Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I'm mostly enjoying anons losing their minds when they figured out the websites they used for gambling on the elections ran away with their money.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I do think they are perfectly acceptable votes that should absolutely be counted regardless of the result, but I'm still going to resent a place with a recent history of election fraud deciding to write their own rules basically just to piss off the Trump campaign. They could have just as well said "sure, you can observe the election process early because we're taking extraordinary measures around the pandemic. We'll start counting and be totally transparent about the process" and everything would be excellent.
The counter-accusation is that there is good reason, especially given his rhetoric, to believe that a team of Trump observers would not act in good faith.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The counter-accusation is that there is good reason, especially given his rhetoric, to believe that a team of Trump observers would not act in good faith.
If they simply froze voting right now and just give the state to whoever is leading at this time? Trump wins.
Statistically speaking, late counts, recounts should consistently NOT change results. Yet they do, skewing to the Left. If the "red mirage" occurs and things flip to Biden, I cannot see most Trump supporters ever thinking the Biden Presidency legit.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
If they simply froze voting right now and just give the state to whoever is leading at this time? Trump wins.
Yes but that's nonsense. You count the votes and don't just stop at a time when its convenient for your particular candidate.

I think both sides are stuck now. Republicans might not accept mail in ballots making the difference, but Democrat voters also wouldn't accept ignoring mail in voting to make the difference.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Statistically speaking, late counts, recounts should consistently NOT change results.
Why? If your vote gets discarded because it happened to be in the pool of those counted last, then how democratic is that?
I don't get this sense of urgency, when regardless who wins this, the incumbent will officialy stay in the office til January.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
If Biden gets Michigan and Wisconsin and Trump gets the rest of the eastern states this may seriously come down to Nevada
I think that AZ doesn't matter if NC GA PA go to Trump and WI MI go to Biden, it's a very slim Trump win with like 272 ec or close

edit:1604495407650.png

Yeah AZ is deciding factor in this scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Why? If your vote gets discarded because it happened to be in the pool of those counted last, then how democratic is that?
I don't get this sense of urgency, when regardless who wins this, the incumbent will officialy stay in the office til January.
I rather think it was a statement of the fact that the results should be accurate enough that recounts would not change them.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That discarded vote of which you write, cast among 10s of millions, statistically speaking, should be about as likely to be one party or the other. Yet these recounts and extensions are, from what I can tell, consistently trending Democratic.
I can think of some fair and valid reasons for this. But I also fear massive voter fraud.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So like, on NPR this morning, (I don't know if it was the local programming or actual NPR correspondents, with PA being important it kind of blends together), they asked a reporter in Philly if he'd seen any of the poll watchers Trump called for. They asked the question like it was a voter intimidation issue, but the guy was like "Oh yeah, they're here at the ballot counting facility. They've got their chairs against the wall watching the counters work." Ballot watchers is a legitimate role that they were wrong to undermine.

Side-note: I don't know what we're gonna do. Once Trump is gone, you and I will have so little to disagree about.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
We will probably have the results by the end of the day.
Unless Biden takes three states or trump does then we won't know until Thursday because that's what Nevada is continuing counting the vote.

And then we have the inevitable recount by Michigan and Wisconsin. You can call a revote if someone won by less than or equal to 0.5%

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
-Trump can lose the election, but win the presidency due to the electoral college overruling the American electorate if Trump wins with incredibly slim margins in some random states
AKA, it's no fair he won New York and California by such huge margins, why didn't he win the election! Just going to point out that in 2016, Trump literally only lost the popular vote because of California.

Complaining that the national popular vote and electoral college results aren't identical is like complaining that the team that did the most slam dunks didn't win a game of basketball - it's impressive but it is not how the game is scored.

-If Trump loses both the popular and the electoral vote he and the court he stacked in his favor can suspend the election and just declare Trump the victor due to ''fraud''
The courts have literally never done this, or anything like it.

Thanks to said deadline he has about a month to sue any state he feels like over how they conduct their elections, but no longer. At which point either they submit their slates of electors or get essentially counted as abstaining.

-If Trump fails with the courts but drags out the vote then it may be the House which decides the president, but despite the Democrats having a majority there this vote would be done by states, not by the number of seats which means the Republicans have a majority there too.
A House vote for president only happens if no candidate has 270 electoral votes. The fashion in which you describe it happening is only built on norms and tradition, nothing mandates that it cannot simply be a regular majority vote of the House. Given the way Trump has trampled all over things that are only mandated by norm and tradition, it would be a fitting end to his term as President.

2000 anyone? and things have only gotten worse
They literally just decided that the federal deadline was valid and that it's an equal protection violation to count different ballots in a state under different rules, and since by this point the deadline was the next day that it was impossible to draft, agree on, and implement a statewide recount before the deadline.

Trump's got a whole month to fight any state's elections he wants under any argument he wants, but then the slates of electors are due. Likewise for Biden.

to shut down the voting, just like they did in 2000,
Not at all what they did. The core argument was that you can't count pars of a state under different rules than the rest of the state so if Gore wanted another recount it would have had to be statewide, and also the federal deadline for having it all sorted could be enforced and was, you know, the next day.

Short version: if you're going to challenge an election, do it fast and don't try to cherry pick where you want to recount.

I agree. I think the USA would heavily benefit from a clear result, and not a load of controversy and courtroom shitshow to pile more fuel on the mutual antagonism.
This is the one thing I am reasonably certain is not going to happen. Controversy and courtrooms are incoming.

I'm mostly enjoying anons losing their minds when they figured out the websites they used for gambling on the elections ran away with their money.
Eh, the one I used is a prediction market and is probably good for it. They've been around a good long while and haven't had any of those sorts of problems in the years they've been open. But then I'm only going to win like $12 if Biden wins, I only bought a few shares in him.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That discarded vote of which you write, cast among 10s of millions, statistically speaking, should be about as likely to be one party or the other.
No, thats not true. Different areas/demographics are more or less likely to cast absentee ballots, and those areas/ demographics may not politically reflect the votes already cast.

Like in PA: non-absentee votes skew Trump, absentee votes skew Biden, because absentee votes are more likely to come from urban areas in that state, and urban areas skew Democratic.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That discarded vote of which you write, cast among 10s of millions, statistically speaking, should be about as likely to be one party or the other. Yet these recounts and extensions are, from what I can tell, consistently trending Democratic.
I can think of some fair and valid reasons for this. But I also fear massive voter fraud.
Vote counts are localised systems (elections are run at a county level, if I remember rightly), and counties tend to favour one side or the other. In the USA, it seems the slowest counts occur in certain cities, and cities tend to vote Democrat. Therefore, Democrat votes in numerous states are likely to roll in later than Republican ones. This isn't a conspiracy, it's just geography and procedure.

It's simply absurd and abusive to stop a count before a first run count is even complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.