Gaming Journalists Make No Damn Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
She's also 1 vs 1 and it's more martial arts vs cage fighting also it's mostly a defensive fight with her countering. while Nadine was 2 vs her with being on the offense most of the time.

Number of opponents can make a difference

And that's another issue in TLOU part 2 then of breaking established cannon but not that egregious, people can and do travel fair distances by foot still and could if they needed to most likely.

Shitty A.I. is gameplay as such though which isn't lore or world buildings.
Here's another one. She doesn't take a hit until the "mini-boss" appears. Skilled fighters (regardless of gender) taking out multiple combatants is par for the course. An action scene is not about what would realistically happen, you know that, right? Especially in a pulpy action movie/game. Do you actually think the rest of Uncharted is completely realistic?

Doesn't change the fact that traveling across the country is very dangerous.

Houseman made the claim that changes to games shouldn't come from the outside. Well, maybe it should if developers don't care about making the hard changes that will actually improve games like improving shitty AI that devs seem to have no interest in improving. Most devs only care about making the same game look better vs actually making better games because making better games is hard and making it look better is easy.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Here's another one. She doesn't take a hit until the "mini-boss" appears.
Hey, I posted that video in the other topic! Or was it this topic? It all blurs together.

I posted that as a GOOD example of a woman beating up multiple male combatants. The difference between this fight scene and Nadine's fight scene, is that this fight scene is preceded by a whole bunch of backstory that justifies (in-universe), how this character is able to accomplish such feats.

An action scene is not about what would realistically happen, you know that, right?
It's NEVER been about what's "realistic". It's always been about what's consistent, and that means "according to the established rules of their world".

For example, what if Wolverine were to get knocked unconscious by a punch thrown by some normal person? That breaks the rules of the X-Men world. Wolverine is supposed to be super tough and all that, how is it that some non-mutant is able to do that to him? You don't get to say "lol it's a comic book, it's not realistic, people don't have metal bones and retractable claws lulz how silly"

Houseman made the claim that changes to games shouldn't come from the outside. Well, maybe it should if developers don't care about making the hard changes that will actually improve games like improving shitty AI that devs seem to have no interest in improving. Most devs only care about making the same game look better vs actually making better games because making better games is hard and making it look better is easy.
Do you have even a shred of evidence for what you just said?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
1) No that only states some of the numbers
2) Yeh no even Batwoman has some pull in the association to Batman, not Batgirl levels of pull but still some.
2b) Batwoman has a Batman animated film about her plus I seem to recall appeared in the Batman animated series too.
3) Stargirl did actually have a full season story arc so no it wasn't really truncated by the plague lol.
1) It literally states the numbers you were using. It's your source. The same source puts Stargirl at the .86 non-DVR number. Which you want to do, because you're trying to compare things and should be comparing them using the same metrics. No Deadliest Warrior bullshit here.
2) Man, if you're arguing somebody doesn't have Batgirl's level of pull, that's...basically my argument
3) It was Batwoman season 1 that got truncated. Thought I was pretty clear. It probably would've had an uptick of viewers for a proper finale, like Stargirl did.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't, and I've never said that. I agree with everything else you wrote.
Cool. Awesome. Thanks

What could we do about the Pascal situation? Like, I understand why people disliked Ghostbsters but I feel she needed to make that mistake to get better. And we should tell her if we don’t like it. But hat ar we goin to do to sto this. Because there is one thing I am worried about more than corporate meddling... government intervention. That seems way worse than what we’ve got now. I’m not really for banning people from making crappy movies. As long as it’s their money to waste. And I don’t think tanking review scores tell anyone anything. Probably yelling on YouTube doesn’t either. Corporate structure highly like insulate themselves from feedback. It’s definitely not profitable to listen to all feedback...

So, I have a bias for feedback loops. Problems should rectify itself because the right knowledge is passing to the right place. I can see it not working at all here. Or like social media. But most feedback loops are created by governments.Which worries me. But corporate lead social media feedback loops are... not great. But I might be fixated on feedback. Anyway... if it was easily solved they would have done it already. They don’t need a half assed economic and policy assessment from a nobody

This sort of shit keeps me up at night

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You’re right, not all bad writing is corporate meddling. I do want to point out that as far as I can see, Dwarvenhobble talks far more about writing in his definition. You are adding more about characters. Great, let’s talk about characters.

So corporate meddling is bad. Why do you think that only effects ‘woke’ media? Like, do you understand that corporates choosing white males for roles instead of the best person for the job has the exact same issues.
Have you ever heard of the Galbrush threepwood principal?

The short version, in the Monkey Island series Guybrush Threepwood is a character who is comically inept and the butt of most jokes, he has abuse thrown at him and plenty of other stuff.

No-one complains.

You have anything bad happen to a woman in a game and it's outrage.

You can have the character walking through a field of dead men's corpses but shoot one woman NPC and there will be outrage.

Generally people don't give a shit with male leads it wasn't Bruce Banner people were mad about the characterisation in Age of Ultron but how Whedeon characterised Black Widow because she needed saving at one point and showed some vulnerability in the film.

White men get picked because no-one tends to bother or get upset. You can have them tortured, you can have them beaten to within an inch of their life and no-one will be upset.

It's only recently some films with leads that aren't White men are seemingly being somewhat accepted as having women end up injured etc without backlash because before any violence against them etc was being presented as VAG (Violence against women) and a sign the world hated women because here's media showing them being beaten up so clearly because some of the same people think media has such an impact on reality that such content was bad because it encouraged real life violence against women.

White males regularly get selected because execs thought that women couldn’t do the job. It’s why male Superheroes were selected for Marvel because they thought women couldn’t do it.
Wasn't that the old recluse guy who apparently said that though? Like the guy the last photo of was 15 years ago or something?

Thats also corporate meddling.

A lot of phase 1 is pretty bad because they made this decision, with Iron Man 1 being the only good movie there. Similar at DC, they certainly didn’t pick Wonder Woman to start the franchise and that’s a huge mistake.
That's more a story / outlining of the universe mistake, I mean she got her origin movie ahead of Batman and The Flash. Batman being DC's hot property at present and Superman being one of DC's longest mainstays

Foisting female characters onto people isn’t good. Neither is foisting white males on us. My problem is JUST woke crap. It’s all corporate meddling.
Not all of it. America Chavez was seemingly an incompetent writer using her run on the comic series for wish fulfilment / living vicariously via proxy through the character she was writing for.

I get the idea of wanting to fix woke. Because this introduction is terrible and should never happen again.

Carter and Teal’c was probably foisted onto SG1. It’s corporate meddling. Having an alien spy in your midst makes no sense. It could have gone the other way, and kept the white males originally in those positions and that would have been corporate meddling too.
Thing is with Carter it's progressive but not woke. Most of the points are "I am as good as you and can handle things as well as you". The points are not "I'm better than you in every single way and you're the problem"

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Here's another one. She doesn't take a hit until the "mini-boss" appears. Skilled fighters (regardless of gender) taking out multiple combatants is par for the course. An action scene is not about what would realistically happen, you know that, right? Especially in a pulpy action movie/game. Do you actually think the rest of Uncharted is completely realistic?
Blocked in my country so I can't view that clip sorry so I can't comment on it other than suggest it likely had some of what I've said about before going on.

Doesn't change the fact that traveling across the country is very dangerous.
But not near impossible

We are reaching the limit of what can be done with graphics really to show real improvement these days so mechanics will likely get more focus.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
1) It literally states the numbers you were using. It's your source. The same source puts Stargirl at the .86 non-DVR number. Which you want to do, because you're trying to compare things and should be comparing them using the same metrics. No Deadliest Warrior bullshit here.
2) Man, if you're arguing somebody doesn't have Batgirl's level of pull, that's...basically my argument
3) It was Batwoman season 1 that got truncated. Thought I was pretty clear. It probably would've had an uptick of viewers for a proper finale, like Stargirl did.
1) Well it also points out Stargirl is a Tuesday how while Batgirl has the often considered better Sunday slot too. It would be nice to see in Batwoman had DVR stats somewhere because something tells me they'd be low
2) I'm arguing Batwoman still has far more pull than Stargirl lol
3) Jesus 20 episodes and they weren't considering it a season finale?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
What could we do about the Pascal situation? Like, I understand why people disliked Ghostbsters but I feel she needed to make that mistake to get better. And we should tell her if we don’t like it. But hat ar we goin to do to sto this.
Perhaps the free market will regulate itself. If you don't like it, don't buy it, or give it a bad review, then hopefully people should realize what went wrong and not do that anymore. HOPEFULLY. But I've said before, publishers are bad at identifying why their game failed.

Corporate structure highly like insulate themselves from feedback.
And that's their own fault.

Then they deserve to fail for not being able to figure out why their product didn't sell. No sympathy for them.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
1) Well it also points out Stargirl is a Tuesday how while Batgirl has the often considered better Sunday slot too. It would be nice to see in Batwoman had DVR stats somewhere because something tells me they'd be low
2) I'm arguing Batwoman still has far more pull than Stargirl lol
3) Jesus 20 episodes and they weren't considering it a season finale?
It was scheduled for 22, so yes? Do you actually know anything about how season one of Batwoman shook out or are you relying on youtuber's who turn anger into money?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Perhaps the free market will regulate itself. If you don't like it, don't buy it, or give it a bad review, then hopefully people should realize what went wrong and not do that anymore. HOPEFULLY. But I've said before, publishers are bad at identifying why their game failed.
A economist lag is a politicians nightmare.

And that's their own fault.

Then they deserve to fail for not being able to figure out why their product didn't sell. No sympathy for them.
I don’t want to take the blame away from corporates. I’m also aware that the way we give feedback means they/we don’t usually want feedback again. I.e. we could be more... expressive and... compassionate. Or at least less yelling

For some god forsaken reason I’m saying this about corporations. Fuck my life

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
A economist lag is a politicians nightmare.

I don’t want to take the blame away from corporates. I’m also aware that the way we give feedback means they/we don’t usually want feedback again. I.e. we could be more... expressive and... compassionate. Or at least less yelling

For some god forsaken reason I’m saying this about corporations. Fuck my life
Problem is (and this is a games journalism thing)

Well reasoned, well written out criticism often gets the least attention while angry yelling will make it front page news on Kotaku by tomorrow. Unless it's something really bad going on.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I believe it shook out badly lol
You believe a lot of things.
Whether or not those things are tethered to observable reality is another matter.
Let's start with counting: if you plan a season around 22 episodes but end up having to unexpectedly stop at 20, how many episodes did you lose?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You believe a lot of things.
Whether or not those things are tethered to observable reality is another matter.
Let's start with counting: if you plan a season around 22 episodes but end up having to unexpectedly stop at 20, how many episodes did you lose?
2 filler instead lol

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am basically going to rant about video game reviewers.

if your an editor at IGN, or even a reviewer, I think your absolute scum, and I utterly despise your existence, and I would say more but I don't want advertisers fleeing this site, and forcing me to go back to Twitter, and Reddit. Believe me, I could get allot add allot more profanity, and venom if I wanted to.

I remember one former reviewer from IGN who stated we at IGN don't give 10/10s or 100/100s(lie), we believe in good production value games(That just happen to be from biggest companies, with the deepest pockets, and with lots of games, and access), Fallout 76 review score was a fluke(lie), your just angry I don't agree with you(excuse).

Also, they have completely pulled reviews from being 0-10 to 7-10. Everyone gets a C. I guess works for self-esteem for small children but should be insulting to adults, but the babies at publishers, developers, and executives like most of the elite want underserved praise because their fragile egos can't stand up to criticism.

And before someone accuses me of being sexists since I guess some of you know I am referring to, I am against corporate boot-lickers from all genders and all races. If you shill for a corporation despite your whole job being to hold them to account, then you are a horrible person period, fullstop.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That's not how linear time works. They didn't have all the episodes in the can ready to go. If they did, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO CUT PRODUCTION SHORT
Sounds like a planning issue there.

I mean Legends of Tomorrow started work on one of the major fights for the next season part way through the season they were filming because of the time it needed to do and the filming budget not normally being big enough to do it without borrowing budget from other episodes etc.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Hey, I posted that video in the other topic! Or was it this topic? It all blurs together.

I posted that as a GOOD example of a woman beating up multiple male combatants. The difference between this fight scene and Nadine's fight scene, is that this fight scene is preceded by a whole bunch of backstory that justifies (in-universe), how this character is able to accomplish such feats.

It's NEVER been about what's "realistic". It's always been about what's consistent, and that means "according to the established rules of their world".

For example, what if Wolverine were to get knocked unconscious by a punch thrown by some normal person? That breaks the rules of the X-Men world. Wolverine is supposed to be super tough and all that, how is it that some non-mutant is able to do that to him? You don't get to say "lol it's a comic book, it's not realistic, people don't have metal bones and retractable claws lulz how silly"

Do you have even a shred of evidence for what you just said?
It's setup because the chick from Chocolate has an unique ability (even a superpower, adoptive muscle memory). Nadine is just the standard trained fighter, it doesn't need a setup. Sully knows her background and Drake even says later that he knows she's a badass (from Sully), and she looks very much in-shape and she noticeably knows how to fight far better than Drake does (in 2 different scenes). I'm pretty sure there's far less setup for Maggie Q's character in Die Hard 4 IIRC as I'm pretty sure it's just inferred she badass and knows "kung-fu" because she's Asian and "all Asians know kung-fu" action movie logic. Where's the scene "setting up" why Michelle Yeoh kicks ass in Tomorrow Never Dies? Or Supercop? It's inferred she obviously was trained. You never see John Wick's training in John Wick. You don't need an origin story for every damn character.

It's consistent with basic action movie logic. Nathan Drake is not Wolverine and Nadine is not some normal person.

When companies finally stop appealing to, seeking input from, or listening to, non-gamers.
---

Blocked in my country so I can't view that clip sorry so I can't comment on it other than suggest it likely had some of what I've said about before going on.

But not near impossible

We are reaching the limit of what can be done with graphics really to show real improvement these days so mechanics will likely get more focus.
Watch Chocolate

It glosses over how hard it is and why it was even done in the 1st game.

I wish, I don't see that happening anytime soon from the AAA market. Look how very static the world of say FF7 Remake or NuGOW is. Breath of the Wild's world is far more interactive on hardware that's now 2 generations old.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It's setup because
Yes, I know why and how it's set up, you don't need to tell me. It was my example before you started using it.

Nadine is just the standard trained fighter
Again, if Nadine is a "standard trained fighter", then it's very convenient how this black woman is the ONLY trained fighter in the ENTIRE Uncharted universe, and it's such a HUGE coincidence that none of the other mooks that Drake plows through in his FOUR games EVER took a "standard training" class to learn how to fight. None. Not a single one. Just this black woman. She's the only one who bothered to learn how to fight. This black woman. And black women are currently in demand to be the "woke" trophy wife of companies that are looking to "get with the times" what a huge coincidence.

You don't need an origin story for every damn character.
But it helps to prove they''re not just token "woke" character, especially when they're up against characters that have canonically killed at least a thousand people.

If Drake had been able to beat Lazaravec in a hand-to-hand fight, that would have broken the immersion for a lot of people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.