Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
If this was an agreement that included any other smaller European country, you'd likely be correct.

Ireland is a vastly different beast in American culture (and therefore politics) though.
Memories are short and presidents have gotten away with worse. I really don't see it being political suicide to just sign a deal with Britain. It wouldn't take much effort to spin it and honestly something bigger would probably happen within weeks. If there's more money in signing a deal with the UK then why wouldn't he do it? He'll do what the lobbyists want him to do and he's 78 years old. He does not care about a second term.

America already forgives Obama because you can't be US president and not commit war crimes so why would respecting a peace agreement between two other countries be a concern.

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
I can't wait to see how Qanon will spin this.
On a serious note, there's a good chance they won't "spin" anything and instead will take action. I don't want to overreact to Qanon musings, but considering the police already arrested two members who were suspected to be involved in a plot to disrupt/attack a voting center in Philadelphia, and the documented history of distressing and outright violent behavior of some Q diehards, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some to resort to criminal acts in order to fulfill the wish fantasy they've been living for the past 5 years.

And having a non-insignificant number of Trump supporters (and a couple progressives) in my life who have to varying degrees bought into Q, I can tell you firmly that Trump losing the election will do absolutely NOTHING to dispel their beliefs, at least in the near term. Nothing. It's going to take a long, long time for believers to pull themselves out of that well, and I fear that if anything, the results of this this will only embolden their beliefs about the pedophiles within the deep state are even more powerful than they imagined and need to be "taken out."*

*Those exact words were used the other day by a friend of a friend, so make of that what you will.

Reactions: Tireseas

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
You're acting smug with nothing but manufactured consent behind you
And loving it, thanks!

Spank me more, daddy
Let it go people, or at least focus on me. I at least have the capability to fight back.
It's pretty much only Marik, and I doubt he's going to stop.
Memories are short and presidents have gotten away with worse. I really don't see it being political suicide to just sign a deal with Britain. It wouldn't take much effort to spin it and honestly something bigger would probably happen within weeks. If there's more money in signing a deal with the UK then why wouldn't he do it? He'll do what the lobbyists want him to do and he's 78 years old. He does not care about a second term.

America already forgives Obama because you can't be US president and not commit war crimes so why would respecting a peace agreement between two other countries be a concern.
The Irish are still an interest group in the US who could raise a ruckus about it, but I'm pretty sure Biden will just follow the neoliberal line and prioritize trade with bigger economies over the welfare of smaller ones.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
And loving it, thanks!

Spank me more, daddy

It's pretty much only Marik, and I doubt he's going to stop.

The Irish are still an interest group in the US who could raise a ruckus about it, but I'm pretty sure Biden will just follow the neoliberal line and prioritize trade with bigger economies over the welfare of smaller ones.
Exactly. I don't see it causing 0 controversy. There's be some outrage but not enough to make any difference.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
need to be "taken out."*

*Those exact words were used the other day by a friend of a friend, so make of that what you will.
Presumably you know your friend of a friend better than I do, but my family has been talking about "cleaning out DC" for years [with the overt implication of violence] before any of the evangelist conspiracy nonsense started, but nothing's ever happened. Talk is cheap. It isn't something I overly concern myself with. It's a lot easier to mutually fantasize about Braveheart, quite another to bear arms and take action in what will almost certainly result in their own death.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Biden and Harris won! My dad told me the news! Thank, Christ! Celebration music!

Exley97

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
United States
Presumably you know your friend of a friend better than I do, but my family has been talking about "cleaning out DC" for years [with the overt implication of violence] before any of the evangelist conspiracy nonsense started, but nothing's ever happened. Talk is cheap. It isn't something I overly concern myself with. It's a lot easier to mutually fantasize about Braveheart, quite another to bear arms and take action in what will almost certainly result in their own death.
I know, and I attribute a lot of talk on social media to MAGA bluster. However...this person (not my friend, to be clear) is a militia member who believed the folks behind the kidnapping plot in Michigan were, and I quote, "patriots." And he firmly believed that "Attorney General Rudy Giuliani" was going to engage in a sweeping vendetta ride, ala Wyatt Earp, and put the Clintons, Bidens, etc. in jail starting this month. I mean...

The point is this: I think we all have to consider the possibility that some of it is NOT just empty talk, because it *hasn't* been. Qanon believers have acted out before, shooting up a pizza place because they think children are being imprisoned in the basement by the Clinton camp, or trying to take over the Hoover Dam. Just because these acts haven't escalated beyond assault and attempted kidnapping doesn't mean they won't. And remember -- those incidents happened before Trump was elected/*while* he was in power. Now that he's been voted out in what supporters believe was a stolen election....again, how do we think these people are going to react?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I know, and I attribute a lot of talk on social media to MAGA bluster. However...this person (not my friend, to be clear) is a militia member who believed the folks behind the kidnapping plot in Michigan were, and I quote, "patriots." And he firmly believed that "Attorney General Rudy Giuliani" was going to engage in a sweeping vendetta ride, ala Wyatt Earp, and put the Clintons, Bidens, etc. in jail starting this month. I mean...

The point is this: I think we all have to consider the possibility that some of it is NOT just empty talk, because it *hasn't* been. Qanon believers have acted out before, shooting up a pizza place because they think children are being imprisoned in the basement by the Clinton camp, or trying to take over the Hoover Dam. Just because these acts haven't escalated beyond assault and attempted kidnapping doesn't mean they won't. And remember -- those incidents happened before Trump was elected/*while* he was in power. Now that he's been voted out in what supporters believe was a stolen election....again, how do we think these people are going to react?
How have they reacted so far this week? How many polling places got shot up/bombed in the "good fight"?

The time for them to have acted was this week. Largely, they haven't (I am aware of that pair that went to Philly; last I heard, they were arrested just for having the guns improperly, with some maybe evidence their plan was to submit fake ballots, not to shoot up a vote counter). Will there be actions taken in the future? Given how they've taken place in the past, I would say yes. Will they escalate beyond the trend established by the past? Looking at this week, I would have to say no. And hopefully, Biden will actually let the FBI go after domestic right-wing terrorism; I get the feeling that the thing most responsible for its prominence in the Trump years was Trump actively preventing it from being dealt with.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So is Sharia law...........what was it about being intolerant of intolerance that progressives kept preaching about?
No. I hoped you'd take something from it and not do what it seems you are going to do. I must say proving the article right is most disappointing..
So, the "Sharia law" thing is entirely about hating a tiny minority based on laws that they probably would support that would never actually be a problem in the first place, and the article is about the "politics of hate", and you really don't see the irony? You're really that oblivious?

Status
Not open for further replies.