Steam has come for you wallets again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So the annual turkey day tradition of Steam riffling through your wallet is upon us. Go hide ye cash and prepare for the avalanche of games.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Had some steam wallet credit left from selling steam cards, so I got Ion Fury for €8.02. Bit of old school blasting. Should be fun. Also, cuz it's Build Engine, it's tiny. When was the last time you downloaded and installed a game in under 10 seconds?

Anyway, that's probably going to be it. Still got €10 left in my monthly budget, but can't think of anything to use it on.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Had some steam wallet credit left from selling steam cards, so I got Ion Fury for €8.02. Bit of old school blasting. Should be fun. Also, cuz it's Build Engine, it's tiny. When was the last time you downloaded and installed a game in under 10 seconds?

Anyway, that's probably going to be it. Still got €10 left in my monthly budget, but can't think of anything to use it on.
People actually buy those cards? I got a millions but when I tried to sell them it was such a pita to do that I gave up.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
So the annual turkey day tradition of Steam riffling through your wallet is upon us. Go hide ye cash and prepare for the avalanche of games.
Ruin has come to our family...
You remember our venerable house, opulent and imperial

God damn it I may actually go to Epic Store for DD2

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
People actually buy those cards? I got a millions but when I tried to sell them it was such a pita to do that I gave up.
Sure they do. Though prices have plummeted ever since Valve put in some measures to curb abuses. But I remember that for a few years I could amass enough credit from selling cards throughout the year to be able to buy a cheap game come the holiday season.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As time has gone on, I've become less and less interested in the steam sales. Mostly because I just get the games I want when I want them which is usually at release. Or damn near.

But also because I've shifted and started becoming more and more of a console gamer. Over this pandemic especially with virtually endless time during lockdown, I barely touched my PC and instead completed game after game on PS4. I dunno, I think I'm starting to value the ease of just firing up a console and playing on a giant TV versus the high power of a PC.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sure they do. Though prices have plummeted ever since Valve put in some measures to curb abuses. But I remember that for a few years I could amass enough credit from selling cards throughout the year to be able to buy a cheap game come the holiday season.
I just tried a bit, what an incredibly terrible system. There's plenty of "buy" order for almost every card, but instead of just going to my inventory and click "sell at whatever price is highest now" I have to guess the price people are willing to buy it in a screen with no information about the current buy order. To find the buy order I need to open another window, go to community market place, find the game, find the card in the list, lookup what the highest buy order is and finally enter that amount. All that for maybe 5 cents.

I remember playing trough portal with dev commentary on and valve dev were absolutely obsessed with getting every little details right and making things as seamless as possible. Where was that attitude when it came time to design the steam store? If Valve gets a cut of every transaction between user, why aren't they trying to make this as easy as possible?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I just tried a bit, what an incredibly terrible system. There's plenty of "buy" order for almost every card, but instead of just going to my inventory and click "sell at whatever price is highest now" I have to guess the price people are willing to buy it in a screen with no information about the current buy order. To find the buy order I need to open another window, go to community market place, find the game, find the card in the list, lookup what the highest buy order is and finally enter that amount. All that for maybe 5 cents.

I remember playing trough portal with dev commentary on and valve dev were absolutely obsessed with getting every little details right and making things as seamless as possible. Where was that attitude when it came time to design the steam store? If Valve gets a cut of every transaction between user, why aren't they trying to make this as easy as possible?
You can thank asset flippers for that. They were gaming the system, so Valve changed it, but this also made it a huge pain for legit users. Market crashed, prices bottomed. I still sell mine, but the amount of cred you can still get is not really worth it. It's mostly just to clean house and be rid of them.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
As time has gone on, I've become less and less interested in the steam sales. Mostly because I just get the games I want when I want them which is usually at release. Or damn near.

But also because I've shifted and started becoming more and more of a console gamer. Over this pandemic especially with virtually endless time during lockdown, I barely touched my PC and instead completed game after game on PS4. I dunno, I think I'm starting to value the ease of just firing up a console and playing on a giant TV versus the high power of a PC.
The sales don't feel worth it lately, either. Just about everything is still in the ~$20 range or above even discounted, and you know you're gonna get nickel-and-dimed on microtransactions and DLC anyways.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Well, technically I guess Titanfall 2, Maximum Action, and the Colorado expansion to American Truck Simulator, though I bought them before the sale started.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not sure if im gonna get much.

Probably going to spend a bit for christmas gifts for friends, but other than that, I need to wrestle with whether or not I want to sink a bunch of cash into Total War: Warhammer 2

I've barely touched the game, but im a sucker for getting the full experience - especially if I want to give it another shot.

God, im terrible with money.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not sure if im gonna get much.

Probably going to spend a bit for christmas gifts for friends, but other than that, I need to wrestle with whether or not I want to sink a bunch of cash into Total War: Warhammer 2

I've barely touched the game, but im a sucker for getting the full experience - especially if I want to give it another shot.

God, im terrible with money.
I'm actually not sure how much I'll get either. I'm pretty tempted by Darksiders Genesis, blaster master 1/2, Ori and the will of the wisps, and Forsaken remastered. But, I'm currently working my way through Control and Blasphemous. On top of playing Warframe and Cyberpunk 2077 comes out in a couple weeks. So, I'm just not sure how much time I would have to play anything new.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I never understood the Steam sale, or more accurately I don't get the anticipation/reaction. Are gamers really waiting all year long to get a 50% discount on The Outer Worlds, or Mafia? I mean if these were new releases like that viking game that would be one thing, but they're not. They're games that are years old. Just feels...I dunno, off.
Its like going to Walmart and seeing a sale on Transformers: The Last Knight toys. I'm pretty sure anyone who was interested already got them a while ago.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I never understood the Steam sale, or more accurately I don't get the anticipation/reaction. Are gamers really waiting all year long to get a 50% discount on The Outer Worlds, or Mafia? I mean if these were new releases like that viking game that would be one thing, but they're not. They're games that are years old. Just feels...I dunno, off.
Its like going to Walmart and seeing a sale on Transformers: The Last Knight toys. I'm pretty sure anyone who was interested already got them a while ago.
Did you not even look at the sales? Doom Eternal is 67% off, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is 50% off, Starwars Squadrons is 40% off, Resident Evil 3 is 67% off. Those are all games that came out this year, some only a couple months ago.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There isn't much on sale that interests me this time around. Death Stranding is still ten dollars too expensive for my tastes, and I feel like I'm missing out on something with Control if I can't do ray-tracing. Serious Sam 4 might have interested me if I hadn't seen all the bad reviews.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, if you're willing to wait for a game(possibly because you have like 400 other steam games you also bought on sale), you can get some really nice discounts. You know that game that was full price a year ago? Now it's $20 and it's the GOTY edition. I paid 1/3 of of the launch price for a more complete product.

And then still not play it for a year because you're still working through the backlog from the past 100 games you bought on sale.

The joy of deep discount sales.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I rarely get anything from these sales anymore. Been like that for a long while. Just Space Channel 5 Part 2 this time, just Crazy Taxi the last time. Will wait until Doom Eternal is even cheaper, since it happens so fast.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I remember getting 1 year old games for $5. That was a sale. They never do such things anymore

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I remember getting 1 year old games for $5. That was a sale. They never do such things anymore
Do you remember what games? Cause the sale price is set by the publisher, not Steam.