Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Hey this is fun. Ulster Unionist is a backwards fucking dinosaur and apparently this surprises people.

He wants to know
“What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?”

Apparently he forgot her name but I mean like presumably what ever device he was using twitter on he could have quickly found out with Google, the news or fucking twitter?

This is the same dude that a few years ago retweeted an article calling Leo Varadkar rude with just two words "typical Indian." I mean that one seems pretty open and fucking shut. Also important to note that for a guy who isn't racist against Indians he really loves to focus on the Indian half of people's Ancestry solely when he talks about them.

My favourite part is his defense. Did he go with the usual "how could I be racist I have Indian friends."?

Almost, tenants. He can't be racist against Indians because he has Indian tenants.

Typical British Lord.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Hey this is fun. Ulster Unionist is a backwards fucking dinosaur and apparently this surprises people.

He wants to know
“What happens if Biden moves on and the Indian becomes President. Who then becomes Vice President?”

Apparently he forgot her name but I mean like presumably what ever device he was using twitter on he could have quickly found out with Google, the news or fucking twitter?

This is the same dude that a few years ago retweeted an article calling Leo Varadkar rude with just two words "typical Indian." I mean that one seems pretty open and fucking shut. Also important to note that for a guy who isn't racist against Indians he really loves to focus on the Indian half of people's Ancestry solely when he talks about them.

My favourite part is his defense. Did he go with the usual "how could I be racist I have Indian friends."?

Almost, tenants. He can't be racist against Indians because he has Indian tenants.

Typical British Lord.
Love it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

He wants to know

Typical British Lord.
And he also wants to kill Clooney?!

Thank you very much.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Automation and robots can eventually move the economy to a post-scarcity one. Work is merely symbolic. Problem solved. Already 60% of the workforce have work that is effectively pointless.
No, they probably can't. At least, not unless we go far into the realm of science fiction. Scarcity is heavily caused by the limitations of the planet we are on, not just the workforce. Ultimately, there is only so much planet to exploit, and even as we are now exploitation of global resources causes a lot of long-term damage, never mind trying to meet "post-scarcity" requirements.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
No, they probably can't. At least, not unless we go far into the realm of science fiction. Scarcity is heavily caused by the limitations of the planet we are on, not just the workforce. Ultimately, there is only so much planet to exploit, and even as we are now exploitation of global resources causes a lot of long-term damage, never mind trying to meet "post-scarcity" requirements.
I meant it more like, money is a scarce resource that people are reliant on because its trade value is decided by economic circumstances and people are dependent on the means of production, distribution, housing etc this system provides so that creates this perpetual reliance on stratification and hierarchy because it can't exist without outside pressures and competition(or gross ineffectiveness). Robots can effectively eliminate that because an A.I. can make it a self-perpetuating system so there is no dependence anymore on corporations, the financial markets or governments. Great strides are also being made towards clean energy so I don't think it's unimaginable that we leave this era behind as a sort of middle ages. But ofcourse we're probably long dead by then. xD

Still even today the principle stands though. As automation progresses so does people continue to do more pointless work just to continue legitimating the old economic system.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I meant it more like, money is a scarce resource that people are reliant on because its trade value is decided by economic circumstances and people are dependent on the means of production, distribution, housing etc this system provides so that creates this perpetual reliance on stratification and hierarchy because it can't exist without outside pressures and competition(or gross ineffectiveness). Robots can effectively eliminate that because an A.I. can make it a self-perpetuating system so there is no dependence anymore on corporations, the financial markets or governments. Great strides are also being made towards clean energy so I don't think it's unimaginable that we leave this era behind as a sort of middle ages. But ofcourse we're probably long dead by then. xD

Still even today the principle stands though. As automation progresses so does people continue to do more pointless work just to continue legitimating the old economic system.
That doesn't factor in the toll on the planets resources it takes to provide everyone with the quality of living and the luxuries we possess today. Also, some people will want more than others in the end. That is not so easily fixed both because of limited resources and because those who have more will not accept a more even distribution of resources required for a more sustainable society.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Sounds like communism to me ;)

Reactions: MrCalavera

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Sounds like communism to me ;)
You write that in jest, but i am convinced that AIs will eventually make market forces obsolete because they will become better at allocating ressources and judging needs/desires. And after that capitalism will end.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
You write that in jest, but i am convinced that AIs will eventually make market forces obsolete because they will become better at allocating ressources and judging needs/desires. And after that capitalism will end.
It's my unironic belief that that's where we're headed as well, AI-backed "communism". It's either that or societal collapse under the weight of the contradictions it is built upon.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Landism is unacceptable and intolerable

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not sure what Landism is supposed to be.
Probably referring to Nick Land, an English philosopher known his espousal of accelerationism. As well as anti-democratic/humanist/egalitarian ideas. Oh, and "hyper racism".

The other option's a realtor in Karachi, Pakistan.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Probably referring to Nick Land, an English philosopher known his espousal of accelerationism. As well as anti-democratic/humanist/egalitarian ideas. Oh, and "hyper racism".

The other option's a realtor in Karachi, Pakistan.
I SAID NEVER LEARN

Status
Not open for further replies.