Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
All of which is material that was considered not good enough for the original cut, again I fail to see how this makes much of a difference, also the Snyder Cut of Batman V Superman was absolute garbage too, so again, why are people exited for this?
Or considered not useable for the story and direction Whedon was taking the film

Reactions: Kae

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Disregarding the fact that Snyder's never really been a particularly good director, like you guys do know this just a re-edit with new scenes of a really shitty movie that we've already seen, right?

I don't know if you guys saw the same Justice League movie I saw but that shit was so bad I highly doubt it can be re-edited and CG'd into anything good, even if's objectively better this is practically 100% guaranteed to suck.

Like I really appreciate your optimism guys, but seriously remember the already released Justice League movie you've already seen before buying into the hype and think can this really be saved by doubling it's runtime with mostly footage that was deemed as not good enough for the original release?
No, I haven't seen the Whedon Cut of Justice League and now that Snyder's has been announced, I have zero intention to. Him, along with a lot of other people involved with it, have disowned the Whedon Cut and considering Whedon is a very hit and miss writer and a very poor director, I have no doubt that his impact on Justice League was a wholly negative one.

All of which is material that was considered not good enough for the original cut, again I fail to see how this makes much of a difference, also the Snyder Cut of Batman V Superman was absolute garbage too, so again, why are people exited for this?
No, as a matter of fact the Ultimate Cut of BvS is up there with my favourite movies of the last decade, it's a brilliant movie I will always defend. It's the closest the genre has ever come to genuine introspection and social awareness. Roll your eyes at Snyder all you want for insisting his movies are made for grown ups but there is a sophistication to the writing and direction of BvS that is very noticeably absent from what, say, Marvel, Sony and Nolan have been doing with comic book properties.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
No, I haven't seen the Whedon Cut of Justice League and now that Snyder's has been announced, I have zero intention to. Him, along with a lot of other people involved with it, have disowned the Whedon Cut and considering Whedon is a very hit and miss writer and a very poor director, I have no doubt that his impact on Justice League was a wholly negative one.
The 2 styles were not compatible at all, but I'll admit I dislike Snyder's style though a lot of my issues come from the writers, since I personally feel David S. Goyer in particular is a terrible writer, a belief I will take with me to the grave.
Yes, this means I also disliked Nolan's trilogy, I don't like Marvel movies either though, I find most of them to be pretty bland, I also have a blind hatred of Disney.
No, as a matter of fact the Ultimate Cut of BvS is up there with my favourite movies of the last decade, it's a brilliant movie I will always defend. It's the closest the genre has ever come to genuine introspection and social awareness. Roll your eyes at Snyder all you want for insisting his movies are made for grown ups but there is a sophistication to the writing and direction of BvS that is very noticeably absent from what, say, Marvel, Sony and Nolan have been doing with comic book properties.
Interesting, I personally can't see why but if you don't mind explaining I would love to hear your read of the movie, like if I decide to watch it again for whatever reason it would be good to keep in mind, since I do like to see movies from different perspectives.
Also I found Logan to meet a lot of the criteria you're talking about, so I would like to hear what you think of that movie as well, since that's like a grimdark super-hero movie I actually like, but you know you don't have to humour me if you don't want to, that's fine too, I'm mostly just curious.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
since I personally feel David S. Goyer in particular is a terrible writer, a belief I will take with me to the grave.
You're not alone. I remember after The Dark Knight came out (which, for the record, I did enjoy) and heard a few interviews with Goyer and thought to myself, "Welp, as long as he's WB's main screenwriter for the DCEU, we're never going to get a Booster Gold movie. No, we can't have that. That would be fun! Fun upsets David Goyer's sleeve tattoos."

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The 2 styles were not compatible at all, but I'll admit I dislike Snyder's style though a lot of my issues come from the writers, since I personally feel David S. Goyer in particular is a terrible writer, a belief I will take with me to the grave.
Yes, this means I also disliked Nolan's trilogy, I don't like Marvel movies either though, I find most of them to be pretty bland, I also have a blind hatred of Disney.

Interesting, I personally can't see why but if you don't mind explaining I would love to hear your read of the movie, like if I decide to watch it again for whatever reason it would be good to keep in mind, since I do like to see movies from different perspectives.
Also I found Logan to meet a lot of the criteria you're talking about, so I would like to hear what you think of that movie as well, since that's like a grimdark super-hero movie I actually like, but you know you don't have to humour me if you don't want to, that's fine too, I'm mostly just curious.
I actually agree, Goyer probably is the weak link when it comes to Snyder's more recent DC movies and also, I suspect, the reason I didn't like Man of Steel very much. The guy did write the very solid "Dark City" back in the day, which is why I don't want to dismiss him as talentless entirely but I think between him, Snyder and Terrio he's the one who contributed the least to what I liked about BvS.

There is a lot of really neat stuff in Batman v Superman. My favourite probably being its interpretation of Lex Luthor who I consider the perfect supervillain for a post Gamergate world, part Mark Zuckerberg, part Milo Yiannopoulos, part Elon Musk. This smarmy rich nerd with a god complex who ends up creating an uncontrollable monster because he's obsessed with killing an immigrant. Hell, what better bad guy could you even have in 2016? Even if his performance is very over the top, he's such a great depiction of an evil capitalist. He hires a PMC to massacre civillians in Africa, he pays off politicians to get access to state secrets, he uses the media to shape people opinion of Superman, he's fantastic. Or how, it questions what the archetypes of Superman and Batman represent in the modern world. I love how they focus on this conflicted Superman, struggling with his own responsibility and whether he's a danger to the people on earth, simply by existing and how he feels guilty for being the one who brought Zod to Earth. And how they draw that parallel with him as an immigrant, and the invasion as sort of a 9/11 analogue, it's really clever. I love how it makes Batman basically a bad guy for most of the movie, not excusing or glorifying his vigilantism and paranoia the way the Nolan movies do but actually showing how it turned him into this bitter, violent man who abandonded practically all of his formerly noble principles to the point even Alfred starts to lose faith in him.

I just think there is something very artistic to the gravity he brings to these conflicts. When he has Batman and Superman face off against each other it doesn't feel like it's just two dudes in costumes having a fight, it really feels like you have this mythical conflict play out. He doesn't take away from these scenes by shoehorning cheesy one liners into them or filming them in an overly matter of fact way, he makes the big and bombastic and larger than life. He just creates this world that seems slightly more fantastical and mystical then ours and then uses it to engage with some very real themes and conflicts. I wrote it when writing about his Watchmen adaptation in a different thread, he adapts comic books like he was DeMille adapting the bible.

Oh, and I did really like Logan! I don't have all that much previous investment in X-Men and its characters, but I lovesJackman's and Stewart's performance, I liked the western inspired narrative and visuals, I did think it had a few things to say that I very much appreciated... I felt that towards the end it got a bit cheesy, I get what they were going for with the kids, and passing the torch onto a new generation, it just felt a bit silly to me, with the kids being as young as they were. It was by all means a very good movie. I didn't appeal to me stylistically quite the way BvS did but it's definitely something that stands out positively in its genre. Another recent superhero movie I really liked that Into The Spider-Verse, even though that was obviously a much more light hearted affair.

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
Will the next viral Snyder tweet say that whoever didn't like it are jealous 'cause they can't lift?

Seriously though, this trailer felt like turgid, lifeless, trash, and I really wish he'd stop abusing Leonard Cohen like that. I hate to be so negative, but I sat through Justice League, BvS, Man of Steel, Sucker Punch, and Watchmen, enough is enough with this.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Will the next viral Snyder tweet say that whoever didn't like it are jealous 'cause they can't lift?

Seriously though, this trailer felt like turgid, lifeless, trash, and I really wish he'd stop abusing Leonard Cohen like that. I hate to be so negative, but I sat through Justice League, BvS, Man of Steel, Sucker Punch, and Watchmen, enough is enough with this.
"Can't Lift?"

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"Can't Lift?"
Refers to doing a workout routine that involves lifting weight. There's are a fair amount of dumbass dudebro gym rats out there who think that manliness is basically directly proportional to how much pounds you can bench/deadlift/whatever. So, telling a guy he "can't lift" boils down to insulting their manhood. You might've seen the "Bro, do you even lift?" meme sometime. Same thing.

Fyi, not hating on lifting here, btw. I work out with weights myself.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually agree, Goyer probably is the weak link when it comes to Snyder's more recent DC movies and also, I suspect, the reason I didn't like Man of Steel very much. The guy did write the very solid "Dark City" back in the day, which is why I don't want to dismiss him as talentless entirely but I think between him, Snyder and Terrio he's the one who contributed the least to what I liked about BvS.

There is a lot of really neat stuff in Batman v Superman. My favourite probably being its interpretation of Lex Luthor who I consider the perfect supervillain for a post Gamergate world, part Mark Zuckerberg, part Milo Yiannopoulos, part Elon Musk. This smarmy rich nerd with a god complex who ends up creating an uncontrollable monster because he's obsessed with killing an immigrant. Hell, what better bad guy could you even have in 2016? Even if his performance is very over the top, he's such a great depiction of an evil capitalist. He hires a PMC to massacre civillians in Africa, he pays off politicians to get access to state secrets, he uses the media to shape people opinion of Superman, he's fantastic. Or how, it questions what the archetypes of Superman and Batman represent in the modern world. I love how they focus on this conflicted Superman, struggling with his own responsibility and whether he's a danger to the people on earth, simply by existing and how he feels guilty for being the one who brought Zod to Earth. And how they draw that parallel with him as an immigrant, and the invasion as sort of a 9/11 analogue, it's really clever. I love how it makes Batman basically a bad guy for most of the movie, not excusing or glorifying his vigilantism and paranoia the way the Nolan movies do but actually showing how it turned him into this bitter, violent man who abandonded practically all of his formerly noble principles to the point even Alfred starts to lose faith in him.

I just think there is something very artistic to the gravity he brings to these conflicts. When he has Batman and Superman face off against each other it doesn't feel like it's just two dudes in costumes having a fight, it really feels like you have this mythical conflict play out. He doesn't take away from these scenes by shoehorning cheesy one liners into them or filming them in an overly matter of fact way, he makes the big and bombastic and larger than life. He just creates this world that seems slightly more fantastical and mystical then ours and then uses it to engage with some very real themes and conflicts. I wrote it when writing about his Watchmen adaptation in a different thread, he adapts comic books like he was DeMille adapting the bible.

Oh, and I did really like Logan! I don't have all that much previous investment in X-Men and its characters, but I lovesJackman's and Stewart's performance, I liked the western inspired narrative and visuals, I did think it had a few things to say that I very much appreciated... I felt that towards the end it got a bit cheesy, I get what they were going for with the kids, and passing the torch onto a new generation, it just felt a bit silly to me, with the kids being as young as they were. It was by all means a very good movie. I didn't appeal to me stylistically quite the way BvS did but it's definitely something that stands out positively in its genre. Another recent superhero movie I really liked that Into The Spider-Verse, even though that was obviously a much more light hearted affair.
So it's nice to see your perspective in point of view. Like I said before, I thought Batman v Superman was just okay. Slightly better with the director's cut, but just average overall. I'm just glad to see somebody get their point across without insulting a person for liking or disliking a movie, unlike some other people on the internet. It's why I like movies like deadpool, most of dceu, Logan, and spider-verse. They at least try to be experiment and do something unique or different. As much as I like the marvel films most of them are blending in together. I love Aquaman and spider-verse more than the majority of the MCU movies. That even goes for infinity war and Endgame. Hell, the best highlight for me in 2019 was Nero's I'm not letting you die speech. I found that better than endgame and infinity War.

Reactions: PsychedelicDiamond

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

That Leonard Cohen song just reminded me of that embarressing sex scene in the Watchmen movie. It's like they were trying to make me laugh at this trailer.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And it will at least be more interesting than what we got. I kinda like Snyder cuz he can make style over substance look good.
Sure, but I'm not going to bother with either version, I'd rather just watch something good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sure, but I'm not going to bother with either version, I'd rather just watch something good.
I thought Justice league was just average. A majority of the animated materials better than the live action version. There were things I did like in live action JL, but it was mostly forgettable overall. I have more fun with suicide squad than Justice league.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
...You know, for half a second, I forgot that Justice League actually came out years ago?

The only reason I remembered was because I remembered that the Flash was introduced in an ensemble hero movie. XD

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And it will at least be more interesting than what we got. I kinda like Snyder cuz he can make style over substance look good.
I'm fine. He's misses more than he hits

But Whedon still isn't a movie director. He just doesn't have enough talent/experience

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Reactions: faeyr and BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Seeing the Tweet itself, the response is more people standing up for Snyder saying how much of a badass he is for saying this.
It’s a Twitter slap fight; that is so far removed from badass it’s insane. Its like Tywin Lannister said “Any man who must say I am the king, is no true king”.

That’s what this is; this tweet is Zack Snyder having to say his work is for grown ups because it utterly failed to convince anyone on it’s own merits.