Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm kinda tired of cyberpunk hyper focus on anarchy so I quite liked that ghost in the shell isn't about scrapy anarchist taking out the evil corp (although at the same time you could claim that if it's not punk it can't be cyberpunk). Company/govenement in GiTS aren't cartoonishly evil which is nice for a change (if I do end up playing cyberpunk I'll totally play corp, hopefully that's not just the mustachio twirling evil playtrough). If anyone want more japenes cyberpunk, check out the appleseed manga, by the same game guy who made the ghost in the shell manga (which is pretty different from the anime/movie).
Yeah, and as much as I like Appleseed, the good guys are literally cops.

Don't get me wrong, Shirow absolutely nails the aesthetics, but you do need the punk. Armitage III fucks hard in that regard.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So far I'm hearing some reviews etc taking issue with identity stuff in the game saying it's not as big a focus as they'd like or something?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't care what this forum says I have it, and I am will play it at Midnight on December 10.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean, the most entertaining thing so far off the twitter trend is that there's apparently 6 penis options and only one vagina (I"m guessing this is Conan Exiles rules probably, and the female option is for breast shapes)
It's times like this when I realize my decision never to join or follow twitter was a sound one and I have no regrets.

I mean, not like I needed more reasons, but this is yet another one.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
So far I'm hearing some reviews etc taking issue with identity stuff in the game saying it's not as big a focus as they'd like or something?
As I understand it, the game acknowledges the existence of trans people by, like, having a billboard of a girl with a huge cock, but that is the only kind of context in which you get to see that idea dealt with. The objection is that it often uses the aesthetic of transness as set dressing but doesn't do anything that examines the idea of it in this world so it feels exploitative, and also a missed opportunity in a transhumanist setting.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I make it a point to avoid reviews until after I play the game so I'm not reading any of that stuff but yeah, super excited for this, it's kinda hilarious to realize it's almost out, it's been, what, 7 years?
Yeah, they teased it like crazy long ago. Def excited to finally play it as well. Expected bugs and so-so gameplay but CDPR always delivers in the story department.

Wanna know my secret?

I dunno wtf cyberpunk is. :)
I personally always associate it with 80s anime inspired by western 80s(late 70s) classics like Terminator and Blade Runner. Like Akira, Neo Tokyo, AD Police, Angel Cop, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed etc. My personal favorite is Texhnolyze which I consider the greatest work of fiction ever created. There is also some really spectacular cyberpunk manga like Blame! and Biomega.

I guess 'historically' cyberpunk is about alienated loners in a society in decline with rapidly evolving technology. I believe the term was coined with William Gibson's novel Neuromancer.

It's one of my most favorite genres for sure but unfortunately it has been slim pickings in the last few decades. Which is kind of peculiar given the state of the world and the story opportunities this setting provides.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Also hearing word that it can trigger epileptic seizures, so, like, be careful if you have epilepsy (which I'm sure you are).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Yeah his writing could be pretty dry. I didn't read too many of his books, I think I read like...3 or 4 of them? I don't remember much beyond the character that Jade (From Johnny Mnemonic) was based on. She was more of a recurring character in his novels than anyone else. The cybernetic street samurai.
Molly. Personally love William Gibson's writing.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None

For those of you suffering from epilepsy, be advised.

I dunno wtf cyberpunk is. :)
Cyberpunk as a genre deals with the social effects of technological advancement in science, information technology, computers and networks while maintaining a societal order similar to the current one, but rapidly decayed as a result to such technological advancement. High tech, low life Techno Dystopia, if you will. It differs from a lot of dystopian/apocalyptic fiction in that the mass societal decay didn't come out of a major disaster but rather through years of corporate influence growing to the point where the corps essentially run things as they see fit. Cyberpunk fiction is eerily reminiscent of current day life, just factoring in a rapid decay of living standards. Cyberpunk protagonists are by and large rebels or criminals, often hackers or street survivalists trying to make ends meet in a huge city sprawl. It has its origins in early 80's counterculture (and is thus a highly political genre) and the first major book of the genre is generally considered to be WIlliam Gibson's Neuromancer.

Cyberpunk the RPG by Mike Pondsmith is a faithful distillation of cyberpunk themes in the tabletop market. Highly political (as Cyberpunk should be), it did a great job at depicting the squalor of everyday life in cyberpunk-land, kept the grittiness of the genre that inspired it, and had classes that either consisted of rebels, mavericks or corporate slaves. Cyberpunk RED, the newest, just released edition, continues this tradition, and having read the core rulebook I am very satisfied.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Well that's just a recipe for trouble.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I'm kinda tired of cyberpunk hyper focus on anarchy so I quite liked that ghost in the shell isn't about scrapy anarchist taking out the evil corp (although at the same time you could claim that if it's not punk it can't be cyberpunk). Company/govenement in GiTS aren't cartoonishly evil which is nice for a change (if I do end up playing cyberpunk I'll totally play corp, hopefully that's not just the mustachio twirling evil playtrough). If anyone want more japenes cyberpunk, check out the appleseed manga, by the same game guy who made the ghost in the shell manga (which is pretty different from the anime/movie).
I agree.

Never could do much with the Punk part of Cyberpunk. That is why i generally prefer the Post-Cyberpunk genre.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Took me five years to play TW3. And at like 75% off too, as a vastly better experience than at launch. I was never getting this game at launch, so I'll wait and see what becomes of it years down the road.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The idea of Cyberpunk is to show how bad it is to let corporations profits be put ahead of the needs of the people.
I feel there should be more cyberpunk on the syllabus. Just get rid of, like, Marlowe or Keats or something.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I agree.

Never could do much with the Punk part of Cyberpunk. That is why i generally prefer the Post-Cyberpunk genre.
Yeah I think it has to do with Japan's overall culture towards society and community. It's why their super hero anime My Hero Academia is just as much about society and working for it, when western super heroes are usually loners working against the system.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Molly. Personally love William Gibson's writing.
Yes, Molly. I do find it odd that I just couldn't get into his books that much. I mean I read them back in the 80s/90s, when those books were really hot, and he was the new hotness. But I don't really recall reading more than like 2-3 of his books. I just couldn't get into them, which is odd, because back then, I was the ideal market for his material. I tried picking up the neuromancer audiobook a year or so ago, but didn't get very far before putting it down.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Also hearing word that it can trigger epileptic seizures, so, like, be careful if you have epilepsy (which I'm sure you are).
I heard that someone who was playing CP2077 to review for a review company had a fucking seizure while playing. Imagine CDPR shitting their pants after that, fucking lol.