Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You said she was.

See? Right there. "Nadine is just the standard trained fighter".

Exactly. Pretend that Ip Man is Drake. Drake has probably killed over a thousand people. 10 v 1 is nothing for Drake because he's just so skilled.
You're going to have to really sell the idea that someone can beat him in a fight or else the suspension of disbelief is going to be broken.

If anybody can match Ip Man in a fight, they're built up and sold during the movie so that when they aren't instantly curb-stomped, it makes sense.

Same with Chocolate, she was built up.

Nadine wasn't.

I agree.

The game just doesn't sell that, is the problem. Combined with her being black and a woman means it's more likely that this was just some "woke" corporate meddler (or propogandist) meddling.
I meant Nadine is the standard trained fighter in how she acquired said skills, just training (nothing of note that needs to be mentioned to the audience). Whereas the Chocolate chick has an unique ability to skip the training part, which is why she has like an origin story. Nadine is obviously an exceptionally trained fighter.
Nadine is obviously more trained than just taking a standard training class.
Drake isn't Ip Man, he's an everyman hero like John McClane or Indiana Jones. Nadine is akin to Ip Man in the Uncharted world, Drake is not even close. John McClane can win gunfights but handily lose to a skilled hand-to-hand fighter, just like Drake. If Drake was so skilled at everything he does, his techniques and animations would be akin to John Wick.

Women and men have been basically equal in action movies for quite awhile. Seeing a chick like Maggie Q beat up John McClaine is not questioned. Michelle Yeoh one-upping Bond is not questioned. There's tons of movies where chicks beat up dudes, literally just google "action movies with female leads". Same thing with games, there's playable female characters in beat'em ups, which are basically B action movies. I already explained why her being black vs white actually makes more logical sense yet you claim it's because it's "woke" *roll eyes*

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I hadn't forgotten, I was just taking a break
Thing is with Carter it's progressive but not woke. Most of the points are "I am as good as you and can handle things as well as you". The points are not "I'm better than you in every single way and you're the problem"
Yah, what? So is your problem that some women are arrogant?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I hadn't forgotten, I was just taking a break

Yah, what? So is your problem that some women are arrogant?
I guess I need to quote myself a 4th time

No I explained before why I see Wokeness and diversity as different things.

Generally Wokeness is either:

1) Done in a way clearly not thought through

or

2) Done in a way to try and take shots at others or present superiority.

As an example of 1) Alex Rider the TV show giving is a Black girl Nazi and deciding the race swap Alex Rider essentially Nanny / house keeper for a black woman while also race swapping one of the senior operatives in the Department and Alex's hander to being white. They also put a female character in not in the original book who ends up being little more than a Damsel in Distress and implied love interest.

As an example of 2) Batwoman - "The Suit will be perfect when it fits a woman" and other such lines.
Carter = "I'm as good as you, I'm ready to do this and I can hold my own."

Woke shows = "I'm just better than you, you're no-where near as competent as me and I should have been believed and let do it all from the start while you were excluded."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I guess I need to quote myself a 4th time

Woke shows = "I'm just better than you, you're no-where near as competent as me and I should have been believed and let do it all from the start while you were excluded."
So, again I'm going to say this so incredulously, you cannot allow women to be arrogant?

Yes you do have to say this again. Its that stupid. That how many women are and they DONT need to be woke to do it. It's natural for them to be arrogant

Also, Carter here is the most arrogant and worst written thing I've ever seen. Hence me pointing it out. It is always my no 1 example of bad woke.

Also, also... you know this is still 'I cant handle women who act a certain way.' AND still skips over the fact that this is a troupe for men. Like, that's Tony Stark. An arrogant fuck who thinks he's better than everyone else and literally tries to exclude everyone, particularly the first movie

*Not the excluded part. That's just projection. Just because there is a 'strong female' doesn't exclude you from anything.

EDIT: I also thought bad woke stuff was poorly written stuff? Where did that go?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Good god, you're actually defending the cringiest line in Stargate SG-1. A line that didn't make the cut when they remastered the pilot episode. As an example of Good Woke Writing.

I give up. Woke is Calvinball

Reactions: Buyetyen

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I wanna talk about specific examples of this:

Captain Marvel is usually seen as woke. When does she say this?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Good god, you're actually defending the cringiest line in Stargate SG-1. A line that didn't make the cut when they remastered the pilot episode. As an example of Good Woke Writing.

He can like what he likes. It might suit his impression of a strong woman

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

I thought of your post when I was reading about The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. It's a show about a female chess player, among other things. I've never watched it.

Even though Beth Harmon is technically a fictional character, chess expert Dylan Loeb McClain pointed out in The New York Times that she bears many striking similarities to another well-known chess prodigy, Bobby Fischer. To name a few: They both won the U.S. championship title in 1967, began supporting themselves in their late teens, learned Russian to keep up with their Soviet competitors, spent beyond their means on fancy clothes, and stood out from their fellow chess pros by being able to make a living playing chess. Finally, and most importantly, according to McClain, "Beth and Fischer have similar, aggressive playing styles. And when playing white and facing the Sicilian Defense, they both play the same system: the Fischer-Sozin Attack."

In a fun twist, as McClain noted, since [Bobby] Fischer was known to be dismissive of female chess players and once claimed they were less intelligent than men, "Making Beth recall a female Fischer may have been a sneaky, and wonderful, way to send up that assessment."
So essentially, they just took a real-life man and replaced him with a fictional woman, which seems like a big "TAKE THAT, WHITE MALES, WE CAN DO ANYTHING YOU CAN!"

And you would expect that to be true, right? Chess isn't a physical sport where differences is body type matter, so why should women be any worse at chess then men, right?

Well, turns out they are. Look at the rankings. There are only two women in the top 100.

So when you have to completely make up a woman while copy-pasting their achievements and mannerisms from men, instead of, I dunno, making an inspiring story about a real-life female chess player, you've essentially admitted the opposite of your point.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So, again I'm going to say this so incredulously, you cannot allow women to be arrogant?

Yes you do have to say this again. Its that stupid. That how many women are and they DONT need to be woke to do it. It's natural for them to be arrogant

Also, Carter here is the most arrogant and worst written thing I've ever seen. Hence me pointing it out. It is always my no 1 example of bad woke.

Also, also... you know this is still 'I cant handle women who act a certain way.' AND still skips over the fact that this is a troupe for men. Like, that's Tony Stark. An arrogant fuck who thinks he's better than everyone else and literally tries to exclude everyone, particularly the first movie

*Not the excluded part. That's just projection. Just because there is a 'strong female' doesn't exclude you from anything.

EDIT: I also thought bad woke stuff was poorly written stuff? Where did that go?
With woke shows the entire thing is done out of arrogance.

Going with Stargate as a franchise how many times is Rodney shown as arrogant and how many times does he screw up badly?

Or in other shows it's generally the villain who is shown as the arrogant one or used to prove a point and be the moment where a hero fails due to said arrogance.

Carter is shown as being confident in her own abilities without belittling the abilities of others as such.

Woke stuff is badly written in the sense that it comes off as not thought through with what the implications will be. E.G. The Alex Rider tv series giving us a Black Girl Neo Nazi.

You mean it's more cringey to you than Teal'c going to the Vagina monologues?

Also seriously just once can you guys read what I defined woke as?

Because this is the 5th time I'm going to have to quote myself

No I explained before why I see Wokeness and diversity as different things.

Generally Wokeness is either:

1) Done in a way clearly not thought through

or

2) Done in a way to try and take shots at others or present superiority.

As an example of 1) Alex Rider the TV show giving is a Black girl Nazi and deciding the race swap Alex Rider essentially Nanny / house keeper for a black woman while also race swapping one of the senior operatives in the Department and Alex's hander to being white. They also put a female character in not in the original book who ends up being little more than a Damsel in Distress and implied love interest.

As an example of 2) Batwoman - "The Suit will be perfect when it fits a woman" and other such lines.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Well I can point to her in the deleted scene crushing a guys hand and stealing his bike.

Other complaints I've heard

There's the somewhat arrogant attitude.

There's the fact in her own film there's no real villain anywhere near on par with her

Before I get called out on saying heard, yes I've not seen Captain Marvel, I wasn't feeling like supporting Marvels rights issue squabbles, I also have not seen any of the Thor films and didn't see Doctor Strange when it came round in cinemas before I get accused of avoiding specific films for some reason.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I thought of your post when I was reading about The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. It's a show about a female chess player, among other things. I've never watched it.

So essentially, they just took a real-life man and replaced him with a fictional woman, which seems like a big "TAKE THAT, WHITE MALES, WE CAN DO ANYTHING YOU CAN!"

And you would expect that to be true, right? Chess isn't a physical sport where differences is body type matter, so why should women be any worse at chess then men, right?

Well, turns out they are. Look at the rankings. There are only two women in the top 100.

So when you have to completely make up a woman while copy-pasting their achievements and mannerisms from men, instead of, I dunno, making an inspiring story about a real-life female chess player, you've essentially admitted the opposite of your point.
Just gotta check. You know that most movies are made up, right?

Like William Wallace was no where near his representation in Braveheart. He’s not even in the right time period. They made up heaps of stuff for the Tolkien movie... this year? Last year? I can’t remember. Netflix had that The King series (I think it was called. I find many of their names less memorable.) didn’t portray most of the events and characters right at all.

Yep, knock this Queens Gambit movie down for historical inaccuracies. If you want a card put at the front detailing the historical inaccuracies, like I assume, Gone with the Wind (I haven’t actually look at the actual card.)

As to ‘TAKE THAT WHITE MALE’ etc. show me exactly where they said this. If you’re talking about it’s implied, because it’s been gender swapped,, that’s for you to decide. I don’t think gender swapping is anywhere near ‘TAKE THAT WHITE MALES’. But I don’t think Fem Doctor Who or Rey is a that either but apparently that’s taking away from white males.

But would also like a more realistic take on the historical events,, or a doco detailing all the inaccuracies. I usually enjoy those sort of documentaries more than the actual movies

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yep, knock this Queens Gambit movie down for historical inaccuracies.
I'm saying that if you have to completely invent "a woman being just as good as a men" or "a woman succeeding in a man's world" stories, then you're basically admitting that such success stories are fantasies, since you have no examples of women ACTUALLY succeeding to pull from. It's even worse if you gender-swap a man's success story.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well I can point to her in the deleted scene crushing a guys hand and stealing his bike.

Other complaints I've heard

There's the somewhat arrogant attitude.

There's the fact in her own film there's no real villain anywhere near on par with her

Before I get called out on saying heard, yes I've not seen Captain Marvel, I wasn't feeling like supporting Marvels rights issue squabbles, I also have not seen any of the Thor films and didn't see Doctor Strange when it came round in cinemas before I get accused of avoiding specific films for some reason.
Ah, well maybe pick a character. Not Rey though. I’m not rewatching Force Awakens. Just in case someone

Marvel certainly does have an arrogant attitude. This also gets her captured, manipulated, tracked down easily by Shield who should have been easily evaded but she arrogant and thinks a less technologically savvy race can keep up. At the end, she changes sides, use herself as bait to let the more important objective escape and starts working as a team. She still has arrogance but it’s more tempered, understanding and caring of others. You can see this in Endgame where she fobs of Earth as they have heroes, but to help others in the galaxy. And she still comes back to fight Thanos

it’s still not well written. It’s a bit of a mess, due to the manipulation

As to villain, it’s one that tricks her into do things. More like the Thinker than a Reverse Flash. They know they have a nuclear bomb and have been tricking her. So no, no one as physically powerfully, more mentally

I like this more than most Phase 1 movies. But I don’t like most Phase1 movies and hate Captain America 1. So take this as you will.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You mean it's more cringey to you than Teal'c going to the Vagina monologues?
The joke where he thought he heard it was the "Virginia Monologues" and heard it was award-winning Earth Culture and then joke's on him, it wasn't what he was expecting, and it fades to black?
Where all of his teammates he invited politely decline after seeing the tickets but don't correct him because it's funny as hell?

You get that nothing "woke" happens, right? It's a joke.
If you of the scenes people have a problem with isn't actually in the movie, that should tell you something

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The joke where he thought he heard it was the "Virginia Monologues" and heard it was award-winning Earth Culture and then joke's on him, it wasn't what he was expecting, and it fades to black?
Where all of his teammates he invited politely decline after seeing the tickets but don't correct him because it's funny as hell?

You get that nothing "woke" happens, right? It's a joke.
If you of the scenes people have a problem with isn't actually in the movie, that should tell you something
I didn't say it was woke I said it was a bit cringey lol

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm saying that if you have to completely invent "a woman being just as good as a men" or "a woman succeeding in a man's world" stories, then you're basically admitting that such success stories are fantasies, since you have no examples of women ACTUALLY succeeding to pull from. It's even worse if you gender-swap a man's success story.
The problem being that women, for a long time, were banned from succeeding. Like, I don’t know specifically when Queens Gambit is set, I’m assuming 50s? Just looking at her attire. The books written in the early 80s so well before then. As the article pointed out, Fisher didn’t want women involved at all. The biggest lie is that there were any female chess player allowed at that particular time. It’s just not a reality until the 80s. Maybe females wouldn’t have been competitive. Females don’t usually succeed when there is massive opposition to their participation

She sounds like she’s an amalgam, as Bobby never had the upbringing that the person in this story had, nor drug issues. That was apparently based on the authors life. Bobby was accused of cheating. Is that part of the story? She also looks pretty old, not a teenage prodigy. I’m only basing this without seeing it at all. So IDK for sure. It might be ripped straight from Bobby Fisher. Or it could be more like Indiana Jones, using real people as an influence and dialling the drama to ten. As I said, I’d be far more interested in an analysis comparing to actual events, as I’m not really interest in this movie

Status
Not open for further replies.