Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, I know why and how it's set up, you don't need to tell me. It was my example before you started using it.

Again, if Nadine is a "standard trained fighter", then it's very convenient how this black woman is the ONLY trained fighter in the ENTIRE Uncharted universe, and it's such a HUGE coincidence that none of the other mooks that Drake plows through in his FOUR games EVER took a "standard training" class to learn how to fight. None. Not a single one. Just this black woman. She's the only one who bothered to learn how to fight. This black woman. And black women are currently in demand to be the "woke" trophy wife of companies that are looking to "get with the times" what a huge coincidence.

But it helps to prove they''re not just token "woke" character, especially when they're up against characters that have canonically killed at least a thousand people.

If Drake had been able to beat Lazaravec in a hand-to-hand fight, that would have broken the immersion for a lot of people too.
Who's read every post in this thread? Chocolate is one of the movies that comes to mind of a chick beating up tons of dudes obviously.

Nadine is obviously more trained than just taking a standard training class. She's from Africa, which has more fighting the most western (aka white) countries, it literally makes more logical sense that she's black instead of white. Her father ran the paramilitary organization she took over. It's not hard to infer that her main interest growing up was guns and fighting like why sons of baseball players become baseball players themselves. She has way more setup than many characters that do the exact same things she does in the game and it's not questioned. Again, Maggie Q in Die Hard 4 is just cuz she's Asian, she has literally no back story in the movie. Speaking of Die Hard, John McClane only fights 2 people (across 4 movies as I never saw the last one) that are greatly skilled in hand-to-hand combat and he loses both fights. Most people, even in the military, are not very skilled in hand-to-hand combat.

Yeah, Drake beating Lazarevic in a fair fight wouldn't happen because at best, Drake and him are probably at best equally skilled with Lazarevic being much stronger. You don't see the hero beating the big thug in a fair fight in pretty much any movie (like the Indiana Jones scene) but you know what you do see? Smaller and much more skilled characters beating the shit out of other characters. It's the basic rules of RPGs as well. High strength (thug) or high dex (skill) beats the average character.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Nadine is obviously more trained than just taking a standard training class. She's from Africa
Drake beats a ton of black dudes in hand-to-hand combat. The enemies are diverse in their ethnicities because they're global PMCs. Are you going to say that none of them are "standard trained fighters" from Africa?

Her father ran the paramilitary organization she took over. It's not hard to infer that her main interest growing up was guns and fighting like why sons of baseball players become baseball players themselves.
I don't know how any of that is supposed to grant her fighting super-powers that enable her to flawlessly win against a 2v1 fight against two bigger, stronger, men.
The girl in Chocolate actually has super-powers in the form of her being a savant. That's the ONLY thing in her head, at the expense of being able to perform basic functions.

Yeah, Drake beating Lazarevic in a fair fight wouldn't happen because at best, Drake and him are probably at best equally skilled with Lazarevic being much stronger. You don't see the hero beating the big thug in a fair fight in pretty much any movie
Yes exactly. Drake and Sam are to Nadine as Lazarevic is to Drake. Bigger and much stronger.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Found this funny. Article spends 3000 words on the review of the playstation 5. Then spends four paragraphs at the end telling us why we shouldn't be excited for a new console because the world sucks massive ass.

"So the PS5 is cool. But you shouldn't care about it right now because people are struggling to get through a pandemic."

Like why even? You know they were paid to review the system, not write their little preachy shit at the end, but Ian does it anyway because who the fuck cares I guess?

Just do the job you're asked to do.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The job they're asked to do by their bosses, or the job the consumers would like them to do?

I think they're two different things. If their actual job is to get clicks from people outraged by this sort of thing, they succeeded. Reviewing is just what we'd like them to do.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Drake beats a ton of black dudes in hand-to-hand combat. The enemies are diverse in their ethnicities because they're global PMCs. Are you going to say that none of them are "standard trained fighters" from Africa?

I don't know how any of that is supposed to grant her fighting super-powers that enable her to flawlessly win against a 2v1 fight against two bigger, stronger, men.
The girl in Chocolate actually has super-powers in the form of her being a savant. That's the ONLY thing in her head, at the expense of being able to perform basic functions.

Yes exactly. Drake and Sam are to Nadine as Lazarevic is to Drake. Bigger and much stronger.
You do not read! Standard trained fighters ain't no thing in action movies, they're run-of-the-mill, they're goons/mooks. Being exceptional in an area is what matters. Nadine is not a standard trained fighter. Funny how you ignore the fact that her being black actually makes logical sense vs her being white. But no, they made her black so they could be "woke" :rolleyes:

2v1 is nothing in an action movie. Fight vs 10 black belts. You gonna argue that it's impossible for anyone to defeat 10 black belts at once? Why are you trying to apply real-world logic to action movies?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The chick from Chocolate only has superpowers in the sense that she can basically bypass all the grueling training it would take to reach that level. The level she is at is not inhuman, just really peak of human ability like Batman. It's like claiming Meteor Man (yes, fucking Meteor Man reference) is superhumanly smart because he can instantly absorb info from a book by touching it. No, anyone can read that book, it'll just take them longer.

Maybe in a real-world actual fight against a chick with say a black belt vs 2 dudes that can hold their own in a bar room fight, the dudes might win more often than not (I honestly couldn't care less which side would realistically win). But this is not the real world so it doesn't matter. Her "power level" is high enough to defeat them easily, which AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN, is par for the genre. How many trope articles do I have to link to for you to get "it"?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Found this funny. Article spends 3000 words on the review of the playstation 5. Then spends four paragraphs at the end telling us why we shouldn't be excited for a new console because the world sucks massive ass.

"So the PS5 is cool. But you shouldn't care about it right now because people are struggling to get through a pandemic."

Like why even? You know they were paid to review the system, not write their little preachy shit at the end, but Ian does it anyway because who the fuck cares I guess?

Yeah, I saw the following video about it a couple days back.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Nadine is not a standard trained fighter.
You said she was.
Nadine is just the standard trained fighter,
See? Right there. "Nadine is just the standard trained fighter".

2v1 is nothing in an action movie. Fight vs 10 black belts. You gonna argue that it's impossible for anyone to defeat 10 black belts at once? Why are you trying to apply real-world logic to action movies?
Exactly. Pretend that Ip Man is Drake. Drake has probably killed over a thousand people. 10 v 1 is nothing for Drake because he's just so skilled.
You're going to have to really sell the idea that someone can beat him in a fight or else the suspension of disbelief is going to be broken.

If anybody can match Ip Man in a fight, they're built up and sold during the movie so that when they aren't instantly curb-stomped, it makes sense.

Same with Chocolate, she was built up.

Nadine wasn't.

he chick from Chocolate only has superpowers in the sense that she can basically bypass all the grueling training it would take to reach that level. The level she is at is not inhuman, just really peak of human ability like Batman.
I agree.

Her "power level" is high enough to defeat them easily,
The game just doesn't sell that, is the problem. Combined with her being black and a woman means it's more likely that this was just some "woke" corporate meddler (or propogandist) meddling.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

And they got the console for free.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States

You're offended by a part of the article that you didn't need to read, so the corporate should interfere to ensure he censors himself? Or are you just calling for him to "self-censor"?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
For those of you who wonder why I am angry at something as seemly benign as IGN who is just a typical large video game journalism company let me explain.

Can you imagine if real-life journalists ignore the effects of smoking in the modern-day, or gambling addiction? If they weren’t holding major social entities' feet to the fire. There would be no smoking regulations, less to no corruption laws, and no age restrictions on gambling. Yet that is basically what’s happened to most of the gaming journalist world.

There is no accountability for predatory practices designed for troubled people with likely addictions and poor impulse control from the gaming journalist world. For every Jim Sterling or Joe Vargas, there are dozens of journalists, and likely editors who just slap 9 or 10 out of 10s to every triple-A, major release titles no matter how much they prey on the weak, and vulnerable with loot boxes.

IGN is at the center of that. Having given reviews to microtransaction ridden games that don’t deserve it. And only lowering it after receiving backlash case in point Battlefront 2, and cleverly writing negative articles only after the game has been in the hands of gamers, and the damage has been done.

Fuck IGN.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You're offended by a part of the article that you didn't need to read, so the corporate should interfere to ensure he censors himself? Or are you just calling for him to "self-censor"?
It's called editing. You edit the article for shit that doesn't need to be there. If Ian wants to write an opinion piece about the next consoles launching in the middle of a pandemic, fine. But make it a separate article, because by including it into the main review of the console you are backhandedly kind of insulting people who dare not only try to get a console, but also insult them for even WANTING it. Meanwhile he gets to enjoy a console he didn't have to struggle for, didn't have to pay for, didn't even have to ask for, which makes his whole point disingenuous. Critizing a struggle that he has no part in dealing with, especially during a pandemic in which they want people to stay at home for.

You know what would be a cool thing to keep people home? A fucking console.

Reactions: thebobmaster

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Apparently that’s too much to ask from a bait and switch muckraking site like Kotaku. I think I’m done using them for anything, and will actively look for alternatives on the same game industry news whenever possible. They seem to have forgotten what their place is, or simply have gotten too entitled, like so many modern celebrities.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
It's called editing. You edit the article for shit that doesn't need to be there. If Ian wants to write an opinion piece about the next consoles launching in the middle of a pandemic, fine. But make it a separate article, because by including it into the main review of the console you are backhandedly kind of insulting people who dare not only try to get a console, but also insult them for even WANTING it. Meanwhile he gets to enjoy a console he didn't have to struggle for, didn't have to pay for, didn't even have to ask for, which makes his whole point disingenuous. Critizing a struggle that he has no part in dealing with, especially during a pandemic in which they want people to stay at home for.

So, yes you'd like him censored for his opinions because you refuse to just ignore a few paragraphs that even you admit is separated from the main part of the review?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So, yes you'd like him censored for his opinions because you refuse to just ignore a few paragraphs that even you admit is separated from the main part of the review?
How is it censoring him, to simply move that part part of the article to a new stand alone article? That's not censorship. That's letting the message have it's own platform and spotlight, instead of hidden away in something unrelated.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Sounds like a planning issue there.

I mean Legends of Tomorrow started work on one of the major fights for the next season part way through the season they were filming because of the time it needed to do and the filming budget not normally being big enough to do it without borrowing budget from other episodes etc.
...so I dunno if you've noticed, but shit went down unexpectedly in 2020, what with a worldwide plague breaking out and all. Kinda made "planning" useless.

Batwoman might be woke, but it wasn't omniscient

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
For those of you who wonder why I am angry at something as seemly benign as IGN who is just a typical large video game journalism company let me explain.

Can you imagine if real-life journalists ignore the effects of smoking in the modern-day, or gambling addiction? If they weren’t holding major social entities' feet to the fire. There would be no smoking regulations, less to no corruption laws, and no age restrictions on gambling. Yet that is basically what’s happened to most of the gaming journalist world.

There is no accountability for predatory practices designed for troubled people with likely addictions and poor impulse control from the gaming journalist world. For every Jim Sterling or Joe Vargas, there are dozens of journalists, and likely editors who just slap 9 or 10 out of 10s to every triple-A, major release titles no matter how much they prey on the weak, and vulnerable with loot boxes.

IGN is at the center of that. Having given reviews to microtransaction ridden games that don’t deserve it. And only lowering it after receiving backlash case in point Battlefront 2, and cleverly writing negative articles only after the game has been in the hands of gamers, and the damage has been done.

Fuck IGN.
Who thinks IGN was benign? Maybe I'm in an echo chamber but both sides of politics or the event that shall not be named are very worried about the power of IGN and similar paid off games journalist. The stupid part about the event that shall not be named is that both sides agreed that the then current state of games journalism is bad. And it hasnt changed in 6 years

Yes I agree with you. I'm just exacerbated with the gender stuff that makes us ignore the problems

Reactions: Gyrobot

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Back handedly insulted? I agree the article could be split. But back handedly insulted?

Status
Not open for further replies.