Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Is he still attached to do a remake of The Fountainhead? I have no plans to see that whatsoever because Ayn Rand and I go together like pure sodium and water, but it finally seems like a perfect match of director and subject matter.
Are there going to be a lot of slow cuts while Rand's chosen Author Avatar rants about makers and takers for 30 minutes?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Are there going to be a lot of slow cuts while Rand's chosen Author Avatar rants about makers and takers for 30 minutes?
You know if Snyder was that a perfect match to tackle Randian subjects in films.

Then he would make a great Bioshock movie.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Is he still attached to do a remake of The Fountainhead? I have no plans to see that whatsoever because Ayn Rand and I go together like pure sodium and water, but it finally seems like a perfect match of director and subject matter.
Does it, though? I've never actually read Rand, because fuck that shit, but somehow I don't think there are many opportunities for slow motion action sequences in Fountainhead.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'm more worried he'll try to film the rape scene, slow-motion and all.
I....don't want to know.

Does it, though? I've never actually read Rand, because fuck that shit, but somehow I don't think there are many opportunities for slow motion action sequences in Fountainhead.
Clearly you just don't have enough imagination.

Anything can be a slow motion action sequence if you want it badly enough.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I only ever read half of Atlas Shrugged (I gave up some halfway into Galt's speech)
In that case, you read approximately 85% of the story by plot, and 40% by word count (okay, that's hyperbole, but Galt's speech comes near the end, and is 50-100 pages of a 900 page book, iirc; at least, that's what it felt like).

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
In that case, you read approximately 85% of the story by plot, and 40% by word count (okay, that's hyperbole, but Galt's speech comes near the end, and is 50-100 pages of a 900 page book, iirc; at least, that's what it felt like).
Interesting fact: the longest Shakespeare soliloquies clock in at about 4 minutes based on the pace and delivery of the actor. An actor back in the early days of YouTube posted his dramatic reading of John Galt's speech. It was in 7 parts, each one between 12 and 15 minutes long.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Interesting fact: the longest Shakespeare soliloquies clock in at about 4 minutes based on the pace and delivery of the actor. An actor back in the early days of YouTube posted his dramatic reading of John Galt's speech. It was in 7 parts, each one between 12 and 15 minutes long.
You know, on the one hand brevity is the soul of wit. On the other, at least he’s explaining himself, however laboriously.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
To be fair, the former was written to be spoken, the latter to be ranted.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I only ever read half of Atlas Shrugged (I gave up some halfway into Galt's speech), but I am sure you can get some really nifty slow motion shots of trains furiously beating down the tracks. What I remember most vividly of that first half of Atlas Shrugged is how Dagny's greatest achievement is wholly unearned (she finds blueprints for an infinite energy machine in some ruined machine shop and promptly takes it for herself) and the recurring adoration for trains going fast and hard. Couple that with Rand's penchant for violent, ambiguously consensual, sex scenes (some would say they are just a wee bit very rapey) and I'm sure you've got all you need for Snyder to do his thing.
Not to turn into this a Rand thread, but doesn't a notable amount of the whole "Galt's Gulch" plot depend on the "heros" having essentially magical technology that produces unlimited resources for them so pesky things like logistics can be ignored?

Which ironically makes it kind of like Selfish Star Trek(where the Replicator makes resources essentially infinite).

I haven't read it, because I don't have the patience for it but that's what I've picked up from reading about it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Honestly I prefer Snyder to tackle Conan the Barbarian.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I think Snyder would be quite able to tackle Lovecraft to be honest. His love of dark imagery and his great sense of composition would both work well to translate Lovecraft's literary style into a distinct cinematic style.
And Lovecraft's characters don't exactly require a lot of depth, which is a bonus. Snyder could do the visuals of old weird fiction justice. He would still need to dial back his excesses. Maybe if he had Guillermo del Toro standing next to him during the production with a rolled up newspaper?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I think Snyder would be quite able to tackle Lovecraft to be honest. His love of dark imagery and his great sense of composition would both work well to translate Lovecraft's literary style into a distinct cinematic style.
Can I have a new Conan movie please? We haven't had one since the Jason Momoa one.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private