Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Don't worry Revnak, you will soon be a part of the secessionist Pacific States of America!
Oh god, that you’re not wrong sucks so much.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Something is fishy. They haven't called GA and NC yet.
Presumably, a handful of districts are taking a v-e-r-y long time to count the votes.

If you look at a map of Georgia, what hasn't called is basically Atlanta and environs - we might note several of the cities across the USA are taking a long time to count. This also offers hope to Biden. Trump is 2.2% up, with 6% to count. But Atlanta, provisionally, looks like it might be about 3:1 pro-Biden. Divvy up that six percent remaining to be declared at that ratio, and Biden's won Georgia.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Presumably, a handful of districts are taking a v-e-r-y long time to count the votes.

If you look at a map of Georgia, what hasn't called is basically Atlanta and environs - we might note several of the cities across the USA are taking a long time to count. This also offers hope to Biden. Trump is 2.2% up, with 6% to count. But Atlanta, provisionally, looks like it might be about 3:1 pro-Biden. Divvy up that six percent remaining to be declared at that ratio, and Biden's won Georgia.
Atlanta hasn't counted yet?
Yep it will be very close.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Atlanta hasn't counted yet?
Yep it will be very close.
Wisconsin apparently is all about Milwuakee County. Results are being delivered to the courthouse, expect to hear in about half an hour. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Biden could overturn the deficit there, but again, maybe very close.

Michigan and PA are in play. When I first looked, I thought Trump had PA looking good. Now I'm not so sure - the Democrats apparently handed in one hell of a lot more postal ballots there (over 1.5million to 550k Republican), and if that's what's outstanding, that ~700k lead Trump currently has might disappear dramatically.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Wisconsin apparently is all about Milwuakee County. Results are being delivered to the courthouse, expect to hear in about half an hour. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Biden could overturn the deficit there, but again, maybe very close.

Michigan and PA are in play. When I first looked, I thought Trump had PA looking good. Now I'm not so sure - the Democrats apparently handed in one hell of a lot more postal ballots there (over 1.5million to 550k Republican), and if that's what's outstanding, that ~700k lead Trump currently has might disappear dramatically.
PA will also be close thanks to mail-in, yeah.
We will know only tomorrow.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
PA will also be close thanks to mail-in, yeah.
We will know only tomorrow.
In terms of WI, Milwaukee county has about 1 million people. Assuming 70% can vote and a 70% turnout, that's 500,000 voters. So a 310k-190k (62%-38%) split in that county for Biden would put him approximately level. No wonder they haven't declared WI.

Also, seeing this makes me think the source I'm reading does not present stats well. It says how many votes are counted, but these do not make sense in terms of the results they are showing and votes to come in. I think when it says "84%" votes counted, this includes non-declared results - but the results only shows declared results, so the current result standings are actually based on less than the percentage of votes it says are counted.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Biden just got ahead in WI. That and Michigan means anything will put him over.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
At this point, most likely outcome feels like Trump disputes until he gives up, Republicans keep the senate and the contested government leaves us unable to do anything about a COVID rebound and the financial crisis that comes with it, Trump spends four years saying he won and builds a media empire around it, Qanon wackos and militias fight in the streets, we’re all fucked for a while, then either there’s a Reichstag fire moment and for some reason the Republican senate majority winds up in charge of the country or Trump/his successor wins in 2024 after four years of strife and economic downturn.

Edit: there are, of course, many other terrible possibilities.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
At this point, most likely outcome feels like Trump disputes until he gives up, Republicans keep the senate and the contested government leaves us unable to do anything about a COVID rebound and the financial crisis that comes with it, Trump spends four years saying he won and builds a media empire around it, Qanon wackos and militias fight in the streets, we’re all fucked for a while, then either there’s a Reichstag fire moment and for some reason the Republican senate majority winds up in charge of the country or Trump/his successor wins in 2024 after four years of strife and economic downturn.

Edit: there are, of course, many other terrible possibilities.
I think if Trump loses, he's going spend 4 years buried in court cases for fraud, potentially obstruction of justice, and struggling to pay off hundreds of millions of dollars in loans.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
In terms of WI, Milwaukee county has about 1 million people. Assuming 70% can vote and a 70% turnout, that's 500,000 voters. So a 310k-190k (62%-38%) split in that county for Biden would put him approximately level. No wonder they haven't declared WI.

Also, seeing this makes me think the source I'm reading does not present stats well. It says how many votes are counted, but these do not make sense in terms of the results they are showing and votes to come in. I think when it says "84%" votes counted, this includes non-declared results - but the results only shows declared results, so the current result standings are actually based on less than the percentage of votes it says are counted.
Biden just got ahead in WI. That and Michigan means anything will put him over.
BIG BIG BIG WI is flipped blue

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Don't want to jinx things on Wisconsin. It's blue right now, but only by the absolute slimmest of margins - 49.4 to 49.1 by the map I'm using. And Trump still leads by about 5% in Michigan.

Nevada seems relatively safe, so there's that I guess.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
They’re gonna pardon him
Who is going to pardon him, the supreme court? Because that would be the only possible way I see that happening. Unless the senate has powers of pardon which I don't actually know if they do.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Don't want to jinx things on Wisconsin. It's blue right now, but only by the absolute slimmest of margins - 49.4 to 49.1 by the map I'm using. And Trump still leads by about 5% in Michigan.
Rumour is that most of the outstanding are urban postal votes in Green Bay that will skew Democratic. Thus I think Biden may be feeling very confident about WI.

The more I look at it, if it really is basically just Atlanta to call in Georgia, Biden's looking very good to take Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.