies, you do need some old fashioned analog lines per building. But an entire telecom organization in these days? ITMT Are you sure your Teams is licensed for outside organization calls? I don't think I can call out yet either.
As far as I know they're in the process of setting it up. Desk phones were supposed to disappear this June. Once they make the switch Teams should basically have a dialpad as a regular phone would to let you call any number you like, not just other people with Teams on their computer. My guess is there will be some initial hitches, but I'm not opposed to the idea otherwise. Especially since I'll probably just reroute my work number to my cell phone for simplicity's sake.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
As far as I know they're in the process of setting it up. Desk phones were supposed to disappear this June. Once they make the switch Teams should basically have a dialpad as a regular phone would to let you call any number you like, not just other people with Teams on their computer. My guess is there will be some initial hitches, but I'm not opposed to the idea otherwise. Especially since I'll probably just reroute my work number to my cell phone for simplicity's sake.
I dunno, this is a pretty standard setup for a VoIP system - plus from what I read Teams is just the next evolution of Skype for Business.