Demon's Souls Review - Worts and all

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Last time I played Demon's Souls I got a little way through it by following a guide and was in some mines or something. I got quite far into these mines and was taking on some pretty easy flying enemies but wasn't paying close enough attention to my health and was killed by a random prod. My fault, I should have healed and was sent right back to the start and everything I'd achieved in an hour and a half of my 2 hours a night playing time was wasted. It was at that point that I realized that this game was not for me. I liked it, its pretty decent. But I just do not have the time to commit to something that eats my time and I could end up no further along than when I started. I mean, I can play a 100+ hour JRPG in tiny time installments as I can make some progress. I don't know if the other Souls games have better checkpoints so you can play in smaller sessions, but this game put me off checking them out further.
The mine level sucks and it is the worse in terms of checkpoints. The other levels aren't as bad with that. The one good thing about the remake are the short load times, so it doesn't suck as much.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Interestingly enough the areas in Demon's Souls are way harder than the bosses. Some of the zones like Shrine of Storms and Valley of Defilement are absolute assholes, but then you get into the bosses and you have a fat bastard with a bird for a head, and a bunch of slugs. Like...ok? Seems...umm...anti-climatic. I mean i literally beat the slugman with one fire sword and one stamina bar. It took like 20 seconds, but the zone took me an hour.
I just did the Cathedral of the Deep in DS3. It took me hours to get through the Cathedral. I beat the Deacons of the Deep in 2 tries and that intiall death is because I got greedy and surrounded near the end of the fight so I couldn't back out to restore stamina and heal.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just did the Cathedral of the Deep in DS3. It took me hours to get through the Cathedral. I beat the Deacons of the Deep in 2 tries and that intiall death is because I got greedy and surrounded near the end of the fight so I couldn't back out to restore stamina and heal.
The difference with DS3 though, is that there are more checkpoints and shortcuts. Demon's Souls literally only has a point at the beginning of the level and the boss fights, so if you die to a boss you have to go all the way back every time.

Hell the 4-1, and 5-1 areas dont even have shortcuts in them (that i could find), it's like the level designers had to rush to make new areas towards the end of the game. Which makes sense because of the budget the original had.

It's one of those Worts that Bluepoint stayed true to. Through Demon's Souls you can really feel a lot the shitty design decisions that made it one of the worst Souls games in almost every aspect. However there is a charm to it still and it's kind of awesome to see how everything evolved into later Souls games.

That being said, its 2020 and a new generation, you'd think Bluepoint could change SOME of the shit that sucked dick just to make a better introduction into the series for new players.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The difference with DS3 though, is that there are more checkpoints and shortcuts. Demon's Souls literally only has a point at the beginning of the level and the boss fights, so if you die to a boss you have to go all the way back every time.

Hell the 4-1, and 5-1 areas dont even have shortcuts in them (that i could find), it's like the level designers had to rush to make new areas towards the end of the game. Which makes sense because of the budget the original had.

It's one of those Worts that Bluepoint stayed true to. Through Demon's Souls you can really feel a lot the shitty design decisions that made it one of the worst Souls games in almost every aspect. However there is a charm to it still and it's kind of awesome to see how everything evolved into later Souls games.

That being said, its 2020 and a new generation, you'd think Bluepoint could change SOME of the shit that sucked dick just to make a better introduction into the series for new players.
Yeah, admittedly I never finished 1-2 when I tried it years ago exactly because of that damn linear bridge. That and my controller for some reason kept flipping my weapon to one of my alternates(which because of weight issues was sometimes NOTHING) and it's an issue that I don't have in any of my other PS3 games.

So I'm looking forward to the remake if only to play a somewhat more user friendly version of the only souls game I've yet to make any real progress in.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I'm looking forward to the remake if only to play a somewhat more user friendly version of the only souls game I've yet to make any real progress in.
Yeah I agree with you there. I was very excited about Demon's Souls because i got into the Souls thing late, and there was no fucking way I was gonna go back and play that janky piece of shit.

Now that the Remake is here. It's shit a janky fucker, but it at least runs like a modern game. The smooth framerate, the efficiency of the movement and the responsiveness makes a huge difference. And thankfully I've not seen any old school players complaining that this remake "feels" different even though it must. Any changes in how the game behaves, have been nothing but good changes to make the game just work better. And I'm sure fans of the original game can agree that dispite some of the bullshit in this game, it definitely now feels like how the developers would have originally wanted the game to be, which is nice.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Interestingly enough the areas in Demon's Souls are way harder than the bosses. Some of the zones like Shrine of Storms and Valley of Defilement are absolute assholes, but then you get into the bosses and you have a fat bastard with a bird for a head, and a bunch of slugs. Like...ok? Seems...umm...anti-climatic. I mean i literally beat the slugman with one fire sword and one stamina bar. It took like 20 seconds, but the zone took me an hour.
Well that’s the thing though. In later games there were bonfires close by much tougher bosses, but how much would you want to wade through all that poison crap after the boss beat you down for the tenth+ time?

Although again, the gameplay improvements probably also made these encounters significantly easier, or more playable too. But having said that even in the original I’m pretty sure 80+% of my deaths were from the levels up to the bosses vs bosses themselves.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I agree with you there. I was very excited about Demon's Souls because i got into the Souls thing late, and there was no fucking way I was gonna go back and play that janky piece of shit.
Same. I played Dark Souls in 2013/2014ish and I got Demons Souls sometime after that, but honestly, it;s been so hard to actually enjoy it the way I do the other games. I get the appeal but Janky Nature just doesn't work well with me and I feel like I'm fighting the damn thing instead of the enemies/levels/bosses.

Hell, Dark Souls 2, which is still my least favorite game in the series that I've made any progress in, is still a hell of a lot more user friendly then Demons is and it pains me to say "I liked DS2 more then Demons Souls" considering how much DS2 dropped the ball in a few areas.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That sounds a lot like my experience there. I especially got hung up on the rafters since I originally kinda wound up there by accident, and it took far too long figuring out the way back to them. Thankfully there’s only one more place where this kind of thing could happen. You could probably guess which it is too.

Did you take out the Watchers yet? Consider them a warm up in stamina management to Pontiff Sulyvahn.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That sounds a lot like my experience there. I especially got hung up on the rafters since I originally kinda wound up there by accident, and it took far too long figuring out the way back to them. Thankfully there’s only one more place where this kind of thing could happen. You could probably guess which it is too.

Did you take out the Watchers yet? Consider them a warm up in stamina management to Pontiff Sulyvahn.
Yeah, I was running around up on the rafters for a bit because apparently that's how you reach Rosaria but I kept getting killed by the thralls(or more accurately, dropping to my death when fighting them) or by one of the axe dudes who followed me in because I was being clever and trying to kite him. "He won't follow me in ....*AXED* I don't even plan on joining Rosarias fingers but I want to at least go over there and see her once.

I haven't had a chance to challenge the watchers yet. I plan to give them a go tonight and hopefully get past them.

Update: Abyss Watchers are down. That was a lot easier then I thought it would be. I fought them twice, once as a summon(for the ember and to learn the moveset) and once for real and won both times without too much trouble.

Now I'm in the Catacombs of Carthus. Population: Skellingtons.

Fucking Skelingtons.

Last edited:

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
DS3 has the most fun and chaotic online play. It's incredibly fun to get like 3 people in your game and then invaders start to pop in. I always use the tree seed to get the enemies to attack them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I had a feeling that he would cheat, considering how hard the original Demon Souls is. I still had a great time with the video regardless.
I mean it's the easiest Souls game for sure. The levels are harder than the bosses with the exception of like two fights. I'm surprised he struggled when he played all the other games. Though i don't know if he cheated or not in the other games.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I mean it's the easiest Souls game for sure. The levels are harder than the bosses with the exception of like two fights. I'm surprised he struggled when he played all the other games. Though i don't know if he cheated or not in the other games.
I'm not I'd call it the easiest. I've played all the others and Demons Souls I've barely been able to crack. Or maybe it's because it feels like it's the most janky and my mind sees that as much the same because having difficulty controlling the character feels like fake difficulty

Also, can someone explain the cheat to me? Apparently he glitched his luck stat super high and that upped his critical rate to 100% or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan