Discovering Vtubers has been a great stress relief for me this year

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
This is just a personal anecdote of mine, but discovering the existence of Vtubers (short for virtual youtubers) has honestly helped me maintain my mental health a lot this year. Not just with Covid, but with the shitstorm of the US election (and I don't even live in the US). In the chaos of this world it felt like something... well not necessarily pure, but something all of its own, detached or at least very far removed from the chaos of the real world, and something wholly new.

For those who don't know, a vtuber is essentially a youtuber or social media person using a 3D (often anime) avatar instead of appearing on camera. Most that I've seen are focused on gaming, but some do music as well. As an example, here's Nyanners who mostly does gaming streams, but from time to time sings as well:

There's something wonderfully unique and interesting to me about this blurring of lines: Between the person behind the camera and the personality they put on. Between a real person and a cartoon character. Youtubers putting on a persona for the camera is nothing new, but when they don't even appear on camera but as a cartoon avatar it ends up creating this somewhat paradoxical situation where the person behind the camera is even farther removed from their content, but it also ends up making the content feel more authentic because the character can just let loose. I also really like the mix of these cutesy cartoon aesthetics and the edgy, irreverent meme culture of the internet. It genuinely feels like something that could only be achieved in the last 3-4 years with the combination of technological advancement and the viability of independent streaming.

That's just something I wanted to talk about. Also, Korone is the cutest goddamn doggo in the universe, don't @ me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Glad you found something to help you relax. We all have our own things to keep us in check, a good mood, or to relieve stress.

Reactions: Bedinsis

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
How many of them are there? Wasn't there like a Japanese company making vtubers?
I've come across at least like 2 dozen different avatars of various types, mostly gaming in my YT suggestions. I assume there are metric tons more out there if you look for them. They do tend to be asian girls who combine silliness and engrish humor, with live streaming of games. Some are pretty damn funny, like the above mentioned Nyanners has done some pretty damn funny clips I've randomly come across.

If you are the kind of person who enjoys live stream content, with a chat that the tuber reacts to, and "seeing" them on camera, this is that, but anime girl flavored. I'd say check them out, as they can be quite entertaining given the right mood.

This woman is the first I recall actively coming across, and it's pretty damn funny watching her freak the fuck out playing RE 7

They don't just play horror games of course, the content runs the gamut like all streamers.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Recently I had to explain what Vtubers were to my grandmother. Not because I watch them (not really my thing) but because she heard about them from one of her other grandchildren.

Reminds me of having to explain cosplay to my grandpa after he watched a news segment on Comicon.

Reactions: gorfias

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Recently I had to explain what Vtubers were to my grandmother. Not because I watch them (not really my thing) but because she heard about them from one of her other grandchildren.

Reminds me of having to explain cosplay to my grandpa after he watched a news segment on Comicon.
I had to explain the difference between a pedophile and a homosexual. Sounds like you got off easy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
try going outside instead
There's been some problems with that lately.

I had to explain the difference between a pedophile and a homosexual. Sounds like you got off easy
You'd think it would be as easy as "homosexuals are sexually attracted to their own gender; pedophiles are sexually attracted to children", but some people think anything beyond "missionary-style in the dark with your wife while begging God for forgiveness" all falls into the same perversion bucket.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
There's been some problems with that lately.
As someone who started working outside a few months ago and experienced an immense gain in mental health and substantial gain in physical fitness, I haven't noticed.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
As someone who started working outside a few months ago and experienced an immense gain in mental health and substantial gain in physical fitness, I haven't noticed.
Some countries aren't allowing people to go outside right now.

OT: I find Vtubers too surreal to look at for me to really get into. I know it's all software doing the work, but it's not past the uncanny valley territory for me yet. It also doesn't help I feel a little over-exposed to em, since someone in a group chat I'm in keeps talking about them, and I don't think anyone else is interested.

It's an interesting concept though. I'm surprised it's exploded the way it has

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I did.
My grandmother isn't exactly progressive, but she's open minded enough on issues to basically have the opinion of "Well, if that's what other people like and nobody's getting hurt, it's fine"

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I live in a country where going outside this time of year is about the most dismal experience one can have (read: the sun sets at 4pm and even seeing the sun is a rarity).

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Key word in that sentence is 'working'. Hence, a valid reason to be outside. Some parts of the world are still under strict lockdowns and going outside for whimsey's sake is not yet an option.

Reactions: BrawlMan

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I don't get the huge appeal(or rather, personally don't get it, i absolutely get the widely considered weeb demographic flocking to them), since they're just appear to be e-girls with an anime face-rig to me, so nothing really revolutionary.

I was curious to watch an LP or two, but some of the fans i know warned me that it's a rabbit hole, and i don't really need another online timesink atm.

But if they actually help you getting through these trying times, i'm genuinely happy for you, OP. Reminds me when i discovered Let's Players, and that watching other people play video games could also be fun.

try going outside instead
I was frequently "going outside" during my depressed NEET era.

It felt nice, being outside, but then i had to go back.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I started watching Vtubers about a week before HoloMyth's debut.

This was the video that really got me into them. It's nice to see lots of different people interacting with each other. It's also reinvigorated my faith in the opposite sex. In a world where the only women promoted are heavily political and with bad personalities, it's nice to see very talented, charismatic and funny women outside of my immediate social circle.

It seems to be more attractive to women and I suspect it's because it gives them distance from the swarms of the internet since they aren't showing themselves and have to worry less about people finding out who they are and the more perverted angle which is that sexual desires in things like art can be directed towards an avatar rather than themselves.

Glad you found something to help you relax. We all have our own things to keep us in check, a good mood, or to relieve stress.
One of them, Calliope, got to the top of the rap charts in several countries not that long ago.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Smoke weed and watch Vtubers, except for Austrian Vtubers, as Austria is a menace