Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
No ethical consumption under capitalism. But I do indeed shop local businesses whenever possible. It costs more, but I get way better service. And in the case of places like the local butcher shop, better products too. The increased cost means I've had to budget more, but it's worth it.
You can opt out of consuming.
These guys opted out:
1604954509909.png

Anyways, this does fly in the face of your brazen "yes".

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
These guys opted out:

Not really, no. Not unless you're a hermit in the woods living exclusively off of forage.

And again, not really, no. I am willing to pay more for better services, products, and supporting local businesses. I often do. The last time I gave Amazon any business was because I had a gift card and Ghost's new album had just dropped.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Not really, no. Not unless you're a hermit in the woods living exclusively off of forage.

And again, not really, no. I am willing to pay more for better services, products, and supporting local businesses. I often do. The last time I gave Amazon any business was because I had a gift card and Ghost's new album had just dropped.
good for you!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Rudy speaks... I think the legal cases are supposed to have started today.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
These guys opted out:
View attachment 1485

Ethical capitalism is when you don’t capitalism anymore and return to an agrarian lifestyle otherwise you are the bad. This obviously lies in stark contrast to how capitalism is carried out geopolitically, with agrarian societies conquered, exploited, and enslaved by the industrialized for resources. As there is no material way to reconcile this inevitable process, there is only the moral dimension, and by that the argument that all of us are simply too sinful to abandon our sinful society and live right, with whatever nihilistic conclusion you wish to end at afterwards.

I’ll appreciate your eventual manifesto and mail bombings.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Ethical capitalism is when you don’t capitalism anymore and return to an agrarian lifestyle otherwise you are the bad. This obviously lies in stark contrast to how capitalism is carried out geopolitically, with agrarian societies conquered, exploited, and enslaved by the industrialized for resources. As there is no material way to reconcile this inevitable process, there is only the moral dimension, and by that the argument that all of us are simply too sinful to abandon our sinful society and live right, with whatever nihilistic conclusion you wish to end at afterwards.

I’ll appreciate your eventual manifesto and mail bombings.
We must purge materialism from our body and thus our soul shall remain pure.
1604957747783.png

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Ah, that's the one that took place at the parking lot of the Four Seasons. The landscaper that is, not the luxury hotel. Shit's hilarious from a wider angle.
You think Rudy popped into the adult toy store next door after the presser?

Reactions: Iron

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What kind of laissez-faire capitalists did you hear talk, mate. That sounds depressing af
When you've got nothing to offer but your hands you can't be surprised that people are importing foreign hands for a quarter of the price. What could Unions even do when the fatcat can gather scabs from halfway across the world and make your entire employment disagreement irrelevant?
Silv would then cry out "It is the fault of the fatcats for importing hands for a quarter of the price!" and I will answer, "Would you rather consume less if it meant you only bought from local hands?".
This isn't what happened. In the USA unions membership had been declining since the 1950s and in the UK it peaked in the 1970s. Unions were heavily attacked by right wing governments, particularly during 1970s-1980s, before the era of mass immigration. They didn't much get scabs in: in the USA, most of it was simply decertifying unions, discriminating against union members in hiring, and otherwise pressuring or leaning on unions to break them. Much of which was technically illegal but the authoritties turned a blind eye to it.

Next, when immigrants move to the West, they overwhelmingly get paid what Westerners do (assuming they're employed legally). That's why they come - it wouldn't be worth it otherwise. Manufacturing jobs disappeared to China, Vietnam, Mexico etc. because they could employ workers at a fraction of the price, or in many cases automation vastly reduced the need for workers, and many of the replacement service sector jobs were... not so attractive.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
or in many cases automation vastly reduced the need for workers, and many of the replacement service sector jobs were... not so attractive.
This part cannot be overstated because it is the big fat economic elephant in the room. The trend toward automation is inevitable, working conditions in the service sector suck balls and this will create a labor crisis sooner or later.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
This part cannot be overstated because it is the big fat economic elephant in the room. The trend toward automation is inevitable, working conditions in the service sector suck balls and this will create a labor crisis sooner or later.
Automation and robots can eventually move the economy to a post-scarcity one. Work is merely symbolic. Problem solved. Already 60% of the workforce have work that is effectively pointless.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Yes: the nutritional value.
I mean, it only makes sense. You want to eat the rich, because they're grazed on expensive, gourmet, Whole Foods diet, and that makes them more nutritious, and probably tastier than the poor, who often have to live eating garbage processed, ready-to-go stuff.

It's like a difference between wagyu beef and a dollar steak.
Automation and robots can eventually move the economy to a post-scarcity one. Work is merely symbolic. Problem solved. Already 60% of the workforce have work that is effectively pointless.
And how does that work in a system, where you have to work to eat?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.